Generally, are people more likely to talk to strangers on smaller cruise ships?

librarygal

39 minutes ago, librarygal said:

Do you think people on the smaller higher end cruise ships are more likely to seek out new friends and conversation than people on large megaships?

It depends on the person wanting to have others seek them out. I can think of at least one person who would be avoided on any ship, large or small.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

If we sit next to a couple at the pool or bar etc we may strike up a conversation doesn't matter if it's a cruise or land vacation.  It depends slot on if the other people want to talk or keep to themselves.  Size is ship or resort doesn't matter.  Neither does the cost of said vacation

• Like 1

2 hours ago, librarygal said:

Do you think people on the smaller higher end cruise ships are more likely to seek out new friends and conversation than people on large megaships?

It's been a long time since I've been on a smallish ship, but my gut feeling is "No."  

Even on the "smaller" ships, you are talking about hundreds of people.  My gut feeling, and I agree that I have no science to back this up, is that you will see a similar percentage of gregarious people and a similar percentage of taciturn people as you would see on a larger ship.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

It's been a long time since I've been on a smallish ship, but my gut feeling is "No."  

Even on the "smaller" ships, you are talking about hundreds of people.  My gut feeling, and I agree that I have no science to back this up, is that you will see a similar percentage of gregarious people and a similar percentage of taciturn people as you would see on a larger ship.

Smaller ships range from 100 people to a few hundred. We find that people on the small upscale lines tend to be more friendly than on larger ships because you have to make your own entertainment most of the time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, librarygal said:

Man, what a scary thought this would be.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

In fact I’d say I’ve met about 6 CC members in person and would now consider them all to be friends. And would be so bold as to say that they’d say the same about me.

6 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

In fact I’d say I’ve met about 6 CC members in person and would now consider them all to be friends. And would be so bold as to say that they’d say the same about me.

I have made hopefully lifelong friendships with many people that I met on cruises who I became friendly with on CC.

On 2/8/2019 at 11:47 AM, nascarcruiser said:

If we sit next to a couple at the pool or bar etc we may strike up a conversation doesn't matter if it's a cruise or land vacation.  It depends slot on if the other people want to talk or keep to themselves.  Size is ship or resort doesn't matter.  Neither does the cost of said vacation

I agree , another place we have meet people is trivia games since it is best to have team of six. But on smaller ship you may run into same people more often.

24 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

Please, not Crystal. I have no desire to run into the OP on my cruise. Yes, I know, all of the "offensive" posts have been deleted, but that doesn't mean they are forgotten.

just  as I would not like them on Oceania :classic_biggrin:

6 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I think  Crystal or Silversea  would be a better fit

Question is can the person actually afford the price tag and fit right in? If so, why didn't she do it already? What's the delay?  More often than not, people who feel the need to brag about their superior complexion, refined tastes and wealth in public are in fact the opposite and just full of hot air.

Having sailed on boats with 800 passengers and with over 3,000 my experience is that smaller boats make for a more congenial atmosphere because you will run into the same people more often. 

What also helps is the destination.  The more exotic or off the beaten path it is the more likely people are to talk to each other.  The nature of the passengers and the interactions were very different on a Caribbean cruise on a mega-ship than a cruise on a much smaller ship to the Marquesas. 

Just now, fyree39 said:

Because I'm sailing Crystal.  I don't want to end up cruising with her. :classic_blink:

good  reason I suppose

BUT  I am sailing on O  

maybe  they will choose  Silversea  :classic_biggrin:

Do  trolls actually cruise  is the bigger question 😉

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

good  reason I suppose

BUT  I am sailing on O  

maybe  they will choose  Silversea  :classic_biggrin:

Do  trolls actually cruise  is the bigger question 😉

How often are they genuinely interested in answers to their questions, vs. just pathetically trying to get responses?

GC

• Like 1

We stay to our selves regardless... don't cruise to met other people.  We usually do  breakfast in our cabin, a table for 2 at dinner.... tours on our own as well.   Every once in a while we may chat with someone but do not work at doing so. 

On 2/9/2019 at 2:54 PM, SantaFeFan said:

Nah. The SS Minnow would be a better choice. 

My good friend Thurston Howell III and his wife Lovey signed up for a 3 hour tour on the Minnow -- well you know the rest of the story.  :classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin: