JUST FOR FUN...working on the ship

sgttami

As someone who has experience with this - working as a gift shop girl and then manager on CCL Mardi Gras, Carnivale and Frestivale for 2 years back in the 80's and as a Purser (combination guest services, payroll master and officer over customs & immigration ) for 4 years on another cruise line - I can tell you that one of the easiest jobs is working in the gift shops.  You don't work super crazy hours and you're off in every port.  It was fabulous. 

Now the Pursers' office was a "whole other thing" - made more money but it was definitely a JOB!!  Your turn at the front desk dealing with passengers' issues was the worst 4 hour shift imaginable.  The money was very good though and being an officer on a ship has many advantages.

My daughter did a 6 month contract on the Glory a couple of years ago as an entertainment host.  She's super outgoing and enjoyed it - but, the hours can be horrendous and always having to be "on" is tiring.  Some passengers can really impact the enjoyment.

• Like 2

30 years in the IT field so I'd like to do IT on the ship. However I think working in guest services would be fun so I can listen to the people cry and complain about everything. Then again I don't have that filter that tells me to shut up so I'd likely be fired after day 1 for telling people exactly where they can take their complaints. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Oh if we are going after wants, I'd probably be a fitness instructor or coordinate group runs off the ship. (I've always thought that would be cool.) But if it was qualified, it'd be IT.

27 minutes ago, Roscoe13 said:

Sign language interpreter...

On our Horizon cruise last month, there was a very large group of deaf and blind travelors, and many many sign language interpreters.   It was fascinating to watch them...especially when they interpreted the songs on Lido.    

15 hours ago, sgttami said:

You just got a job on a Carnival ship based on your area of expertise.

Where would you be working?

😍😄 I'd love to be a comedy headliner!

Based on my area of expertise, I would be paying their health insurance claims  LOL.

However, I have always wanted to be a bartender...that would be fun!!

I agree with Karen.  If I was working at the "stop" was at St. Maarten, that would be my day OFF! 🙂 It had been over 20 years ago since I had been to St. Kitts and St. Maarten, and just visited them with my favorite island, St. Lucia.  What a "change" I seen in St. Kitts, and St. Maarten. 🙂