Crown & Anchor Diamond Plus cutbacks continue!

3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Isn't this the same location as Adventure card room?  I thought there were a couple round windows.

I don't know where on Navigator it was relocated to and I don't know if there are windows in Adventure's card room. I never went in there but I probably have pictures somewhere from some past cruise on the ship.

3 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I don't know where on Navigator it was relocated to and I don't know if there are windows in Adventure's card room. I never went in there but I probably have pictures somewhere from some past cruise on the ship.

Adventure is the old cigar bar.  That has to be where it's at on Navigator if it's on deck 5.  I stopped in to get a deck of cards on Day 1. Pretty sure I saw a couple of windows. 

3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Isn't this the same location as Adventure card room?  I thought there were a couple round windows.

The current Adventure card room is the former Connoisseur Club (cigar lounge).  I don't recall for sure if there are windows, but I don't think so.  If there are windows, the view would be blocked by the lifeboats on deck 5.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

The current Adventure card room is the former Connoisseur Club (cigar lounge).  I don't recall for sure if there are windows, but I don't think so.  If there are windows, the view would be blocked by the lifeboats on deck 5.

Google pic of Adventure pre drydock

20190227_170027.jpg

On 2/26/2019 at 5:47 PM, Hoopster95 said:

I don't think so. I've been to many bars during the nightly lounge hours on various ships, and they are empty of D and up cruisers. On Brilliance in the UK I hung out often with 2 other cruise buddies I met on board the Schooner Bar and we were the only ones D or above there for 12 days. I feel that the mentality of a large majority is "if I'm D, then I MUST and DESERVE to go to the D lounge at all costs, under any circumstance"... even if they are packed with no seating. Let's all jam into 1000 square feet whereas there's a 200,000 TON ship to use.

My biggest aha moment about this was on Explorer last year on the BC 4-day coastal. I decided to open the door to the interior CL on EX on deck 9.... standing room only/every seat jam packed with very little room to maneuver.... in one of the very worst locations on the entire ship. I hope I'm wrong, however I felt as if none of those C&A members could likely overcome the thought of demeaning themselves by being "demoted" up to the DL and the Viking Crown with superlative views and much more space.

When they went to vouchers we stopped going to the DL and now with drink package we don't even use the vouchers. DL dwellers might even be a minority of D and D+ combined on any given ship. As for the bars, usually you'll find us closing either the Schooner Bar or the Pub depending on the better music. Maybe we'll cross paths some day.

5 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Dutch Harbor is in the Aleutians.  About 1500 miles west of Juneau.  😱

It is the port for that crab show.  Laura's mom grew up there. It used to be the place ships would refuel on the northern route to the far east.

Other than Pearl Harbor, Dutch Harbor is one of the few places where WW2 was waged on American soil....although technically Alaska was not a state at the time, but it was still an American territory.

Japan occupied a couple of the Aleutian islands for about a year, mainly as a diversionary tactic to try and draw American forces away from the main battle islands in the south Pacific.

Just a little fun fact from the history geek in me...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beachin2 said:

are a bit tired of the cheap booze (New Amsterdam anyone?) 

In our liquor store it’s on the same shelf with Smirnoff and other well known brands and about the same price. There are many other brands on lower shelves at lower price points. 

5 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I've heard Princess is good as well

I've heard that as well. Princess was one the first to do Alaskan cruises and as such, was able to lock down a few features other cruise lines could not.

Not sure what they are . I figured when it comes time for me to do a cruise there, I'd research the heck out of it on the Princess forum's .

2 hours ago, Beachin2 said:

Will be in the CL and maybe the DL next week, but are not "campers".  We don't sit there for 3 hours every night like many we have seen.  21 night sail.  Could very well be our last with RC.  It's not just the lounges though, although we liked the atmosphere in the past.  They have just gotten way too crowded and are a bit tired of the cheap booze (New Amsterdam anyone?) & huge egos.  The rest of the product has denigrated as well - floating infomercial.

We don't book the cheapest cabin and do our share of spending on board but the value RC once was just isn't there.

It's often said here - voting with our wallets.

They all taste the same in a mixed drink. 😉

20190226_175137.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

Other than Pearl Harbor, Dutch Harbor is one of the few places where WW2 was waged on American soil....although technically Alaska was not a state at the time, but it was still an American territory.

Japan occupied a couple of the Aleutian islands for about a year, mainly as a diversionary tactic to try and draw American forces away from the main battle islands in the south Pacific.

Just a little fun fact from the history geek in me...

They were evacuated after the first bombing. The army built a large airfield there. 

Note to self. Dont move somewhere with Harbor in the name.

Edited by John&LaLa

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

In our liquor store it’s on the same shelf with Smirnoff and other well known brands and about the same price. There are many other brands on lower shelves at lower price points. 

Popov isn't even on the bottom.😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rt1092 said:

There is a fix for the New Amsterdam swill. It's a piece of lemon (not lime but lemon) It seems to take away the nasty taste.

Lime needed for Cranberry juice cocktail. Lemon is sacrilege.  They did that for a short time when limes were in short supply

• Like 1

Friends of mine love Costa cruises- as many Europeans do. I absolutley don´t like them- neither their ships nor the ambience! Tried them once- which was enough- not that it was a " bad cruise" as such a thing just does not exist in my book.

Anyway- they are at their highest level of the loyality program. With Costa,  when you don´t sail with them for - say two years- for whatever reasons- you get downgraded and you points are striped! So you can move from the highest level down to the lowest. A very strange way to keeep customers coming! I hope for once X or RCCI do not read this! We won´t give them any ideas...!

Never heard of such with other cruise lines.

Edited by Germancruiser

14 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

They all taste the same in a mixed drink. 😉

20190226_175137.jpg

There is a big difference if not mixed. I generally drink a martini, but not in the lounge or with vouchers. I prefer Ciroc so I’ll pay for a drink. Or,  in the  lounge or if using a voucher I drink Jameson. 

Edited by cruisegirl1

1 hour ago, rt1092 said:

There is a fix for the New Amsterdam swill. It's a piece of lemon (not lime but lemon) It seems to take away the nasty taste.

Why even drink something that you consider nasty. Drink something else or purchase something you like. 

M

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

I don’t drink much vodka, but it does get reasonably good ratings, as I have posted previously.  Vodka is basically a very clean drink not a lot of flavor in straight vodka.  I don’t drink a lot of whiskey either but the differences in whiskeys is very wide compared to vodkas.  

JC

48 minutes ago, Germancruiser said:

when you don´t sail with them for - say two years- for whatever reasons- you get downgraded and you points are striped! So you can move from the highest level down to the lowest. 

That is what RCI needs to do! 👍

Edited by Thorben-Hendrik