Telling room stewards told to hawk Carnival merchandise is wrong!

twodjs

Troll harder next time
I would take a post like this from a first-time poster with a grain of salt. But the OP has been on Cruise Critic for over 8 years and has several hundred posts. I doubt someone waited that long to raise an issue just for fun.

On the other hand, I read the comments on John Heald's Facebook post. There are a lot of people who are Cruise Critic detractors. Apparently they think we're here just to post "fake news" and to complain. It's sad that they think that.

I’ve been on several Carnival cruises and never asked. But look at it this way, you don’t think it happens when they have the “shopping shows” on board the ship or all the stuff at the shops, or the spa, or the fitness stuff. People choose to partake in whatever they want. Never feel obligated to buy what you don’t want to buy on the ship. If you don’t like Carnival, there’s other cruise lines. See ya!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Every cruise line I've been on has Cruise Directors hawking all the time over the PA system. Sometimes in multiple languages. If someone has a hard time saying no, vendors on shore are going to have a record day.

New restaurant failure rate is 59% in the first three years. Your point?

Best Buy's stock price is at an all-time high. Your point?

McDonald's also near record highs. Your point?

Toys R Us was given about 5 billion in debt when investors took it private. Your point?

Upsells are not a loss. Thanks for your business lesson.

Well.

1. You are clearly using different data that are available.

2. The stock price does not dispute the closing of stores.

3. The stock price does not dispute the inhumane treatment of its employees.

4. Toys r us is bankrupt.

Upsells do cause loss, If you can't find the point, I'm not going to bother explaining it to you. There's a whole internet out there for you, Sparky, go forth and learn. I encourage you to report back with more snark.

Every cruise line I've been on has Cruise Directors hawking all the time over the PA system. Sometimes in multiple languages. If someone has a hard time saying no, vendors on shore are going to have a record day.

My point exactly. Those of us smart enough, find our way through the propaganda and get to what we’ve paid for, “a nice relaxing vacation”.

I would take a post like this from a first-time poster with a grain of salt. But the OP has been on Cruise Critic for over 8 years and has several hundred posts. I doubt someone waited that long to raise an issue just for fun.

On the other hand, I read the comments on John Heald's Facebook post. There are a lot of people who are Cruise Critic detractors. Apparently they think we're here just to post "fake news" and to complain. It's sad that they think that.

My thought exactly. Who is the person taking info from CC, embellishing, and then asking JH? Is it someone who works with JH that “trolls” CC? Is it just a CC troll? I just don’t get it but it’s really annoying to read the JHFB posts.

My thought exactly. Who is the person taking info from CC, embellishing, and then asking JH? Is it someone who works with JH that “trolls” CC? Is it just a CC troll? I just don’t get it but it’s really annoying to read the JHFB posts.

Don’t know if they still exist,but years ago there was a FB group called something like cruise critic sucks. They took delight in coming here and posting crazy stories, photoshopped images and out right lies....then run to JH page to make CC look bad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don’t know if they still exist,but years ago there was a FB group called something like cruise critic sucks. They took delight in coming here and posting crazy stories, photoshopped images and out right lies....then run to JH page to make CC look bad.

If that is the case - and I'm not doubting you - it must really suck having a life so devoid of meaning that you think doing that sort of thing is fun. Bless their hearts.

And we know you hate Carnival and love Royal. We get it.

But thanks for confirming that as far as you know, stewards aren't hawking.

You are so wrong and so opinionated. I have done 92 Carnival Cruises and 2 more booked this year. I will reach 100 Carnival cruises in the near future. I have only 36 on Royal. But I, like MANY others, are disappointed in the trend that Carnival is taking and feel that current management practices are slowly sucking some of the fun out of the "Fun Ships". Carnival has historically offered a good product at a price that was better than Royal Caribbean's price. Recently, all too often, that is no longer the case. So put down your Carnival pom poms and go back to your Carnival cubicle.

You are so wrong and so opinionated. I have done 92 Carnival Cruises and 2 more booked this year. I will reach 100 Carnival cruises in the near future. I have only 36 on Royal. But I, like MANY others, are disappointed in the trend that Carnival is taking and feel that current management practices are slowly sucking some of the fun out of the "Fun Ships". Carnival has historically offered a good product at a price that was better than Royal Caribbean's price. Recently, all too often, that is no longer the case. So put down your Carnival pom poms and go back to your Carnival cubicle.

I guess one who may profess how “wrong” and “opinionated” no matter how many cruises you’ve been on may want to suppress your opinion. I don’t put my focus on a cruise ship and it’s “marketing” practices any more. Their tactics have always been there and always will be like all and any cruise line. I take from the cruise what I want and let everyone else chase the propaganda. Some people like the propaganda, let them have it.

Well that would explain some of the distain I have noticed coming from JH toward CC. I never really understood it as many on this board like him/Carnival very much.

Love it,

All true!

I guess one who may profess how “wrong” and “opinionated” no matter how many cruises you’ve been on may want to suppress your opinion. I don’t put my focus on a cruise ship and it’s “marketing” practices any more. Their tactics have always been there and always will be like all and any cruise line. I take from the cruise what I want and let everyone else chase the propaganda. Some people like the propaganda, let them have it.

Amazing how the Walmart of cruise lines can raise prices when other cruise lines have to give away more stuff to fill their ships. Shocking that the Carnival brand has cruisers that like the brand and don't fall for the marketing tactics of others. It is good that the rats are leaving the Fun Ships.

Pretty easy solution for that....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I also find it hard to believe the OP has never been approached by anyone asking to buy something while on a cruise.

Very used to shilling at the restaurants, and almost all PUBLIC areas.

We’ve been fortunate that the Hawking has yet to invade our privacy. About the only time a Steward or Waiters extra tip from us is in jeopardy, is when he gives us a sob story and how we might help him by doing something. We tolerate beggars in the street, but not in our home and the cabin is our home for that week.

Also see potential for abuse: RCCL stopped stocking mini bars and even for pay water in the room because they had too many complaints about passengers being charged for stuff they did not take precisely because there was an incentive for those doing the counting to count badly.

About the only time a Steward or Waiters extra tip from us is in jeopardy, is when he gives us a sob story and how we might help him by doing something. We tolerate beggars in the street, but not in our home and the cabin is our home for that week.
The worst case of this I saw was on an NCL cruise. The assistant waiter had a photo of a little girl and was telling the whole table that it had been six months since he had seen her. I noticed that the photo background was one of the ones used on the ship. I think he picked the photo out of the trash after a cruise.

OK, I don't post much and I love Carnival, but this did happen to us on our last cruise. We bought 1 of the blue beach towels and 1 of the yellow serenity towels. We were glad to do it. I would never dream of complaining or turning in the room steward, so as much as I like listening to John Heald, this is one time I know he's wrong.

Some time ago I filled out the form to purchase 2 beach towels. When I gave it to the steward he thanked me profusely, we chatted and I increased the order to 4 towels. Then he told me if he sold 6 he would get extra time off. I went ahead and increased the order to 6 but felt like I was being taken advantage of.

Apparently Carnival knows what they are doing. Despite Carnival "sucking some of the fun" away, you still plan to sail on Carnival. I personally love Carnival, but no one needs pom-poms around you because Carnival knows you are a lemming who will continue to sail on their ships, no matter how much you complain online. As long as Carnival is smarter than their passengers, they have nothing to worry about.

Edited by PhillyFan33579

I have no idea about an incentive program for the cabin stewards, but this just happened to us this week on the Legend. We were in port all day and when we came back to the cabin, it still wasn’t cleaned yet. We went to sit on our balcony and shortly after, the cabin steward knocked on the balcony door and asked if he could clean the cabin while we were out there. He came back out and handed me an order form and a pen and asked which items we wanted to order. He stood there staring at us waiting for an answer and when I said no thanks, he asked if I was sure I didn’t want something. Said no again and then he left. Completely awkward, and I was irritated that he did that. I don’t think the OP is making up the story!

I'm the OP on this thread. This was my first cruise on Carnival and I had never even heard of John Heald before I posted here. He and his followers have a vile reaction to anything CruiseCritic. I don't appreciate the way they embellished my post in a question to John and certainly don't appreciate the rudeness of many of his followers (and some of the posters on this site).

I'm the OP on this thread. This was my first cruise on Carnival and I had never even heard of John Heald before I posted here. He and his followers have a vile reaction to anything CruiseCritic. I don't appreciate the way they embellished my post in a question to John and certainly don't appreciate the rudeness of many of his followers (and some of the posters on this site).

I think it was one specific poster (“we-man”). Who added value to the post.