For those who participate in Afternoon Tea

bichonandon

This will be my very first Princess cruise. We'll be on the Star. We are super excited because we are looking for a line into which our lifestyle will fit. When I was told there is afternoon tea on Princess, I was super excited. But I'm wondering, what is it like? I'm American, so of course we don't usually have afternoon tea, but I'm a tea lover. Is that enough?

Tell me what you enjoy about afternoon tea on Princess

The wait staff offer tea (it's pre-made - you do not have your choice of teas unless you go to the High Tea which is offered once per cruise for a fee). They have trays of small sandwiches that they bring by. Then they offer a variety of pastries - my favorite is the scone with clotted cream. We enjoyed it.

They serve scones with jam, finger sandwiches, cookies, and tea of course. It is served in one of the Dining rooms. Servers come around with trays of the various items and you select what you want to eat. It is a lovely experience. It is usually 3:30 to 4:30 on most afternoons.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Forums mobile app

This will be my very first Princess cruise. We'll be on the Star. We are super excited because we are looking for a line into which our lifestyle will fit. When I was told there is afternoon tea on Princess, I was super excited. But I'm wondering, what is it like? I'm American, so of course we don't usually have afternoon tea, but I'm a tea lover. Is that enough?

The afternoon tea is a nice way to relax & meet other people. You will normally be seated with other people.

They will serve you the tea that they have made but you can request something else like Chamomile & they will bring it along with a pot of hot water. They us to bring around a container with various types of teas but that’s no more with Princess. They always have scones with jam & the slotted cream which are delicious. There are also trays with various items for your sweet tooth. They will also bring around a tray of small sandwiches.

This is one of my favorite things to do so I’ll plan what I do around this.

Some of the large new Princess ships, like the Majestic, offer High Tea for an added cost.

If anyone is watching there sugar intake you can ask if they have anything that’s sugar free & they will usually be able to find something.

There is nothing to not enjoy.

Tom😎

The wait staff offer tea (it's pre-made - you do not have your choice of teas unless you go to the High Tea which is offered once per cruise for a fee).

Some of the large new Princess ships, like the Majestic, offer High Tea for an added cost.

The Royal/Regal/Majestic have both High Tea for a cost and the regular tea with no charge.

I don't want to be the board pedant--but when the same error in terminology is repeated three times....

The Royal Afternoon Tea offered for an upcharge on Royal/Regal/Majestic Princess is not High Tea. Afternoon Tea becomes High Tea when adding a hot savory dish such as soup or quiche. Princess' version of Royal Afternoon Tea merely adds additional sweets (a hot sticky pudding and fresh berries). Plus the choice of individually brewed pots of tea--which you actually can get for the asking at the standard Tea in the MDR.

But for the OP this is moot as they are on Star Princess which offers only the daily included Afternoon Tea. My message is: eat a light (or no) lunch--especially as tea time has been recently moved up from 3:30 to 3:00 most days--and just enjoy the delicious sandwiches, sweets and scones and the white glove service.

• Like 1

I love afternoon tea served when I’m in the Sanctuary. Here’s a general idea of the selection of goodies available, subject to change. (I was the only person in the Sanctuary at this time so instead of wheeling carts to my lounger, they brought me a selection. I did not take or order all of these. :) )

9478a46d4c8f70d207ba953ff23281f6.png

The tea served on Princess is not a high tea by any means--not the standard one or the upcharge one. It isn't nearly as fancy as on some other lines, but it doesn't have an upcharge either. You can get standard Lipton tea, coffee, or decaf. On request, you can get any of the herbal or other teas that are normally at the buffet.

Food is scones (usually with or without raisins) served with clotted cream and jam, finger sandwiches, and desert items. If you just want the scones, they are also served at the buffet.

It is a lovely afternoon break.

I like this thread. I have never made it to Afternoon Tea, so it was interesting to read what it is about. (I am normally too busy with other activities, and I am not looking for yet more food in the middle of the afternoon, to spoil my appetite for dinner!!!!) No one mentioned music, so I'll guess there is none.

Once, I did High Tea at the Empress Hotel in Victoria In Canada, many years ago. I enjoyed it, but that was a land-based trip and I wasn't stuffed from a cruise ship!

Bichon, I hope you enjoy it.

FYI...The Patter does not use the term “High Tea” simply it’s stated as “Afternoon Tea”. Just so someone new to Princess isn’t confused when they don’t see High Tea listed in the Patter.

The time was moved as some ships start the dinner in the MDR at 5 pm as was the case when I was on the Ruby in March.

Tom😀

• Like 1

I generally order hot water with lemon since I do not like the strength of their tea brewed. You could bring a tea bag from the buffet and ask for hot water also.

By far, the scones are the must haves.

Holland America has/had an Indonesian Afternoon Tea. I did not care for the tea selections nor the food samples.

Sometimes there is a nice harpist playing during tea time. There is always some kind of background music. It is a nice way to enjoy the afternoon, but way too close to the Platinum/Elite/Suite Happy Hour and/or early Traditional dining.

I don't want to be the board pedant--but when the same error in terminology is repeated three times....

The Royal Afternoon Tea offered for an upcharge on Royal/Regal/Majestic Princess is not High Tea. Afternoon Tea becomes High Tea when adding a hot savory dish such as soup or quiche. Princess' version of Royal Afternoon Tea merely adds additional sweets (a hot sticky pudding and fresh berries). Plus the choice of individually brewed pots of tea--which you actually can get for the asking at the standard Tea in the MDR.

But for the OP this is moot as they are on Star Princess which offers only the daily included Afternoon Tea. My message is: eat a light (or no) lunch--especially as tea time has been recently moved up from 3:30 to 3:00 most days--and just enjoy the delicious sandwiches, sweets and scones and the white glove service.

Thanks for the clarification - I think people get confused about what is High Tea.

I'm looking forward to cruising on Ruby Princess next month ... and believe it or not, I do prefer the tea to be already brewed - rather than a tea bag and a pot of lukewarm water that is not hot enough to steep the tea.....

I never went to tea when we had early fixed dining, but have been several times when I had anytime. I found the elegant service delightful, and I just love the tiny portions, so you can try a few things.

There is something so absolutely old worldly elegant about afternoon tea on Princess ships: the white glove service, the pre-brewed tea, the cookies, tiny desserts and sandwiches. As others have stated, the warm scones with the cream are the highlight. I have been fortunate to have been seated with some very interesting people from around the world, something that does not happen at dinner time as we are usually a party of five and have our own table. OP, you must do it at least once! I’ve done a couple of fairly similar land based ones (no, sadly, never the Empress) that have set me back about $50.

For anyone travelling with grandparents, take them for afternoon tea. What a great way to spend some time together and, hey, you’ll be grandchild #1 in their eyes ;).

OP, you didn’t ask, but there is no dress code. People come in their afternoon attire (no bathing suits, though), so the gamut from shorts, jeans, sundresses, etc. I usually stay about half an hour and find that I get seated much faster if I come about halfway through teatime. On the other hand, if you are waiting at the doors just before they open up, you get to see all of the waitstaff in their finery, lined up inside the dining room. I hope afternoon tea is something Princess does not cut back on, as it is one of the special Princess touches that keeps me coming back.

• Like 1

scones with jam & the slotted (sic) cream Unfortunately we have never had clotted cream on Princess, only whipped. Clotted cream is totally different and far thicker and nicer than what we have had.

You can get standard Lipton tea, coffee, or decaf. If it is going to be "Afternoon Tea" I wish they wouldn't serve coffee!! But I am a Pom who was brought up on Sunday "Afternoon Tea" in My Gran's Front Parlour!!

I agree that, while it is not up to the standard of the Randolph or Selfridge's or even the Princess in Victoria "Afternoon Tea", on Princess is not to be missed especially if you want something special.

Fishywood is right. High Tea is actually a supper tea, because it includes a hot dish. Afternoon tea is a light repast.

My friends call anything after noon that includes tea High Tea. I just roll my eyes.

Privately, of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Haha 1

Bichonandon, Afternoon Tea is delightful. I highly recommend it. I have asked for a table for 2 on many cruises and they will accommodate if you don’t wish to sit with a group. I hope you enjoy your cruise.

Fishywood is right. High Tea is actually a supper tea, because it includes a hot dish. Afternoon tea is a light repast.

My friends call anything after noon that includes tea High Tea. I just roll my eyes.

Privately, of course.

My mother explained it to me that "High Tea" was actually a working man's dinner, served later in the afternoon at the dinner table, a "high" table. It's meant for someone who needs to get to bed early to be ready to work again the next morning. Afternoon tea is served in the drawing room with light foods to hold you over until an 8:00 p.m. dinner.

I agree about the clotted cream. Look in a local specialty store for Devonshire Cream. That's the real deal.

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. I'm loving all of this information, and especially the extra advice regarding personal preference. I was discussing it with another member of our traveling group, and she wondered if there is a dress code. Well, that's been answered so this is great!

Very much appreciated!

scones with jam & the slotted (sic) cream Unfortunately we have never had clotted cream on Princess, only whipped. Clotted cream is totally different and far thicker and nicer than what we have had.

You can get standard Lipton tea, coffee, or decaf. If it is going to be "Afternoon Tea" I wish they wouldn't serve coffee!!

Why, Mike, do you wish they would not serve coffee? I for one am glad they do, as I do not care for tea.

Why, Mike, do you wish they would not serve coffee? I for one am glad they do, as I do not care for tea.

Just the way I was brought up in the UK in the 50s. I had it with both sets of grandparents at different times and coffee was not "de rigueur" especially then. It was usually just "Afternoon Tea" but occasionally we did have "High Tea" which had added savoury items but not necessarily hot ones. VBG!!