Ripped off on HAL travel insurance

CFALLC

First, I want to thank each person that has replied or responded to my post.  I just joined Cruise Critic and I never expected 26 replies to one posting.  For those who ask If I am a one post wonder,  the answer is no.  With this type of support (and criticism and guidance) I will be posting any future questions or concerns.

To those who ask why I did not turn the medical bill into my own health insurance, Medicare covers only medical treatment received within the USA.  Once you are in international waters, or in a foreign country, Medicare does not apply.

To those who said I should have read the policy, that is good advice but neither the travel agent nor HAL sent me a policy.  I booked the cruise less than 3 months before the departure, and being busy in the time before the cruise,  I did not think to pursue a copy of the policy.  The travel agent had recommended the HAL insurance "in case you or your wife gets sick"  and I bought it on the travel agent recommendation.  The travel agent went defunct before HAL denied the coverage.  My compliant is HAL did not honor their agent's commitment.  
On my next cruise I will know better.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, CFALLC said:

The travel agent had recommended the HAL insurance "in case you or your wife gets sick"  and I bought it on the travel agent recommendation.  ... My compliant is HAL did not honor their agent's commitment.  

And if you or your wife had gotten sick after final payment but before the cruise began and you had to cancel, the coverage you bought would have given back 80% of what you had paid to HAL.  I don't think your agent intentionally misled you, or promised what you think s/he  promised. And, as Copper 10-8 posted, the travel agent is YOUR agent, not HAL's.  

As someone suggested above, check the terms and conditions of the credit card you used to pay for the cruise, as they might cover your treatment.  Good luck. 

Edited by catl331

24 minutes ago, CFALLC said:

The travel agent had recommended the HAL insurance "in case you or your wife gets sick"  and I bought it on the travel agent recommendation. 

It's quite likely that a Travel Agent doesn't not know the specifics of HAL's insurance and just figured that it covered both cancellations and medical.

It's actually a better idea to use a third party insurance.  Many of us use one of several trip insurance comparison sites, like https://www.insuremytrip.com another one is  https://www.squaremouth.com

You put in the parameters of what you want covered and they will search out and give you several different companies policies for you to chose between.  And you get to read the actual policy before you purchase.  It's typically cheaper and better coverage than you get with any cruise line's insurance.

Edited by Shmoo here

Two things to remember:

You need to buy out of country medical from someone who knows and understands the product that they are selling.   Many are more interested in the commission adders or getting you off the phone, out of the office, so that they can move on to the next client/customer.

You need to understand exactly what you are buying by at least doing a little research and knowing the basic questions that you want answered.   It is not rocket science.

The fastest way to feel 'ripped off' is by buying a product that you do not understand from someone who does not know what they are selling.   This will usually end up with a large expectation gap...or worse.

1 hour ago, CFALLC said:

My compliant is HAL did not honor their agent's commitment. 

You decide to buy a house on the edge of a river with gorgeous views and a dock for your boat. Your insurance agent sells you a policy telling you that you'll be covered for damages should something happen, but you don't bother to read the policy before or after purchasing it. The next spring, the river overflows its banks and your basement and first floor are flooded. Oops, the policy that your agent recommended and that you purchased doesn't in fact cover water damage and the insurance company won't reimburse you for the cost of repairs. In this case, as in yours, the insurance company has no liability for your loss. What the travel or insurance agent might have told you, or what you understood them to say, is rather a moot point: the wording of your insurance policies is all that counts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CFALLC said:

First, I want to thank each person that has replied or responded to my post.  I just joined Cruise Critic and I never expected 26 replies to one posting.  For those who ask If I am a one post wonder,  the answer is no.  With this type of support (and criticism and guidance) I will be posting any future questions or concerns.

To those who ask why I did not turn the medical bill into my own health insurance, Medicare covers only medical treatment received within the USA.  Once you are in international waters, or in a foreign country, Medicare does not apply.

To those who said I should have read the policy, that is good advice but neither the travel agent nor HAL sent me a policy.  I booked the cruise less than 3 months before the departure, and being busy in the time before the cruise,  I did not think to pursue a copy of the policy.  The travel agent had recommended the HAL insurance "in case you or your wife gets sick"  and I bought it on the travel agent recommendation.  The travel agent went defunct before HAL denied the coverage.  My compliant is HAL did not honor their agent's commitment.  

I, for one, thank you for posting your experience.  I usually travel with other lines but have booked a HAL cruise for next year and would have never realized the standard coverage didn't include any medical or emergency evacuation costs ... so you probably just saved me some money.   I've been more attentive to these in the past but got complacent over time.  Now, I will go back to reading each and every line of any policy I purchase.  I appreciate your reminder but also am sorry to learn you got stuck paying for a policy that didn't meet your needs.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

It's actually a better idea to use a third party insurance.  Many of us use one of several trip insurance comparison sites, like https://www.insuremytrip.com another one is  https://www.squaremouth.com

You put in the parameters of what you want covered and they will search out and give you several different companies policies for you to chose between.  And you get to read the actual policy before you purchase.  It's typically cheaper and better coverage than you get with any cruise line's insurance.

I have always found that insurance purchased through  Insuremytrip.com is less expensive than HAL and actually covers the important stuff like medical evacuation.

ins.PNG

Edited by I like vacation

12 hours ago, CFALLC said:

We thank you for returning to this post and clarifying a few things.  Often people post a complaint and never return.

A few points - first, you cannot expect HAL to honor what a TA tells you as they have no control over that.  If you had booked through HAL (either online or a HAL personal cruise consultant), that would be a different story and HAL should honor that.

Second, if you have Medicare Supplement insurance, you may be covered for issues aboard (I know mine does, but with some limit), so check this out.  

Third, when the TA said "in case you or your wife gets sick", he/she may have been referring to IF you get sick PRIOR to sailing, (which the insurance should cover).  Often times verbal communication is misunderstood by one or both parties, so a written confirmation is always the best.

Anyway, WELCOME to the Cruise Critic community!!  Over the years I have found tons of great, helpful information here and highly recommend it to anyone who cruises.  

DaveOKC

13 hours ago, CFALLC said:

The travel agent went defunct before HAL denied the coverage.

My heart sank when I read this - you can't even go back to that person to vent your frustrations or seek assistance.  I feel for you. 

Here's hoping your next cruise will be carefree and happy; I know what it's like to be medically disembarked with a spouse - it's no picnic.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

We bought the upgraded travel/medical insurance through HAL this past November.  I was injured on an excursion and was taken to the Ships Doctor.  $500 out of pocket right away.  Then x-rays, treatment, and meds.  All in all, over $1k out of pocket.  I was told I could file a claim for reimbursement.  When we got home, I did file.  Several forms and fax back to them. After a couple of days, I was informed by the company that since I had MEDICARE and TRICARE FOR LIFE I would have to file first with MEDICARE and when they denied the claim I would have to file with TRICARE FOR LIFE.  After both of them denied the claim, then I could send documentation to the Company and they would then evaluate and reimburse me.  This was DECEMBER 2018.  I am still waiting for MEDICARE to deny.  The COMPANY sent me an email stating they closed the case but I could reopen when I get all the "Required" documentation.   I am almost sorry I purchased the insurance!

1 hour ago, slimknyzer said:

This was DECEMBER 2018.  I am still waiting for MEDICARE to deny.

Five months seems a rather long time for MEDICAIRE to make a routine denial. I hope that you've spoken to them to ensure that your claim was received and hasn't been "lost" in the meantime. 

I was medically evacuated from a Princess cruises ship in Turkey, while on a Mediterranean cruise in 2015. I was in the Turkish hospital for 11 days before I was released to fly home. I purchased the Princess Insurance which included Medical Evacuation.  Once I was moved to the hospital,  an insurance representative to kept in touch with me the whole time, arranged for a nurse to fly from Florida to Turkey to accompany me home to Los Angeles, they took care of all air arrangements, and the nurse walked me to my front door. I was never billed or asked to pay a dime for the services they provided.

On the other hand, I had to charge $20,000.00 to a credit card to pay the hospital bill. When I got home I found out my excellent care in the ship's infirmary cost another $5,000.00. I submitted these bills to my medical insurance and received reimbursement. I didn't pursue medical reimbursement from the travel insurance because  there was no need. 

I always tell my friends, make sure to buy medical evacuation insurance on trips overseas. I don't know how I would have made it home without the added insurance. Everyone needs to be aware that medical evacuation insurance isn't the same as medical insurance to pay the medical bills.  

Also, the cruise lines have Port Agents at each port of call. The Princess Port Agent was in constant contact with my family regarding my progress. 

My experience didn't stop me from cruising. I took a cruise to Alaska in August, the Panama Canal in January, and my dream trip to  Norway leaves in less than two weeks.

Hope this helps someone. 

1 hour ago, tspinn said:

I was medically evacuated from a Princess cruises ship in Turkey, while on a Mediterranean cruise in 2015. I was in the Turkish hospital for 11 days before I was released to fly home. I purchased the Princess Insurance which included Medical Evacuation.  Once I was moved to the hospital,  an insurance representative to kept in touch with me the whole time, arranged for a nurse to fly from Florida to Turkey to accompany me home to Los Angeles, they took care of all air arrangements, and the nurse walked me to my front door. I was never billed or asked to pay a dime for the services they provided.

On the other hand, I had to charge $20,000.00 to a credit card to pay the hospital bill. When I got home I found out my excellent care in the ship's infirmary cost another $5,000.00. I submitted these bills to my medical insurance and received reimbursement. I didn't pursue medical reimbursement from the travel insurance because  there was no need. 

I always tell my friends, make sure to buy medical evacuation insurance on trips overseas. I don't know how I would have made it home without the added insurance. Everyone needs to be aware that medical evacuation insurance isn't the same as medical insurance to pay the medical bills.  

Also, the cruise lines have Port Agents at each port of call. The Princess Port Agent was in constant contact with my family regarding my progress. 

My experience didn't stop me from cruising. I took a cruise to Alaska in August, the Panama Canal in January, and my dream trip to  Norway leaves in less than two weeks.

Hope this helps someone. 

Many years ago, we saw a young man in a full leg cast occupying the middle row (5 seats) of a 757. I recall saying "Wow, it could be expensive to get home if something happens." And ever since then, I've made sure that medical evac was part of the policy. And thank God I did. Last summer, we had to come home from England via air ambulance. Travelguard arranged for it and paid for it. (I did some googling, it had to be at least $100,000) They also arranged to do a direct bill from the hospital in England, so I wasn't out of pocket even temporarily. 

It's like that old American Express commercial. Don't leave home without it!

18 hours ago, CFALLC said:

To those who said I should have read the policy, that is good advice but neither the travel agent nor HAL sent me a policy. 

Did you get an email from HAL of your Guest Booking Confirmation PDF?    If you did the text inside the PDF when getting the standard policy does state about the protection plan.

Screen Shot 2019-05-14 at 10.54.55 AM.png

7 minutes ago, TheEmerson said:

Did you get an email from HAL of your Guest Booking Confirmation PDF?    If you did the text inside the PDF when getting the standard policy does state about the protection plan.

Screen Shot 2019-05-14 at 10.54.55 AM.png

OP booked through a TA, and probably got a confirmation from them, not from HAL. My TA sends a confirmation on her agency's form, and she does list all the details. But I never get a confirmation from HAL.

1 minute ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

OP booked through a TA, and probably got a confirmation from them, not from HAL. My TA sends a confirmation on her agency's form, and she does list all the details. But I never get a confirmation from HAL.

I'll be honest, this is one of the reasons I book with HAL first and then transfer to a TA--I have the HAL confirmation of what they're selling me, at what price, any promotions, and I have it in writing directly from HAL. Just my personal preference to do it this way.

• Like 1

This is a very important thread. But I fail to understand the hostility being directed at the original poster. 

I am an an experienced cruiser and a retired attorney. I just got off the phone with a HA agent who we have used before and find to be very helpful on most issues, but when I asked about insurance, she was not particularly knowledgeable. 

Had we purchased the HAL insurance she recommended, we could have found ourselves in the same situation as the OP.

I strongly urge travelers to buy their trip insurance separately from any package offered. Insuremytrip.com, as someone else mentioned, is an excellent way to compare provisions. Know that if you are an older person, every insurance company will deem anything relating to your health to be a preexisting condition, so make sure you purchase insurance as soon as possible, at least within 10 days of making your initial deposit.

And people, please be kind.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CFALLC said:

About Medicare, my husband had a medical issue on board one of HAL's ships. When we returned I followed the requirements for the insurance I bought, I filed with Medicare - since it's the primary insurance before my travel insurance. MEDICARE PAID the bill. You have to do your research and file with your primary insurance.

I believe you were very lucky and lesson well learned.  At least you did not require emergency medical evacuation which, as others have said, can run $100,000 or more.  When we began cruising many years ago I educated myself regarding travel cancellation and medical/evacuation coverage and determined that what the cruise lines offer is generally very expensive and lacking in complete coverage and for lower cost  comprehensive travel insurance can be purchased. When I signed up for Medicare (regular, not managed care) I made sure to educate myself as to what is covered and what is not.  Any coverage out of country, with a few very specific exceptions, is not covered just as cosmetic surgery, dental, acupuncture and several other services are statutorily excluded by standard Medicare. HAL explains their coverage on their web site and if you neglected to read your conditions of coverage that certainly is not HAL's fault.  Sorry for YOUR mistake, but don't blame HAL. Happy future cruising.  And please do your homework before your next cruise, no matter which cruise line you decide to take . Good travel insurance which includes medical as well as emergency evacuation is a requirement for us, otherwise I would worry myself sick and not be able to enjoy the cruise.

Jane

I believe you were very lucky and lesson well learned.  At least you did not require emergency medical evacuation which, as others have said, can run $100,000 or more.  When we began cruising many years ago I educated myself regarding travel cancellation and medical/evacuation coverage and determined that what the cruise lines offer is generally very expensive and lacking in complete coverage and for lower cost  comprehensive travel insurance can be purchased. When I signed up for Medicare (regular, not managed care) I made sure to educate myself as to what is covered and what is not.  Any coverage out of country, with a few very specific exceptions, is not covered just as cosmetic surgery, dental, acupuncture and several other services are statutorily excluded by standard Medicare. HAL explains their coverage on their web site and if you neglected to read your conditions of coverage that certainly is not HAL's fault.  Sorry for YOUR mistake, but don't blame HAL. Happy future cruising.  And please do your homework before your next cruise, no matter which cruise line you decide to take . Good travel insurance which includes medical as well as emergency evacuation is a requirement for us, otherwise I would worry myself sick and not be able to enjoy the cruise.

Jane

On 5/13/2019 at 6:50 PM, CFALLC said:

You are correct about Original Medicare.  We have that, too.  We also have a supplement policy ("gap insurance") that covers out of country with deduction, % coverage, and lifetime limit clearly stated.  If you have a supplement, you might want to check on that.

I believe that there is a tendency to point that finger at others when we have issues-whether it be a cruise line or any other person or business.

Bottom line...would you buy auto insurance or home insurance without knowing the limitations/coverage or without asking for a written policy (summary or otherwise) confirmation?  Let alone understand the basics of what one is purchasing?

Yet the personal financial downside or risk with out of country medical can easily be equal to, or exceed the risks with auto or home insurance.

Edited by iancal