Watch your medication!!!!!!

peggy1

6 hours ago, cloggedDrain said:

I just wanted to chime in to point out that room safes are only slight above security theater.  House keeping or room stewards are able to open the safe (how is it unlocked when you get to your room?).  The safe will keep roommates out, but if an employee (such as this case) really wanted the pills, they could easily open it.

No, it is open because the last people left it open, or security came and opened it.

Look for threads on safes that would not open, or were locked.  And they send two people, a security person and an officer to oversee.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SRF said:

Most medications can be fairly easily refilled or replaced.  I have had to do so a few times when international work trips got extended.

In many cases, you just have to know what you need, go into the pharmacy and buy it.  No prescription needed.

However, if it is a controlled med, like many prescription pain meds, you will NOT be able to get more of these easily, if at all.

Go to what pharmacy?  You're on a ship, with possibly days before you reach land. And I would imagine the "pharmacy" on a cruise ship has a fairly limited selection.

Even if you are already at a port, you will most likely be in a foreign country.  It seems very risky to expect that a pharmacy there would have what you need, and would be willing to sell it to you without a prescription.

Edited by time4u2go

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

So, no, there are no employees on the ship that are addicts, since the drug residues remain in the body for long periods, longer than an "addict" can go without, and therefore these people would be found out from regular testing.

With all do respect, this is simply not correct.  Oxycodone for example is only detectable for a few days

7 minutes ago, cloggedDrain said:

With all do respect, this is simply not correct.  Oxycodone for example is only detectable for a few days

And if the person is addicted to oxy, they will be taking it every day or couple of days, re-establishing the residues in the urine, and the longer a person takes it, the longer it stays in the system.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, peggy1 said:

I have called Marriott and spoken to the Asst. to CEO and guess what?  Got the matter resolved.  You may not got the actual CEO but if the assistant can get it done that's all I cared about.  If you don't ask you don't get anywhere.

This posting was meant to be a warning.  If you don't like it pass on it.  I'm not interested in your opinions about taking the matter farther up the line.  Someone said "I don't know what you expect them to do from a phone call"?  This brain trust is suggesting what that  I send smoke signals?  The call is to make them aware that there is a problem and they know our cabin and know who the cabin steward is and they will start an investigation.,   This is why a lot of people don't like to post because the sniping begins.  No good deed goes unpunished.  Some people just need to get a life..  

Actually you would have gotten Marriott Customer Care. 

15 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

And if the person is addicted to oxy, they will be taking it every day or couple of days, re-establishing the residues in the urine, and the longer a person takes it, the longer it stays in the system.

My point is the comment of "there are no employees on the ship that are addicts" is simply not true.  People can be addicts and skirt the system.  For example, a person is chosen for their urinalysis and then they realize they probably wont he picked again for quiet some time.  This is when they are able to binge.  Sure, they may eventually get caught, but they are there.

However I do recognize the strict rules and regulations with maritime law, along with the rules and regulations with the cruise lines themselves.  These measures certainly do weed out the fast majority of people who should not be involved in this business.  However it's not perfect, and bad people can slip through the cracks. 

6 minutes ago, cloggedDrain said:

For example, a person is chosen for their urinalysis and then they realize they probably wont he picked again for quiet some time.  This is when they are able to binge

I don’t think addiction allows you to use that logic. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cloggedDrain said:

My point is the comment of "there are no employees on the ship that are addicts" is simply not true.  People can be addicts and skirt the system.  For example, a person is chosen for their urinalysis and then they realize they probably wont he picked again for quiet some time.  This is when they are able to binge.  Sure, they may eventually get caught, but they are there.

However I do recognize the strict rules and regulations with maritime law, along with the rules and regulations with the cruise lines themselves.  These measures certainly do weed out the fast majority of people who should not be involved in this business.  However it's not perfect, and bad people can slip through the cracks. 

You can tell you've never worked on ships. Sure you can think it, but as an ex cm, there really are no addicts. In such a close environment, even if no test picked it up, someone else would. You'd mess up at work, or your roommate would talk, or youd get caught searching through guests stuff every day rather than doing your job... Everyone knows everything on a ship. 

And anyway. Even if there were, it's so much easier to get what you want in port than to risk getting caught/wasting your time looking through every guests draw/bag/safe in the hope that they might have the drug that works for you...

• Like 4

I had one time the previous cruiser had closed the safe when they left, so I couldn't use it upon boarding.  Another time the battery died in the middle of the week.

Both times I told my room steward, and both times Security came with two employees.  When the safe was working but just closed from the previous cruiser, it was two Security employees.  When the battery needed to be changed, it was Security and a maintenance worker (blue coveralls).

Both times we were told we had to be present -- even when none of our stuff was in the safe because it was closed when we got to the room, they wouldn't just come open it and leave it open for us -- we had to be there.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SRF said:

Most medications can be fairly easily refilled or replaced.  I have had to do so a few times when international work trips got extended.

In many cases, you just have to know what you need, go into the pharmacy and buy it.  No prescription needed.

However, if it is a controlled med, like many prescription pain meds, you will NOT be able to get more of these easily, if at all.

That’s probably true in large cities. I haven’t seen any drug stores in the Caribbean. However I have been offered controlled substances a few times on the islands especially Jamaica. Probably drugs that were stolen from cruise ship passengers.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, SRF said:

For me I got to buy metformin and blood pressure pills in the Philippines with no prescription and at prices equal to or less than in the USA.  Not a bad idea to research the policies of countries you will be visiting.  In many countries pain meds, especially opiates, require a doctor to examine you and write a prescription.  I know people who can not purchase more than a 30 day supply of their meds, cannot replace them out of country, so all of their out of country trips are short ones.

11 hours ago, cloggedDrain said:

Do you really think that everybody opens their safe before they leave?  What if you forgot your code, what happens then?

Of course the room stewards open the safe before you embark.   See this article for more information:  There's a Secret Code Thieves Use to Break Into Hotel Safes

No, they call Housekeeping to open the safe as they have special tools.  I've had problems by accidentally closing the safe and the Cabin Steward had to summon Housekeeping. 

Ps.  I better, lock my stash of the little blue pills.:classic_biggrin:

On 2/28/2019 at 4:23 PM, papajak said:

So sorry this happened to you. I have had realtor friends tell me that people are coming to open houses to steal meds in the homes as well. Crazy!

Realtor also. I always tell clients to remove their meds along with valuables. It's scary out there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisegal40 said:

Realtor also. I always tell clients to remove their meds along with valuables. It's scary out there.

Had a Realtor who had only 2 boxes lost from an intown move of 5,000 square foot home. She admitted she didn't pay attention to her own advice, and had labelled one "Meds" snd the other "Liquor".

I think crew who resell drugs are a more likely theft threat than addicts. 

3 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

That’s probably true in large cities. I haven’t seen any drug stores in the Caribbean. However I have been offered controlled substances a few times on the islands especially Jamaica. Probably drugs that were stolen from cruise ship passengers.

On most Caribbean islands, they are pharmacies with green crosses, not drug stores. You can purchase a lot of medications without prescriptions, but not controlled pain medications or ocular medications. Antibiotics, *****, Retin A, Valium, Synthroid, Propranolol, and probably many others, are pretty much readily available without a prescription.   

I can add to the experiences that my safe wouldn't open on FOTS the morning of disembarkation. Two guys showed up and eventually opened my safe while I panicked. 

I keep all of my meds in two weeks of pillboxes in the safe at all times. I trust no one that has access to my room on a cruise ship. 

Edited by Johnamac123

16 hours ago, cloggedDrain said:

That is why testing is random.  You can be picked twice in just a week or two.  It happens.  In fact, random testing is the only way it is effective in catching anyone.

BTW, what determines when someone gets to decide somethings been discussed enough? 

Edited by BND

This is stupid.  If you replace the word "medication" with "cash" or "jewelry", then this is just another thread of someone making a completely baseless accusation against a crew member.

Even more absurd, everyone on the internet is suddenly an expert on drugs of abuse, addiction, and HR drug testing policies.  All I can say is that if you are looking for a lot of WRONG information, this thread is your go-to place!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Go to what pharmacy?  You're on a ship, with possibly days before you reach land. And I would imagine the "pharmacy" on a cruise ship has a fairly limited selection.

Even if you are already at a port, you will most likely be in a foreign country.  It seems very risky to expect that a pharmacy there would have what you need, and would be willing to sell it to you without a prescription.

I meant when you get to port. DUH.

You would be surprised.  People in other countries do use drugs.  And many of the same ones that we use in the US.  And the great thing is, a MUCH lower price. 😄

And not all countries require a prescription.  And even those that may require one for some things, may not for common non-abused drugs (like blood pressure meds, cholesterol meds, etc).  My experience is that more countries don't require a prescription than do.  Also, in many countries, doctors do not prescribe treatment, they diagnose and pharmacists (who have 4 years of post graduate training in DRUGS) determine treatment.

And if you need a prescription, the doc on the ship can give you one.  Or, many pharmacies can recommend a local doctor to get the prescription.

I have had to refill my prescriptions in other countries.  In most, I have walked in, told them what I needed (you may need the chemical name versus the brand name), and they supplied it.  A couple of times, it took some back and forth to get the local name for a given drug.  

10 hours ago, Coralc said:

On most Caribbean islands, they are pharmacies with green crosses, not drug stores. You can purchase a lot of medications without prescriptions, but not controlled pain medications or ocular medications. Antibiotics, *****, Retin A, Valium, Synthroid, Propranolol, and probably many others, are pretty much readily available without a prescription.   

That is a good point, what we see as a drug store is a store with a pharmacy.  In most countries those stores do not have pharmacies.  Pharmacies are separate stores. 

And yes, the green cross is the international symbol for a pharmacy.

And yes, there are a number of people, who hit pharmacies for Vitamin V and C (think about it 😄 ) as it is cheaper and no prescription needed. 

I have picked up antibiotics to have when traveling if needed.

You can get a number of pain relievers that are prescription in the US.  Narcotic pain relievers will be difficult to buy ( DUH 😄 ).

Edited by SRF