Has anyone been really impressed with Chops lately?

My DH is a steak guy so we always made a point to go to Chop's. Our opinion also is that the food quality and service has been declining. On our last cruise the service was very slow throughout the meal. I had ordered a glass of house wine and it took 30 minutes to get it. Our server said it was because they were out and had to go to another bar to get it.... Really.... .house wine?

We've never expected Chops to be "outstanding." It's always been better food and a more pleasant overall dining experience than the MDR. Nothing more. Unlike some CC reviews I've read, we've never expected Chops to be on the level of Morton's, Ruth's Chris, Smith & Wollensky or other high-end steakhouses--just a good meal for a reasonable upcharge.

We've never expected Chops to be "outstanding." It's always been better food and a more pleasant overall dining experience than the MDR. Nothing more. Unlike some CC reviews I've read, we've never expected Chops to be on the level of Morton's, Ruth's Chris, Smith & Wollensky or other high-end steakhouses--just a good meal for a reasonable upcharge.

This is what I'm thinking. Specialty dining has a lot to do with the change of pace, more intimate experience, etc. You have to have realistic expectations.

On Anthem next month, we're seeing Spectra's Cabaret the second night and we won't get out until 1/2 hour after our late seating so we decided to do something else. Looked at Chops but after seeing a $42/person charge, said um, no. Food the last couple of times we've been just wasn't great and not good enough at that cost. So, we're doing Solarium Bistro at no extra cost. Chops used to be excellent. Just not worth the money and especially not $42/person.

Having been to both Morton's and Ruth's Chris, Chops used to be just as good. Quality is not great. I don't think a filet with fat running through it is worth a $42 upcharge. I can buy a filet at Wegman's for $10-15 that has NO fat in it at all. Chops isn't what it used to be.

On Anthem next month, we're seeing Spectra's Cabaret the second night and we won't get out until 1/2 hour after our late seating so we decided to do something else. Looked at Chops but after seeing a $42/person charge, said um, no. Food the last couple of times we've been just wasn't great and not good enough at that cost. So, we're doing Solarium Bistro at no extra cost. Chops used to be excellent. Just not worth the money and especially not $42/person.

Hi BND :)

Have you checked your Cruise Planner recently for your sailing?

Chops Grille on Anthem, just today had a price drop from $42 per person to $33.60 per person.

Maybe your voyage had a Chops Grille price drop as well.

67b8c12c-5331-486a-bc4d-49e7053b29dc-original.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

:)

Edited by PortSideCruzan

Hi BND :)

Have you checked your Cruise Planner recently for your sailing?

Chops Grille on Anthem, just today had a price drop from $42 per person to $33.60 per person.

Maybe your voyage had a Chops Grille price drop as well.

67b8c12c-5331-486a-bc4d-49e7053b29dc-original.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

:)

Still not worth it to us. Looking forward to trying Solarium Bistro.

Having been to both Morton's and Ruth's Chris, Chops used to be just as good. Quality is not great. I don't think a filet with fat running through it is worth a $42 upcharge. I can buy a filet at Wegman's for $10-15 that has NO fat in it at all. Chops isn't what it used to be.
We go to the Speciality restaurants all the time so not complaining but if you consider you have probably already paid about $15 for MDR in the cruise fare then you add on the $42+ upcharge in Chops Grill the meal is actually closer to $60 pp in real terms so I think we should expect a top quality product.

When we did AOS in 2016 specialty restaurants ran from good to excellent and MDR was only tolerable so for our upcoming return to AOS in December we'll be doing the dining package . I'll report back after. No matter what I didn't have to shop for it prepare it clean up after it or cut my grandchildren's food during it!

Attitude is the difference between ordeal and adventure!!

Sent from my LM-X410(FG) using Forums mobile app

We go to the Speciality restaurants all the time so not complaining but if you consider you have probably already paid about $15 for MDR in the cruise fare then you add on the $42+ upcharge in Chops Grill the meal is actually closer to $60 pp in real terms so I think we should expect a top quality product.

On the ultimate dining package, the upcharge can be closer to $15 when accounting for all the meals you get on the package. Does that make it more palatable?

That sums it up for us. We have a 3 night package on Freedom this winter for 60.00. Will use it at Chops and Giovannis. For 20.00pp per night we like it. Wouldn't want to pay much more than that. Will do windjammer the other nights. We burned out on the atmosphere, chaos and routine of MDR years ago but that's just us.

We would always eat at Chops the first night for the BOGO. Then in 2017 they changed their menu & started buying cheaper meats. The rack of lamb use to be my favorite. Three of those I consider to be in the top 3 meals of my life. Throw in the Mud Pie & I was a happy cruiser. Last several times there the lamb was uneatable. Tough & full of gristle. In April ordered a total of 21 lamb chops(including MDR) 3 were eatable. Now their desserts are Windjammer desserts.

Wow! Cruise Critic have a lot of 5 star or Michelin Star people and 5 star chefs cooking for them at home! :rolleyes:

Everybody here goes to Ruth Chris, Morton’s, etc. I am so glad I can go to Long Horn or a Texas Road House or similar places and enjoy a steak. I go to Chops for something different one night of the cruise for our anniversary but we have never went in with a comparison to this place or that place. Sure I here might be some things that use to be on the menu that is not there any more but oh well!

Wow! Cruise Critic have a lot of 5 star or Michelin Star people and 5 star chefs cooking for them at home! :rolleyes:

Everybody here goes to Ruth Chris, Morton’s, etc. I am so glad I can go to Long Horn or a Texas Road House or similar places and enjoy a steak. I go to Chops for something different one night of the cruise for our anniversary but we have never went in with a comparison to this place or that place. Sure I here might be some things that use to be on the menu that is not there any more but oh well!

Long Horn and Texas Road House are both better than Chops is now.

Ruth's Chris and Mortons are not Michelin restaurants and we go maybe once or twice a year, but they are way above Chops in food and service.

Just off Oasis this past week and ate at Chops on night 1. Had a completely enjoyable meal in a super environment.

Polled the other members of my house and all would ratecChops well above Longhorn, which i have always thought was overpriced.

We booked a lunch earlier this month on Brilliance. They ran a special for $17.60pp. Had two apps, an 8oz filet, and dessert. Food and service was outstanding, maybe because there were only 5-6 other couples in there at the time. Well worth the price we paid, but wouldn't pay the price they want for dinner.

Last several times there the lamb was uneatable. Tough & full of gristle.

In April ordered a total of 21 lamb chops(including MDR) 3 were eatable.

I don't understand, you had lamb chops that were not edible. Then you continued to have them several more times?

In April alone you had 21 lamb chops, 3 were edible.

What did you do with the 19 inedible lamb chops? Did you send them back right away to be replaced? The lamb chops & filet mignon have always been mouth watering.

Wow! Cruise Critic have a lot of 5 star or Michelin Star people and 5 star chefs cooking for them at home!

Everybody here goes to Ruth Chris, Morton’s, etc. I am so glad I can go to Long Horn or a Texas Road House or similar places and enjoy a steak.

I go to Chops for something different one night of the cruise for our anniversary but we have never went in with a comparison to this place or that place. Sure I here might be some things that use to be on the menu that is not there any more but oh well!

I agree. Passengers should not be comparing land based steak houses to cruise ship steak houses at all. They're simply setting their expectations too high as they nibble on & complain about the portion size of their tater tots. Hahaha!:')

Why is tater tots on the menu in the 1st place. Shouldn't that be on a children's menu.

However, I am guilty of making a comparison myself, but not a comparison to another restaurant. I noticed a difference in Chops service & food regarding turnaround day & night 2. We no longer will do BOGO because of it. Food & service has been far better on night 3 and onward.

Edited by ObstructedView2

Just off Oasis this past week and ate at Chops on night 1. Had a completely enjoyable meal in a super environment.

Polled the other members of my house and all would ratecChops well above Longhorn, which i have always thought was overpriced.

You can get a good steak at Longhorn for $15-20. How is that overpriced?:confused:

Having been going to Specialty restaurants on RCI since 2009, I can tell you, the quality has crashed and burned.

Edited by BND

Actually found them better the last few sailings than they were a couple years ago when they cut the menu down.

Since they added the ribeye back, we have tried them on 3 different ships and found them well worth the D+ BOGO price. Still would NOT pay full price.