Beware Straw Market at Queen's Staircase in Nassau

Last week my ex boss and I were in Nassau on Mariner of the Seas. It was her first cruise. We did the taxi tour of the town (they're all $30 pp) that stopped at The Queen's Staircase. My ex boss saw a train toy carved out of wood that she wanted to get for her 3 yr old. The taxi driver had encouraged all of us to negotiate with the vendors. So instead of paying $15 for it, she and the vendor agreed on $11. Then the vendor says she's going to wrap it for us. She had her back turned to us while she wrapped it. We returned to the ship and later that night as we were packing up we unwrapped it to discover why she had her back to us. She had ripped off all the wheels on one side of the toy train. She was upset to say the least. Fortunately, I picked up a few supplies at Hobby Lobby and my husband fixed it for her.

Shame on her actions on a Sunday, and shame on her period.:mad::mad:

That was just mean. There really was no real reason to do that except to give people a bad impression of the island and straw market. She could not really have increased her earnings by stealing wheels.

The quality of the vendors in Nassau declined drastically after the first years ago. Before the fire I bought lovely rectangle baskets that have lasted for years. I purchased another one a few years ago and it already looks ragged. And the vendors are rude now.

It annoys me they make you walk through that whole temrinal to get from The docks to the street . . they close the gaTes and divert us to the 'shopping' to try and make us spend on their tRINKETS. That about gurantees, i'll not buy a thing. ;EEK;

I'd worry maybe a bug or some bugs are living in those straw bags I'm surprised Agriculture allows us t o bring the straw bags home..

Very good point. I once bought a nice souvenir from a street vendor in Costa Rica. She wrapped it with layers of old newspapers. When I opened the package back in my cabin, a big, ugly and very alive bug of unknown species fell out of the wrapping paper. Good thing it didn't make it into my belongings without me noticing it.

Very good point. I once bought a nice souvenir from a street vendor in Costa Rica. She wrapped it with layers of old newspapers. When I opened the package back in my cabin, a big, ugly and very alive bug of unknown species fell out of the wrapping paper. Good thing it didn't make it into my belongings without me noticing it.

Yuck!

I have posted this many times, Stay away from the Straw market in Nassau. As has been said many time, just an entire block of pushy, not nice people, all selling the same exact junk that they get from the ship that arrives from China.

But why just stop at Nassau, the same applies to many of the islands in the Caribbean. All selling the exact same stuff, all made in China. I know they try to make a living, but they could be polite about it.

If you want authentic anything in Nassau, you have to find some small shop that sells authentic wares made in Nassau.

Cheers

Len

I have posted this many times, Stay away from the Straw market in Nassau. As has been said many time, just an entire block of pushy, not nice people, all selling the same exact junk that they get from the ship that arrives from China.

But why just stop at Nassau, the same applies to many of the islands in the Caribbean. All selling the exact same stuff, all made in China. I know they try to make a living, but they could be polite about it.

If you want authentic anything in Nassau, you have to find some small shop that sells authentic wares made in Nassau.

Cheers

Len

Some here who have cruised for years may remember when ships hardly stopped in Nassau. Crime had gotten too high, locals were treating tourists poorly and the cruse lines listened to guests' complaints and limited visits . Things got some better when they had empty cruise ships docks but seems to be sliding back to old patterns .They may have short memory ab out when the ships and tourists limited their visits.

I have posted this many times, Stay away from the Straw market in Nassau. As has been said many time, just an entire block of pushy, not nice people, all selling the same exact junk that they get from the ship that arrives from China. But why just stop at Nassau, the same applies to many of the islands in the Caribbean. All selling the exact same stuff, all made in China. I know they try to make a living, but they could be polite about it. If you want authentic anything in Nassau, you have to find some small shop that sells authentic wares made in Nassau. Cheers Len
Some here who have cruised for years may remember when ships hardly stopped in Nassau. Crime had gotten too high, locals were treating tourists poorly and the crujse lines listened to guess' complaints and limited visits . Things got some better when they had empty cruise ship docks but seems to be sliding back to old patterns .They may have short memory ab out when the ships and tourists limited their visits.