More than one entree

For those trying to compare the value of a cruise to other vacations, all I have to say is, perceived value is relative to each individual. Cost is one thing, but value is another. We've taken a particular land-based vacation (more than once) that cost a third of one of our cruises, but I enjoyed it as much, if not more, than a cruise. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy cruises and you do get a lot for the money, but that doesn't make them better than other vacations we've taken. Someone said you can't compare the experience of a cruise to an A.I., for example. Sure you can, because how much you value those experiences differs between each person.

• Like 4

On 3/21/2019 at 6:57 PM, Steve551 said:

Double? Only double? I eat about a billion of them..... or at least 3. Lobster 2 through ???? I tell them to bring the lobster only, no sense wasting the shrimp and veggies.

Do They just bring the lobster?  On my first cruise, my sister asked for another lobster tail only. They told her they had to bring her an entire dinner.  She ate the lobster, I ate the shrimp. 

1 hour ago, Butterbean1000 said:

Do They just bring the lobster?  On my first cruise, my sister asked for another lobster tail only. They told her they had to bring her an entire dinner.  She ate the lobster, I ate the shrimp. 

While it possibly can be done, all we have ever seen or experienced was full plate (they are preplated).  

23 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

While it possibly can be done, all we have ever seen or experienced was full plate (they are preplated).  

I think that you are correct on Carnival. It's a waste of food.

Recently on an Ante-Up poker cruise, on RCL, they brought our table a platter of extra lobsters when we asked for more.

On at least two separate Carnival cruises, our Head Waiter has brought a plate piled full of just lobster tails around to our table and others, while we were eating our entree.  We had not ordered extra, had not requested extra, had not even hinted that we might want extra.  The waiter just brought extra tails around to the tables in his section, offering them to whomever wanted them.  He served them out to each "taker" with tongs and moved on to the next table. 

I don't know if this is still done (last time I'm sure it happened was 2016), if this was a ship-specific thing (each time this has happened it has been on Carnival Pride), or if this is just a choice for individual servers to make.  But it has definitely been done.

Edited by ShakyBeef
specify Carnival cruises

On our last cruise, our waiter in MDR told everyone that the lobster tails were small, so he would bring extras, and he did.  Ditto the night they had a filet steak or something like that.  He brought extras for everyone who ordered them, without asking.  He just announced, they are small tonight, so I bring you two.  

On 3/25/2019 at 9:30 AM, Crazy4Camping said:

I guess I should've cruised back then!

You misunderstood.  The price of a cruise today is pretty much the same as it was decades ago even though inflation has cut the value of a $1 in half.  It is much cheaper to go on a cruise today than it was in the past.

• Like 1

On our  Spring Break cruise, while we often ordered more than one appetizer, we never ordered more than one entree'. HOWEVER, because our head waitress was somebody we'd sailed with before, she would bring us extra entrees she felt we'd like and generally, Hubs and I would split them or he'd eat the entire thing himself (he has a big appetite).

11 minutes ago, Joannawog said:

Can you order more than one entrée at the steakhouse?  We are sailing out on the Valor.

No reason to....you can get an app, salad, soup, entree, two sides and a dessert.  You can also swap out the salad or soup for a second app.  And of course the amuse bouche.

21 minutes ago, Joannawog said:

Can you order more than one entrée at the steakhouse?  We are sailing out on the Valor.

While you can, you will be charged for it.  It's similar to ordering two of an item at any other venue where there's a fee.  Two lobster rolls at the seafood shack, for instance.

I have always found the steakhouse graciously willing to allow substitutions, such as an extra appetizer in place of a side or salad.

On 3/21/2019 at 9:37 AM, xDisconnections said:

Tablecloths were part of the dining experience too. Things change.

@Seago2😄

I haven't cruise in 9 years.  So no more tablecloths in the MDR?  Can't remember last time I went to a classy restaurant with no TCs.  Is this just a carnival thing or does RC do it too?  What about others.  Not impressed.  

6 minutes ago, bjfitz0703 said:

I haven't cruise in 9 years.  So no more tablecloths in the MDR?  Can't remember last time I went to a classy restaurant with no TCs.  Is this just a carnival thing or does RC do it too?  What about others.  Not impressed.  

You might be even less impressed when wine bottles and glasses slide on the table.

This subject has been hashed and rehashed.  I remain in the minority in thinking it was a bad decision.

58 minutes ago, bjfitz0703 said:

Can't remember last time I went to a classy restaurant with no TCs. 

you need to get out more often. We have eaten at Michelin restaurants that do not use table cloths. 

1 hour ago, bjfitz0703 said:

Back when I first heard that they discontinued table cloths, except for Elegant Night, I was surprised, too. But then Insailed the Breeze, and it was no big deal. It certainly didn’t diminish the great experience we always have in the MDR. And, really, how many restaurants do you go to at home that actually always use table cloths. I’d say not many.