Regal Princess Rescue

richsea

I just saw on the site not to be mentioned here, that Regal Princess just diverted course and successfully rescued two people from the water from a downed aircraft. Reportedly both are well, & Regal is back on schedule to arrive in St. Thomas. Great job!

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

A friend is on that sailing and I saw his news of it.  Hopefully he will come on and post his pictures... 

As Colo Cruiser said, somebody was indeed watching over them. 

I'm here!  What an amazing job the Captain and crew did today.  Capt Stringer came on the PA around 12:30 statinng "Man Overboard" at first, but I guess this is the way they get the rescue crew to muster.  We altered our course and made it to the area in about 45 minutes to where the USCG C-130 was searching.  The Capt gave us an update every 15 minutes.  Finally, when we were is the search area the ships horn sounded indicating that a raft was spotted.  The ship slowed and turned and the high speed rescue craft was launched.  Two survivors of the plane crash were brought aboard the rescue craft and brought back to the ship.  The rescue crew then went to retrieve the life raft so that it was not mistaken left floating at sea.  Capt Stinger and his crew deserve a ton of credit for their professionalism.

On a side note, the only bizzare thing of this whole situation...we are all standing at the railing looking for signs of life, with the Captain giving us updates every 15 minutes.  You would think that all other use of the PA system would be suspended....Nope....the Art folks felt it was very important to make sure EVERYONE knew there was a big art auction beginning soon.  I hope Capt Stringer has that person Keel Hauled for such a stupid announcement during a very serious situation.  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CRLess said:

I

On a side note, the only bizzare thing of this whole situation...we are all standing at the railing looking for signs of life, with the Captain giving us updates every 15 minutes.  You would think that all other use of the PA system would be suspended....Nope....the Art folks felt it was very important to make sure EVERYONE knew there was a big art auction beginning soon.  I hope Capt Stringer has that person Keel Hauled for such a stupid announcement during a very serious situation.  

Somewhere there’s a person who is a little bit miffed that the art auction on their cruise was interfered with 

• Haha 3

Thanks Chris for coming on!!  It must have been something to see.  Thankfully the Regal was able to save them.

Crazy to hear that they talked about the art auction.  Guess not everyone was interested in watching what was going on outside.

Hope you and Brenda are having the greatest time!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CRLess said:

I'm here!  What an amazing job the Captain and crew did today.  Capt Stringer came on the PA around 12:30 statinng "Man Overboard" at first, but I guess this is the way they get the rescue crew to muster.  We altered our course and made it to the area in about 45 minutes to where the USCG C-130 was searching.  The Capt gave us an update every 15 minutes.  Finally, when we were is the search area the ships horn sounded indicating that a raft was spotted.  The ship slowed and turned and the high speed rescue craft was launched.  Two survivors of the plane crash were brought aboard the rescue craft and brought back to the ship.  The rescue crew then went to retrieve the life raft so that it was not mistaken left floating at sea.  Capt Stinger and his crew deserve a ton of credit for their professionalism.

We are also onboard and found that very strange. 

Amazing professionalism by the Captain and crew! 

F0B869F5-4AA9-4B88-817B-445A1456AB2D.jpeg

8050B9BD-4244-410B-9586-9D75CAB30058.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We were on board Regal Princess too.  The Captain and crew did such a wonderful job.  I can't believe how fast they were found.  On the ship's TV they had a 11 minute interview with the Captain (one other officer) and the two men.

The men said that their air plane lost oil pressure and the engine  seized.  Their plane had a parachute . ( i never knew that a plane could have one).  They put on their life jackets, and parachute opened and the plane made a hard landing on the water.  They both then were able to get out of the plane and get into the raft.  They were not hurt.  It was unbelievable.

I hope other who were on board with me will post more about the TV interview.

Edited by geocruiser
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, geocruiser said:

We were on board Regal Princess too.  The Captain and crew did such a wonderful job.  I can't believe haw fast they were found.  On the ship's TV they had a 11 minute interview with the Captain (one other officer) and the two men.

The men said that their air plane lost oil pressure and the engine  seized.  Their plane had a parachute . ( i never knew that a plane could have one).  They put on their life jackets, and parachute opened and the plane made a hard landing on the water.  They both then were able to get out of the plane and get into the raft.  They were not hurt.  It was unbelievable.

I hope other who were on board with me will post more about the TV interview.

I kind of thought they had that parachute  safety system when I read they survived. It is used on smaller aircraft in the private sector. Pretty expensive but well worth it.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2019 at 3:05 PM, Colo Cruiser said:

I kind of thought they had that parachute  safety system when I read they survived. It is used on smaller aircraft in the private sector. Pretty expensive but well worth it.

Parachute is standard equipment on Cirrus light aircraft.