Sewage smell throughout Celebrity Edge?

layingblames

3 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

"Sewage" smells are not at all uncommon on cruise ships, and I would expect them more on new ships where the crew haven't located all the "hidden" drains.  This type of "comes and goes" and "traveling" (different spots at different times) odors is very indicative of the "dry trap" syndrome.  I've fought it for years, on every ship I've been on.

I could not agree with you more.   The evidence is stacking up was the fact that a few doubt this smell story is even true.  It had nothing to do with how ships can stink.

9 hours ago, layingblames said:

It’s because I write compellingly and I’ve got jokes, right?

People are talking about the issue now, and hopefully it gets fixed by implementing chengkp75’s suggestions or by some good detective work.

I don’t know why people love this ship so much that they want to marry it. 

While I do not want to marry 'The Edge' getting married, renewal may be an option, with the reception in Eden would be awesome based on what I Am reading and soon will experience...

bon voyage

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bo1953 said:

While I do not want to marry 'The Edge' getting married, renewal may be an option, with the reception in Eden would be awesome based on what I Am reading and soon will experience...

bon voyage

You may have the option for a hedonistic wedding?  I want the wild caveman looking guy as the ring boy! 😂

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

You may have the option for a hedonistic wedding?  I want the wild caveman looking guy as the ring boy! 😂

1 hour ago, Freestyle Cruiser said:

He might eat the ring 😂😂

He has 'droit de seigneur' – and a club to enforce it! :classic_laugh:

11 hours ago, Nymich said:

I could not agree with you more.   The evidence is stacking up was the fact that a few doubt this smell story is even true.  It had nothing to do with how ships can stink.

My comment was just that... ships can sometimes smell, and it is in fact quite common. Therefore, nothing to make a big deal, or write home about.

I'm not denying that the smell was there, even though I [luckily] never smelled it.  DW walks the inside corridors for exercise after dinner every evening, and she did notice it on Deck 11 forward.  So it all depended on where/when you were.

So I'm very glad that our resident Chief Engineer chengkp75 has explained that this is a normal dry-drain issue and that new ships take a while before the crew figures out where all the 'frequently-dry' drains are.  Future Edge cruisers can expect that this will become a non-issue.

1 minute ago, KroozNut said:

So, I'm concluding that based on the discussion so far, this comment becomes a moot question?:classic_unsure:

Now that Celebrity has [apparently] banned ABBA from the Edge, it's not about "money, money, money" :classic_laugh:

35 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

So, I'm concluding that based on the discussion so far, this comment becomes a moot question?:classic_unsure:

I don’t think it’s a moot question - there was a stronger-than-normal sewagey smell that other people confirmed smelling, for which one CC member offered a really plausible explanation, especially given that it’s a new ship. 

You just did more to extend the conversation and increase the likelihood of others who experienced the smell sharing about it here, bumping up a week-old thread for smug satisfaction, so thank you! Hopefully we can hear back from more recent guests on the Edge and to determine if all the drains were found. 

• Like 1

On 31 January 2019 at 3:30 AM, Oville said:

On the same cruise and never smelled anything nor did any one else we encountered have any complaints and I assure you we met many, many people.  Interesting that this was the OP’s first post on CC.

returner to Cruise Critic! Sailed on 6 January sailing and noticed it during the day in the Martini Bar - every day! Didn't notice it anywhere else on the ship and certainly not to the point where I covered my nose! There was a post the other day of leakage in the corridors.

Just returned from the Edge on Feb. 3rd. We also noticed the smell on our last night at the Rooftop Grill and Sunset bar. We were told Celebrity Edge burns it's own trash, which would explain the smell. We were in a Sunset Veranda cabin but never encounter the smell on our balcony, only on the top desk.

• Thanks 1

The smell was quite REAL..trust me!

We caught the  pungent sewage whiff each time we walked to or from the forward elevs on the non MC side of DECK 9...

We felt lucky it never hit our area which was just aft of the mid ships elev  on deck 9.. We also smelled it passing by other areas..and cancelled our Rooftop Grill res  before we sailed after sev reports of the SMELL

Why would anyone fabricate a story about  this?  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I was on the 1/20 and 1/27 sailing of the edge.  On the first sailing our cabins were up on deck 12, one night we returned to our rooms and my sisters room had such a bad sewer smell they had to call maintenance it was impossible to sleep in.  Turns out there was a broken pipe and they had to come and repair it.  My BIL watched as they taped it up with masking tape, so I am assuming it will happen again.  He even said to them they should at least be using duct tape.

The second week we were in suites and one of our S3 also had problems to the point where they had to move their rooms.  So regardless of what people are saying it is an issue on this ship

With that said I was also down at the martini bar and noticed it, we had made friends with the bar manager and he told us it was a problem if you were sitting on the side of the bar where the grand cafe it.  I am thinking that is the real reason they closed that area and not for extra seating as it was mentioned.  It was blocked off both weeks we were on the ship and you continued to smell it.  You could not smell it thru the whole martini bar if was only if you had the seats on the side of the bar right by the cafe, so that is why others may not have noticed it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hcat said:

The smell was quite REAL..trust me!

We caught the  pungent sewage whiff each time we walked to or from the forward elevs on the non MC side of DECK 9...

We felt lucky it never hit our area which was just aft of the mid ships elev  on deck 9.. We also smelled it passing by other areas..and cancelled our Rooftop Grill res  before we sailed after sev reports of the SMELL

Why would anyone fabricate a story about  this?  

Thanks for the info, there are simple logical explanations for the smell and there could be larger issues.  Perhaps we are getting to the point of larger issues.  Many of us appreciate the honest reporting.  There are Edenites or relatives of Edenites that attack anyone on this board that say anything negative about the Edge.  Please don’t let it bother you and continue to report your experiences.

We are cruising Edge right now. In port at Grand Cayman. We have not smelled sewage anywhere on board. Cabin is on Deck 11 about 10 cabins aft of the aft elevators Port side. 

I had been reading about a the smell 10 days before we boarded and did not mention it to my DW for fear of concerning her. She has the nose of a bloodhound. I just mentioned the posts to her and she just laughed. Not one whiff of sewage to us. I hope I haven’t changed our luck with this post. 

Edited by RICCruisers
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, cruisinisforme said:

I was on the 1/20 and 1/27 sailing of the edge.  On the first sailing our cabins were up on deck 12, one night we returned to our rooms and my sisters room had such a bad sewer smell they had to call maintenance it was impossible to sleep in.  Turns out there was a broken pipe and they had to come and repair it.  My BIL watched as they taped it up with masking tape, so I am assuming it will happen again.  He even said to them they should at least be using duct tape.

The second week we were in suites and one of our S3 also had problems to the point where they had to move their rooms.  So regardless of what people are saying it is an issue on this ship

With that said I was also down at the martini bar and noticed it, we had made friends with the bar manager and he told us it was a problem if you were sitting on the side of the bar where the grand cafe it.  I am thinking that is the real reason they closed that area and not for extra seating as it was mentioned.  It was blocked off both weeks we were on the ship and you continued to smell it.  You could not smell it thru the whole martini bar if was only if you had the seats on the side of the bar right by the cafe, so that is why others may not have noticed it.

This is the kind of story that wouldn't surprise me from an old Carnival ship, long overdue for major dry dock work.  The future may be colorful for this ship, hopefully APEX fares better.

Masking tape? Classic. 16 years ago my wife and I were on a Southwest Airline flight from LV to BWI. We had a long ground delay, and the pilot announced they were waiting for a mechanical problem to be fixed. Soon, two big guys wearing bright yellow ground crew vests and toolbelts came on board. They came down the aisle and stopped right next to me. Got on the floor, confirmed the emergency lighting strip was loose from the carpet, and fixed it with a long piece of duct tape. 5 minutes later, we took off. So...

...I am glad to learn the cruise industry adheres to the high standards set by their fellow transportation systems. 

• Haha 1

I am currently on the Edge and the sewage smell was overwhelming by the spa on embarkation.

on deck 8 the smell is terrible, too  luckily the opposite end to my cabin

i walk the hallways in the am. And walking through the smell is awful.

12 hours ago, Caymus88 said:

I am currently on the Edge and the sewage smell was overwhelming by the spa on embarkation.

on deck 8 the smell is terrible, too  luckily the opposite end to my cabin

i walk the hallways in the am. And walking through the smell is awful.

Thanks for taking the time from your cruise to let us know.

• 1 month later...

We just got off Edge a few weeks ago.  This odor was IN OUR ROOMS, 11224 and 11226.  We complained about it from day 2 and solutions offered were horrible.  We travel with 4 children - 5, 6, 8 and 9 on this sailing.  We got the run around so bad and could never get in touch with any managers.  We were offered suites on OPPOSITE SIDES OF THE SHIP.  Then we were offered cabins that are 4 doors apart from each other (with only 3 days left on the cruise.)  On the last night, we finally got to speak to a manager from guest services on the phone.  He refused to come to the room and smell the odor and had the audacity to say we were making it up because no ship staff had experienced the odor.  He offered us $300 future cruise credit for my wife and I.  We paid for 6!  On the last night, I waited 2 hours for the maintenance supervisor to come to the room, for the 3rd or 4th time, he applied masking tape to the air duct in the hallway.  He acknowledged the odor and suggested I open the window.  Number 1, this is not an acceptable answer, but number 2, the window WOULDN'T GO DOWN!  He tried too!  

Post cruise customer service really set me off today.  They called back and said because nobody on the ship verified the smell, they could only offer us $700 ($350x2). When I pushed, I went to a supervisor who said the exact same offer was the most we would get.  I got off the phone as fast as I could because I was furious.  I called back a few minutes later and got forwarded to another supervisor.  She just kept rereading me the script they have for an "unverified complaint."  When I pressed about the housekeeping supervisor and the maintenance supervisor who DID smell the odor, they said they noted smelling a "beach odor" and attributed it to "wet bathing suits."  So now you are telling me 1) I can't tell the difference between sewage and a wet bathing suit, 2) they thought they had a solution on the ship and never mentioned it to us and 3) they just taped off the air vents for fun and to placate us.  She also started telling me things that were not consistent with what we were offered "on ship."  She said they offered the suites (on opposite sides of the ship, not what we paid for) AND future cruise credit.  They were never presented at the same time.  Several other "ships log" notes were inaccurate.  

We spent over 5 hours on the ship dealing with this and arguing amongst ourselves how to deal with it.  I've been on the phone over 90 minutes post cruise trying to get a satisfactory outcome.  I told the last woman I talked to if we could count ate $350 for all 6 fares I paid we would be close, but she said because it "wasn't verified" she couldn't do that.  I told her she should know the staff on the ship are a bunch of liars and we would likely never sail with Celebrity again and she said she was sorry to hear that.  This was our 8th cruise.  Counting double rooms, family that usually sails with us and other sailings with Celebrity booked on our recommendations there are over 20 sailings.  My wife and I are both Elite status as are her parents who sail with us.  We have NEVER had a bad experience or made ANY complaint.  I don't think it is unfair to expect something on the order of 25% of what we paid total (though honestly I think it should be 100%) for the trouble, frustration, disruption of our vacation, time wasted trying to resolve it, or being called a liar by customer service for a "high end" cruise line.  But because their staff lied in their reports, I get $700 (she says it's 20% for my wife and I, I say it's 8% of what I paid for the 2 rooms.)

I have a few points I thought of after my second conversation with the "highest level of escalation," so I think I will call and talk to them 1 last time, make those points, and point them to this thread and continue to call me a liar.

Edited by randy98mtu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1