Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

12 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

Our bit of lemonade without the sugar today, reached a difficult decision regarding our elderly dog Biscuit and had her put down.  15 years since we adopted her at the Richmond shelter.  No data as to how old she was then.  Blinded by some genetic condition, hobbled by arthritis, and mentally she just wasn't with us as anymore.  The vet agreed, my wife agreed, so why do I feel like s**t?

Lion King  

So sorry to hear this QSS. It sounds like the right decision but that doesn't make it any easier. I'm afraid I'll be facing the same heartbreak myself in the not too distant. 

11 hours ago, Lois R said:

Que, sorry for your loss.

I have some sad news myself.....my brother-in-law died last week. It was quite a shock to my sister (and to me). Still processing the news. It was unexpected. He was actually at the Dr's office for something else and had a heart attack☹️

Lois, thoughts and best wishes to you and your sister at this sad time, it's so difficult for those left behind when someone goes so unexpectedly with no time to prepare for it. The only comfort we could take when we lost my father very suddenly was that it was better for him than a long, drawn out illness would have been.

• Like 3

I went on a tour of Crystal Serenity today.  I must say that I was impressed. There are many lounges, bars and even theatre-type venues.  Also plenty of restaurants, including an al fresco area between the pool and the buffet dining area.  Lovely menus.  Our TA said the food is excellent.  Even cups and saucers were very pretty!

We were shown several cabin/suite levels.  Yes, the smallest cabins are only 20 sq m, but they are big enough for one passenger, and the shower is large.  Crystal designates the window view cabins as solo suites a permanent solo supplement of only 10%.  That is very enticing for a solo cruiser. There are some balcony cabins, same size, also designated solo.  The new double size suites were great.  Some cabins have been left with the older layout and more timber, as previous Crystal passengers like them.

I had never even considered Crystal, but today’s tour has certainly changed my mind.  All the posts about slipping food standards helped.  Of course, destination and price will still be a deciding factor.

Two visits to the speciality restaurants is included in an 11 day cruise, and $50 charged after that.

IMG_4194.thumb.jpeg.9187029abd91b5883f3107dbe5911e98.jpeg

IMG_4200.thumb.jpeg.0a3f51334a08a0ab14173594e7a2a31f.jpeg

IMG_4201.thumb.jpeg.622e3d3fea28188b50374aaa192fb3dd.jpeg

• Like 9

48 minutes ago, Port Power said:

I went on a tour of Crystal Serenity today.  I must say that I was impressed. There are many lounges, bars and even theatre-type venues.  Also plenty of restaurants, including an al fresco area between the pool and the buffet dining area.  Lovely menus.  Our TA said the food is excellent.  Even cups and saucers were very pretty!

We were shown several cabin/suite levels.  Yes, the smallest cabins are only 20 sq m, but they are big enough for one passenger, and the shower is large.  Crystal designates the window view cabins as solo suites a permanent solo supplement of only 10%.  That is very enticing for a solo cruiser. There are some balcony cabins, same size, also designated solo.  The new double size suites were great.  Some cabins have been left with the older layout and more timber, as previous Crystal passengers like them.

I had never even considered Crystal, but today’s tour has certainly changed my mind.  All the posts about slipping food standards helped.  Of course, destination and price will still be a deciding factor.

Two visits to the speciality restaurants is included in an 11 day cruise, and $50 charged after that.

We are also taking a look at Crystal.

I believe we will see you on the second half of your cruise on the Wind!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Port Power said:

I Must say that my cruise on Crystal in January 22 was incredible. It did knock spots off SS in almost every respect and that was even before Manfredi got involved. I Can’t wait to try them.

In a very disturbing turn of events, tonight whilst watching some YouTube videos in the interest of future adventure planning, an American gentleman during a suite tour pointed at a kettle and called it a coffee maker. Upon my exclamation my DH informed me that Americans don’t have kettles and make their tea in a microwave. Please put my mind at rest that these are just scurrilous rumours! The British method of making tea isn’t quite as ritualistic as the Japanese method but not far short. The thought of making tea in the pobty ping sends shivers down my spine. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, DavyWavey70 said:

In a very disturbing turn of events, tonight whilst watching some YouTube videos in the interest of future adventure planning, an American gentleman during a suite tour pointed at a kettle and called it a coffee maker. Upon my exclamation my DH informed me that Americans don’t have kettles and make their tea in a microwave. Please put my mind at rest that these are just scurrilous rumours! The British method of making tea isn’t quite as ritualistic as the Japanese method but not far short. The thought of making tea in the pobty ping sends shivers down my spine. 

You mean it's not the night bottle?

Your Waviness - Some bad news and some good news.  Indeed, some people on left side of the pond do, indeed, nuke cups with water & God knows what abominations have been substituted for proper English Breakfast.  It happens - get over it.  I'm happy to report that our family has an electric kettle, and tea is made in proper manner - notwithstanding that the ladies prefer all manner of exotic botanicals & such.  During years of my being in business, when I would set up a first meeting to discuss with potential clients us building a house in exchange for fleecing them of all spare cash they had lying about, I would tell them "We'll put the kettle on." It set a civilized tone, I thought.  I'm reminded way back in the day, when I would do three day cross country ski trips around Crater Lake in Oregon, mid winter, at high elevation snowy camping spots in the dark stormy nights 50 miles from nearest warm pub, we would visit other tents and ask if they would like some tea.  We had a little white gas stove, and would do it up proper.  No tents were burned down, btw.  For certain members of the general population, we would also have a flask of Drambuie, just in case.  Just because you're in the wilderness doesn't mean civility has to be abandoned...

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, turtlemichael said:

You mean it's not the night bottle?

Apparently not.

10 minutes ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

Your Waviness - Some bad news and some good news.  Indeed, some people on left side of the pond do, indeed, nuke cups with water & God knows what abominations have been substituted for proper English Breakfast.  It happens - get over it.  I'm happy to report that our family has an electric kettle, and tea is made in proper manner - notwithstanding that the ladies prefer all manner of exotic botanicals & such.  During years of my being in business, when I would set up a first meeting to discuss with potential clients us building a house in exchange for fleecing them of all spare cash they had lying about, I would tell them "We'll put the kettle on." It set a civilized tone, I thought.  I'm reminded way back in the day, when I would do three day cross country ski trips around Crater Lake in Oregon, mid winter, at high elevation snowy camping spots in the dark stormy nights 50 miles from nearest warm pub, we would visit other tents and ask if they would like some tea.  We had a little white gas stove, and would do it up proper.  No tents were burned down, btw.  For certain members of the general population, we would also have a flask of Drambuie, just in case.  Just because you're in the wilderness doesn't mean civility has to be abandoned...

Hehe WWFT, I’m so pleased you do things properly and wouldn’t be at all surprised at people handing over their life savings and their grannies teeth in such a situation. I Hope you warmed the pot? Full marks also for the flask of Drambuie, a nice touch.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Will Work for Tiramisu said:

I'm reminded way back in the day, when I would do three day cross country ski trips around Crater Lake in Oregon, mid winter, at high elevation snowy camping spots in the dark stormy nights 50 miles from nearest warm pub, we would visit other tents and ask if they would like some tea.  We had a little white gas stove, and would do it up proper.  No tents were burned down, btw.

You didn't need an environmental impact statement for that stove back then?  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am not sure if SS is reading CC and have noted my somewhat negative recent posts or it is because of 3 rather robust discussions we have had in the last 4 months re unacceptable changes to 3 of our upcoming cruises but somehow the mid cruise survey didn't make it to our cabin.

• Haha 6

5 hours ago, drron29 said:

I am not sure if SS is reading CC and have noted my somewhat negative recent posts or it is because of 3 rather robust discussions we have had in the last 4 months re unacceptable changes to 3 of our upcoming cruises but somehow the mid cruise survey didn't make it to our cabin.

It's all electronic these days Ron, maybe look on the app? Or the TV. I haven't had a paper one for several cruises now.

1 hour ago, jollyjones said:

It's all electronic these days Ron, maybe look on the app? Or the TV. I haven't had a paper one for several cruises now.

Actually it isn't. I was looking every day for it in my messages but it was a paper survey. I told Reception I wanted one so now have it to do.

• Like 2

On 3/25/2024 at 8:45 PM, QueSeraSera said:

Our bit of lemonade without the sugar today, reached a difficult decision regarding our elderly dog Biscuit and had her put down.  15 years since we adopted her at the Richmond shelter.  No data as to how old she was then.  Blinded by some genetic condition, hobbled by arthritis, and mentally she just wasn't with us as anymore.  The vet agreed, my wife agreed, so why do I feel like s**t?

Lion King  

@QueSeraSera- I am so very very sorry and know how heartbroken you must feel. Hopefully you can take comfort in the wise words you shared with me recently: 

On 3/17/2024 at 7:57 PM, QueSeraSera said:

I do believe our loved deceased pets wait for us somewhere, somehow in the next life.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 3/25/2024 at 9:13 PM, Lois R said:

Que, sorry for your loss.

I have some sad news myself.....my brother-in-law died last week. It was quite a shock to my sister (and to me). Still processing the news. It was unexpected. He was actually at the Dr's office for something else and had a heart attack☹️

Oh my word Lois.  My condolences to you and your family. 

29 minutes ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

Oh my word Lois.  My condolences to you and your family. 

Thank you......and to you as well.

• Like 1

Good Afternoon Coolers ….

Glancing in I thought I’d just say how lovely it was to see that the  Cooler 5 has had a million views and 20k’ish posts.  What on earth happened?! 🙂  I wonder how many posts and views there are since we collectively started this mini-community which was intended to be specifically about nothing too important and it is a credit to all new and established members that stop by and sometimes even stay a while that it survives and is a place of sanctuary and sanity in an increasingly bewildering world. 

Anyway, self-indulgently I’ll share that it is our 50th Anniversary today. and I’m so happy that she still hasn’t found the combination of the padlock and made her escape.  She is simply the loveliest thing on two legs and I’m so happy she has enjoyed our journey together.

Some still might like my mundane food piccies so today was chill garlic enormous prawns with home made baguette and Laurent Perrier.

Keep enjoying this community and if you are a lurker who has yet to post please just visit and post.

Bestest wishes to all. 

IMG_4762.jpeg

IMG_4760.jpeg

IMG_4758.jpeg

IMG_4757.jpeg

• Like 13

16 minutes ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Anyway, self-indulgently I’ll share that it is our 50th Anniversary today. and I’m so happy that she still hasn’t found the combination of the padlock and made her escape.  She is simply the loveliest thing on two legs and I’m so happy she has enjoyed our journey together.   Some still might like my mundane food piccies so today was chill garlic enormous prawns with home made baguette and Laurent Perrier.

Congrats on your 50th and super loved the shrimp visuals.  Keep it coming.  Wonderful sharing.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

• Like 1

Lovely to hear from you, Jeff.  Those prawns look utterly delicious - and your wife may be the most gorgeous thing on two legs, but she has bagged herself a man who can certainly satisfy her tastebuds, something many of us would give a lot for!

Congratulations on your anniversary, and may you have many more.

Lola

• Like 3

On 3/28/2024 at 1:13 AM, Emtbsam said:

We are also taking a look at Crystal.

I believe we will see you on the second half of your cruise on the Wind!

I’m on just one cruise, Reykjavik to Longyearbyen in June.  Are you on the same expedition cruise?  I hope we manage to meet up.  There will be a lot of Australians aboard!

11 minutes ago, Port Power said:

I’m on just one cruise, Reykjavik to Longyearbyen in June.  Are you on the same expedition cruise?  I hope we manage to meet up.  There will be a lot of Australians aboard!

We are on at the end of June.  Sorry we will miss you.

7 hours ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Glancing in I thought I’d just say how lovely it was to see that the  Cooler 5 has had a million views and 20k’ish posts.  What on earth happened?! 🙂  I wonder how many posts and views there are since we collectively started this mini-community which was intended to be specifically about nothing too important and it is a credit to all new and established members that stop by and sometimes even stay a while that it survives and is a place of sanctuary and sanity in an increasingly bewildering world. 

Anyway, self-indulgently I’ll share that it is our 50th Anniversary today. and I’m so happy that she still hasn’t found the combination of the padlock and made her escape.  She is simply the loveliest thing on two legs and I’m so happy she has enjoyed our journey together.

Some still might like my mundane food piccies so today was chill garlic enormous prawns with home made baguette and Laurent Perrier.

Keep enjoying this community and if you are a lurker who has yet to post please just visit and post.

Bestest wishes to all. 

IMG_4762.jpeg

IMG_4760.jpeg

IMG_4758.jpeg

IMG_4757.jpeg

Wishing you both a very happy golden wedding anniversary Jeff. The prawns look beautiful.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Bestest wishes to all. 

IMG_4762.jpeg

IMG_4760.jpeg

IMG_4758.jpeg

IMG_4757.jpeg

Congrats !!!!

• Like 1