Allure - Our room was raided and tossed!

17 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Until TSA Pre-Check came along, I was "randomly" selected for secondary screening virtually every time I flew to join/leave a ship.  One way ticket, bought within the last week, paid for by third party was a 100% trigger.

Thanks. Traveled lot for Military, as Federal Employee and trips to VA usually all with couple days notice. Also unfortunately from 2008-March 2018 each year I've had at least one Family Member and my Best Friend pass away while traveling out of town... 

Edited by ONECRUISER

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

59 minutes ago, Pratique said:

That is interesting. Thanks for posting.

Interesting, sure.  But it remains 1 side of a story.  We don't know what all happened in that interaction or what led to CBP wanting to look at the phone.  

If there's one lesson learned from the media lately, its that until all info is known, no one should rush to judgment.  

Edited by Aquahound
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

If there's one lesson learned from the media lately, its that until all info is known, no one should rush to judgment.  

Very true but people believe what they want to believe as shown by recent comments. Truth and objectivity are almost extinct today. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Interesting, sure.  But it remains 1 side of a story.  We don't know what all happened in that interaction or what led to CBP wanting to look at the phone.  

Well said. How many times hear one side story to find out later truth is totally different. I always reserve judgement but cautiously 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

Very true but people believe what they want to believe as shown by recent comments. Truth and objectivity are almost extinct today. 

Good luck getting the government’s side of the story.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

This needs to be a disclaimer on every site, every day to remind people of 🙂

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

Sigh, unfortunately yes.  Everyone brings their own perspective to judgment so objectivity goes out the window and it's so hard to get people to understand that simply because they wouldn't like it, or to them it doesn't seem fair or equitable, doesn't mean it isn't.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Not only know our rights but we must fight violations of our constitutional rights.

Because you were there and know exactly what happened, apparently. I mean, that’s gotta be it because there’s no way anyone still believes everything they read in the media. No way. 

• Like 3

On 4/1/2019 at 12:46 PM, Pratique said:

They still need reasonable suspicion. United States v. Montoya De Hernandez, 473 U.S. 531 (1985)

"The detention of a traveler at the border, beyond the scope of a routine customs search and inspection, is justified at its inception if customs agents, considering all the facts surrounding the traveler and her trip, reasonably suspect that the traveler is smuggling contraband in her alimentary canal; here, the facts, and their rational inferences, known to the customs officials clearly supported a reasonable suspicion that respondent was an alimentary canal smuggler."

https://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-supreme-court/473/531.html

So, it took to page 15 for me wading thru this to finally call out...   Bicker is that you???

Good lord. 

JC

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/1/2019 at 2:04 PM, Pratique said:

I don't know if this helps, but even CBP admits on their website that sometimes they get it wrong. So for at least that reason, I agree that it's good to know your rights.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/cbp-search-authority

What human beings even ones from the government are not perfect???  Please, Bicker, don’t tell anyone.  Big Big secret.

jc

On 4/1/2019 at 4:03 PM, Charles4515 said:

I will unlock my phone. I don’t have anything confidential on my phone. I will change any passwords after I get it back. If I was using a phone for something confidential I would not travel over a border with it. I would carry a travel phone.

Think about this a lot chuck?

jc

On 3/30/2019 at 10:26 AM, TravelinGert said:

We got hit on by the dog that sniffs to make sure people don't bring plants and food into the country improperly for a tin of East India Tea Company Earl Grey when we came back from Edinburgh. 

I got hit on by the food dog in Cozumel.  I didn't know what it was looking for.  It alerted.  I panicked.  Mind racing.  "Any food?"  Nope.  It was the apple my husband carried in the beach bag.  The day before.  After insisting we had food in the bag we were sent for a secondary inspection which came up empty handed.

On 3/31/2019 at 1:30 AM, Trickie Dickie said:

Wow 😮 

I actually was pulled out of of the shower and stood in a bathrobe on full public display. You think I wasn’t embarrassed? Your post is heartless to say the least. 

Cruise Critic can be exhausting. Yikes!

I would also have been very embarrassed. You know you had nothing to hide, but the other people didn't. It's easy for someone to say it's no big deal. I would like to see them in the same position and I'll bet they would think otherwise.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2019 at 7:41 AM, travelplus said:

If it were me they would not be leaving until they fix the mess or else I would be asking for the head of the Miami CBP to fix the mess. 

Why didn't security call you in advance to inform you of the search.  I would have finished my shower put on clothes and made the calls before letting anyone in my cabin. 

I have a friend who works for the FLE. He nearly fell out of his chair when I told him that someone thought they could make the CBP clean up their room.

If the CBP did that then they would never find anything. Makes it easier for them to get rid of any contraband.

You seriously don't have a grip on reality.

On 3/31/2019 at 7:47 AM, travelplus said:

I would have asked the pursuer for compensation for the humiliation and for not having a probable cause to search the cabin. I mean they chose your cabin out of a dozen cabins while your packing up. Even at the airport they tell.me before they search me 

On 3/31/2019 at 7:53 AM, travelplus said:

If that's the case the cleaning crew are responsible for this and OP. Royal Caribbean should compensate you if you felt singled out. 45 minutes in a bathrobe is not how I would spend my vacation. 

Talking about living in a fantasy world. Why do you seriously think RC should compensate them? 

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 1

On 3/30/2019 at 12:57 PM, John&LaLa said:

They randomly chose a few B2B passengers. The rest of the departing passengers went through customs with luggage, and the new passengers had to have their luggage scanned ad well.  I don't think you are getting that part.

The "search" for departing and new passengers did not involve removing all items from their suitcases and leaving these items scattered about which is what happened to the OP.

On 3/30/2019 at 1:08 PM, El Abuelo said:

9 officers and a dog does not sound like a random search. That’s a lot of resource for one room.

What size cabin was it that nine officers and a dog could move about in it?

On 3/31/2019 at 7:30 AM, travelplus said:

If it were me I would not have let them n the room until. I was fully dressed. Then I would have called down to the Front Desk and asked to be patched into security and have the lead senior officer come up to the room. 

Before anyone entered I would ask for their ID, if they have probable cause or a, warrant to enter. The reason why they suspect any problem. 

If they must enter I would control my possessions and the search by witnessing it. Take any cellphone images or video. 

If I felt it was unjust I would be on the phone with Miami or email the Executive Office. 

Im sorry you experienced this and yes please do report it to the executive office etc. 

With a 5 or 6 man SWAT team coming through, most people would suddenly feel very vounerable.  It's easy to say "I would.." but hard to execute when you become outnumbered, outgunned, and under scrutiny.   It's a very scary experience for sure.  Actually, going through all this in barefeet and a bathrobe probably adds to the stress of it just by taking you even that much further out of your comfort zone.  

I actually agree with your post, I, personally, would just have a hard time pulling it off.

On 4/1/2019 at 7:37 AM, wgeo said:

Just out of curiosity - what is the point of an officer blocking the peephole? I am guessing that maybe the theory is, if someone saw it was an officer than they could someone hide something?  But that doesn't make sense, as multiple people have said how quickly the officers would open your door even if you didn't open it for them, so again why not at least hold up a badge or something to show you they have the right to enter your room?

I think they were hoping he'd open the door, blunt in one hand, and an endangered animal in the other.  

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, caribill said:

The "search" for departing and new passengers did not involve removing all items from their suitcases and leaving these items scattered about which is what happened to the OP.

What size cabin was it that nine officers and a dog could move about in it?

It would if the dogs got a hit. Better safe than sorry.

It was a JS, but only 4-5 officers in the cabin, rest outside guarding the perps 😉