Emotional Support Animals No Longer Allowed on Royal Caribbean Cruise Ships

Nothing is going to change!

Do you really think that someone who is arrogant enough to call their dog an emotional support animal won't just fill out the ADA requirements and continue bringing their pets on board. Sounds like RC expects this and probably won't really enforce the new rules anyway.

In order to bring a service dog, it will require certification. There are limited numbers of professional organizations accredited to issue certification. Any one could go online and buy a bogus "support dog" certificate. This new policy will slam the door on the bogus fur baby certificate. So glad!!!!

adding: Just spoke to our dog trainer ( stubborn great Dane puppy), she is a service dog trainer and thinks this decision is outstanding.

There is NO SUCH THING as a "professional organizations accredited to issue certification" -- the rules for ADA-allowed service dogs are totally different than the rules for ESA / Emotional Support Animals.

This Emotional support animal crap is a slap in the face to the deserving people who truly need service animals.

Oh,

Let me add to that list.

Its a problem for:

Landlords

Restaurants

Hotels

Movie theaters

Grocery stores

Malls

Amusement parks

ESAs are only "protected" for housing -- grocery stores, movie theaters, restaurants, etc., should not be allowing them through the doors.

I saw this and came to Cruise Critic to see what was being posted. I can't believe it isn't being discussed so I will start the discussion and say finally, it's about time and I hope it is enforced.

https://cruisefever.net/royal-caribbean-banning-emotional-support-animals-from-their-cruise-ships/

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I hope so and I am a "dog person"! Canada does not consider them a service dog so no license.

Was this really a problem worthy of new policies? I don't recall ever seeing an animal on a ship, legitimate service animal or otherwise. I will be D+ as of the end of my next voyage. Certainly some people need their service animals to be allowed to come with them, and I suppose some tiny fraction of the population will try to misrepresent their ordinary pet as a service animal in order to bring them along, but I've never seen it, much less seen a rash of it worthy of new policies to put a stop to it.

Was this really a problem worthy of new policies? I don't recall ever seeing an animal on a ship, legitimate service animal or otherwise. I will be D+ as of the end of my next voyage. Certainly some people need their service animals to be allowed to come with them, and I suppose some tiny fraction of the population will try to misrepresent their ordinary pet as a service animal in order to bring them along, but I've never seen it, much less seen a rash of it worthy of new policies to put a stop to it.
In a word...yes.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Yes, this is one of many stories about "Emotional Support" animals. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/woman-denied-emotional-support-peacock-on-united-flight/

I'm happy to cruise with trained and certified "Service Animals", I'm proud to cruise with fellow veterans that require trained, certified PTSD Service Animals. I should not have to cruise with the Rabbits, Iquanas, Hedgehogs, Snakes, Peacocks and other various types of animals that I have seen represented as "Emotional Support" animals. Charter a ship for a Wildlife Cruise, I would neither book that cruise or complain.

You're lucky. Been cruising on Royal over 30yrs, it is recent development/abuse. Had 3 dogs on my last cruise, this on smaller Serenade, one before dog Barked at me every time I walked by their door on a Sea Day. Seen Dogs sitting on lap eating off plates in WindJammer and Main Dining. That's just in last year...

Two years ago I was on Oasis and a dog ran onto the ice rink during a performance. Dangerous for the performers who are already having to deal with a moving ice rink. I have never seen a dog on a cruise ship before and wondered how this obviously non service dog was allowed onboard. And to have them in the dining room!? Where on land are you allowed to bring a dog (except service dog) in a place where food is served.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Forums mobile app

Yes, this is one of many stories about "Emotional Support" animals. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/woman-denied-emotional-support-peacock-on-united-flight/

I'm happy to cruise with trained and certified "Service Animals", I'm proud to cruise with fellow veterans that require trained, certified PTSD Service Animals. I should not have to cruise with the Rabbits, Iquanas, Hedgehogs, Snakes, Peacocks and other various types of animals that I have seen represented as "Emotional Support" animals. Charter a ship for a Wildlife Cruise, I would neither book that cruise or complain.

"Dexter's Instagram account notes his "human friends" will be driving him cross-country." Why? Peacocks can fly. Just have it follow the plane.

I guess people using scooters or wheelchairs are next. I use a scooter when cruising which allows me pretty much use of the ship i cannot walk more than a few feet at a time. Ive heard the remarks behind my back, cowards would not address me face to face. Oh boy, i think some people should read Mein Kaumpf. Get the picture?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have to use a rollater when we cruise because I cannot walk long distances without needing to sit. This is after a PE and DVTs over a year ago. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do!

DW has MS and based on a med she was taking got seizures. Turns out our Maltpoo would give her 3-5 minutes warning before a seizure. She used him as a Service Dog for years but we never took him on a cruise because he got his capability naturally and was not trained for that.

I have to use a rollater when we cruise because I cannot walk long distances without needing to sit. This is after a PE and DVTs over a year ago. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do!

DW has MS and based on a med she was taking got seizures. Turns out our Maltpoo would give her 3-5 minutes warning before a seizure. She used him as a Service Dog for years but we never took him on a cruise because he got his capability naturally and was not trained for that.

Doesn't really matter. If you can answer the questions "what service does the animal provide?" and "do you have a disability", and the dog is well behaved and under control, then you are fine with claiming the dog as a service animal. There is no requirement for formal training under the ADA, and the cruise line cannot require it.

I guess people using scooters or wheelchairs are next. I use a scooter when cruising which allows me pretty much use of the ship i cannot walk more than a few feet at a time. Ive heard the remarks behind my back, cowards would not address me face to face. Oh boy, i think some people should read Mein Kaumpf. Get the picture?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Obviously that will never happen because people with real mobility issues need scooters and wheelchairs.

The same way people have a real need for service animals and will continue to be able to bring those animals

on the ship.

I am curious why you think anyone would be afraid to address you face to face when you cannot walk more than

a few feet.

And for those of you stating that anyone with a certificate for a service dog is a faker, this is not quite correct. While there is no national registry for service animals, and there is no requirement to have a certificate or even to prove training, many extremely old and established, reputable service dog providers (Seeing eye, Dogs4Vets, etc) do provide certification and do belong to industry groups that provide the standards for issuing those certificates.

And for those of you stating that anyone with a certificate for a service dog is a faker, this is not quite correct. While there is no national registry for service animals, and there is no requirement to have a certificate or even to prove training, many extremely old and established, reputable service dog providers (Seeing eye, Dogs4Vets, etc) do provide certification and do belong to industry groups that provide the standards for issuing those certificates.

These are recognized industry groups that provide excellent training and followup.

Most of these documents cannot be verified by RCI, are easily faked with a scanner and a PC, or available online. People carry around doctors' notes like they are an official document. Again, I can print one from the Internet in 2 minutes.

The guy checking your license on some Caribbean island really has no idea what a valid license from Connecticut is supposed to look like.

Passports are really the only universally recognized document, but even those can be forged. :cool:

How about folks who use giant jogging strollers on the ship? I'd rather see a tiny dog stroller

Since true service dogs would never be in a stroller, you are advocating for people to be allowed to bring whatever dog or pet they wish solely for their own emotional support.

Since true service dogs would never be in a stroller, you are advocating for people to be allowed to bring whatever dog or pet they wish solely for their own emotional support.
Um, I was referring to toddlers. In my opinion, giant baby strollers are more annoying than small dog strollers