Watch your medication!!!!!!

peggy1

9 hours ago, steveru621 said:

I'm not locking up any medications I'm prescribed by a doctor.  It's not my problem the cabin attendant is a drug addict.

I read most of these posts as it's your fault you contributed to the illegal activity.  

Report and get them fired because it's likely it's not the first report.

That's asinine. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, LadeeBug100 said:

I am not accusing anyone of taking the drugs but am I the only one that wonders about the granddaughter stating her belongings were misplaced? 

To me that is a red flag , automatically placing blame on someone else.

If pills were missing I'd think it would have been noticed while  on the ship and should definitely  been reported at the time.

You’re not the only one seeing that red flag. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, steveru621 said:

I'm not locking up any medications I'm prescribed by a doctor.  It's not my problem the cabin attendant is a drug addict.

I read most of these posts as it's your fault you contributed to the illegal activity.  

Report and get them fired because it's likely it's not the first report.

If the prescriptions are highly addictive pain meds, it would be VERY irresponsible to not lock them up, especially considering the very highly publicized opioid addiction problem.  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, LadeeBug100 said:

I am not accusing anyone of taking the drugs but am I the only one that wonders about the granddaughter stating her belongings were misplaced? 

To me that is a red flag , automatically placing blame on someone else.

If pills were missing I'd think it would have been noticed while  on the ship and should definitely  been reported at the time.

Thats why I stated that its very common for teens to take drugs. And the whole, Oh my things were rummaged through sounded very suspicious to me also. 

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

The only people onboard who have the ability to open a safe are Security, and there will normally be two people present when it is opened.

32 minutes ago, PortSideCruzan said:

Hi chengkp75 ☺️

My wife & I just completed our 2nd, 12-night sailing onboard Anthem. We had an issue with our safe & were locked out. Our cabin steward sent his manager, (housekeeping manager), to our cabin to unlock & reset. The housekeeping manager was by herself, no security involved. After she unlocked & reset the safe, she turned her back to the safe & had me sign & initial her paperwork in two different locations on a form.

☺️

24 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

That's certainly not typical, and not my experience.  Interesting.  Did she give you a copy of the form?  If not, also interesting.

As I said, as one of the top five management onboard the ship, I was entrusted with a "hard" master key for all cabins, yet not with the ability to open cabin safes.

Hi chengkp75 ☺️

We were not given a copy of the form on the housekeeping manager's clipboard. It listed our stateroom number, the time she entered our cabin, her name, and that she unlocked & reset the safe. I signed & then had to initial next to where she wrote our (cabin # unlock/reset). The entire matter took less than 2 minutes.

There was not much to the form, maybe the size of a 3 × 5 card. Felt more like a room service visit, LOL!

Also note, this was initiated by me alerting my cabin steward of the safe issue & then him telling me he will send his manager to our cabin immediately. Not security. Within 5 minutes the housekeeping manager was at our door, by herself. With a clipboard/form & master key for the safe.

☺️

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

Ability.  And, nope for management.  I was a senior engineer on the ships, who oversaw the maintenance of the cabin safes, and I did not have the key or master code.  When my engineers/electricians went to work on a safe that was in a cabin, we had to have security with them, to open the safe if possible, and to witness the dismantling to open if necessary, and to witness the contents.  One of the things that keeps security busy on turn around day is changing door lock batteries and opening safes.

Agree. Twice in the past after boarding my battery needed replacing. 2 man team came to open/replace

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, PortSideCruzan said:

Hi chengkp75 ☺️

We were not given a copy of the form on the housekeeping manager's clipboard. It listed our stateroom number, the time she entered our cabin, her name, and that she unlocked & reset the safe. I signed & then had to initial next to where she wrote our (cabin # unlock/reset). The entire matter took less than 2 minutes.

There was not much to the form, maybe the size of a 3 × 5 card. Felt more like a room service visit, LOL!

Also note, this was initiated by me alerting my cabin steward of the safe issue & then him telling me he will send his manager to our cabin immediately. Not security. Within 5 minutes the housekeeping manager was at our door, by herself. With a clipboard/form & master key for the safe.

☺️

There may have been a different procedure you were not aware of. With you there, she might not have needed to bring anyone else and needed only to check the key out from Security.

Or possibly different experiences on different ships, or by different personnel, like everything else we read about.

As to the OP, as someone said, these are "controlled" substances. But "control" means nothing when people put them in the first location a casual thief with 15 seconds will examine.  I cannot tell you how many times people whose houses are broken into admit they didn't set an alarm. Ditto for people not using seatbelts. Safety precautions are only good if you use them.

Finally, it may be all a big nothing burger, to quote somebody....  If nothing else was missing, and it wasn't noticed for who knows how many days, it is altogether possible he didn't even know how many he had taken or forgot.

Edited by mayleeman
Clarified 2nd sentence.

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

If the prescriptions are highly addictive pain meds, it would be VERY irresponsible to not lock them up, especially considering the very highly publicized opioid addiction problem.  

I agree but also I can understand that when you are in what you assume to be your room alone for a week that you don't have to lock things up as much.  Similarly if you live alone or just with someone you trust, you'd not go to extreme measures. 

But I also think something is off with the original story, and the unfortunate part is no one wants to think it could possibly be a family member but having had a dear friend shock me by calling me up to ask for any pain meds I had with a recent surgery (I hadn't filled the prescription thankfully) you never know who can be struggling with addiction!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cloggedDrain said:

Do you really think that everybody opens their safe before they leave?  What if you forgot your code, what happens then?

So you put something in your safe and forget your code.  SOMEONE on the ship will help you open your safe, the room attendant is just not one of them.  

6 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

I agree but also I can understand that when you are in what you assume to be your room alone for a week that you don't have to lock things up as much.  Similarly if you live alone or just with someone you trust, you'd not go to extreme measures. 

But I also think something is off with the original story, and the unfortunate part is no one wants to think it could possibly be a family member but having had a dear friend shock me by calling me up to ask for any pain meds I had with a recent surgery (I hadn't filled the prescription thankfully) you never know who can be struggling with addiction!

Locking things up is not going to extreme measures.  Yes, you are in the room for a week, but you also have a cabin steward who is also in that cabin twice a day for the whole week.  There are also maintenance people who might be in your cabin or someone delivering C&A gifts, like chocolate covered strawberries, etc.

Lock up anything of value and medications.  It is common sense.

2 hours ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

Husband is on heavy duty pain meds.  He's taking more than he should.  Wife finds out, he blames the stateroom attendant.  Got it!

Not cool to make that accusation.

1 hour ago, ONECRUISER said:

Agree. Twice in the past after boarding my battery needed replacing. 2 man team came to open/replace

That's also been our experience with a dead safe battery.

1 hour ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

You’re not the only one seeing that red flag. 

I agree. It seems pretty convenient. 

I'm not saying it wasn't a crew member but it seems odd that it was hidden in a closet between clothing. In my experience whenever someone is in a room they leave the door wide open. Rifling through clothing trying to find drugs with the door open and not knowing when the passenger may come back? Seems crazy to me. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Locking things up is not going to extreme measures.  Yes, you are in the room for a week, but you also have a cabin steward who is also in that cabin twice a day for the whole week.  There are also maintenance people who might be in your cabin or someone delivering C&A gifts, like chocolate covered strawberries, etc.

Lock up anything of value and medications.  It is common sense.

I agree but I was thinking more of someone thinking it's locked well enough or hidden well enough whereas a true addict is going to search known hiding spots so even if you think you've taken protective measures where there is a will there is a way.

On ship though I don't doubt at all there aren't some employees who are addicts or who otherwise steal just as in any company on land but I expect the ship has some serious security and testing protocols and the time and responsibilities staff has to complete their assigned tasks makes one taking time to rummage cabins in the hopes of finding drugs more unlikely in my opinion.  That's where I think it could have been a family member or unnoticed before or after cruising, especially by someone who may have known what they were taking.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

I agree but I was thinking more of someone thinking it's locked well enough or hidden well enough whereas a true addict is going to search known hiding spots so even if you think you've taken protective measures where there is a will there is a way.

On ship though I don't doubt at all there aren't some employees who are addicts or who otherwise steal just as in any company on land but I expect the ship has some serious security and testing protocols and the time and responsibilities staff has to complete their assigned tasks makes one taking time to rummage cabins in the hopes of finding drugs more unlikely in my opinion.  That's where I think it could have been a family member or unnoticed before or after cruising, especially by someone who may have known what they were taking.

I saw the same red flag others saw after reading the OP.  I think the OP needs to look for other signs that might point them in the direction of the person who took this medication.

16 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

On ship though I don't doubt at all there aren't some employees who are addicts or who otherwise steal just as in any company on land but I expect the ship has some serious security and testing protocols and the time and responsibilities staff has to complete their assigned tasks makes one taking time to rummage cabins in the hopes of finding drugs more unlikely in my opinion.  

As I said, under international law, the maritime industry is about the most closely regulated industry in the world for drug and alcohol abuse.  So, no, there are no employees on the ship that are addicts, since the drug residues remain in the body for long periods, longer than an "addict" can go without, and therefore these people would be found out from regular testing.  Failure of a drug test, or refusal to take a drug test is a reason for termination, and likely loss of any maritime documentation.  Once onboard, the odds of going a full 6-10 month contract without being chosen for a random test is pretty slim.  Further, supervisors are required to have drug and alcohol awareness training, and their jobs can be in jeopardy if they know about a drug problem and don't report it.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

More likely than a crew member.

Sorry but still not cool. The OP never called out any specific employee as suspect but you just called out her husband for substance abuse. You should ask that your comment be deleted as well as mine.

3 hours ago, cloggedDrain said:

I just wanted to chime in to point out that room safes are only slight above security theater.  House keeping or room stewards are able to open the safe (how is it unlocked when you get to your room?).  The safe will keep roommates out, but if an employee (such as this case) really wanted the pills, they could easily open it.

The best practice is to keep them with you.

With that, I'm sorry this happened to OP.  This is an unfortunate situation.  Reporting the theft is the only thing you can do.

housekeeping and room attendants are NOT able to open safes. You call and a security person comes up to assist with safes. What would be the purpose of safes if they were able to be opened at random.

3 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

As I said, under international law, the maritime industry is about the most closely regulated industry in the world for drug and alcohol abuse.  So, no, there are no employees on the ship that are addicts, since the drug residues remain in the body for long periods, longer than an "addict" can go without, and therefore these people would be found out from regular testing.  Failure of a drug test, or refusal to take a drug test is a reason for termination, and likely loss of any maritime documentation.  Once onboard, the odds of going a full 6-10 month contract without being chosen for a random test is pretty slim.  Further, supervisors are required to have drug and alcohol awareness training, and their jobs can be in jeopardy if they know about a drug problem and don't report it.

Really interesting and good information - thank you!  So often staff on land and sea are first to be blamed but I expect more often than not the perpetrator is more closely known to the victim!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I'll disagree with this.  The only people onboard who have the ability to open a safe are Security, and there will normally be two people present when it is opened.

I can tell you from experience this is true! Once our safe would not open & we had to call someone to come help us get it open. They sent security with a witness & we had to be present & sign a waiver saying everything was accounted for! They take it VERY seriously! 

3 minutes ago, Big_G said:

Sorry but still not cool. The OP never called out any specific employee as suspect but you just called out her husband for substance abuse. You should ask that your comment be deleted as well as mine.

Not going to happen.  I don't know the OP at all. But I do know pain medication and substance abuse.  Someone on pain meds is "missing" some of them?  More often than not, they are abusing them.

The OP "called out" the entire company (heck, she wanted to speak to the CEO LOL!).   You are making an arbitrary distinction.

I still say he took them.

1 minute ago, RazorbackIslandGirl said:

I can tell you from experience this is true! Once our safe would not open & we had to call someone to come help us get it open. They sent security with a witness & we had to be present & sign a waiver saying everything was accounted for! They take it VERY seriously! 

Well, evidently different ships, different crews, different experiences.  Our safe malfunctioned and an individual maintenance worker came to our room and took care of it.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

Well, evidently different ships, different crews, different experiences.  Our safe malfunctioned and an individual maintenance worker came to our room and took care of it.

That's crazy! I feel certain that's a no no! Quite frankly, I remember thinking, "Wow! This seems extreme just to open my safe". But, after hearing stories like OP's & others I understand going overboard to cover your own behind! 

Edited by RazorbackIslandGirl