Watch your medication!!!!!!

peggy1

We were on the February 15th Anthem of the Seas cruise and when we got back my husband home he noticed a great many of his pain medication was missing!  His medication was buried within his clothing in the closet.  My Granddaughter had mentioned that her clothes in her drawers were not in the same place that he left it.  At the time we just assumed she was mistaken.  My husband contacted Royal Caribbean and the call was less than satisfactory and she said they would look into it.  When my husband asked to be connected to the CEO he was told he couldn't be reached by phone????  Be warned take any medication and lock it up in your safe. Wish we would have done that.  It's disappointing that you can't count on the cabin being safe while you are out of it.  I am very disgusted with Royal Caribbean   We are Diamond Plus but this unfortunately left us with a different opinion of the company since this theft.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, peggy1 said:

We were on the February 15th Anthem of the Seas cruise and when we got back my husband home he noticed a great many of his pain medication was missing!  His medication was buried within his clothing in the closet.  My Granddaughter had mentioned that her clothes in her drawers were not in the same place that he left it.  At the time we just assumed she was mistaken.  My husband contacted Royal Caribbean and the call was less than satisfactory and she said they would look into it.  When my husband asked to be connected to the CEO he was told he couldn't be reached by phone????  Be warned take any medication and lock it up in your safe. Wish we would have done that.  It's disappointing that you can't count on the cabin being safe while you are out of it.  I am very disgusted with Royal Caribbean   We are Diamond Plus but this unfortunately left us with a different opinion of the company since this theft.

Sorry this happened to you. I never treat any cabin or hotel room as being safe. Anything of value goes with us or in the safe. The time to make this an issue is onboard where something might be able to be done about it and at least the right people know to at least be on the look out for future issues.

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, peggy1 said:

My husband contacted Royal Caribbean and the call was less than satisfactory and she said they would look into it.  When my husband asked to be connected to the CEO he was told he couldn't be reached by phone????  Be warned take any medication and lock it up in your safe. Wish we would have done that.  It's disappointing that you can't count on the cabin being safe while you are out of it.  I am very disgusted with Royal Caribbean   We are Diamond Plus but this unfortunately left us with a different opinion of the company since this theft.

Not sure what you expect them to do on just a phone call.  They would have to complete some sort of investigation first.  In law enforcement we just don't arrest someone on the complainant's word and no, you can't just talk to the Chief of Police because you want resolution now.

You are judging an entire company on the actions of one......

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

Wow!  Never thought this might happen!  Will lock up meds next time!

It depends on the meds.

If one of the stronger pain meds, that can be abused, yes, lock them up, or carry them.

I take my pills in a daily pill planner, but they aren't any kind of pain pills.  If someone takes the time to search my cabin for my blood pressure, cholesterol pills and they find them in the planner, they  obviously knew what they were looking for and I might be in a bind, but I'm sure I could get them replaced.  

I think anything that is not the run of the mill pain relief, well, at least to me, I'd not have them in a planner, I'd have them in a bottle with the prescription info on it and in the safe.

Thanks for posting.  Many of us learn from post such as yours.

I'm sure they will investigate. I'f do what you did and call them, so at least if others complain about the same stateroom attendant there's a pattern.

Asking to speak with the CEO and expecting it to actually happen? Really? At what other company the size of Royal Caribbean would the CEO be accessible for call center employees to transfer customer calls to? Plus, in the grand scheme of things, this is a small issue, not something the CEO would handle.

• Like 5

I have called Marriott and spoken to the Asst. to CEO and guess what?  Got the matter resolved.  You may not got the actual CEO but if the assistant can get it done that's all I cared about.  If you don't ask you don't get anywhere.

This posting was meant to be a warning.  If you don't like it pass on it.  I'm not interested in your opinions about taking the matter farther up the line.  Someone said "I don't know what you expect them to do from a phone call"?  This brain trust is suggesting what that  I send smoke signals?  The call is to make them aware that there is a problem and they know our cabin and know who the cabin steward is and they will start an investigation.,   This is why a lot of people don't like to post because the sniping begins.  No good deed goes unpunished.  Some people just need to get a life..  

Edited by peggy1
  • Like 1

Prescription pain meds should always be locked up when not in your possession (or home).  DH takes a few meds (metformin, cholesterol and bp meds) and I take one (beta blocker for bp) but nothing that anyone would want so we don't lock it up.  DMIL takes a couple of heavy duty pain prescriptions and even in her home, the nurse who sorts them for her keeps those locked up because there are several aides who provide care for her and it's just not worth the risk.  People break into homes for oxycodone.  When I had my gallbladder out in Aug, my doctor prescribed me 5 pain pills which I never took.  When I got past the first few days taking only an occasional ibuprofen, I took the pills to the local Sheriff's office where there is a box to drop them off because it is such a problem.  They're worth a lot of money so they are a temptation for some.

I don't even keep my medication in the bathroom medicine cabinet at home not even aspirins. We have them tucked away in toiletry bags in the linen closet. We did this when we had small children and just never changed.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, peggy1 said:

I have called Marriott and spoken to the Asst. to CEO and guess what?  Got the matter resolved.  You may not got the actual CEO but if the assistant can get it done that's all I cared about.  If you don't ask you don't get anywhere.

This posting was meant to be a warning.  If you don't like it pass on it.  I'm not interested in your opinions about taking the matter farther up the line.  Someone said "I don't know what you expect them to do from a phone call"?  This brain trust is suggesting what that  I send smoke signals?  The call is to make them aware that there is a problem and they know our cabin and know who the cabin steward is and they will start an investigation.,   This is why a lot of people don't like to post because the sniping begins.  No good deed goes unpunished.  Some people just need to get a life..  

I post this with sincere honesty so I hope you take it as such.  First, thank you for the reminder that pain medications should ALWAYS be secured.  Right now, that is one of the most abused drugs in the US, second only to marijuana. It should be secured for many reasons....room attendants, room service persons, mini bar attendants, and especially grandchildren.  

On to the alleged theft.  The truth is, you're making a general theft allegation after the fact and with no evidence to point specifically to any of the number of people who had access to your room.  It doesn't make your husband any less of a victim, but what exactly does RCI have at this point to take action on?  There's not much they can do and speaking to the CEO isn't going to create any more evidence.  All he can do is give you the same lip service as Customer Support.  Unfortunately, that's just the reality.  

But once again, I do thank you for the reminder that pain meds should not be left loosely unattended.  

Edited by Aquahound
  • Like 12

25 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

On to the alleged theft.  The truth is, you're making a general theft allegation after the fact and with no evidence to point specifically to any of the number of people who had access to your room.  It doesn't make your husband any less of a victim, but what exactly does RCI have at this point to take action on?  

I hope you are not suggesting the theft should not have been reported at all?  Of course it is valuable info for RCI.  For example,  perhaps there are other reports of similar incidents in other cabins.  If no reports are made, then nothing can happen.   

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

I post this with sincere honesty so I hope you take it as such.  First, thank you for the reminder that pain medications should ALWAYS be secured.  Right now, that is one of the most abused drugs in the US, second only to marijuana. It should be secured for many reasons....room attendants, room service persons, mini bar attendants, and especially grandchildren.  

On to the alleged theft.  The truth is, you're making a general theft allegation after the fact and with no evidence to point specifically to any of the number of people who had access to your room.  It doesn't make your husband any less of a victim, but what exactly does RCI have at this point to take action on?  There's not much they can do and speaking to the CEO isn't going to create any more evidence.  All he can do is give you the same lip service as Customer Support.  Unfortunately, that's just the reality.  

But once again, I do thank you for the reminder that pain meds should not be left loosely unattended.  

There may be video of who went into the room, or key card history....

6 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I hope you are not suggesting the theft should not have been reported at all?  Of course it is valuable info for RCI.  For example,  perhaps there are other reports of similar incidents in other cabins.  If no reports are made, then nothing can happen.   

Thats not what I'm saying at all.  You deleted the rest of my comment.  What I'm saying is, talking to the CEO over missing medications is pointless.  

If someone stole meds, yes, RCI should be made aware.  Just don't expect results.  

Edited by Aquahound
  • Like 7