Lost Luggage in Brooklyn

DancingMike

I debarked from the Royal Princess on September 25 in Brooklyn from a 15 day transatlantic crossing.

My luggage was labeled CREAM 5, one of my bags was never found in the terminal. The pier staff looked all over for my bag and it was never found. Either someone walked off with my bag or it was left on the ship and went to Canada.

I have already filed a missing suitcase report and have been on the phone daily with Princess in their corporate office.

I have been on 45 cruises and have never had this happen.

Have stopped someone in cruise terminal a couple of times hauling one of our suitcases away. They seem to be oblivious to the fact it isn't theirs. And if they get home and find it is the wrong suitcase there is no way of knowing how much effort they will use to get it back to you.

Have also had the tags gone missing between ship and shore. And have had luggage with tags placed in the wrong group. Usually terminal folks will help you find it.

I would venture to say it went with someone else.

Hope you find it.

I would think so too....we had a taxi driver take us to LAX after a cruise and he had not only grabbed our suitcases but someone else's that was nearby (we were already in the cab when he loaded them)....he said he was taking it back to pier but who knows???

Hope you get it back. Is Princess responsible for lost luggage?

No, Princess is not responsible. And the problem is that no one will ultimately claim responsibility. Princess will say they got it to the right spot off the ship. The longshoremen will insist that they did their bit. And the passenger will be without a bag.

That's one big problem of using EZ Check/onboard airline check in/different names on different lines. If there is a problem with that, the airline blames the cruise line and the cruise line blames the airline. No, bags don't often get lost, but if they do ...no one will admit responsibility.

Very sorry this happened to the OP and I hope he manages to find the missing bag. Only a few years ago, we started to make all our checked suitcaes OBNOXIOUSLY loud in color, with multiple fluorescent green and pink straps running around the bags in both directions. While it clearly won't stop a determined thief, it should make the bags somewhat less likely to carted off by an unsuspecting fellow passenger who thinks they are grabbing their own ubiquitous black suitcase. Happens in airports, happens in cruise terminals....

No' date=' Princess is not responsible. And the problem is that no one will ultimately claim responsibility. Princess will say they got it to the right spot off the ship. The longshoremen will insist that they did their bit. And the passenger will be without a bag.

That's one big problem of using EZ Check/onboard airline check in/different names on different lines. If there is a problem with that, the airline blames the cruise line and the cruise line blames the airline. No, bags don't often get lost, but if they do ...no one will admit responsibility.[/quote']

That is what I thought the answer was. Glad to take luggage off ourselves.

No' date=' Princess is not responsible. And the problem is that no one will ultimately claim responsibility. Princess will say they got it to the right spot off the ship. The longshoremen will insist that they did their bit. And the passenger will be without a bag.

That's one big problem of using EZ Check/onboard airline check in/different names on different lines. If there is a problem with that, the airline blames the cruise line and the cruise line blames the airline. No, bags don't often get lost, but if they do ...no one will admit responsibility.[/quote']

It’s not true that Princes isn’t responsible nor that they won’t take responsibility.

Princess will take responsibility. I have a friend who got reimbursed for their suitcase and their contents. Unfortunately, not all they could claim but what is in the lost baggage contract. And it wasn’t through insurance, it was through Princess Cruise line. They only got $250.

it’s actually in the passage contract for Princess and is item #13 in the contract. The limit of liability is $250 per bag or up to $1500 if you have their insurance.

Edited by Host CJSKIDS
Grammar

Thank goodness I purchased a separate travel insurance and have gone on notice with them that I will be filing a claim.

Just hoping that the bag might still be on the ship, but have a funny feeling that someone walked out with it.

Thank goodness I purchased a separate travel insurance and have gone on notice with them that I will be filing a claim.

Just hoping that the bag might still be on the ship, but have a funny feeling that someone walked out with it.

I really hope d you get it back. Hopefully it was left on the ship by some strange mistake. Or perhaps the person who took it by mistake will be honest enough to contact Princess when they return home and realize the mistake.

Please let us know if you hear about your bag.

I debarked from the Royal Princess on September 25 in Brooklyn from a 15 day transatlantic crossing.

My luggage was labeled CREAM 5, one of my bags was never found in the terminal. The pier staff looked all over for my bag and it was never found. Either someone walked off with my bag or it was left on the ship and went to Canada.

I have already filed a missing suitcase report and have been on the phone daily with Princess in their corporate office.

I have been on 45 cruises and have never had this happen.

That is why we walk off with our luggage.

We, too, pack light and walk ON and OFF with our luggage. It's a bit of a hassle.

We carry on on the "going" flights. On the return, we might check in the luggage. The last cruise, at Miami, we paid $30 each for two bags -- could have checked them at the gate for free but didn't stop to think about that -- and one was lost. It took 24 hours, with repeated phone calls, stories, and changed info to get the bag delivered to our home.

Although we try to carry the luggage off ourselves, there are times when we've over done shopping and find it easier to leave the cases outside our door the night before disembarkation.

In over 100 cruises, only had one problem with missing luggage. Two pieces were in the terminal in Ft. Lauderdale, but my case went missing. We searched through the rows of luggage, requested help [yes, large black case, white, lime green and hot pink tape on the handle], but nobody could find it. I was about to find someone to initiate paperwork when one of the porters said to me, "Quite often, the color coded tags get ripped off going from ship to shore, look in the adjacent room." We went to a side room and there was my suit case, among the 3-4 dozen others, all missing the color coded tags. Why didn't Princess reps in the luggage claim area suggest we look here? Now, if I need to send luggage out the night before, each case has at least two color coded tags.

Darcy

Now, if I need to send luggage out the night before, each case has at least two color coded tags.

Darcy

Yup, when we get our color coded tags in the disembarkation form, double check the time, if its acceptable, we go to the PSD and get at least four more and attach to our bags going out that night, one on the top handle, by the pull handle and one on the side handle, this way if one happens to disappear, there is a second. Yes, I know that could fall off too, but...

I really wonder, are there people out there who don't know how to properly attach the tags and that's how they fall off...

We booked a Viking River Cruise through Viking complete with air travel. We also booked a 3 day extension in Bruges, Belgium. When we landed in Brussels, the pilot announced that the baggage handlers had just declared a wildcat strike and our luggage would not be coming off the plane. We only had our carry on bags (with our meds, and fresh underwear and a change of clothes.) and we were told at the luggage carousel to 'go home and keep watching the news for the strike to get settled.' We were told that when the luggage came off the plane, we would have to travel back to Brussels Airport to claim our luggage. They would not issue a 'lost luggage report' as our luggage was not lost, it just didn't come off the plane. The airline would not deliver our luggage to our hotel in Bruges (70 miles away) because we didn't have a 'lost luggage claim number.' Viking was our travel agent and would not help us at all. We were stuck in Bruges with none of our checked luggage and about to be transported to Amsterdam to get on the Viking ship. How were we supposed to travel back to Brussels to claim our luggage if we were on the ship?

On the afternoon of our second day in Belgium, the luggage came off the plane and we had to hire a taxi to take us 70 miles to the airport, stand by for us at the airport while we went through the bureaucratic hoops to claim our bags and then the taxi had to take us (and our luggage) 70 miles back to Bruges. Our travel agent (Viking River Cruises) and the insurance Viking sold us refused to give us any help at all.

We took away two important lessons from our experience: 1. Make sure your medications and a change of clothing and any important paperwork is with you in your carry on bags. 2. Despite Viking presenting themselves as a premier cruise line, don't count on them in a pinch.

We took away two important lessons from our experience: 1. Make sure your medications and a change of clothing and any important paperwork is with you in your carry on bags. 2. Despite Viking presenting themselves as a premier cruise line, don't count on them in a pinch.

Lesson #3. Don't buy the cruise line's insurance.