Inspiration elevator, stuck passengers, kicked off ship

10 minutes ago, repo-cruiser said:

Professionals???? Professionals don't mock passengers. If you watch the other video that I can't post here you will see the crew acting and saying mean things to the passengers. From what I have seen on all videos , I would say the passengers were wrong, but also some of the Carnival crew were wrong and should either be fired or get extra training in manners on how to treat people.

Should drunk and belligerent guests who are believed to have caused equipment to malfunction and damaged property be treated with dulcet tones and "please, Sir, thank you"?   I am sure the crew's terse reactions were after trying unsuccessfully to keep the situation calm but unable to given the guests demeanor.

Edited by StolidCruiser
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi

I think this is more clear when there is an understanding that on board the ship, if there is any emergency situation, passengers are required to take direction from the crew. This is part of what they are explaining when you do the muster drill at the beginning of the cruise. Granted, many people do not pay attention, or are often intoxicated.

It's quite clear that if one was in a similar situation and did not follow orders, that person would be considered a danger to themselves and all around them. This could have been a more critical situation and with poor judgment could well have caused injury. Any company allowing this to go "unpunished" according to their guidelines would be setting themselves up for severe scrutiny if a following incident were to occur and did not have a positive outcome.

Even though we are on vacation and trying to enjoy ourselves, everyone needs to take responsibility for their actions.

When you ply people with copious amounts of alcohol to keep shareholders happy, how do you really expect things to go down?

• Like 1

I am sure there was a security camera in the elevator and Carnival reviewed the video before, during and after the incident before making their decision. Unfortunately they wont be posting it on Facebook just to satisfy everyone's curiosity.

• Like 1

I would hate to be stuck on an elevator for even 5 minutes!

Now, the guys only shared about a minute of their video.  I'm curious why the one Carnival worker appeared to be casually standing there taking video with his own cell phone.  I'm sure they wanted to be sure they had their own video in case a problem came of this.  

3 hours ago, Shamrock73 said:

I am sure there was a security camera in the elevator and Carnival reviewed the video before, during and after the incident before making their decision. Unfortunately they wont be posting it on Facebook just to satisfy everyone's curiosity.

Of course they do.  Ray Rice and Jay Z both have great elevator videos on Youtube.  😂😂😂

• Like 2

On 4/5/2019 at 12:28 PM, fdwt994 said:

Being stuck in an elevator is not an emergency.  It's an inconvenience.  

True, but only if the people stuck can deal with it in a sane manner.  I was stuck on an elevator in the BOA tower, between floors 30 floors up or so, with my (ex to be) and his best friend.  Friend started losing it, screaming, kicking, clawing at the walls & then started talking about taking out the ceiling square & shimmying up the cable up to get out.  Like he thinks he's James Bond / whatever.   Hubby sitting on the floor tuned out, in total denial.  I'm on the phone trying to get someone there before someone gets hurt.    Fun times.  

• Like 2

On 4/5/2019 at 3:28 PM, fdwt994 said:

Being stuck in an elevator is not an emergency.  It's an inconvenience.  If someone starts having chest pains, etc, that's different but I question the validity that someone "fainted."  Did the "fainted" guy go to the ship Doctor afterwards?  Did anyone?   

Prying the doors open without any knowledge of how elevators work, how dangerous it can be (remember the worker who was crushed to death on a Carnival ship back in 2015?) is a recipe for disaster.  

Let the experts do their work, be grownups, and wait it out.  They probably would've been comped something for their ordeal but instead, because they thought they knew better, they are now banned for life.  When it comes to safety, there should be NO compromise.  If the passengers refuse to listen to the engineers, then they should expect that they will be talked to in not so nice words.      

And NO, I'm not a "Carnival Cheerleader."  I just understand how elevators work and how dangerous they can be.  

Great that you are familiar with elevators, I am not. What about the autonomic nervous system, and more specifically the sympathetic nervous system? We can't all just say there is no reason to panic. There are many things that can cause a fight or flight response, and they are not necessarily controllable (without meds) just because others can control them. Watching the video, I can hear some panic in their voice. Also, they were just asking a question at one point, when they were snapped at. 

I am not sure how claustrophobic any of them were. However, if the fight or flight response kicked in, there is nothing someone can do to change the behavior, without changing the circumstances that caused it. Which will then allow the parasympathetic nervous system to kick in. Grown up... or not!

I couldn't care less whether they were banned or not. I just think it is funny reading all the comments about how one should act, like it is ALWAYS a choice, especially in what could be a high stress situation for some people. 

Edited by Mikew0805
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, repo-cruiser said:

Professionals???? Professionals don't mock passengers. If you watch the other video that I can't post here you will see the crew acting and saying mean things to the passengers. From what I have seen on all videos , I would say the passengers were wrong, but also some of the Carnival crew were wrong and should either be fired or get extra training in manners on how to treat people.

While I agree it could have been handled more professionally, we don't know how long their interaction had been going on.
You can see from the short clip that the passengers were insisting they knew better than the maintenance guys ("you need to listen to us!) and were obviously intent on prying the doors open.
If this back and forth of we are going to open the doors from inside, while repeatedly being told not to do it had been going on the whole time, I can definitely see someone telling them that 5 more minutes wouldn't kill anyone.
In other words, we nearly have it and if you quit interfering and do what we ask you to do, we can get this resolved more quickly.
Just be patient.
Maybe some extra training, but I wouldn't say it warrants losing your job.

Also, as many others have expressed, trying to let yourself out by prying the doors open when stuck between floors is a dangerous and foolish thing to do.
We already know what happens when someone is partway out and the elevator decides to move.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mikew0805 said:

I am not sure how claustrophobic any of them were. However, if the fight or flight response kicked in, there is nothing someone can do to change the behavior, without changing the circumstances that caused it. Which will then allow the parasympathetic nervous system to kick in. Grown up... or not!

I couldn't care less whether they were banned or not. I just think it is funny reading all the comments about how one should act, like it is ALWAYS a choice, especially in what could be a high stress situation for some people. 

(Given that all I have to go on is the passenger video...) I would be much more sympathetic if one of the passengers were freaking out, lunging for ceiling tiles, things like that. I didn't see any of that; just know it alls who were not only very rude, but also quite possibly endangering themselves further. 

11 hours ago, Chervil said:

While I agree it could have been handled more professionally, we don't know how long their interaction had been going on.
You can see from the short clip that the passengers were insisting they knew better than the maintenance guys ("you need to listen to us!) and were obviously intent on prying the doors open.
If this back and forth of we are going to open the doors from inside, while repeatedly being told not to do it had been going on the whole time, I can definitely see someone telling them that 5 more minutes wouldn't kill anyone.
In other words, we nearly have it and if you quit interfering and do what we ask you to do, we can get this resolved more quickly.
Just be patient.
Maybe some extra training, but I wouldn't say it warrants losing your job.

Also, as many others have expressed, trying to let yourself out by prying the doors open when stuck between floors is a dangerous and foolish thing to do.
We already know what happens when someone is partway out and the elevator decides to move.

Maintenance crew aren't tipped staff and are immune to kissing guest's butts.

• Like 2

On 4/5/2019 at 4:01 PM, Organized Chaos said:

The problem here is, from where all of us stand, we'll never know the full truth. The guys are going to say things and share video clips that support their story. Carnival is only going to release info. that supports their claims that their property was damaged by passengers. If that's true, then the guys definitely deserve to be banned. But if they didn't cause the elevator to get stuck and if the damage to the door was from trying to escape if no one knew they were there for a long time, then I'd say Carnival isn't treating them fairly. But that's a lot of "if's." There's no telling how it all went down.

It's hard to believe things on social media these days. So many people, who are actually the instigators, will gladly portray themselves as the victims. With that said, if these guys were truly stuck in there for an hour without anyone coming to help them, I would've tried to get out myself, too. Especially if someone inside was experiencing some sort of medical episode, like fainting or worse. Someone in this thread "questions the validity" of the person fainting. People have fainted for lesser things. Those ship elevators can get hot just moving from one floor to another. Imagine being stuck in there for 30 minutes to an hour. It's reasonable to believe someone fainted. Did they really? We don't know, but it's certainly plausible. The big question is, how long were there stuck in there before someone, anyone, was alerted? Whether that be crew or another passenger. If it were me, I'd give it some time, but if I was stuck in there longer and no one knew it, I'd surely look for a way to get myself out.

I don't think it was right for crew members to be recording video. The only reason I'd see that to be necessary is if the guys inside were being a real problem and Carnival wanted to document their actions. If that were the case, it should be an officer recording it, not a couple guys in blue coveralls. And I do think it was right for the one crew member to tell them 5 more minutes wouldn't kill them. That may be true, but it was inconsiderate and unprofessional. People in that situation are going to be stressed, mad, scared, or maybe all of the above. They obviously freaked out a bit when they heard the loud bang, and rightfully so. Yeah, one of the guys cussed at the crew after the "5 minute" comment was made, but in that situation, I'd say a little cussing was justified.

In the end, we don't know the whole story and will more than likely never get it. Both sides want to paint themselves in the best light possible.

Totally agreed. I think there was wrong done on both sides. The stuck passengers should have listed to instruction but at the same time the crew making comments, video taping and mocking the passengers was unprofessional to say the least! I would say it is frankly uncalled for. The crew that took the video, made comments and did the mocking should be fired in my opinion just as it was correct in banning the passengers. Accountability is a two way street. I am going to watch the video again myself as I have an upcoming cruise on the Inspiration in June and I want to make sure to avoid the specific crew members involved in this incident at all costs. I will not tolerate unprofessional behavior by any crew member. 

1 hour ago, bdever said:

Totally agreed. I think there was wrong done on both sides. The stuck passengers should have listed to instruction but at the same time the crew making comments, video taping and mocking the passengers was unprofessional to say the least! I would say it is frankly uncalled for. The crew that took the video, made comments and did the mocking should be fired in my opinion just as it was correct in banning the passengers. Accountability is a two way street. I am going to watch the video again myself as I have an upcoming cruise on the Inspiration in June and I want to make sure to avoid the specific crew members involved in this incident at all costs. I will not tolerate unprofessional behavior by any crew member. 

Their behavior was not unprofessional.  They were recording as directed by their Supervisor who was present along with Ship Officers.  Ships are not democracies and they are not interested in guest's "tolerates". 

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 4:01 PM, Organized Chaos said:

I don't think it was right for crew members to be recording video. The only reason I'd see that to be necessary is if the guys inside were being a real problem and Carnival wanted to document their actions. If that were the case, it should be an officer recording it, not a couple guys in blue coveralls. 

I saw plenty of crew in white uniforms... clearly they were documenting this issue... and for a reason.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bdever said:

Totally agreed. I think there was wrong done on both sides. 

Baloney.  

The troublemakers in question even bothered to add background music to their video.  They put plenty of effort into trying to gain sympathy.  They are troublemakers even after the cruise ended. 

It's like speeding down the highway and getting pulled over, and then yelling at the officer for catching you speeding... like somehow it's the officer's fault

Edited by VentureMan_2000
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

I saw plenty of crew in white uniforms... clearly they were documenting this issue... and for a reason.

I didn't say there weren't any officers present. The only two crew members who I saw recording with their phones were maintenance workers in blue coveralls. They were leaning over from the sidelines, appearing to be recording for their own amusement. That's wrong, in my opinion. I don't care how the guests are acting, the crew shouldn't be recording situations, especially urgent or emergency situations, for their own amusement. If Carnival wanted to document the behavior of those guys, then I think it should've been done by officers. Maybe some of them were, we obviously don't know the whole story.

And in regards to your "baloney" comment to the other user, there was wrong done on both sides. I already mentioned crew recording the trapped passengers for their own amusement. They're there to do a job, and taking video of passengers for their own fun isn't part of that job. Also, the one crew member shouldn't have said they're not going to die by waiting another 5 minutes. That was unprofessional, despite how the guys in the elevator might've been acting.

Did anybody else notice the photo of the inside of the elevator door in the DailyMail.com article?  It shows huge scratches, dents, and what appears to be a liquid splashed on the door.  

Edited by ZoeyVictoria
  • Like 1

On 4/6/2019 at 10:26 AM, 3redheads said:

Banning the passengers seems harsh.  I would hope it wasn't in retaliation for them filming their experience.

The question is what happened when it wasn't being filmed?  We will never know.  I read the facebook post and people were recommending the passengers hire a lawyer.  If I felt I was being treated unfairly and poorly, I would find another cruise line to sail.  I do wonder if the ban would affect other lines owned by the same company.

Lesson to be learned is if they are actively working to fix the problem, don't try to pry the doors open.

So it is harsh for them to be banned but your recommendation is even if true you think they should find another cruise line. Seems slightly one sided.....

1 minute ago, jimbo5544 said:

So it is harsh for them to be banned but your recommendation is even if true you think they should find another cruise line. Seems slightly one sided.....

If a cruise line banned me and I feel it is unwarranted, I would not want to sail on them again.  

• Like 1

Just now, 3redheads said:

If a cruise line banned me and I feel it is unwarranted, I would not want to sail on them again.  

Lol, so you would agree with them on that point then, sounds like a win win scenario