Cruising with a CPAP machine.

redrider73

Cruising on the Magic for the first time as well as cruising with a CPAP machine for the first time.  Biggest question - Can I bring a gallon size container of distilled water with me?  We will be driving down so I do not have to worry about the airport process.  From other comments, I plan on bringing a power strip but are there any other "tips/suggestions" I need to consider?

I just had my CPAP on the Magic this year.  It should not be a problem bringing the water onboard, especially if its sealed and has the manufacturer label on it.  I did have to fly and did not bring distilled water with me; I had planned on buying a gallon from a local grocery store...but they were out.  So consider this, all the drinking water on board is distilled anyway, so it should be fine using the ship's tap water.  Otherwise you can purchase distilled water onboard as mentioned in the previous post, but it will cost more.

I also bring my own extension cord and put it in either the CPAP bag or my carryon luggage and never had a problem with it.

• Like 1

Husband has one.  First off, carry it on..carry it on...carry it on.  You don't want them to lose that or have it damaged in checked luggage. We've only been stopped once and that was this spring at the Port of Baltimore. They actually thought the hose was a rope and the machine was a travel iron?  That was fun at security this spring.  Kinda comical actually when we pulled it out to show it was a cpap and mask and hose.   Two - we bring our own extension cord as they never seem to have any and always pack that with the CPAP. I think we got one once when we requested.  Some ships, like Splendor, had a long way to go over to the outlet from the bed.   They will provide distilled water if you need it.  I believe there was a way to indicate on your reservation for special medical needs or you can call and they will note it.  

Be careful bringing a power strip - anything with surge protection is a no go. 

Edited by BroadwayGirl
  • Like 3

Lots of threads on this. I use a CPAP on every cruise. I pack it in the luggage and have never had a problem. Also, 5-7 days is not long enough for mineral buildup so the tap or bottled water onboard work just fine. Do bring an extension cord, not a power strip.

2 minutes ago, wms99 said:

Lots of threads on this. I use a CPAP on every cruise. I pack it in the luggage and have never had a problem. Also, 5-7 days is not long enough for mineral buildup so the tap or bottled water onboard work just fine. Do bring an extension cord, not a power strip.

Exactly, use mine every on cruise and have for years. Ships water and my own extension cord. Yes, the ships have cords but I have been in the situation where they had run out of them, bring one of your own. If you bring a power strip with a surge protector it will likely be confiscated, they are not allowed.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pyrate13 said:

Exactly, use mine every on cruise and have for years. Ships water and my own extension cord. Yes, the ships have cords but I have been in the situation where they had run out of them, bring one of your own. If you bring a power strip with a surge protector it will likely be confiscated, they are not allowed.

Exactly as stated by Pyrate13.

Just got off the Paradise yesterday and the same drill for my previous 5 cruises since having a C-PAP on 3 different lines.  Ship's water is RO treated, fine for use in a CPAP.  Bring your own cord.  Don't bring a "Power Strip" most have surge protectors and Carnival will likely assume it does and confiscate it.  Bring one of those 3 pron plugs with a 3 way split.  Also you may want to consider a euro to us converter so you can use the 220 euro plug as well.

49 minutes ago, K&RCurt said:

Exactly as stated by Pyrate13.

Just got off the Paradise yesterday and the same drill for my previous 5 cruises since having a C-PAP on 3 different lines.  Ship's water is RO treated, fine for use in a CPAP.  Bring your own cord.  Don't bring a "Power Strip" most have surge protectors and Carnival will likely assume it does and confiscate it.  Bring one of those 3 pron plugs with a 3 way split.  Also you may want to consider a euro to us converter so you can use the 220 euro plug as well.

I have had my cpap for almost a year, and only used on RCI last year for 23 nights on the ship. They supplied a cord and distilled water (free). I will be on the Splendor this year for 31 nights. Are you saying the ship water will be ok for that long? I do have my own extension cord.

15 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

I have had my cpap for almost a year, and only used on RCI last year for 23 nights on the ship. They supplied a cord and distilled water (free). I will be on the Splendor this year for 31 nights. Are you saying the ship water will be ok for that long? I do have my own extension cord.

It should be, but do you want to chance it for the sake of saving $3??

1 hour ago, Schoifmom said:

Nope, I had planned on getting distilled. I will just ask once I get onboard. Better safe than sorry.

Either use the onboard or preorder the water for the 3bucks. Lugging those plastic gallon containers is a PITA. It's worth the money to have it waiting or use onboard. I take an extension cord that matches with the color of the cpap and pack it with it in it's case

1 hour ago, crzndeb said:

Everyone has their own idea but I would have no problem using the ships water for that amount of time. Again, that's just me.

• Like 1

I called Carnival 2 weeks ago and they told me they do not supply an extension cord.  So I bought a 3 prong one for my husband and we are taking that.  He doesn't use water in his CPAP so I can't help you with that. 

Thanks to all for their comments - especially about the power strips w/ surge protectors not being allowed!  I did not know that.  I was told by my Doc to only use distilled water.  Not only did it prevent mineral buildup in the machine but it was also healthier for me to breathe - he said even filtered water had chemicals that are not good for "shooting" directly up my nose! 

I pre-purchased before i got on the boat, so i would not have to carry around a gallon of water for the 7 day cruise.

For pre-purchase, please contact our Fun Shops department at 1-800-522-7648 Ext. 70039, Monday-Sunday from 8:00am-10:00pm ET. For purchase on board, please contact Room Service. Should you wish to bring your own distilled water with you, it must be hand carried along with your CPAP machine.

in case you have other cruise questions check out our channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0vltMO3RlOYSfE8PNiirPA

Edited by JQTravels

CPAP MACHINES

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3372/kw/Can you bring extension cords

Carnival permits guest who use BIPAP, CPAP, Concentrator, and Nebulizers onboard.

You must bring your own equipment on board for personal use. Please hand-carry these items and do not place them in your checked luggage. There is one electrical outlet in each stateroom located in the area of the desk/vanity. The outlet is equipped with a 3-prong 110 volt (North America Grounded) and a 220 volt (Europe German-Style).  It is recommended that you bring your own extension cord to accommodate your equipment comfortably.

Carnival carries distilled water which can be purchased either pre-cruise or once on board. For pre-purchase, please contact our Fun Shops department at 1-800-522-7648 Ext. 70039, Monday-Sunday from 8:00am-10:00pm ET. For purchase on board, please contact Room Service. Should you wish to bring your own distilled water with you, it must be hand carried along with your CPAP machine.

If traveling by air, please check with the airline directly for their restrictions regarding traveling with medical equipment.

Each stateroom has one electric outlet located at the desk. The outlet is equipped with a 3-prong 110 volt (North America Grounded) and a 220 volt (Europe German-Style). On the Mardi Gras, there are three outlets located at the desk. 

On the Carnival Horizon, Carnival Panorama, Carnival Sunrise, and Carnival Vista, there is one USB outlet (5 volt, 1000mA) in each stateroom. On the Mardi Gras, there are multiple USB outlets at the desk and next to the beds. 

The outlet in the bathroom can only be used for electric razors.

Power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors and extension cords (without surge protectors) are allowed on board when used with proper caution. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.   

Edited by TravelLots

12 hours ago, CimW said:

My sister uses one.  I take duct tape to tape the extension cord to the floor so we don’t trip on it.  

We put one of the white towels over the cord at night. The texture alerts my feet to its presence and the white on the floor provides contrast. It works like a charm, then we just pick it up in the morning.  

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 12:56 AM, CimW said:

My sister uses one.  I take duct tape to tape the extension cord to the floor so we don’t trip on it.  

I use duct tape, too.

I buy the $3 gallon as I don't want some random water inhaled in my lungs. 

On 5/31/2019 at 2:49 PM, Schoifmom said:

It is amazing people spend thousands upon thousands on a cruise and then start nit picking over a couple of bucks.  

BE SURE that you notify CCL ahead of time that you are a CPAP patient and they will provide water and extension cord for your trip.   Remind your cabin steward when you arrive of what you need and they will handle everything....they are very good caring for your needs.   

On 6/1/2019 at 12:05 PM, panoramaofthepast said:

We put one of the white towels over the cord at night. The texture alerts my feet to its presence and the white on the floor provides contrast. It works like a charm, then we just pick it up in the morning.  

I keep the luggage mat and use it to place over my cord each night.  Works great.

• Like 1