Odd things to remember

BigProc

On 1/1/2019 at 9:30 AM, jjlen11 said:

A small electric outlet extender with a breaker, ..…….

By breaker, do you mean a surge protector?  If you do, they are not allowed on cruise ships.  A power strip without that is fine.

I like to bring an empty gift card so I can keep the power in the room on while I am out and about.  No more dead camera batteries this way.

As mentioned before:

A battery powered light for the bathroom at night.

Magnetic clips.

Post it notes.

I prefer a card holder type lanyard.  Its easy to slip my card in and out plus I can carry a few bills for extra tips when I don't have pockets.

• Like 1

Since my first cruise, I have started adding a few more things to my packing list:

• Bandaids and neosporin
  • Conditioner (the provided all-in-one on NCL is no good)
  • Magnetic dry erase board from the dollar store to leave notes for each other
  • Collapsible cloth storage cubes from the dollar store (as @cathi007 mentioned)
  • A suction-cup foot rest for the shower.. there are no ledges or anything for you to put your foot up on while shaving your legs! I got this one from Amazon. It's not the greatest, but it gets the job done.
  • Like 2

95% of this fits into a bathroom bag that hangs from a knob in the bathroom.

From my packing list:

• Medical Kit

• Sewing kit, safety pins

• Chapstick

• Antacid, Benadryl, Aspirin, Alka Seltzer

• Eye drops

• Spot remover

• Travel size Downey Wrinkle Release

• Magnetic/Command Hooks

• Shower hanger hooks

• Shower grip

• Fan-hand held/batteries

• Flashlight

• Ear plugs

• Straws

• Air Freshener

• Night-Light

• Travel Clock

• Swiss Army knife

• Scissors

• Duct Tape

• Highlighters/Sharpies

• Post it Notes

• Thankyou cards

• Sandwich/quart/gallon plastic bags

• Extra card to stick in light slot

• Quarter & Penny holder

• Post card stamps

• Medical Kit

• Sewing kit, safety pins

• Chapstick

• Antacid, Benadryl, Aspirin, Alka Seltzer

• Eye drops

• Spot remover

• Travel size Downey Wrinkle Release

• Magnetic/Command Hooks

• Shower hanger hooks

• Shower grip

• Fan-hand held/batteries

• Flashlight

• Ear plugs

• Straws

• Air Freshener

• Night-Light

• Travel Clock

• Swiss Army knife

• Scissors

• Duct Tape

• Highlighters/Sharpies

• Post it Notes

• Thankyou cards

• Sandwich/quart/gallon plastic bags

• Extra card to stick in light slot

• Quarter & Penny holder

• Post card stamps

• Travel Crib Board

• Hand warmer, charger

• Binoculars

• Water bottle/cup

• Door Sign/s

• Dirty laundry bag

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BigProc said:

A few people have mentioned an extra card for the light switch. Can someone explain that to me? 

Making power costs fuel (money) and most ships use gas turbine generators to provide this for the "hotel" load that power hungry society wants.  On some ships they are putting a "switch" in the circuit to the power in your room that requires, on the face of it, your room key, to allow the lights and power outlets to work.  The idea of course is when you leave you take your key and the power that isn't required while you're out of the room is not wasted.  However, any magnetic stripe card will solve the issue since all the switch does is detect an object not any specific data on your room key in order to operate.  An extra card fools the system into thinking you're still there and the power remains on.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Since my first cruise, I have started adding a few more things to my packing list:

• Bandaids and neosporin
  • Collapsible cloth storage cubes from the dollar store (as @cathi007 mentioned)
  • A suction-cup foot rest for the shower.. there are no ledges or anything for you to put your foot up on while shaving your legs! I got this one from Amazon. It's not the greatest, but it gets the job done.

I got that from you 😉

You need to leave a card with a magnetic strip in the slot by the door for the electricity to work. I use an old gift card or key card from a hotel. We leave it in place for the entire cruise.

5 hours ago, BigProc said:

A few people have mentioned an extra card for the light switch. Can someone explain that to me? 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PegNRay said:

You need to leave a card with a magnetic strip in the slot by the door for the electricity to work. I use an old gift card or key card from a hotel. We leave it in place for the entire cruise.

Not on all ships.

21 minutes ago, PegNRay said:

So, I have never been tempted to try this because it's against the rules to leave things plugged in when you're not in your room and I am a rule abider, but I am curious if doing this also discourages the room steward from tending to your room, since it causes the "At Home" light to light up outside your door?

Edited by JamieLogical
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

So, I have never been tempted to try this because it's against the rules to leave things plugged in when you're not in your room and I am a rule abider, but I am curious if doing this also discourages the room steward from tending to your room, since it causes the "At Home" light to light up outside your door?

Never had a problem.

19 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

• Bandaids and neosporin

That foot rest is AWESOME!!!  Ordering one now.  Thanks for the link!

1 hour ago, stampincrazyinTX said:

That foot rest is AWESOME!!!  Ordering one now.  Thanks for the link!

It boggles my mind that they don't have something like that built into the showers when one would assume that roughly 50% of their passengers are female and probably at least half of those shave their legs in the shower.

40 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

It boggles my mind that they don't have something like that built into the showers when one would assume that roughly 50% of their passengers are female and probably at least half of those shave their legs in the shower.

At a recent stay at a hotel in Toronto, I saw - for the very time, I'm sure - something like this.

It was a metal bar (same finish as faucet/fixtures) set diagonally in the corner, maybe 1 foot (?) high, and perhaps a bit shorter than that.  The middle part had a rougher finish, such that one wouldn't as easily "slip".

It took me a moment to realize what it had to be.

(If anyone has other explanations, I'd like to know.)

GC

On 12/31/2018 at 9:08 PM, jagsfan said:

Because my DH for no apparent reason just spent a miserable three days in the bathroom, I’m adding Pepto-Bismol tablets to my list😖

Don’t get the tablets. They can turn your mouth black. Google it. I didn’t believe it till I woke up one morning after taking them before bed in Cuba. Thank goodness that a little scrubbing with my toothbrush took care of it. Lol  I had no clue what was going on with me....my girl friends had a good laugh at my expense though🤣

6 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Thanks again Jamie, I just ordered 1 for me and 1 for my daughter 🙂

I leave the glasses repair kit home and just bring a backup pair of glasses! I bring ginger candy (never needed it) and a medical kit, and instead of a hamper, I bring  some of those travel compression bags. I put my dirty clothes in them and when it’s time to repack I close them and roll the air out. Then I have space in my luggage for souvenirs!

• Like 2

Since I learned there is no DIY laundry on any NCL ship,  I am thinking of packing a small wash basin/dishpan to facilitate the laundry process.   

(I know, I know, taking everything including the kitchen sink  😉

We'll be on the road for a week before this ship sails, so getting overdue for laundering, and the thing won't take up much space in my bag since I can pack things inside it. 

And it will be fun to see what other uses we find for it once it's aboard with us!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kaymoz said:

Since I learned there is no DIY laundry on any NCL ship,  I am thinking of packing a small wash basin/dishpan to facilitate the laundry process.   

(I know, I know, taking everything including the kitchen sink  😉

We'll be on the road for a week before this ship sails, so getting overdue for laundering, and the thing won't take up much space in my bag since I can pack things inside it. 

And it will be fun to see what other uses we find for it once it's aboard with us!

Could you not just stop in a laundromat while you are "on the road" the week before? 

• Like 2