Flight arrival morning of cruise

Mem0ryEat3r

Does anyone have any experiences flying in the day of the cruise?

we know most people say to fly in a day earlier, but my wife and i are taking an 8 day Caribbean cruise on the magic and with total travel time we have maxed our vacation days from work and can not, unfortunately fly in the day before. its in october so we have time, flights are booked thru my carnival agent with the fly2fun program. we can change them if need be. 

both my wife and i are hoping we can get the extra day and change our flights, but if not, we want to hear some experiences to soothe our fears.  i used to fly a lot when i was in the military and i never had much problems, if any, with delays that were at all significant, but life happens. 

You probably don't want to see this I did it once NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! too stressful especially with connecting flights. You're only saving grace is booking flight and transportation through Carnival. Oh and buy insurance

• Like 2

We flew in the day of our cruise one time.  Our plane was delayed a couple of hours due to bad weather.  We flew out of Atlanta, so we weren't worried about a snow delay,  but there were bad thunder storms in Feb,  who knew?  We made it in time, but we learned our lesson,  anything can happen.

• Like 2

That's a long flight from So Cal.  Red Eye?  Southwest out of John Wayne?

If so probably gonna be a stop over or plane change somewhere.  Always a flag for delays.

Saving grace may be that Port Everglades is a 10 minute taxi from FLL.

But I wouldn't chance it.  Certainly grab insurance, but if you don't use Carnival transportation do carry the 800 number with you so you can call if delayed. 

• Like 1

Just now, crewsweeper said:

That's a long flight from So Cal.  Red Eye?  Southwest out of John Wayne?

If so probably gonna be a stop over or plane change somewhere.  Always a flag for delays.

Saving grace may be that Port Everglades is a 10 minute taxi from FLL.

But I wouldn't chance it.  Certainly grab insurance, but if you don't use Carnival transportation do carry the 800 number with you so you can call if delayed. 

delta to florida and american back.  there is a stop over in georgia at atlanta. an airport im very familiar with from my time flying when i was in the army. 

we are leaving john wayne airport at 9pm on friday night, stopover in atlanta from midnight to 3am and then we should arrive in floria to FLL at 9am according to the schedule.  ship leaves at 4:30pm. we have very little wiggle room. ive flown 20 times with transfers and only ever had 2 delays, one was minor and one was getting stuck in blizzard when i was in germany. 

i guess im just worried since we are missing so much work to enjoy ourselves, i want to minimize stress but that probably wont happen until im on the ship and get my first drink haha

• Like 1

Well, you do have wiggle room.  But October is  hurricane season and Hotlanta gets its share of remnants.  Plus FLL can get the brunt on East side landings.

Pascal's and Café Intermezzo in Concourse B both open at 6AM for breakfast.  There a Chick-fil-a in Concourse A that opens at if you're grabbing and going.

The odds are on your side to make a same-day flight. The problem is, there is a chance that you won't make it in time. Not making it in time is a catastrophic event that can cost you big time or even miss out on your flight.

We always fly in at least one day in advance, and enjoy the night there. That is part of the vacation! If you want to minimize taking days off, look for a later flight the night before.

39 minutes ago, Mem0ryEat3r said:

delta to florida and american back.  there is a stop over in georgia at atlanta. an airport im very familiar with from my time flying when i was in the army. 

we are leaving john wayne airport at 9pm on friday night, stopover in atlanta from midnight to 3am and then we should arrive in floria to FLL at 9am according to the schedule.  ship leaves at 4:30pm. we have very little wiggle room. ive flown 20 times with transfers and only ever had 2 delays, one was minor and one was getting stuck in blizzard when i was in germany. 

i guess im just worried since we are missing so much work to enjoy ourselves, i want to minimize stress but that probably wont happen until im on the ship and get my first drink haha

When did you serve and did you serve at benning?

Mike

You're making the correct decision to get 80% of it done on Friday night.  Last year when San Juan was CRAZY expensive to stay post hurricane, we flew to MCO on Friday and caught the 6a flight to SJU on Saturday.  Our cruise wasn't departing until evening so I was 'okay' with that.  We ended up being fine.  And there were at least 3 or so planes out of Florida that they could have stuck us on in an emergency.

Here's the thing.  Sometimes weather/mechanical things happen.  You ALWAYS want options.  Just this past month we got cancelled on a day before flight but the airline had enough time to successfully reroute us.  But once you run out of options, there simply aren't any more.  In a worst case, they could have gotten us to an alternate airport (we were going to FLL) and I could have rented a car.  TPA is all you can do?  Sure, I'll drive the rest. In your case, Atlanta is 10 hours away.  Remember that fact.  Tampa or Orlando would be better.

Can you catch an earlier flight Friday?  No doubt that's the last one east and if it doesn't go, you're likely toast.  Even a 6p departure toward ATL gives you a little more flexibility.

Edited by jsglow
  • Like 1

My son and family recently flew Sun Country out of MSP to MIA same day with no problem. Was a necessity for them and with only two flights a day, they were split and booked on both of them. DIL could only get one seat on the early flight as it was full when she tried to book subsequent passengers. I told her to take all the checked luggage with her to speed up process for later arrivals. Rest of family arrived on schedule at 1:00 and they were at POM by 1:30. I was the stressed one!

I've done 13 cruises.  I've flown in the day of 13 times.  I've made it to the ship on time 13 times, knock on wood.  Your mileage may vary.  I know the risks and can handle the downsides; you should be sure to keep them in mind also.

I'd worry a little more about flying during hurricane season.  Those things can scramble flights (and cruises) for days over a large area.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mem0ryEat3r said:

we are leaving john wayne airport at 9pm on friday night, stopover in atlanta from midnight to 3am and then we should arrive in floria to FLL at 9am according to the schedule.  ship leaves at 4:30pm. we have very little wiggle room

I’m an Atlanta based airline pilot. Knowing what I know, I would NEVER fly in on the day of the cruise, even less with a connection, and even less if that connection is in Atlanta. Anybody telling you that they always fly on the day of the cruise and have never had any issue simply hasn’t flown enough to become a statistic. 

That aside, for me those flights would mean that the first 24-48 hours of my vacation would be shut. Being exhausted and jet lagged makes for a miserable start of my vacation. I’ve tried it several times for similar reasons as yours, and the result is always the same. It sucks. Wife is grouchy and edgy. In response I’m grouchy and edgy as well, and we are not really enjoying the vacation.

These days, if we can’t get somewhere on flights that are convenient and that allow us to begin and end our vacation on a relaxed note, we don’t take the vacation. And when we cruise, we allow minimum of 1 night prior to the cruise. I don’t even consider a cruise unless I have enough vacation time for the extra night(s) prior to the cruise. For our cruise last November, we sailed the Mediterranean, and I only agreed to do it if we could get nonstop flights and if we flew out 3 days prior. We left on a Thursday for a Sunday departure. Looking back, it was the absolute right decision.  

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 1

I've always done day of travel due to work and other issues.  I book flights through the cruise company -- have done this with Royal, Carnival, and Holland.  I do this because they'll assist when there are flight issues and try to get you to the next port if you miss departure.

I had to use Royal's Air2Sea assistance once.  Had a connecting flight, and the first airport we were flying into had fog and we couldn't take off.  Called Air2Sea and they got us on a flight with a totally different airline within minutes (while we were in line waiting to speak to a Delta rep), no cost for changes, etc.

Now I only book nonstop out and leave as early as possible in the a.m.  I also don't stray far from the gate after arriving so I hear about delays or cancellations as soon as possible.  

Edited by RW_MI
  • Like 1

Done it successfully a dozen or more times (not sure if that qualifies as enough to become a statistical abnormality).  You just have to pick the right time, the right airline and the right season to mitigate the risk.

Of course, all it takes is one anomaly and the whole house of cards falls down.  Most, understandably, won't gamble given what's at stake.

If you have no other choice but fly in the day of (short of lying to your boss about being sick right before your vacation to garner another day), plan carefully and purchase good travel insurance.

Edited by StolidCruiser

I've done it/will do it. I live in the DC area and flew to FLL & Mobile the morning of embarkation. I leave at least four hours between landing and final boarding. I picked itineraries that lifted off before 7am. No problems either time. Now, when I fly to LA in January 2020, I am flying out the day before. When I leave out of MIA in September 2019 I am flying out of DCA to MIA arriving at 10:42am (direct). Ship departs at 4:30pm. I assume final boarding is 3:30pm. Therefore, I have 4.5 hours of cushion.

I also am well aware of the consequences and booked airfare/transfer through the cruise line.

• Like 1

The one time I flew in the morning of the cruise was the one time I was THE LAST freaking person on board. We barely made it on time. I vowed then and there to NEVER fly in the morning of again. The stress I felt that morning was awful and almost ruined my vacation.  We had booked the earliest possible flight but between mechanical issues and weather we were screwed. So while many people have no issues, to me its not worth it. I will always come in at least the day before now.

2 hours ago, jsglow said:

You're making the correct decision to get 80% of it done on Friday night.  Last year when San Juan was CRAZY expensive to stay post hurricane, we flew to MCO on Friday and caught the 6a flight to SJU on Saturday.  Our cruise wasn't departing until evening so I was 'okay' with that.  We ended up being fine.  And there were at least 3 or so planes out of Florida that they could have stuck us on in an emergency.

Here's the thing.  Sometimes weather/mechanical things happen.  You ALWAYS want options.  Just this past month we got cancelled on a day before flight but the airline had enough time to successfully reroute us.  But once you run out of options, there simply aren't any more.  In a worst case, they could have gotten us to an alternate airport (we were going to FLL) and I could have rented a car.  TPA is all you can do?  Sure, I'll drive the rest. In your case, Atlanta is 10 hours away.  Remember that fact.  Tampa or Orlando would be better.

Can you catch an earlier flight Friday?  No doubt that's the last one east and if it doesn't go, you're likely toast.  Even a 6p departure toward ATL gives you a little more flexibility.

45 minutes ago, Bookworm1985 said:

The one time I flew in the morning of the cruise was the one time I was THE LAST freaking person on board. We barely made it on time. I vowed then and there to NEVER fly in the morning of again. The stress I felt that morning was awful and almost ruined my vacation.  We had booked the earliest possible flight but between mechanical issues and weather we were screwed. So while many people have no issues, to me its not worth it. I will always come in at least the day before now.

I am trying to catch an earlier flight friday if possible. 

leaving the night before the cruise is stressful even 205 days away lol i appreciate the amazing input and advice. im waiting for my PVP to call back to adjust my flights now. 

4 hours ago, Mem0ryEat3r said:

Does anyone have any experiences flying in the day of the cruise?

we know most people say to fly in a day earlier, but my wife and i are taking an 8 day Caribbean cruise on the magic and with total travel time we have maxed our vacation days from work and can not, unfortunately fly in the day before. its in october so we have time, flights are booked thru my carnival agent with the fly2fun program. we can change them if need be. 

both my wife and i are hoping we can get the extra day and change our flights, but if not, we want to hear some experiences to soothe our fears.  i used to fly a lot when i was in the military and i never had much problems, if any, with delays that were at all significant, but life happens. 

I have done it and it worked out fine (DEN-LAX nonstop).  I'm a Type A traveler so, of course, I imagined the worse happening.  I will do it again ONLY if it is a non-stop flight the day of the cruise.  I will never do it with a layover flight, which is a lot of flights, since I'm in Denver.  I always prefer to fly in the day before.