Internet (MedallionNet) pricing

lstone19

Questions about Internet pricing on the ships with the upgrade MediallionNet tends to get spread out in multiple topics, particularly ship-specific ones, and I don't think there's currently a good generic one discussing what pricing is. Princess likes to keep it hidden - we see a pre-cruise price that they claim is 50% off but from what I've read, that actually could be more than Plat/Elites could pay on-board. 

I've seen people say the on-board price is $9.99/day and that Plat/Elites get 25% off that. But that's been in the context (at least where I've seen it) of 7 night cruises - don't know if it's different on longer cruises.

For myself, I have two upcoming cruises:

19-night (Coral 9/29): Current personalizer price is $129.99 but presumed Plat/Elite price ($9.90 * 18 * 75%) would be more - $142

10-night (Regal 10/31): Current personalizer price is $69.99 but presumed Plat/Elite price ($9.99 * 10 * 75% would be less - $75

So one appears to be more on-board while the other appears to be less.

Anyway, let's see confirmed on-board prices (including any Plat/Elite discounts) for cruises of different lengths.

• Like 2

Thru my Personalizer, just paid $129.99 for 28nt Feb 2020 on Emerald.  I think that is the pre-purchase price for 15-30nt sailings.

I believe I will lose my plat/elite minutes but that's ok, as this is long trip with many sea days

Any ship that has been upgraded to Ocean Medallion (boarding pass), and medallion net; will offer unlimited pricing of $59.99 or $69.99.  Any ship that has not yet been upgraded to Ocean Medallion would be $9.99 per day unless you have free elite minutes. So the Coral does not have medallion net (the new blazing fast wifi; where you can stream netflix); and the Regal and Royal; which both have medallion net;   as does the Caribbean Princess (first ship to be ocean ready, with medallion net).  Hope this answers your questions

13 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Any ship that has been upgraded to Ocean Medallion (boarding pass), and medallion net; will offer unlimited pricing of $59.99 or $69.99.  Any ship that has not yet been upgraded to Ocean Medallion would be $9.99 per day unless you have free elite minutes. So the Coral does not have medallion net (the new blazing fast wifi; where you can stream netflix); and the Regal and Royal; which both have medallion net;   as does the Caribbean Princess (first ship to be ocean ready, with medallion net).  Hope this answers your questions

The Coral does have medallion net. $59.99 for our seven day cruise. No discount.

https://www.princess.com/news/news_releases/2019/03/Princess-Cruises-Shares-Dates-For-Six-Ships-Adding-MedallionNet-the-Best-Wi-Fi-at-Sea-in-2019.html

Edited by bemis12
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Not entirely accurate.  There are ships wired for MedallionNet (for which that wifi is available on the Personalizer) that do not and will not have the OM also active.  On the other hand, if a ship is OM, MedallionNet is installed and active.

Recently off the Ruby ... no OM but had MedallionNet.  For Emerald Feb 2020 ... no OM but we will have MedallionNet.  And we are being offered unlimited hi-speed for the Emerald sailing.

Edited by pms4104

I was confused on this pricing as well.  On threads prior to our cruise on the Regal a couple of weeks ago, the online price to prepurchase was $59.99, but people were posting that it was $59.99 onboard with elite getting a discount, so the price was closer to $49.99.

I had prepaid, but didn't change because I wasn't sure what was accurate.  When I got onboard and had an issue and went down to the Internet Cafe to get it fixed, I asked, and the girl that tried to help me had no idea what I was talking about, no idea about pricing of any kind.  So I didn't worry about it, but not sure if I could have saved $10 or not.

I called recently for my 16 day Greenland cruise on the CB because pre-purchase internet isn't in our personalizer yet.  I was told that the price on board would be $149.00, and platinum/elites would get 25% off for an on board price of $112.50.  This package discount would be available for only the first 1-2 days of the cruise. IRC, after that it is $9.99/day.

For my 16 day S. America cruise on the Coral, Medallion net does show in our personalizer, and the pre-purchase price is $129.  Plat/Elite on board would again be $112.50, so we are better off waiting until we board. 

I don't know the prices for less than 16 or more than 30 days, but this is the answer I got for 16-30 day pricing.  I believe the "save over 50%" claim comes from buying it by the day on board for a longer cruise.  If you wait until after the first couple days of your cruise and pay $9.99/day for a 30 day cruise, for example, paying $129 pre-cruise is saving over 50%.

Summarizing what we have so far, at least for MedallionNet ships, it appears advance purchase packages are priced by a range of number of nights. Also, there are on-board prices that are slightly higher but are discounted 25% for Platinums and Elites. And after that it's $9.99/day ($7.49/day for P/E?). So what we have (let's try to fill this in with more prices and better defining the ranges of number of nights):

Nights    Advance Price   On-board Price

7         $59.99

10        $69.99

15-30     $129.99         $149.99

It sounds like P/E get a 25% discount off the on-board price but not off the advance price. I will be on Ruby Princess for the 1-night Vancouver to Seattle on 5/10. I will see what I can find out from the Internet manager about on-board pricing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flamomo said:

Just curious ..... With the MedallionNet, will Elites and Platinum passengers still get a block of free minutes, or will that become a perk of the past?

You still get the free minutes, but if you purchase the unlimited plan, you lose them, and really don't need them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lstone19 said:

It sounds like P/E get a 25% discount off the on-board price but not off the advance price. I will be on Ruby Princess for the 1-night Vancouver to Seattle on 5/10. I will see what I can find out from the Internet manager about on-board pricing.

Yes, when I called I was told that the 25% off is from the on board price, no the pre-cruise price.

• 3 months later...
On 4/17/2019 at 6:10 AM, pompeii said:

I called recently for my 16 day Greenland cruise on the CB because pre-purchase internet isn't in our personalizer yet.  I was told that the price on board would be $149.00, and platinum/elites would get 25% off for an on board price of $112.50.  This package discount would be available for only the first 1-2 days of the cruise. IRC, after that it is $9.99/day.

For my 16 day S. America cruise on the Coral, Medallion net does show in our personalizer, and the pre-purchase price is $129.  Plat/Elite on board would again be $112.50, so we are better off waiting until we board. 

I don't know the prices for less than 16 or more than 30 days, but this is the answer I got for 16-30 day pricing.  I believe the "save over 50%" claim comes from buying it by the day on board for a longer cruise.  If you wait until after the first couple days of your cruise and pay $9.99/day for a 30 day cruise, for example, paying $129 pre-cruise is saving over 50%.

@pompeii - I'm with you heading out on Monday (wohooo!), and am still a bit confused.  I'm not Plat/Elite, so does that mean that I am better off with the pre-board price? or are there discounts for us low-rung folks upon boarding?

3 hours ago, mjliss said:

@pompeii - I'm with you heading out on Monday (wohooo!), and am still a bit confused.  I'm not Plat/Elite, so does that mean that I am better off with the pre-board price? or are there discounts for us low-rung folks upon boarding?

I haven't been on a medallion net ship yet, but from what I've read here on CC, if you aren't platinum or elite with free minutes to trade for a discount on a package, then there isn't an additional discount once on board.   I'm not sure if the price is the same or higher than pre-board so I don't know if you're better off buying ahead or waiting.  Can't wait 'til Monday, though - see you on board!

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/17/2019 at 6:58 AM, LessWorkMoreTravel said:

Someone just off the Royal reported a special package of 4 devices for $139 (7 night cruise).  It was offered on-board only and he's not sure if it will be for all cruises in the future or not.  

My personalizer for the Crown Princess 20 day cruise in January 2020 is quoting $14.99/day unlimited for 4 devices (based on 50% off). Still have no idea if our Platinum status would result in a lower rate. Crown is Ocean Medallion with Medallion Net.

On 8/15/2019 at 1:36 AM, mjliss said:

On 8/15/2019 at 5:38 AM, pompeii said:

I haven't been on a medallion net ship yet, but from what I've read here on CC, if you aren't platinum or elite with free minutes to trade for a discount on a package, then there isn't an additional discount once on board.   I'm not sure if the price is the same or higher than pre-board so I don't know if you're better off buying ahead or waiting.  Can't wait 'til Monday, though - see you on board!

1 hour ago, smshiver said:

My personalizer for the Crown Princess 20 day cruise in January 2020 is quoting $14.99/day unlimited for 4 devices (based on 50% off). Still have no idea if our Platinum status would result in a lower rate. Crown is Ocean Medallion with Medallion Net.

Hi, All.

The "rule of thumb" for Medallion Net internet (unlimited plans) is to book pre-cruise in the Personalizer if you do NOT have Platinum/Elite status.  This is because that price is better than the on board price, but has no Platinum/Elite discount.  If you ARE Platinum/Elite, then wait to book on board (embarkation day offer) because you will receive a 25% discount in lieu of your old free minutes benefit.  That discount is off the regular price to non-status folks (but that regular price is higher than what was offered in the Personalizer).  Your bottom line as a Platinum/Elite is less than it would be if you had booked pre-cruise, but it is certainly not 25% of that lower pre-cruise price - it is 25% the now-higher price on board. 

Here is my table of Princess pricing for the single-device plan (I don't do $0.95/$0.99 crap, so these numbers all rounded to nearest $):

CRUISE LENGTH PRE_CRUISE PERSONALIZER ON BOARD PRICE (Day 1)
(nights) List Price Member Discount On Board Price Member Discount Price
<7 $45.00 n/a $55.00 $41.25
7 $60.00 n/a $70.00 $52.50
8 - 10 $70.00 n/a $75.00 $56.25
11 - 12 $75.00 n/a $90.00 $67.50
14 $100.00 n/a $120.00 $90.00
15 - 30 $130.00 n/a $150.00 $112.50
31+ $180.00 n/a $200.00 $150.00
Edited by steelers36
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, smshiver said:

I have seen a similar report on another thread where the poster is booked on what is really a B2B cruise (it was 2x 14-nights for a 28-night cruise).  He was also mentioning/complaining that he only had an offer for a 4-device plan in his Personalizer and where was the single device offer. 

My theory is that Princess doesn't have a 1-device offer in Personalizer because they did not set up a single-rate plan for entire length of a combined B2B voyage.  OTOH, the 4-device plan is priced by the day (for some unknown reason), so they can show that in Personalizer for a combined voyage.  

You are being offered a 4-device plan for $300 for the entire trip (or $150 for each 10-night half of your voyage).

You could call Princess and inquire.  Suffice to say, there will be a 1-device plan.  Since you are Platinum, you don't want to be booking an internet package pre-cruise.  If you look at my chart above, it turns out that the 1-device on-board price for 10-nights is $75 and exactly double at $150 for a 20-night cruise.  So, it doesn't matter which way you look at it.  Similarly, your discount price is 2x $56.25 or $112.50 for the entire cruise.  The only people who should really be calling Princess and inquiring are the non-status cruisers as they can push Princess for a $130 pre-cruise reservation based on 20-nights, instead of 2x $70.  More important, they would want to secure a pre-cruise reservation in order to save money.  I am not sure what Princess will do in this situation as we are Platinum & Elite ourselves and I have not checked what happened with the other poster I mentioned with the 28-nighter (2 x 14 as B2B).

I have not specifically inquired or verified this, but IMO, we should get a discount on the 4-device package for our benefit.  IDK what that might be.  Perhaps Princess will say that it is already heavily discounted and the member benefit is for the single device plan.  Their prerogative.  While I just positioned for a further discount, a 2-person plan will cost you $225 with discount and you can book a single 4-device plan for $300.  IF (big IF) you got 25% off the 4-device plan, it would come to $225 and equal the cost of TWO single device plans).  Note that TWO single device plans cost $300 at on board price before discount.

One of these days, I will inquire about 4-device discount.  Or perhaps one or two will post here about that.

Hope I didn't give you a headache with all the numbers!!

7 hours ago, steelers36 said:

Here is my table of Princess pricing for the single-device plan (I don't do $0.95/$0.99 crap, so these numbers all rounded to nearest $):

CRUISE LENGTH PRE_CRUISE PERSONALIZER ON BOARD PRICE (Day 1)
(nights) List Price Member Discount On Board Price Member Discount Price
<7 $45.00 n/a $55.00 $41.25
7 $60.00 n/a $70.00 $52.50
8 - 10 $70.00 n/a $75.00 $56.25
11 - 12 $75.00 n/a $90.00 $67.50
14 $100.00 n/a $120.00 $90.00
15 - 30 $130.00 n/a $150.00 $112.50
31+ $180.00 n/a $200.00 $150.00

Where did you get these prices? A rate sheet was posted a few months ago dated April 2019 (I saw the same thing on Ruby Princess in May) and is slightly different. For your On Board Price column, it has:

Nights - Price

1 - $20

2 - $30

3 - $45

4 - $60

5 - $65

6 - $66

7 - $70

8 - $75

9 - $80

10 - $85

11 - $90

12 - $100

13 - $110

14 - $120

15-30 - $150

31+ - $200

It's the same for 14 days or more but goes by the day for less than 14.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, lstone19 said:

Where did you get these prices? A rate sheet was posted a few months ago dated April 2019 (I saw the same thing on Ruby Princess in May) and is slightly different. For your On Board Price column, it has:

Nights - Price

1 - $20

2 - $30

3 - $45

4 - $60

5 - $65

6 - $66

7 - $70

8 - $75

9 - $80

10 - $85

11 - $90

12 - $100

13 - $110

14 - $120

15-30 - $150

31+ - $200

It's the same for 14 days or more but goes by the day for less than 14.

Princess was the source.  They did not have pricing for short cruises as I don't know that any Medallion Net ship had a short cruise originally.  I gather there is some adjustment in price for a 5 nighter.

I have not heard nor seen of that fine a breakdown on all lengths of cruises under 14 nights.  Not saying it isn't possible, but Princess HQ has the chart I posted.  It could be that on board there is something different in play, although your post is the first I am hearing of it.  Otherwise, the price list I posted also correlates with other posters mentioning the pricing on their cruises.

Anyone else seen the above price plan on a ship?  Seems quite possible.

12 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

Princess was the source.  They did not have pricing for short cruises as I don't know that any Medallion Net ship had a short cruise originally.  I gather there is some adjustment in price for a 5 nighter.

I have not heard nor seen of that fine a breakdown on all lengths of cruises under 14 nights.  Not saying it isn't possible, but Princess HQ has the chart I posted.  It could be that on board there is something different in play, although your post is the first I am hearing of it.  Otherwise, the price list I posted also correlates with other posters mentioning the pricing on their cruises.

Anyone else seen the above price plan on a ship?  Seems quite possible.

See post #57 in https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2632792-medallionnet-voyage-package/page/3/

I am fairly certain this is the same price sheet the Internet Manager showed me on Ruby Princess in May (I was on the one-night to Seattle so didn't actually purchase - my minutes were more than adequate for my needs that night).