Watch your medication!!!!!!

peggy1

8 hours ago, steveru621 said:

I'm not locking up any medications I'm prescribed by a doctor.  It's not my problem the cabin attendant is a drug addict.

But it is your problem if you find yourself without your necessary prescription medication.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, peggy1 said:

We were on the February 15th Anthem of the Seas cruise and when we got back my husband home he noticed a great many of his pain medication was missing!  His medication was buried within his clothing in the closet.  My Granddaughter had mentioned that her clothes in her drawers were not in the same place that he left it.  At the time we just assumed she was mistaken.  My husband contacted Royal Caribbean and the call was less than satisfactory and she said they would look into it.  When my husband asked to be connected to the CEO he was told he couldn't be reached by phone????  Be warned take any medication and lock it up in your safe. Wish we would have done that.  It's disappointing that you can't count on the cabin being safe while you are out of it.  I am very disgusted with Royal Caribbean   We are Diamond Plus but this unfortunately left us with a different opinion of the company since this theft.

Extremely important reminder to watch certain medications. 

When you report a theft to the authorities, they will investigate.  Very seldom, will they tell you the outcome, or the process.  Knowing some people, I know that most small theft issues will go unsolved and in the case of an international water theft, the employee if suspected, will be discharged of their employment without cause. 

I see you are Diamond Plus, which means nothing with this post, unless you expected a private chit chat with a CEO because of your status.  You really have no idea what investigation is going on.  Since the evidence was swallowed and cameras are not in the room, let them do their job, and hope the right conclusion happened. 

8 hours ago, tinkr2 said:

And I am really going to tread  lightly here but often the most common theft of medication is a teen child or grandchild, At the schools, thats where most kids start getting pills. I am sorry you had a theft and I am glad you reported it. I would email the hotel director of the ship and housekeeping of your concerns.

Years ago there was a report on this very topic on 20/20. Teens were even taking things like over the counter cough syrup. 

• Thanks 1

I'm not locking up any medications I'm prescribed by a doctor.  It's not my problem the cabin attendant is a drug addict.

I read most of these posts as it's your fault you contributed to the illegal activity.  

Report and get them fired because it's likely it's not the first report.

It would be a bigger and expensive problem to refill those meds if you needed them to live. I'm not risking a stroke or heart attack at sea even with 3rd party insurance so I will keep mine locked up like I always do.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 3

I just wanted to chime in to point out that room safes are only slight above security theater.  House keeping or room stewards are able to open the safe (how is it unlocked when you get to your room?).  The safe will keep roommates out, but if an employee (such as this case) really wanted the pills, they could easily open it.

The best practice is to keep them with you.

With that, I'm sorry this happened to OP.  This is an unfortunate situation.  Reporting the theft is the only thing you can do.

I read most of these posts as it's your fault you contributed to the illegal activity.  

Report and get them fired because it's likely it's not the first report.

Do you also leave valuables lying around? Do you have locks on your doors at home? Can't you use the same analogy?

1 minute ago, cloggedDrain said:

I just wanted to chime in to point out that room safes are only slight above security theater.  House keeping or room stewards are able to open the safe (how is it unlocked when you get to your room?).  The safe will keep roommates out, but if an employee (such as this case) really wanted the pills, they could easily open it.

With that, I'm sorry this happened to OP.  This is an unfortunate situation.  Reporting the theft is the only thing you can do.

People don't bring ID when in port. Do you really think they are going to drag along a pharmacy with them. While the safe isn't 100% secure, the chances are slim that anyone would break in for medication. People keep money and Jewelry in there. If it was was an issue the cruise boards would be blowing up.

• Like 3

I keep all pain meds locked away, whether at home or while traveling. When traveling, I lock all meds away, as I don't want them to be removed for whatever reason. I suppose that if one has no visitors at all you could keep your meds wherever you like.

4 minutes ago, cloggedDrain said:

They’re open when you get to your room because they were left open by the previous cruiser. I disagree that the room steward can easily open a room safe. You lock it with a four digit code - I doubt that you would leave that number lying around for an employee to see!

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Iamcruzin said:

People don't bring ID when in port. Do you really think they are going to drag along a pharmacy with them. While the safe isn't 100% secure, the chances are slim that anyone would break in for medication. People keep money and Jewelry in there. If it was was an issue the cruise boards would be blowing up.

I agree with you, but I believe that is an indication that most employees are not drug addict criminals.  The store by the OP is rare.

If the person who stole the medication in this case was sure he could find narcotics, why do you think he would not open the safe?  Since when do locks stop criminals, especially when they have the master key? 

Just now, Croozin Soozin said:

They’re open when you get to your room because they were left open by the previous cruiser. I disagree that the room steward can easily open a room safe. You lock it with a four digit code - I doubt that you would leave that number lying around for an employee to see!

Do you really think that everybody opens their safe before they leave?  What if you forgot your code, what happens then?

Of course the room stewards open the safe before you embark.   See this article for more information:  There's a Secret Code Thieves Use to Break Into Hotel Safes

4 minutes ago, cloggedDrain said:

I agree with you, but I believe that is an indication that most employees are not drug addict criminals.  The store by the OP is rare.

If the person who stole the medication in this case was sure he could find narcotics, why do you think he would not open the safe?  Since when do locks stop criminals, especially when they have the master key? 

The room steward does not have the master key to the safe.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, cloggedDrain said:

I'll disagree with this.  The only people onboard who have the ability to open a safe are Security, and there will normally be two people present when it is opened.

One thing to remember with all of the folks stating that the crew member is a "drug addict" is that the maritime industry is one of the most closely regulated with regards to drug and alcohol use.  The crew are required to pass a drug screening prior to each contract, and are subject to both random drug/alcohol testing throughout their contract, as well as anytime "reasonable cause" testing.

And I agree with Paul, Aquahound, who is an investigator for the USCG, that the time to get any reasonable response to this was onboard, but since it was not discovered until the OP returned home, there is really not much hope that anything could be resolved.  Reporting it to corporate will start an investigation file, and onboard security can search the cabin steward's cabin, and mandate a drug test, but if it was the cabin steward, they likely entered the cabin during working hours, so a search of key card lock entry will be pointless.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I'll disagree with this.  The only people onboard who have the ability to open a safe are Security, and there will normally be two people present when it is opened.

Ability or authority?  What about housekeeping management?  

12 hours ago, Aquahound said:

On to the alleged theft.  The truth is, you're making a general theft allegation after the fact and with no evidence to point specifically to any of the number of people who had access to your room.  It doesn't make your husband any less of a victim, but what exactly does RCI have at this point to take action on?  There's not much they can do and speaking to the CEO isn't going to create any more evidence.  All he can do is give you the same lip service as Customer Support.  Unfortunately, that's just the reality.  

But once again, I do thank you for the reminder that pain meds should not be left loosely unattended.  

This says it all.... ⬆️

7 minutes ago, cloggedDrain said:

Ability or authority?  What about housekeeping management?  

Ability.  And, nope for management.  I was a senior engineer on the ships, who oversaw the maintenance of the cabin safes, and I did not have the key or master code.  When my engineers/electricians went to work on a safe that was in a cabin, we had to have security with them, to open the safe if possible, and to witness the dismantling to open if necessary, and to witness the contents.  One of the things that keeps security busy on turn around day is changing door lock batteries and opening safes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

Ability.  And, nope for management.  I was a senior engineer on the ships, who oversaw the maintenance of the cabin safes, and I did not have the key or master code.  When my engineers/electricians went to work on a safe that was in a cabin, we had to have security with them, to open the safe if possible, and to witness the dismantling to open if necessary, and to witness the contents.  One of the things that keeps security busy on turn around day is changing door lock batteries and opening safes.

This is actually really good to hear.  My experience is from the hotel industry.  

16 hours ago, peggy1 said:

We were on the February 15th Anthem of the Seas cruise and when we got back my husband home he noticed a great many of his pain medication was missing!  His medication was buried within his clothing in the closet.  My Granddaughter had mentioned that her clothes in her drawers were not in the same place that he left it.  At the time we just assumed she was mistaken.  My husband contacted Royal Caribbean and the call was less than satisfactory and she said they would look into it.  When my husband asked to be connected to the CEO he was told he couldn't be reached by phone????  Be warned take any medication and lock it up in your safe. Wish we would have done that.  It's disappointing that you can't count on the cabin being safe while you are out of it.  I am very disgusted with Royal Caribbean   We are Diamond Plus but this unfortunately left us with a different opinion of the company since this theft.

Husband is on heavy duty pain meds.  He's taking more than he should.  Wife finds out, he blames the stateroom attendant.  Got it!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

The only people onboard who have the ability to open a safe are Security, and there will normally be two people present when it is opened.

Hi chengkp75 ☺️

My wife & I just completed our 2nd, 12-night sailing onboard Anthem. We had an issue with our safe & were locked out. Our cabin steward sent his manager, (housekeeping manager), to our cabin to unlock & reset. The housekeeping manager was by herself, no security involved. After she unlocked & reset the safe, she turned her back to the safe & had me sign & initial her paperwork in two different locations on a form.

☺️

11 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

We've had to have our cabin safe opened a couple of times by ships staff, for reasons I don't recall..forgot combo...typoed the combo or key card failed...whichever..and what you describe is exactly how it was handled. Security person showed up with a maintenance person, and someone from the hotel staff, plus took a few minutes also to verify us and that we were in the correct cabin etc....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PortSideCruzan said:

Hi chengkp75 ☺️

My wife & I just completed our 2nd, 12-night sailing onboard Anthem. We had an issue with our safe & were locked out. Our cabin steward sent his manager, (housekeeping manager), to our cabin to unlock & reset. The housekeeping manager was by herself, no security involved. After she unlocked & reset the safe, she turned her back to the safe & had me sign & initial her paperwork in two different locations on a form.

☺️

That's certainly not typical, and not my experience.  Interesting.  Did she give you a copy of the form?  If not, also interesting.

As I said, as one of the top five management onboard the ship, I was entrusted with a "hard" master key for all cabins, yet not with the ability to open cabin safes.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 1

I am not accusing anyone of taking the drugs but am I the only one that wonders about the granddaughter stating her belongings were misplaced? 

To me that is a red flag , automatically placing blame on someone else.

If pills were missing I'd think it would have been noticed while  on the ship and should definitely  been reported at the time.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, peggy1 said:

Any prescription controlled substance should always be locked in the safe. 

• Like 1