Prices seem outrageous for Harmony and Symphony

amyhphoto

I just got the approval for a summer cruise and started researching both the Harmony and the Symphony. The prices seem super high. I haven't been looking at prices for over a year so i'm just starting my research. I'd like to cruise the last week of may or first week or two of june of 2019. Any advice on getting great deals? Do you use a travel agent? If so how did you choose them? Thanks in advance. 

8 minutes ago, amyhphoto said:

I just got the approval for a summer cruise and started researching both the Harmony and the Symphony. The prices seem super high. I haven't been looking at prices for over a year so i'm just starting my research. I'd like to cruise the last week of may or first week or two of june of 2019. Any advice on getting great deals? Do you use a travel agent? If so how did you choose them? Thanks in advance. 

The earlier you book the better. You may be late to get the best prices

9 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Won't be quite the same but look at Allure and Oasis.  Cheaper than Harmony and Symphony since they're older but still fantastic.

Agree.  Allure is $300 tp $600 per person cheaper. (Oasis is in Europe).

Check out several TA’s, some may still have group space available at prices from when cruises were first released.

I just did a quick check of my companies website and the first week of June on Symphony group pricing for an inside is $500 less per person,  a neighbourhood balcony is $600 lesss per person and a balcony is $900 less per person.  

You just need need to spend some time and look around.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

They had a BOGO sale a few weekends ago and we saved at least 2K on the Harmony cruise we had been looking at.  But we are cruising in January.  In any case, sometimes the sales are real savings so keep an eye out for them.  We had already been searching before the sale so we know the price came down significantly.  

Agree, that is an expensive time of year for most cruises and especially newer ships.  Booking early is the best advice (ie: more than a year out), but given you are 6 months out, you might need to consider a different ship since there are many great options?  For reference, my Harmony cruise in Sept 2019 balc cabin was $1850 (refundable) when booked back in May 2018 and now is up significantly and non-refundable.  Good luck, I am sure you will find something great.

I guess it depends on what you would consider to be expensive. I just booked on Symphony for Nov 2019 and a balcony was only around 1200 per person. But maybe it is much more for the summer. I consider that I got a deal so it all depends on what your determination of a deal is, what type of room you are getting, what itinerary and time of the year. The summer is always peak season for cruises so the costs are going to be more. For myself personally, I believe that they newer and bigger ships are worth it, but that's my personal preference. 

We have sailed from Port Canaveral the 2nd or third week on August for the past five years. When Freedom left, Oasis pries were probably 10% higher as I recall. Next year, when Harmony replaces Oasis, prices  are up probably 40-50%. Symphony even higher. 

I did book the Harmony next August but had to book a category 8D balcony (4 actually) to keep the total close to what we  had on Oasis in a JS. 

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
I can’t spell!

40 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

We have sailed from Port Canaveral the 2nd or third week on August for the past five years. When Freedom left, Oasis pries were probably 10% higher as I recall. Next year, when Harmony replaces Oasis, prices  are up probably 40-50%. Symphony even higher. 

I did book the Harmony next August but had to book a category 8D balcony (4 actually) to keep the total close to what we  had on Oasis in a JS. 

mac_tlc

Yep, Sep 2019 Harmony JS out of PC was 2000 pp

We have 3 cruises booked on Harmony for next year and 2020 - all in a 4D balcony on Deck 8, and all are on what would be considered high demand dates. May 12, 2019 (Mother's Day) - $2,200; August 25, 2019 (returns the day before Labor Day) - $2,500; February 9, 2020 (Valentine's Day) - $2,200. All were NR rates booked on board when the 2019-2020 schedule opened last December. They are now up to $4,700 (May); $3.300 (August); and $2,500 (February 2020). The earlier you book, the cheaper the cruise. The more the ship fills, the more expensive they become.

Edited by orville99

16 hours ago, schmeed said:

Supply and demand.  The two newest ships...and they can charge a premium.

Last summer there were just 2 ships sailing from FLL, Allure and Harmony, not much supply there.

OP might just look at Canaveral to see what is up there. Should be an easier drive than Fll or MIA.

26 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

Last summer there were just 2 ships sailing from FLL, Allure and Harmony, not much supply there.

OP might just look at Canaveral to see what is up there. Should be an easier drive than Fll or MIA.

That's my point.  Supply and demand economics.  Limited supply + high demand = RCI can charge a premium price.

We're going the first week in June on the Harmony. It was indeed high. However, given the amenities on board for my kids, I felt like it was worth it.

I also think you're looking at pure supply/demand like one of the above posters mentioned. They're charging this much because people are paying it. 

Yep, a little late for best pricing.  We got our Sept. 2019 D1 Portside midship for around $1900 for the 2 of us but we booked right after her 2019 itin was posted.  Very reasonable I think.  But includes Diamond Plus discount.

Edited by BecciBoo

I booked Harmony months ago for September 1 2019.  Taxes and port charges included was 2047.00 for a 2D accessible oceanview balcony.    Its now 2967.00.   I dont even bother checking for price drops. Lol.  

Edited by ryano

Correct - There have been price hikes for Harmony/Symphony.   IMO - not worth the added cost.

We have 2x sailed Oasis, Allure and Harmony in Balconies.  In most cases at very good prices.  

Harmony was priced lowest at initial release ($1754 w/tax total for D8 room).   We sailed Allure Sep2 2018 D8 for $1345 w/tax!! 

I am paying $1000 more to sail Symphony Nov 24 ($2321 w/tax).   Will it be worth $1000 more?  No     Will I book again at an even higher price?   No -  I will hold off until a deal comes along.

I have GS cabin on Oasis for early December this year...booked GS cabin on Harmony (when she comes to PC to replace Oasis) for same time in December for 2019.  

Oasis two person: 4573.

Harmony two person: 5672.  

And that was after four prices drops I called in to take advantage of for Harmony!

Yikes....:classic_blink: 

Edited by island lady