Should cruise lines offer a dining option that does not include the MDR?

1025cruise

I believe the OP was trying to solve the problem of certain seatings being listed as unavailable...thinking that if people could "opt out" of the dining room PRIOR to the cruise, there would be more availably for those wishing to use the MDR.

It's never been a huge problem to get the seating you'd  like once you're on the ship, in my experience, tho.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, George C said:

We rarely eat in mdr, last few cruises we did suites on celebrity and rccl that had suite restaurants, we also do specialty restaurants.

Curious why that is.

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Why would you need to be able to select the option:

“I do not wish to dine in the MDR during this cruise”?

It’s not as though they will come looking for you - it’s easy enough to just eat elsewhere.

As I read the original post, the option is not to allow passengers to eat elsewhere.  As you and others say, that already exists.  Instead it might allow the dining management to better allocate tables based on preferences.  For example, passengers who don't use the MDR might sign up for anytime dining during booking.  So they would be allocated seats in anytime dining even though they will never use them.   With a "no MDR" option, those seats could be available for someone else.  

At least, that is how I read the suggestion.   

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, ldubs said:

As I read the original post, the option is not to allow passengers to eat elsewhere.  As you and others say, that already exists.  Instead it might allow the dining management to better allocate tables based on preferences.  For example, passengers who don't use the MDR might sign up for anytime dining during booking.  So they would be allocated seats in anytime dining even though they will never use them.   With a "no MDR" option, those seats could be available for someone else.  

At least, that is how I read the suggestion.   

That's what I read too. The lack of reading comprehension is shocking (or maybe not).

Yes, my point is to not allocate seats in the MDR for those that don't want them (for whatever reason). Selecting Anytime isn't the solution. Again, there are only so many seats to allocate. So what happens is that people that want anytime can't get it because the seats are allocated, they are then sent to traditional dining, and no show. Therefore, those that want the traditional dining experience (same waitstaff and tablemates) don't get it because they are seated at a shared table that no one else shows up to. 

As more ships extend their specialty restaurants to "more than just a steakhouse", it will become increasingly possible that someone won't use the MDR. Why should they have seats held for them that they won't ever use? 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, akcruz said:

I have said this should be an option before.  Yes you can pick my time, any time, etc if you choose not to eat in the dining room at all but with that becoming the preferred option on many (no not all for those naysayers but I do believe most) cruises why book that up and force people who would prefer anytime, my time into traditional?  We gave up on traditional (fixed dining times) when we had a similar experience as you did. Doubt it will happen though, they wouldn't know what to do with the tips.  Maybe some day hopefully.

There are already some cruise lines where all that is available in the GDR  is "anytime" dining and (on a select few of those ships), if a waiting line ever forms, you may be offered any available specialty restaurant slots as an alternative (of course, with never an added charge). 

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Just choose Anytime (or whatever they call it on your chosen cruise line) and never show up in the MDR.

Simple answer .

There are people who only eat dinner at the Buffet , but those are a very small % on any sailing.

No need to change anything .

Funny, I read the OP different than everyone else.  I thought what he/she was looking for was an option for someone to opt out of the MDR and receive a credit/lower price for doing so.

This is essentially the same thing as making the MDR a perk you can opt into or out of.  Not too farfetched on my opinion.  On many lines your cruise fare determines WHICH dining room you use.  It's not a stretch to see them add BUFFET ONLY to the list.  The obvious problem is that the buffets would become even more crowded and nearly unusable.

20 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

As a follow up to my other thread, is it perhaps time for the cruise lines to offer a dining option that says "we do not plan to use the MDR"? This way people that don't want to use the MDR won't get assigned seats they won't use, and people that do should be able to get their preference.

All you have to do is select the your choice option and the problem is solved.

16 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I wonder if “writing comprehendably” might be the issue.

I found the OP to be clear in what he wrote. He came back later and said, yes, that's what he meant. Even after that, people are still not "getting" it. Notice the post just after yours. 😱😳😏

• Like 2

9 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Exactly but K32682 suggested doing away with traditional dining and instigating bookings like regular restaurants on land. That might work on small ships, and already does work for the specialty restaurants, but can you imagine the dramas that could occur on ships with 5000+ passengers? It's scary! Traditional dining puts much less pressure on those managing the restaurants and, after the first night where people need to be shown to their tables, means that less staff have to be involved with seating people. And you'd still get people who book then don't show up, or people who forget to book and demand to be seated immediately, and so on. 

We've only tried Anytime dining / open seating twice so far in 13 cruises. Once on Crystal where most tables were two tops or easily converted to fours or sixes. Once on the Tasmania Majestic Princess cruise which were not good MDR experiences. We're trying it on Sea Princess for the Hawaii/Tahiti cruise so that will hopefully give us more scope to see if it works for us. We've had mixed success with traditional dining - some great tables, some empty tables, some that weren't so good.

Bear in  mind that some cruise lines do Anytime dining better than others, IME, Princess and HAL haven't handled it as well as X, Royal or even P&O.

8 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Why would you need to be able to select the option:

“I do not wish to dine in the MDR during this cruise”?

It’s not as though they will come looking for you - it’s easy enough to just eat elsewhere.

It is supposed to help with limiting the tables with empty seats because of no shows.

8 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

It is supposed to help with limiting the tables with empty seats because of no shows.

also aids in info, the galley as how much to prepare.  It's a good thing to do.

22 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

But, and IMO it's a big but, how big an issue is this,  statistically? What percentage of guests never show up to their MDR fixed seating? Is this really a mountain, or is it a molehill? And how do you handle those who only absent themselves from the MDR  for a couple of nights per week? 

And are there that many people who are traumatized because they were forced to dine  'a deux' at a larger table? Are grown adults really that fragile? 

Edited by mom says
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I am inclined to think that what we have here is a possible solution looking for a problem which does not really exist.  The line can react to the number of passengers who request assigned dining, set aside sufficient tables for them, and leave the rest of the tables available for anytime.

I have seen enough MDR’s split between fixed and anytime to think that this approach is already in place.

There will always be some no-shows, as people opt for specialty restaurants.

19 minutes ago, mom says said:

But, and IMO it's a big but, how big an issue is this,  statistically? What percentage of guests never show up to their MDR fixed seating? Is this really a mountain, or is it a molehill? And how do you handle those who only absent themselves from the MDR  for a couple of nights per week? 

And are there that many people who are traumatized because they were forced to dine  'a deux' at a larger table? Are grown adults really that fragile? 

I wouldn't say traumatized, but when you walk by a table of 8 with only 2 sitting there, what comes to your mind?

Everyone keeps saying to select anytime (or whatever its called). I want the same waitstaff. Plus, in some cases, select dining will fill up as well. They don't have unlimited space. They still need to allocate as if everyone is going to show up. The end result being that people that want anytime will get stuck in traditional, and then no show because they don't want late (where they normally get stuck due to availability). In reality, the only solution, though not yet coming from the lines, is to allow a passenger to say they don't wish to use the MDR and just not worry about assigning seats. This way the anytime wanters get their seats, and don't get stuck where they don't want to be.

7 hours ago, clo said:

Curious why that is.

With some lines such as Celebrity, Suite guests get their own restaurant (Luminae) where they can have Breakfast lunch and dinner if they wish. Aqua Class cabin guests also have their own restaurant (Blu) where they can do the same.

3 hours ago, mnocket said:

Funny, I read the OP different than everyone else.  I thought what he/she was looking for was an option for someone to opt out of the MDR and receive a credit/lower price for doing so.

This is essentially the same thing as making the MDR a perk you can opt into or out of.  Not too farfetched on my opinion.  On many lines your cruise fare determines WHICH dining room you use.  It's not a stretch to see them add BUFFET ONLY to the list.  The obvious problem is that the buffets would become even more crowded and nearly unusable.

I am not sure where the $ aspect came in, but I would not like to see that happen, even if it is just on the gratuity aspect as the dining staff often work in the buffet and the MDR for different shifts.

16 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

I wouldn't say traumatized, but when you walk by a table of 8 with only 2 sitting there, what comes to your mind?

Everyone keeps saying to select anytime (or whatever its called). I want the same waitstaff. Plus, in some cases, select dining will fill up as well. They don't have unlimited space. They still need to allocate as if everyone is going to show up. The end result being that people that want anytime will get stuck in traditional, and then no show because they don't want late (where they normally get stuck due to availability). In reality, the only solution, though not yet coming from the lines, is to allow a passenger to say they don't wish to use the MDR and just not worry about assigning seats. This way the anytime wanters get their seats, and don't get stuck where they don't want to be.

I've gotten the same waiter twice using anytime/freestyle dining. We typically eat at the same time every night. That makes it easy on the staff.  Once on Royal, once on Norwegian. Due to rude tablemates, we now just get a table for 2.

5 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

There are already some cruise lines where all that is available in the GDR  is "anytime" dining and (on a select few of those ships), if a waiting line ever forms, you may be offered any available specialty restaurant slots as an alternative (of course, with never an added charge). 

It's fairly obvious you have not encountered the issue the OP has as your responses throughout this thread do not address the issue.

With most lines you have a choice of anytime, early or late traditional each with a finite number that can be assigned to each.  I have experienced myself and hear more and more about those assigned to traditional dining looking for a large table showing up and being the only ones at the table.

This seems to be happening for a few reasons, either people are opting for speciality and or buffet only and not using their seats or people want anytime and are unable to get it due to it being booked up, potentially by those choosing not to use the dining room, so are forced into traditional which doesn't work for them so they don't use it at all.

By providing the no dining seating option it frees up openings so others have a better chance of getting the type of seating they desire.  Will it work on all ships, no, but on the big mega ships with lots of dining options it should help.

For those saying just use anytime/my time what happens when it's full and you can't?  Just because you have not had the circumstances the OP, and others, had doesn't mean it doesn't happen.  Unfortunately as cruising demographics change it seems to be happening more and more.

47 minutes ago, mom says said:

If the other thread about awful table mates is anything to go on, than yes, there are a lot of fragile adults out there.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I am inclined to think that what we have here is a possible solution looking for a problem which does not really exist.  The line can react to the number of passengers who request assigned dining, set aside sufficient tables for them, and leave the rest of the tables available for anytime.

I have seen enough MDR’s split between fixed and anytime to think that this approach is already in place.

There will always be some no-shows, as people opt for specialty restaurants.

the issue being that they normally split the dining room by upper and lower levels. I think they should be able to split it by x amount of sections for Traditional and the rest by Traditional and this may need to flexible and happen during the cruise.

58 minutes ago, mom says said:

It's not about being fragile but enjoyment of a part of the cruise many enjoy.  We used to opt for a large table during traditional dining for the conversation.  We had a similar experience to the Ops and started doing my time.  We asked for a large table and they were unable to accommodate.  We were at a table for 2 but the next table was so close you could still have a conversation.  We have met many that way and both requested the same tables for the remainder of the cruise.  We have also had those adjacent who did not want to converse so talked among ourselves.

The no dining option doesn't help with those who are only away some of the nights but maybe it will open more my time slots for them??  I don't get the resistance to the option, nobody is asking anyone to choose it if it doesn't work for you so what harm would it do to give it a try??