Watch your medication!!!!!!

peggy1

9 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I hope you are not suggesting the theft should not have been reported at all?  Of course it is valuable info for RCI.  For example,  perhaps there are other reports of similar incidents in other cabins.  If no reports are made, then nothing can happen.   

So agree!  Any theft should be reported!  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aquahound said:

Thats not what I'm saying at all.  You deleted the rest of my comment.  What I'm saying is, talking to the CEO over missing medications is pointless.  

Well, that is not how it reads to me.   But you should know what you are trying to say, so thanks for clarifying the alleged content of your post.  

54 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

On to the alleged theft.  The truth is, you're making a general theft allegation after the fact and with no evidence to point specifically to any of the number of people who had access to your room.  It doesn't make your husband any less of a victim, but what exactly does RCI have at this point to take action on?  There's not much they can do and speaking to the CEO isn't going to create any more evidence.  All he can do is give you the same lip service as Customer Support.  Unfortunately, that's just the reality.  

Let me clarify because reading this back, it does seem like I'm saying it shouldn't be reported.  I'm sure those who know what I do for a living know I would never say not to report a crime on a ship.  I'd be out of a job.  😉  What I was trying to say in this post was, reporting a theft from a cabin isn't something that should be elevated to the CEO of the entire company.  It's a relatively minor incident that, truthfully, doesn't have a high probably of getting any sort of real results.  Report it, but don't blow it out of proportion.  

Edited by Aquahound
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, peggy1 said:

Someone said "I don't know what you expect them to do from a phone call"?  This brain trust is suggesting what that  I send smoke signals?  The call is to make them aware that there is a problem and they know our cabin and know who the cabin steward is and they will start an investigation.,  

yes, but you inferred they (RCL) did not take you seriously and let me talk to the boss.  You didn't say you just wanted to make them aware. 

Anytime you let someone into your space, plumber, cleaning person, grand children even, lock that stuff up....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, time4u2go said:

I was thinking the same thing.  Did they actually expect to be connected to the CEO?

You are caller 15.345 in line - your estimated wait time is 2 years 8 months 15 hours and 3 minutes your call is  VERY important to our CEO - please hold the line! 👍 😂🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, peggy1 said:

I have called Marriott and spoken to the Asst. to CEO and guess what?  Got the matter resolved.  You may not got the actual CEO but if the assistant can get it done that's all I cared about.  If you don't ask you don't get anywhere.

This posting was meant to be a warning.  If you don't like it pass on it.  I'm not interested in your opinions about taking the matter farther up the line.  Someone said "I don't know what you expect them to do from a phone call"?  This brain trust is suggesting what that  I send smoke signals?  The call is to make them aware that there is a problem and they know our cabin and know who the cabin steward is and they will start an investigation.,   This is why a lot of people don't like to post because the sniping begins.  No good deed goes unpunished.  Some people just need to get a life..  

Poster provided their experienced advise, here again is exactly what they said: 

Not sure what you expect them to do on just a phone call.  They would have to complete some sort of investigation first.  In law enforcement we just don't arrest someone on the complainant's word and no, you can't just talk to the Chief of Police because you want resolution now.

You are judging an entire company on the actions of one......

• Like 1

I'm not locking up any medications I'm prescribed by a doctor.  It's not my problem the cabin attendant is a drug addict.

I read most of these posts as it's your fault you contributed to the illegal activity.  

Report and get them fired because it's likely it's not the first report.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, peggy1 said:

We were on the February 15th Anthem of the Seas cruise and when we got back my husband home he noticed a great many of his pain medication was missing!  His medication was buried within his clothing in the closet.  My Granddaughter had mentioned that her clothes in her drawers were not in the same place that he left it.  At the time we just assumed she was mistaken.  My husband contacted Royal Caribbean and the call was less than satisfactory and she said they would look into it.  When my husband asked to be connected to the CEO he was told he couldn't be reached by phone????  Be warned take any medication and lock it up in your safe. Wish we would have done that.  It's disappointing that you can't count on the cabin being safe while you are out of it.  I am very disgusted with Royal Caribbean   We are Diamond Plus but this unfortunately left us with a different opinion of the company since this theft.

And I am really going to tread  lightly here but often the most common theft of medication is a teen child or grandchild, At the schools, thats where most kids start getting pills. I am sorry you had a theft and I am glad you reported it. I would email the hotel director of the ship and housekeeping of your concerns.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

I'm not locking up any medications I'm prescribed by a doctor.  It's not my problem the cabin attendant is a drug addict.

I read most of these posts as it's your fault you contributed to the illegal activity.  

Report and get them fired because it's likely it's not the first report.

Increases the odds you will get to report someone.  Very brave of you.  This is what it takes to win the war on drugs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As a nurse, I can tell you that most medication thefts are from a family member, as @tinkr2 mentioned.  Pain medication (as well as anxiety medication) fetches quite a nice price on the street.  This may have had nothing to do with an RCI employee.  

Narcotics and anxiolytics should also never be in checked luggage -- only in carry-on bags that don't leave your side.  If flying with a carry-on bag that has a chance of being gate-checked due to not enough overhead bin room, your medications should always be in a personal bag that can be stored under the seat in front of you on the plane -- never leaving your supervision.  Similarly, meds with a black market value should not be left in luggage that is placed in the hallway the night before debarkation.

I'm curious why the OP's husband didn't notice the medication was missing until after they got home.  If it's medication he doesn't take every day, it may have gone missing before or after the cruise, rather than during the cruise.  And if it is medication that he takes daily, he should have noticed the missing pills during the cruise itself.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, brillohead said:

I'm curious why the OP's husband didn't notice the medication was missing until after they got home.  If it's medication he doesn't take every day, it may have gone missing before or after the cruise, rather than during the cruise.  And if it is medication that he takes daily, he should have noticed the missing pills during the cruise itself.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to find it strange that the medication was only noticed at home and not whilst being packed.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, peggy1 said:

My husband contacted Royal Caribbean and the call was less than satisfactory and she said they would look into it.

I am just baffled as to how the issue being looked into after you report it is "less than satisfactory"?  What on earth else do you want or expect to have happen?

One hopes that a notation is made that a report was made of drug theft from room XXXX on sailing XXXX and hopefuly they can still look up who all had access to that room in that sailing (steward, mini bar, maintence, etc) and then if similar reports come in over time all tied to rooms accessed by one of those same people, the öline  has reason to do more.  It is absolutely possible that an employee is stealing drugs and so addicted (to the drug or cash from selling) as to rifle through all clothing, etc looking in cabins for drugs at random, though perhaps more likely that someone who knows the passenger and knows he is on pain medication would have reason to look for the drugs in unusual places.

Certainly I hope you do not expect that someone is to be fired based off of one report that somone notied after the fact that they have fewer pills in their bottle than expected.  That would be a horrible and unfair practice to eomployees as the company has no way of knowing if a passenger making such a report is truthful, or perhaps the pasesnger took more and forgot or doesn't want the spouse to know how many are being taken, if the other members of the passenger's party took the drugs (my first thought was also the grandaughter TBH), if the medication went missing after leaving the ship but before being noticed, etc

(And even in cases with far more evidence in which there is a clear violation and someone does lose their job, passengers should not expect to be told such information).

• Like 1

Ah yes. Because all crew members are drug addicicts and all stateroom hosts have to time to search through everyone stuff in every room they clean in the hope to find their hit! 😂

Why didn't you report it on the ship? 

Was the phone call less than satisfactory purely  because you didn't get the response you wanted? 

As you can't prove who it was, I say fire all the crew from that sailing just to be sure! 

I feel sorry for Michael bayley and all the pathetic emails he has to trawl through everyday just to give someone an answer they already had from other people...

Thanks for another thread of laughs cc! 

9 hours ago, ldubs said:

I hope you are not suggesting the theft should not have been reported at all?  Of course it is valuable info for RCI.  For example,  perhaps there are other reports of similar incidents in other cabins.  If no reports are made, then nothing can happen.   

It should be reported and it should have been reported on the ship when someone could have actually done something about it.

While I agree that the theft should have been reported, I simply cannot figure out what kind of resolution OP expected. If the theft were discovered during the cruise, say while the occupants were at dinner on a particular evening, then security cameras might have been useful to tell who entered the cabin during that specific period. Waiting until they returned home made this totally impossible. 

8 hours ago, fredflint said:

I guess the thing to do is save some old pain pill bottles and put laxative in the bottle 🙂

LOL. That’s nasty, but funny. 

8 hours ago, harlekuin said:

Anytime you let someone into your space, plumber, cleaning person, grand children even, lock that stuff up....

Yes.

7 hours ago, RomanceMama said:

I have ALWAYS locked all of our meds - no matter what they are - whether we are on a cruise or in a hotel room.  Everything goes in the safe.  

Smart. 

6 hours ago, tinkr2 said:

And I am really going to tread  lightly here but often the most common theft of medication is a teen child or grandchild, At the schools, thats where most kids start getting pills. I am sorry you had a theft and I am glad you reported it. I would email the hotel director of the ship and housekeeping of your concerns.

I would tend to agree, and might take it a step further, from the family connection. It can also be older family members. 

5 hours ago, brillohead said:

As a nurse, I can tell you that most medication thefts are from a family member, as @tinkr2 mentioned.  Pain medication (as well as anxiety medication) fetches quite a nice price on the street.  This may have had nothing to do with an RCI employee.  

Narcotics and anxiolytics should also never be in checked luggage -- only in carry-on bags that don't leave your side.  If flying with a carry-on bag that has a chance of being gate-checked due to not enough overhead bin room, your medications should always be in a personal bag that can be stored under the seat in front of you on the plane -- never leaving your supervision.  Similarly, meds with a black market value should not be left in luggage that is placed in the hallway the night before debarkation.

Brillo, all very astute and accurate comments. Thanks for sharing. 

7 hours ago, brillohead said:

I wondered about this myself.  If the pills were discovered missing at home, that opens a LOT more people as suspects... UNLESS they walked off with their luggage AND drove home from the port.  If not, you have the following people with access to the luggage:

* Those who get the luggage from the hallway to the dock

* Those who set the luggage out for collection

* Baggage handlers at the airline (at originating airport, connecting airport, destination airport)

* TSA screeners

* To say nothing of ANY cruiser who theoretically COULD take luggage from the hallway once it's left out to their cabin, rumage through it, then set it back out with all the other luggage.