Is Island Really that Bad?

Cruise Junky

I haven't sailed on Princess in 7 years. I've previously been on Island but not since the butchering of her aft.  Now I keep reading post after post of how bad she is and people won't sail on her.  Is she really that bad?  I don't care about a promenade deck but if she's truly crowded, I don't want to waste my money on her.  We were looking at a 2020 27 Day cruise from Rome to Singapore.  Would not be easy to replicate on another line.

Thanks

We have sailed the Island many times both before and after the refit........

Island Princess had major changes done to it a couple of years ago.

The Universe Lounge, a 2 story entertainment venue was removed and 152 cabins were added.

1/3 of the wrap around promenade deck was removed when promenade deck balcony deck cabins were added.

No additional dining space was added. 

No International Cafe was added as it was on sister ship Coral Princess.

The ship was not designed for an additional 300 plus passengers with even less passenger venues/space.

We experienced lines wrapped around the atrium during dinner times. It lasted until 8:30 each night. 

The theater was also an issue and you needed to get there way earlier than other ships. We tend to always go about 30-45 minutes on most ships but the Island we had to go earlier.

So yes IMO there are now crowding issues and for very legitimate reasons listed above.

• Like 2

I just got off the Island on Sunday and didn't find it to be over crowded at all.  Yes as the previous person mentioned there was a line around the atrium at dinner time but that was just people waiting for the doors of the dining room to open and 2 minutes after it was opened the line was gone.  We had traditional dining so I'm not sure of the wait for anytime dining. 

There was never an issue finding seating in the buffet and the lines at both the grill and pizzeria went very quickly.  

We never had an issue finding a seat in the main theater but there were a few shows in the Explorers lounge that had an overflow of people and you couldn't find a seat.  

Let me know if you have specific questions.

We also sailed on the Island for 2 weeks in Alaska in late July/early August.  I was also concerned about crowding.  I was pleasantly surprised to find that not to be the case.  We always do traditional dining with late seating.  We had no problems getting a seat at any of the shows after dinner.  And the staff was great.  In fact our room steward was by far the absolute best we have had in 30 cruises.

1 hour ago, Colorado Coasty said:

The Island is our least favorite Princess ship. Not because it felt crowded or because of the Promenade deck.

It just seemed to have a "negative vibe".

How would one go about fixing a "negative vibe"? 

Island is still one of our favorite ships.  Indoor pool area is seldom crowded and has great loungers.  Buffet is fine.  Dinner can be crowded early in Anytime dining but this is partially caused by them using half the dining room for 1st Seating and 1/3 for Club Class - this ship only has two dining rooms.  We do miss not being able to walk farther aft on the Lido deck and the Universe Lounge.  The Sanctuary now restricts the area above the aft pool more.  If you haven't been on the ship you wouldn't notice the changes.

Still has a great crew.  On our last Alaska cruises we got to meet a lot of the officers in the Top-40 cocktail parties.  We normally don't have enough days to qualify but did on these.

Edited by LeeW
more

I'm booked on the Island!  I was a bit apprehensive due to all the negative comments.  I have sailed on the Coral but given the "butchering" of the Island, not sure how that will affect our cruise.  We are being positive about it.  The cruise worked best with our schedule so we booked it. 

Only you can decide it it's worth trying for you.  I'm keeping an open mind.  We will have a great time no matter what.  I figure the worst that can happen is that we agree not to sail on her again.  

51 minutes ago, bemis12 said:

How would one go about fixing a "negative vibe"? 

Only way to change that is within yourself.  It's a glass half full vs half empty kind of thing.  

Edited by jennybenny
  • Like 1

If the ship is not sailing full, then it might be OK.  But I would never sail on the Island again.  It was WAY too crowded as described above - lines for ATD, getting to the theater at least an hour in advance, and more.  No thanks.  Too many other options out there.

• Like 1

We were on the Island last April. I had read as well all the negative statements. I tried hard to see what the issues were and they did not really ruin our experience.

We thought it was a fantastic ship and cruise. Yes it is not a complete promenade (I did my walking (3 -4 miles) most of the time on it), there is no International Café (which I did miss), we had Anytime dining and the wait was anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes and that was doable.  The only true negative I had was where the exercise room was with NO windows. I tried it once but that was enough for me.  The crew were absolutely wonderful all the time.

We would sail on the Island before we would sail again on the Crown. We felt the Crown was more crowded in the public areas than the Island.

The Island is my favorite ship! And we've been on plenty of different Princess ships over the years. We prefer aft suites, and before the remodel, the Coral and Island didn't have any aft suites. Now the Island does, and these suites are more spacious and modern than the midship suites, with a larger balcony - at least that's true for the Vista Suites - I don't know about the other suite categories. Yes, I'd prefer an International Cafe, but I'd prefer an Alfredo on every ship, too. We were on the Island over Christmas and New Years, so lots of people were out and about, and I never felt the ship was overly crowded. I would not hesitate to go on the Island again. In fact, if I had a choice between the Island and any other ship, I would choose the Island. Unfortunately, the Island doesn't usually go where we want to travel...

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, RSF Cruiser said:

The Island is my favorite ship! And we've been on plenty of different Princess ships over the years. We prefer aft suites, and before the remodel, the Coral and Island didn't have any aft suites. Now the Island does, and these suites are more spacious and modern than the midship suites, with a larger balcony - at least that's true for the Vista Suites - I don't know about the other suite categories. Yes, I'd prefer an International Cafe, but I'd prefer an Alfredo on every ship, too. We were on the Island over Christmas and New Years, so lots of people were out and about, and I never felt the ship was overly crowded. I would not hesitate to go on the Island again. In fact, if I had a choice between the Island and any other ship, I would choose the Island. Unfortunately, the Island doesn't usually go where we want to travel...

So pleased to read this we are booked on the Island  for 28 days next April from LA to Hawaii, Tahiti and Samoa we were torn between Emerald and Island but dates worked better for us on the Island. We loved the Caribbean Princess so hoping the Island will be the same standard which ever ship we cruise on we always enjoy it.

We were on Island Princess for 22 days beginning in mid-September.

I concur with issues with anytime dining and the inability to be seating within a reasonable amount of time.

I do have a new belly-ache: La Patisserie does not have anything to eat. The title is absolutely wrong. It is a beverage bar and nothing else!

Jim

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JimnKaren said:

We were on Island Princess for 22 days beginning in mid-September.

I concur with issues with anytime dining and the inability to be seating within a reasonable amount of time.

I do have a new belly-ache: La Patisserie does not have anything to eat. The title is absolutely wrong. It is a beverage bar and nothing else!

Jim

It's been that way since she was first launched. A couple of trays of danishes or finger sandwiches throughout the day at best. 

Thats why I said she also needs an International Cafe like her sister the Coral.

I've been on the Island Princess a couple of times since the refit, and the changes didn't bother me at all.  Nor did I hear anyone on board complaining about the changes.

I like to walk around the Promenade deck, so now you just have to cut across through the aft doors - no big deal.  There is still a nice quiet aft-facing outer deck one floor up on the Emerald deck.  

As for crowding, I didn't notice that at all on my cruises.  We were able to get a table for two at ATD with no wait at all most nights, and could always find seats for the theater even  15 minutes before the show (we always go to the later show).

I also love that the Island has the covered pool, which fewer and fewer Princess ships seem to have.  It's a great area to relax, especially for cool weather cruises.

The Island used to be my wife's least favorite ship (don't remember why) but after the last cruise we had on her, it's now her favorite one. If I remember correctly, the Captain is Captain Tuvo and both my wife and I would sail to hell on any ship he was the captain of.  One of the most charming and personable men we've ever met.

Two people's opinions.

Tom