When will they replace the old granduer from Baltimore port?

Still hoping to grab a sailing on Grandeur as it is only about 2 hours away for us - would go really to enjoy the ship, not the itinerary, unless it was one of the longer 9+ night trips into Canada or down to the Caribbean.

I'd do Bermuda, but not on a five-night cruise.  As others have said, just not enough time on the island.   Not a fan of the Bahamas which severely limits my options on ports out of the Northeast.

2 hours ago, 2Beeze said:

Going to agree 10000%!  I have no idea who came up with an itinerary, but it’s terrible. You get there too late to do anything and leave too early the next day to do much. We basically had to pay someone extra on that first day to come from the other side of the island (after their regular tour of the day) to give us a mini tour that evening. The second day was a Sunday - very little was opened in Hamilton and we didn’t have a lot of time to see much regardless (especially given Sunday ferry options). We won’t do that particular itinerary ever again (although we will return to the Grandeur).

They used to spend more in port. When we took GOS out of Norfolk, we had almost 3 days - we arrived morning of the first day(9 AM) and left on the 3rd day at 4 PM. Two nights in port.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, msmayor said:

Still hoping to grab a sailing on Grandeur as it is only about 2 hours away for us - would go really to enjoy the ship, not the itinerary, unless it was one of the longer 9+ night trips into Canada or down to the Caribbean.

I'd do Bermuda, but not on a five-night cruise.  As others have said, just not enough time on the island.   Not a fan of the Bahamas which severely limits my options on ports out of the Northeast.

The 12-night itinerary is VERY popular.  Grandeur does that itinerary frequently.

• Like 3

Just finished a B2B on Grandeur.  In addition to the new pool screen, a major project is underway to refurbish the elevators with new controls and interiors.  We thoroughly enjoyed the cruise, and the staff treated us great.  Even got a nice picture with the senior officers just to present us with our next crystal block.  Lots of real deal offers for Specialty dinners.  Both the off-going and on-coming Captains (Patrick and Thor) stated that Grandeur will be home ported in Baltimore for many years.  

/Greg

Edited by Defender1158
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I loved the stretched Enchantment.  That huge pool deck and the addition of Boleros work well in the markets she sails from. 

Honestly never felt the Theater or WJ to be overly crowded. Elevators arent that bad. Maybe a younger crowd takes the stairs more. 

Hopefully well sail Grandeur some day. Just not on a Bahamas run. Bermuda or New England if she does those

She sails both of those itineraries now. We are taking  the Canada/New England 9N in July and the Bermuda run (5N) in August.   Sailing from Baltimore. Join us. 😄

We sail Grandeur in 1997 during her inaugural year. I can’t wait to be back on board. 

M

16 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Michael Bayley mentioned on the President's cruise that if a Radiance ship deployed to Baltimore,  prices would have to go up. A lot.

The Bermuda run is so expensive already! I’m not sure how much higher it  can go. 

M

1 hour ago, Defender1158 said:

Just finished a B2B on Grandeur.  In addition to the new pool screen, a major project is underway to refurbish the elevators with new controls and interiors.  We thoroughly enjoyed the cruise, and the staff treated us great.  Even got a nice picture with the senior officers just to present us with our next crystal block.  Lots of real deal offers for Specialty dinners.  Both the off-going and on-coming Captains (Patrick and Thor) stated that Grandeur will be home ported in Baltimore for many years.  

/Greg

They don't know.

10 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Bermuda?    I guess cheap is all relative.  It seems high to me. Perhaps it has to do with the particular sailing date/cabin selection. 

M

It is cheap. When I do a seven day on Celebrity to Bermuda the fare is considerably more. I go up to Bayonne to get a decent Bermuda itinerary.  It is a waste to go on the Grandeurs Bermuda itinerary if you want to do Bermuda. If all want to do is get on a ship that is another story. But Radiance class won't necessarily be a higher fare. I have gone on that class ships and the fares in the very low range. 

Edited by Charles4515

8 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

But what I really don't like is her Bermuda itineraries which arrive late the first day and leave early the second day. 

For our 9-nighter this September, we arrive 2pm one day and leave 6pm the next. 

5 minutes ago, Yorkvillain said:

For our 9-nighter this September, we arrive 2pm one day and leave 6pm the next. 

That leaves you some time to do something in Bermuda and get out of the tourist trap at the Dockyard. 

Edited by Charles4515

1 minute ago, Charles4515 said:

That leaves you some time to do something in Bermuda. 

Yup.  On day one we usually hit Horseshoe Bay for about two hours, then return to ship to shower and get ready. Then we take the ferry to Hamilton and have a nice dinner and drinks. On day two we usually spend the whole day at Horseshoe Bay.  

Next on my bucket list is a  7-day NCL cruise from NYC with 3 days, 2 overnights in Bermuda.  

On 7/12/2019 at 12:24 AM, Pumbaamd said:

RCCL has said more than once that Radiance class ships will fit under that bridge. Too bad we have a shortage of them. 

R&D

Bay Bridges.jpg

And a least two of them are for sale according to a video on Youtube.

4 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

She sails both of those itineraries now. We are taking  the Canada/New England 9N in July and the Bermuda run (5N) in August.   Sailing from Baltimore. Join us. 😄

We sail Grandeur in 1997 during her inaugural year. I can’t wait to be back on board. 

M

Boarding Empress in the morning. Lord help me

3 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

It is cheap....

But Radiance class won't necessarily be a higher fare. I have gone on that class ships and the fares in the very low range. 

See posts #27 and #68 😇

33 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

See posts #27 and #68 😇

I think that is just a spin excuse. Do you think Radiance class would or should  command a big premium? I don’t. And it probably costs less to operate Radiance class than Vision class. However there probably is no incentive for Royal to make a change unless they could find another niche for Grandeur. Also Baltimore is lucky to have what they have. 

Edited by Charles4515

7 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I think that is just a spin excuse. Do you think Radiance class would or should  command a big premium? I don’t. And it probably costs less to operate Radiance class than Vision class. 

Easy for you to say, you're not responsible for deployment success or failures.

Over Grandeur, absolutely.  

Pretty sure Radiance jet fuel is pricey. 

Oh, and keep in mind, for their increased size, the Radiance ships carry substantially less passengers 

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1