Port Day "Picnic" Ideas?

young_k92

I'm looking for suggestions of packaged items available onboard only (not bring-your-own) that it would be "legal" to take off the ship in port for a picnic lunch. Are room service peanut butter and cream cheese in the little sealed tubs? I think yogurt is sealed as well and might work. What about room service chips and pretzels? Are they in sealed packages? Is there anything else?

I don't want suggestions of "just sneak it off," please. I'm a rule follower, so sue me. And I'm a farmer. I've seen first hand how exotic and invasive species can destroy agriculture in an area. So, no thanks.

But thanks in advance for any suggestions of things that are available onboard, prepackaged, and good for a port picnic lunch!

• Like 1

Just now, nhsails said:

Why not pick up a bottle of wine, some food from the port and go enjoy?

Perfect idea.  Usually the rules are nothing (except bottled water) taken off or brought on.  So, if you are a stickler for the rules, your best bet is going to be picking up something local.

If you're trying to save money, eat breakfast right before you leave the ship & lunch as soon as you get back.  Peanut butter and cream cheese are not available in sealed containers.

• Thanks 1

If the OP is on a Caribbean cruise, when they leave the ship and port area they can look for local restaurants and food vendors, including any cooking on a split 55 gallon drum or from a truck that are frequented by mostly locals. 

This would be more memorable than a bag of chips.  Try jerk chicken in Jamaica, rice and peas with conch in the Bahamas, flying fish in Barbados, lolos in St Maarten or Hawaii, or fresh caught fish on any isle.

Avoid the chains and fast food joints, they wouldn't qualify for a local picnic.  My suggestions above would be cheaper and tastier anyway.

Edited by evandbob
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mdsgu said:

Usually the rules are nothing (except bottled water) taken off or brought on.  So, if you are a stickler for the rules, your best bet is going to be picking up something local.

Really?  This is news to me.  And I can't find anything from Carnival to that effect.  I have always been told that factory-sealed, prepackaged, non-perishable foods are allowed to be taken off the ship, as well as brought on (the rule about food brought on is copied and pasted from the Carnival FAQs, below).

"Due to concerns for food safety and contamination prevention, any food items brought on board must be pre-packaged and unopened.  Homemade items or pre-cooked foods are not allowed.  We are unable to provide food preparation, refrigeration or storage for personal food or beverage items."

Can you point me to where there is any verification of rules as you claim them to be?

Edited by ShakyBeef
unfinished sentence

There are some ports where you are not permitted to take any food (Cozumel, for example).  MOST ports will allow factory-sealed foods to be taken off the ship; however, Carnival provides very little that is factory-sealed.  Sandwiches, chips, etc. are not served in sealed containers.

• Thanks 1

I am more curious about the food items available on the ship that you can get 'factory sealed and packaged'. Totally no interest in doing a picnic and I enjoy the local food. Just curious as they are doing away with individual packaged condiments and even cereal now comes in bulk containers. What am I missing other then yogurt?

Chips are loose on the room service plate.

But if I wanted a picnic I would head to a local market.

Edited by Bookbug53
  • Thanks 1

Mr Labrador fruit dog got me for taking a bananna off. Mexico does not allow any fruit to enter. Now you will see whole cows and chickens hanging in meat market with no refrigeration etc. lol....Be careful. Cereal used to be in small boxes and now it is going to be in large containers you self serve. We always bring peanut butter crackers to take to the beach etc.

• Thanks 1

Sometimes, the on board store has snack items available packaged, or the candy store (can't remember the name).  BUT - for the price of these, it would be more economical to buy on land.  I can't think of anything included in the cruise cost that is prepackaged, unless the ship you're on still has the cereal boxes.  Last time we were on Carnival, the jam and peanut butter were in big crocks.

• Thanks 1

Hi Young_k92

Nobody wants you to sneak anything off the ship. There are some who will always break the rules if they feel it doesn't apply to them.

Back to your question. Where were you going? What were you thinking in regards to the picnic setting. As mentioned, even if you could, would peanut butter and jam sandwiches with pretzels and chips really be want you wound want to be eating?

You are going to the effort of visiting a different country, why not take advantage of buying something local? There are always restaurants near beaches. As mentioned, a bottle of wine or a local beer with a couple of sandwiches would be an easy option for a picnic lunch.

This site has an excellent "port of call" section. If you go there to research, there will be threads of each of the islands that you will be visiting. You can get ideas about what you would like to do and/or if you did want to do that picnic, where specifically to get your food. 

have a great cruise

6 hours ago, young_k92 said:

I'm looking for suggestions of packaged items available onboard only (not bring-your-own) that it would be "legal" to take off the ship in port for a picnic lunch. Are room service peanut butter and cream cheese in the little sealed tubs? I think yogurt is sealed as well and might work. What about room service chips and pretzels? Are they in sealed packages? Is there anything else?

I don't want suggestions of "just sneak it off," please. I'm a rule follower, so sue me. And I'm a farmer. I've seen first hand how exotic and invasive species can destroy agriculture in an area. So, no thanks.

But thanks in advance for any suggestions of things that are available onboard, prepackaged, and good for a port picnic lunch!

There is pretty much nothing worth taking off of the ship. They are doing away with packaged items (didn't you see the ridiculous thread about no more individually wrapped pats of butter?).

We used to take a box of cereal just in case but they don't have those anymore either. If you truly want to bring a snack, I would bring something from home. If you're trying to save money, eat a big breakfast before you get off the ship and eat lunch when you get back, or grab a burger or local meal to go that you can share with whoever to tide you over until your next ship meal. 

The best option is to just buy lunch at the port if you're spending the full day off the ship. 

• Thanks 1