Icon of the Seas Blocks Are In The House!

2 hours ago, tx121 said:

Seems like Royal is targeting the family demographic here with the Icon class. Since there are so many Oasis class ships in the fleet now and since the Wonder didn’t go to Asia, I think they should “adultify” a Oasis class ship and have a more luxury / adult only ship. The Allure would be perfect since it hasn’t been amplified yet and doesn’t have the hideous Ultimate Abyss slide in the back yet. This could really compete and grab some of the Virgin Voyages crowd. 

If one watches carefully; there is a quite resilient market for what I can call "affordable classic cruising" (ACC). And by ACC, I'm not talking Cunard like experience. I'm talking about megaship priced X/Princess-lite like experience for the mainstream. For now; there are lots of older ships running elsewhere, but sooner rather than later; ACC will be finished and all that will remain will be older X ships, Princess and P&O to an extent. I believe they could fill Allure as an X-lite ship, branded as Golden Age Royal Caribbean, for the mainstream would be a huge success. Retrofit it accordingly and go. Surely I understand the young family level as being the baseline mainstream, though there is a place for the ones that don't want that experience level, though don't want a too upscale one as well. I would be in for said X-lite Allure!...

Virgin is a niche market for affluent young adults, so that's not the market I would brand Allure X-lite edition: I would brand it over the 50+ crowd out there that wants ACC.

Edited by Nunagoras
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Did I miss it?  Is there a solarium or adults only pool?  

The "AquaDome" looks like it serves as a Solarium-esque lounge area during the day, and there's an adults-only area on deck 17 called "Cloud 17" that has its own pool.

Edited by jbaysingar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi, 

This ship doesn't have a lot of appeal to me, but I think it will be popular with families. In terms of new design features, I like the AquaDome and the fact that large windows are being added to the Royal Promenade. Also, some of the new pool areas (with the infinity pools) look nice. I may eventually try this ship during the off-season.

Chuck

• Like 2

If you go back about 40 pages, you will see someone had a photo of a very similar sphere in Japan I think.   It is a 360 degree cinema experience, like IMAX on steroids.  And probably does more.  Maybe it lets you feel like you are in the ocean?  Not just stairs... it closes up.

4 hours ago, Cruiscs said:

Is it important to have an upscaled pooldeck when on vacation? The inside of the ship (minus boardwalk) look very nice and stylish. 

Well I do like a somewhat upscale pool deck, meaning pretty and relaxing with a touch of luxury (not the taj mahal grandeur of course, but I do like the solarium vibe).  I still want fun and tropical, but the plastic look and pastel colors are just not my cup of tea.  The photos I have seen so far of this ship remind me of the Disney value resorts like Pop Century.  Very cute and fun but very colorful and geared towards very little kids (been there, done that).  I was hoping it would look more like the Disney Moderate/Deluxe resorts, still geared towards kids and families, but still pretty and with a tad more upscale feel.  Of course this is all pure speculation, which is half the fun with a new ship coming out.  Maybe I will love it.  I do think I will like the new layout, so I am excited for that.  I don't think I have seen photos of the interior yet, so I am glad to  hear you think they are nice and stylish.  I am sure when I board the ship and see the total package I will be in awe and love it.  

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, topanga49er said:

If you go back about 40 pages, you will see someone had a photo of a very similar sphere in Japan I think.   It is a 360 degree cinema experience, like IMAX on steroids.  And probably does more.  Maybe it lets you feel like you are in the ocean?  Not just stairs... it closes up.

yes the guessing on the sphere was a lot over the last few months.  I guess if it is just for steps then the guessing was all wrong and oh well.  would have been neat to have a theatre or something.

4 hours ago, Nunagoras said:

So its geared toward young families in a big way, its why looks like Sesame Street on certain levels. Ok, just hope the product planners go their future demographic correct or this will be in dry dock for a refurb faster than expected.

I remember back in the day when people were saying things like this about Oasis, I just laughed then.  Now I laugh harder.  This ship will be one of their biggest sellers.  No doubt.  But for the rest of you, there are always Grandeur and Vision and the old Voyager class...something for everyone.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

I remember back in the day when people were saying things like this about Oasis, I just laughed then.  Now I laugh harder.  This ship will be one of their biggest sellers.  No doubt.  But for the rest of you, there are always Grandeur and Vision and the old Voyager class...something for everyone.

I really just don't understand the shock at the Icon reveal. It has been abundantly clear since ~2016 when they put 3 huge waterslides on the aft end of Liberty OTS that this was the direction Royal was heading, particularly with the pool deck and waterslides. And it's really not all that different than the direction they established in 1999 with the launch of the Voyager Class. The "wow" has definitely been turned up in recent years, but it all comes back to the same idea that they are a family friendly cruise line. Did the original rock wall receive this much hate?

Am I in love with the bright colors and huge waterpark? No, and that's coming from a designer. But I absolutely expected this and it fits the brand. Do some of you not think Royal's designers know what they're doing? I promise you their teams have done enough market research to figure out what is and isn't successful. Take the Lime and Coconut for example. They added the first one to Navigator in 2019, then Oasis, then Odyssey and Wonder, and now they've amped it up on Icon. They didn't do that just for the heck of it.

Am I surprised the Diamond Lounge is so small? Nope. Checking out any recent ship renovation would've told you this. Or observing the number of hands that go up on a generic Caribbean cruise when the CD asks who is a first time cruiser.

Luckily, there are plenty of other ships for those not interested in Icon. I might even prefer Oasis or Quantum Class, but I'm definitely not against going on Icon. I wouldn't use half of the new features, but there's plenty of other reasons I like Royal.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, StephPS79 said:

I think the ship is beautiful!  However, people seem to expect a Cunard experience at a Royal Caribbean price.

What’s this idea you have that Royal is moderately priced? Anything from an ocean balcony cabin and up has increased significantly post Covid. I’m okay to pay those prices, but not necessarily if it looks like one big theme park.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TheHawk1 said:

it looks like one big theme park.

I love theme parks....fun fun fun.  I tried to resist the new CoCo Cay as compared with the little desert island it used to be, but now I'm a big fan.  Paradigm changes nothing more.  I'm gonna love her.

• Like 1

They have been busy with installing the glass panels to the AquaDome, still missing some but not much. Also BOTH funnels were installed today. It was sunset when I took the third photo, so the colors are a bit weird.

2022-10-20 17-30-34-IMG_7029.jpg

200194523_2022-10-2017-34-00-DJI_0956-HDR.thumb.jpg.8c08858cd74183126193ddafc0bf8237.jpg2022-10-20 18-03-44-DJI_0090-HDR.jpg

2022-10-20 19-36-53-IMG_7175-HDR.jpg

Edited by Eremita85
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, OfTheSeasCruiser said:

I really just don't understand the shock at the Icon reveal. It has been abundantly clear since ~2016 when they put 3 huge waterslides on the aft end of Liberty OTS that this was the direction Royal was heading, particularly with the pool deck and waterslides. And it's really not all that different than the direction they established in 1999 with the launch of the Voyager Class. The "wow" has definitely been turned up in recent years, but it all comes back to the same idea that they are a family friendly cruise line. Did the original rock wall receive this much hate?

Am I in love with the bright colors and huge waterpark? No, and that's coming from a designer. But I absolutely expected this and it fits the brand. Do some of you not think Royal's designers know what they're doing? I promise you their teams have done enough market research to figure out what is and isn't successful. Take the Lime and Coconut for example. They added the first one to Navigator in 2019, then Oasis, then Odyssey and Wonder, and now they've amped it up on Icon. They didn't do that just for the heck of it.

Am I surprised the Diamond Lounge is so small? Nope. Checking out any recent ship renovation would've told you this. Or observing the number of hands that go up on a generic Caribbean cruise when the CD asks who is a first time cruiser.

Luckily, there are plenty of other ships for those not interested in Icon. I might even prefer Oasis or Quantum Class, but I'm definitely not against going on Icon. I wouldn't use half of the new features, but there's plenty of other reasons I like Royal.

Really good post. No doubt in my mind that RCI’s leadership knows what they are doing. Icon perfectly matches the demographics they are trying to attract. I enjoy the atmosphere on RCI ships, which is why I cruise with them the most.  When I want a more relaxed and pampered experience, I go on Celebrity, which I do a few times a year. For now this combination works well for me, although I could see in the future as I get older cruising more often on Celebrity. 

• Like 2

Some things I like about the Icon (and my feelings are overwhelmingly positive):

- The new neighbourhood layout. I think the design will really spread out the crowds, particularly on sea days, which hopefully means finding lounges/spots in pools will hopefully be a lot easier.

- The Waterpark - wow, this is by far the most impressive waterpark at sea, and I do love waterslides so I can see myself making a lot of use of these. 

- The Hideaway pool. It looks incredible, a very instagram worthy shot, and a decent sized pool as well. 

- Surfside is definitely an improvement compared to the boardwalk. Hopefully that keeps most of the kids away from the top pool deck. 🤪

- The amount of focus on pools/water. I feel like bigger cruise ships have been moving away from that in favour of other activities, however on a cruise in the carribean I want to be lounging by the pool, getting wet etc.

- The Swim Up bar will be a treat

Some things I'm not sure about: 

- I do love having an adults only outdoor deck, however I don't see why the pool couldn't be a little bit bigger and why there is only one hot hub

- I was hoping the Aquatheatre would be able to transform in the day to be an adults only indoor pool. Seems like an oversight in the design. 

- While I love the additional sea views/glass in the promenade area, I don't understand why its being blocked by the Pearl, which at the moment just seems like a glorified staircase/art installation 

- No proper promenade deck that we've seen on the new Norwegian and Carnival ships.

• Like 1

Captain Kirk: "Scotty, I need more"

Scotty: "That is all I can give Cap'n, the ship won't be able to take it"

Captain Kirk: "Damn it Scotty, We need 1 more"

Scotty: "Ok, 1 more slide but 6 is the max"

Captain Kirk: "Scotty, Lets discuss pools, we don't have enough"...

The walk through renderings of the ship are the best yet to show detail's of something new  let alone a new cruise ship. RCL has set that bar really high going forward for others IMHO.

First impression of the ship is that it's over the top colourfully loud. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CroNich said:

Some things I like about the Icon (and my feelings are overwhelmingly positive):

- The new neighbourhood layout. I think the design will really spread out the crowds, particularly on sea days, which hopefully means finding lounges/spots in pools will hopefully be a lot easier.

- The Waterpark - wow, this is by far the most impressive waterpark at sea, and I do love waterslides so I can see myself making a lot of use of these. 

- The Hideaway pool. It looks incredible, a very instagram worthy shot, and a decent sized pool as well. 

- Surfside is definitely an improvement compared to the boardwalk. Hopefully that keeps most of the kids away from the top pool deck. 🤪

- The amount of focus on pools/water. I feel like bigger cruise ships have been moving away from that in favour of other activities, however on a cruise in the carribean I want to be lounging by the pool, getting wet etc.

- The Swim Up bar will be a treat

Some things I'm not sure about: 

- I do love having an adults only outdoor deck, however I don't see why the pool couldn't be a little bit bigger and why there is only one hot hub

- I was hoping the Aquatheatre would be able to transform in the day to be an adults only indoor pool. Seems like an oversight in the design. 

- While I love the additional sea views/glass in the promenade area, I don't understand why its being blocked by the Pearl, which at the moment just seems like a glorified staircase/art installation 

- No proper promenade deck that we've seen on the new Norwegian and Carnival ships.

They always need things to add to the sister ships.