Clothes for Alaska Cruise

cheryl1054

I’ve been on many Caribbean cruises, but totally stumped on how to pack for a mid- June Alaskan cruise.  Do I still pack sandals & swimsuit?  Is it too windy to sit on deck or will I really need to be bundled up?  Is a sleeveless dress & light shawl ok for dinner, or do I need to dress warmer? I’m sorry if this sounds silly, but could someone please fill me in?  I’ve heard to dress in layers... but what else do I need to pack?    Thank you!!

Edited by cheryl1054
Misspelling

The temperature inside the ship is identical on an Caribbean cruise and Alaskan cruise. 

We sailed in early June last year and there were people in the pool every day. And the hot tubs were well used. The pool, slides, H20 water feature are all heated. 

And those who enjoy the sun were out on deck. Some bundled up. Some with deck blankets (which you get from the towel stand). On our cruise, they served hot soup out on deck.

Being from Illinois, you probably would find the weather cool, but not cold. 

That being said, on glacier watching day, you will want a heavy coat, gloves, hat (cuz there will be ice all around). 

• Thanks 1

As it says next to my name, I'm from Florida. I wore a sweater inside the Bliss pretty much every day and was comfortable. I've never worn a jacket or anything on my Caribbean NCL cruises so I would say it's a bit colder inside -though it could just be it seemed it since it was cold outside. But I was ditching the sweater by late night to go dancing so it wasn't that cold inside.  

I would say layers are your friend. That way if you're cold or it's a cold spell you add more and if it's warm add less. I did have a pair of sandals and wore those 90% of the time I was on ship (closed toes are needed for laser and go karts). I was beginning of May and saw some people in hoodies chilling on the lounges on the pool deck lol.

The big difference I'd say is that in the Caribbean the wind is welcome, where the wind up there is usually freaking cold. It would change decent weather where the wind was blocked to holy crap I'm a popsicle once the wind found you. I popped outside wearing not a windbreaker and ran right back inside several times as the wind cut straight to my bones. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

The temperature inside the ship is identical on an Caribbean cruise and Alaskan cruise. 

We sailed in early June last year and there were people in the pool every day. And the hot tubs were well used. The pool, slides, H20 water feature are all heated. 

And those who enjoy the sun were out on deck. Some bundled up. Some with deck blankets (which you get from the towel stand). On our cruise, they served hot soup out on deck.

Being from Illinois, you probably would find the weather cool, but not cold. 

That being said, on glacier watching day, you will want a heavy coat, gloves, hat (cuz there will be ice all around). 

Omg are deck blankets those dark blue blankets I saw everywhere - though mostly in the observation lounge??? I was wondering where in the world they came from! Never saw a stack of them when I walked by the towel desk. 

• Thanks 1

From what I remember. I wish I had packed  long johns or leggings for under my jeans. We had winter coats. This is only for the early morning viewing of the Glaciers. The rest of the time we didn't have too bad of weather. Like everyone says Layers...

• Thanks 1

Merinski,

Is that a ***** Zhu in your signature? Looks like my precious pup. Don't mean to hijack the thread.

I've been on two Alaska cruises and will be on the Joy on the 22nd. I'm packing light sweaters, black yoga pants, jeans, black boots, jean jacket, two sets of long pant pajamas, winter hooded jacket, gloves, and a long black skirt with white t-shirts for Ocean Blue and Le Bistro. Taking one swimsuit and cover-up for Spice H2O hot tub. I'm a big fan of one carryon for 7 day cruises.  Love that NCL is so informal.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, smplybcause said:

Omg are deck blankets those dark blue blankets I saw everywhere - though mostly in the observation lounge??? I was wondering where in the world they came from! Never saw a stack of them when I walked by the towel desk. 

You need to ask attendant at the towel stand. They are either in back closet or under counter. He takes you cabin number and name to “check it out”

Also, don’t forget your binoculars.

Edited by phissy
  • Thanks 1

Rain gear - Alaska ports get more rain than Seattle, WA - don't let those sunny & blue sky pictures fool you.  Dress in layers but make sure you pack something in case of a sudden downtour, comfortable non-slip walking shoes.  A weatherproof backpack to keep your contents dry & organized.  Check the weather forecast ahead 3 to 5 days before leaving from home ...

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It was many years ago when we cruised out of Juneau in late May. It was 80 degrees on that day! The locals were amazed. 

We stay in Juneau the night before the cruise. It was very hot that day too. I looked at the thermostat in the hotel, and said to my husband that I couldn't figure out how to put the air conditioning on. He took a look, and then we realized there was no air conditioning. Open a window!

You will enjoy Alaska regardless of the weather. An amazing place.

• Thanks 1

Layers are your friend anytime of the year. I would not pack a parka or any heavy coat. Instead I would have a short sleeve shirt, a sweater or fleece and a waterproof/windproof lightweight top layer that can be stored easily in a pocket or purse. As for shoes, I would suggest comfortable walking shoes for your shore excursions - leave the flip flops/sandals at home - unless you want to dress up a bit in the evenings - BTW most people do not dress up on these cruises and jeans are common in the MDRs.  

• Thanks 1

we did take layers but it wasn't miserably cold. It has been a few years, we did have a lot of rain and the two days we were out on deck we did use those blankets, but we had a couple of nice days as well. I would throw in sandals but am not sure about bothering with swim suits. 

• Thanks 1

If you are flying into a port city to take the Alaska cruise and you have packed all those layers of clothing

beware of overweight luggage - simple solution wear some of the layers getting on the airplane or redistribute

some items into your carry-on - of course your airline and its rules may vary.

One layer (the top) should be rain moisture proof - it can rain in Alaska and there

can be heavy mists - umbrellas are useless on a ship - also wear a wide brim hat.

The Alaska that you are cruising and visiting is not the Polar ice stuff - even a helicopter visit to the top of

a glacier is not all that long in exposure to the elements - but please no flip flops or bikinis !

Bare legs wear those fashionable leggings/jeggings yoga things.

Your visit to see the glaciers is not to see the glaciers in the making but their regression due to global warming.

Generally you will have adequate time to scout out the pleasant warm viewing points on the ship in advance of

seeing the glaciers and you don't really get up that close - take a smaller ship excursion to do that.

Binoculars and cameras with telephoto lens are most useful.

The Inside Passage weather is much more calmer and less prone to the adverse elements of the open Pacific Ocean.

There is a reason all the BIG Alaska cruises are done in the prime time moderate weather (May thru late September).

Ice cubes and cold drinks don't sell well in the winter ! LOL !

Your cruise director was out of material so I was filling in - - - - -

• Thanks 1

You should bring a waterproof jacket, something breathable like Gortex. Alaska can be very damp, especially the the ports NCL and many other cruise lines visit which are in the Tongass National Forest (Rain Forest). Most of your cruise the temps will range from the low 50's to low 70's

Edited by Laszlo
  • Thanks 1

5 years ago today we were embarking on our Alaskan cruise RT from San Francisco.    We had an aft suite and I was able to sit out there every day.   The day we sailed Glacier Bay I needed a blanket but wore a long sleeve shirt and jeans.   I sat outside for hours.    For excursions we did a helicopter ride to a glacier for glacier trekking.    The helicopter company supplied us with heavy coats, gloves, boots so we did not need any of our own.    One day we hiked the Chinook trail and did a raft ride back.   Again - long sleeve shirt, jeans and a Gortex rain jacket.   I also had hiking boots.    Last excursion was kayaking and once more just a long sleeve shirt and I wore waterproof pants.      I agree with the comment about checking the weather forecast the week before you go.

16 hours ago, luv2c00k said:

5 years ago today we were embarking on our Alaskan cruise RT from San Francisco.    We had an aft suite and I was able to sit out there every day.   The day we sailed Glacier Bay I needed a blanket but wore a long sleeve shirt and jeans.   I sat outside for hours.    For excursions we did a helicopter ride to a glacier for glacier trekking.    The helicopter company supplied us with heavy coats, gloves, boots so we did not need any of our own.    One day we hiked the Chinook trail and did a raft ride back.   Again - long sleeve shirt, jeans and a Gortex rain jacket.   I also had hiking boots.    Last excursion was kayaking and once more just a long sleeve shirt and I wore waterproof pants.      I agree with the comment about checking the weather forecast the week before you go.

tracking the weather the week before is probably the answer.  

• Like 1

I packed layers but bought a hoodie while in port and that ended up being my go to when outside! Prior to going, I also bought a thin, foldable rain jacket and a lined one as well. Both of them worked great. The rain jacket was thin enough and roomy enough that I could wear it over the hoodie and another layer. We had pretty good weather (for Alaska in August) but the glacier day was cold and rainy. Not only did I have on layers plus the hoodie plus the rain jacket but I was also wrapped up in one of the blankets! Two days later, I was sitting out on the deck in a pair of capris and a tank so you really never know. Layer up and prepare for rain and cold. That rain jacket and hoodie were the best things I've ever bought.

2 hours ago, stevendom57 said:

@bonvoyagie You mentioned a waterproof outer layer. Getting a waterproof jacket/coat is easy. What do you do about your legs? I was planning on jeans with long johns for the glacier visit, but jeans are certainly not waterproof. Suggestions?

Steven

Many people do nothing about waterproof covering for their legs and seem to survive. You can get rain pants to pull on over whatever you're already wearing--handy if there is a chance of rain but it's not raining yet--or water-resistant hiking pants.

Jeans are a poor choice in rain because they stay wet and cold.

We just sailed last week on the Joy.  There were people wearing sandals and shorts throughout the cruise both inside and into port some days. At the same time others were in sweatshirts and jeans. It just depends on how hot/cold you run normally.

Inside is always comfortable, just wear what you would as if you went to a restaurant at home if it was in the 50's outside. The staff and servers wore long sleeves and long pants inside.  Outside on deck the staff wear jackets. 

On the Joy, there are places outside on the decks that have clear plexiglass shields to block the wind and heaters in the ceiling. You could be "outside" but still have some protection. Other deck areas are open and exposed. Depending on the day's weather, you may need warm layers.  I brought more clothes than I needed. We had sunny, dry days every day but one morning. The staff said that was unusual tho.

On a few days it was warm enough that the pool was busy and active. Other days, people hung out there in the sunshine but wrapped up in the plush blue blankets they have at the towel exchange bar.

I wore jeans, tshirt and zippered sweatshirt inside almost all the time and my Columbia winter jacket over my sweatshirt in ports but my husband and adult sons dressed much lighter. There were times I took off my winter jacket and wrapped it around my waist but still had on my sweatshirt.  I wore tennis shoes everywhere. I brought an old pair of tennis shoes for shore excursions but we only did mild shore activities (salmon fishing, whale watching, walk throughout Mendenhall Glacier park on the paved paths). 

Shore excursion wear depends on what you do. If you dress in layers and have waterproof rain jacket, you will be ready for whatever the day brings.

On 6/2/2019 at 6:10 PM, edspec said:

Merinski,

Is that a ***** Zhu in your signature? Looks like my precious pup. Don't mean to hijack the thread.

I've been on two Alaska cruises and will be on the Joy on the 22nd. I'm packing light sweaters, black yoga pants, jeans, black boots, jean jacket, two sets of long pant pajamas, winter hooded jacket, gloves, and a long black skirt with white t-shirts for Ocean Blue and Le Bistro. Taking one swimsuit and cover-up for Spice H2O hot tub. I'm a big fan of one carryon for 7 day cruises.  Love that NCL is so informal.

Yes she is a Shih Tzu, love her and cruising...

I have not had that bad of weather on my previous AK cruises. I usually wear short or jeans and have not really worried about rain as it is usually more of a mist or fog not downpours. An exception was the Tracy Arm Explorer out of Juneau was almost cancelled due to a squall that passed over the bay - one minute it was a downpour and the next the sun was out. If I really wanted to be weatherproof, I wear a pair of lightweight ski pants over my jeans. I am also from Oregon and spent lots of time on the coast so the weather in AK is normal for me.

Just got back yesterday. Used down jacket, long underwear, etc. for the helicopter/dogsledding excursion on Mendenhall Glacier, but didn't need it for anything else. T-shirt and fall jacket was enough the rest of the time. I usually wear t-shirts and ended up wishing I'd packed more. The ship was a bit warm for my taste. Several of our group used the pool. 

We went last year mid-July.  I used a hooded sweatshirt and my Northface Jacket a lot.  I had a head band that covered my ears and I used my gloves.  Inside was normal temps; however, I did not use the pool but there were some doing so.  We LOVED Alaska!  We did a 3-day post cruise tour and inside Denali State Park it was hot (80's).  Layers work great.

• Like 1