Does this bother anyone else?

UrbanGirlie

To get back to the original statement of being uncomfortable with names electronically posted by your cabin door ~ 

I am wondering as well if not having that information showing is a possibility. It would put some at ease I am sure.

I do not care one way or another.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimmyVWine said:

And now that the discussion has shifted to phone calls and credit card fraud, it sort of emphasizes the point that there is nothing unique about being a woman traveling solo that makes her any more vulnerable than anyone else.  In a world where spokeo exists, none of us can shield our address, phone number, voter registration, household income or criminal record from others.  There is simply no way that you are more exposed or more vulnerable on a ship than you are off of it. 

How are they getting my income info? Trump won't show us his taxes so how is my household income public info?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, fluffybunny22 said:

How are they getting my income info? Trump won't show us his taxes so how is my household income public info?

Not sure. While what I have seen isn’t wholly accurate,  it isn’t wholly inaccurate. Mortgage records? Loan info?

1 minute ago, memoak said:

The names have been on the doors for as I have been cruising.  Like since 1990.  So why the big deal now ?

I still have as a souvenir a name card placed on our door from our stateroom on the QE2 from 1976. 

1 minute ago, JimmyVWine said:

I still have as a souvenir a name card placed on our door from our stateroom on the QE2 from 1976. 

Are you sure it’s yours? Or did you take someone else’s and assumed their identity all these years....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/21/2019 at 7:43 PM, rdsqrl said:

This is a huge problem and I don't understand why people aren't more concerned about it, instead of worrying that their name is posted outside of their cabin.   I fully intend to demand a cruise card and opt out of the medallion; I don't like carrying around something that should I lose it, has such dangerous implications.  If I lost/dropped a cruise card, the worst that could happen was someone buying a bottle of Dom on me. 

Actually, it's little different from having the cruise card.  Ones name is on it and if one knows were said name's cabin is.... Maybe I'm missing something?   Still, I can respect the concern and I would hope that an easy method is available to remove the name.. Just like when we had the older system with the little name cards.  Easy to remove those.

Edited by Redwing55
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, memoak said:

The names have been on the doors for as I have been cruising.  Like since 1990.  So why the big deal now ?

The card was easily removed. The flat panel display, not so much.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Redwing55 said:

Actually, it's little different from having the cruise card.  Ones name is on it and if one knows were said name's cabin is.... Maybe I'm missing something?   Still, I can respect the concern and I would hope that an easy method is available to remove the name.. Just like when we had the older system with the little name cards.  Easy to remove those.

We were discussing a different problem besides the name displayed at the cabin door.

The problem with the medallion system is that a losing a medallion, unlike a cruise card, is that anyone who finds the medallion can now find and access your cabin by just going to the display board. The cruise cards didn't have a cabin number on them.

They now have access to your cabin if they choose- name or no name on the door. 

I't a low probability of happening, but still possible. This security problem has been on-going since the inception of the medallion system & they still haven't corrected it since we first sailed a medallion ship in Feb 2018. I've notified them time & time again with no change in the program. 

Perhaps it'll take a lawsuit from someone who has had their cabin robbed before they decide to make the change.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JimmyVWine said:

Back in the day didn't they publish a public listing of everybody on the ship with full name and cabin assignment?  I'm pretty sure I've read about that having been the case.

1 minute ago, Thrak said:

Back in the day didn't they publish a public listing of everybody on the ship with full name and cabin assignment?  I'm pretty sure I've read about that having been the case.

I don’t know. I was only 13 at the time so I wouldn’t have paid that close attention.  But if that information had been available, I’m sure my mom would have devoured it, looking to see if we were crossing with any celebs. Unfortunately she isn’t around for me to ask. 

3 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Yes they did but that was long before the term triggered came to be.

1 hour ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Yes they did but that was long before the term triggered came to be.

I'm sure I should know what that term means but... I don't understand the context. I'd claim "old man" status but I've met you and you aren't a "young whippersnapper" yourself!  I understand what "triggered" means in normal English as in something "triggered a response", etc.  I actually have a pretty good understanding of English. I'm just unsure what you are referring to here. Help?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I'm sure I should know what that term means but... I don't understand the context. I'd claim "old man" status but I've met you and you aren't a "young whippersnapper" yourself!  I understand what "triggered" means in normal English as in something "triggered a response", etc.  I actually have a pretty good understanding of English. I'm just unsure what you are referring to here. Help?

The entire thread.   😳

4 hours ago, Thrak said:

I have one from 2004, on Pacific Princess. No idea when they stopped publishing it, I enjoyed browsing it to see who else was on the ship that I knew.

20 hours ago, jenf22 said:

At some point kids get some freedom.  We cruised last year with friends and for the first time our kid got to walk around the ship with his friends (and no adult).  I was worried every single time but I let him go because it's important for him.  It was the first time he had that kind of freedom on a cruise.  On Royal our names weren't on our door.  Nor have they been on DCL or NCL.  All of our previous cruises if someone knew his name it's because they met him at the meet and greet or they were staff.  So I would expect him to be polite and maybe engage in chit chat when spoken to (granted we were with him).  He would assume if they addressed him by name, then they met him previously and he doesn't remember.  Now Princess has added an element where someone could know his name but be a total stranger.  All they have to do is watch us go in our room to know our names.  I will admit there's probably nothing that will happen because strangers know his name.  I, as a protective parent of an only child, would be happier to not have my child's name on the door.  If they want to just put my last name or initials, fine.  But we will deal with whatever. 

I'm tempted to post this question on the NCL or Royal board.  Wonder how they would feel about their names being on their cabin door.  Seems the Princess folks are used to it and don't mind.  I also wonder why it's totally fine on a cruise ship, but I've never seen a hotel do it.  Oh well, I'm not crazy about it but I'll be ok 🙂

Granted I have no young children traveling with me.  But how would a stranger know which of the children on the ship matched the name on your door???

On 7/21/2019 at 11:17 AM, UrbanGirlie said:

Hi all-

On Royal Princess now (1st Princess Cruise  after cruising most other major lines!)

Love the Medallion features, using the app and keyless door entry. 

BUT:

Does anyone have privacy concerns with your names (including minor children’s names) being displayed on your stateroom placards?  I thought that once everyone was settled in after the 1st day that the names would disappear, but it looks like no.  

I’m not a hyper vigilant person to begin with but I was just wondering if other had concerns?

UG

Granted I do not travel with young children, but how would a stranger know which of the children on the ship matched the name on your door?

1 minute ago, jangor said:

Granted I have no young children traveling with me.  But how would a stranger know which of the children on the ship matched the name on your door???

Because they watched him go in the door with his name on it.  Just like if I see you go in your room I now know your name.  I find it odd.  I'm in the minority (on this board).  I don't think anyone is going to kidnap my kid or steal my identity.  I just find it weird.  I've come to the conclusion I don't want random people seeing my name on the door either.  Will I cancel my cruise because of it - no.  Princess folks seem to like it, seem to think it's more personal.  Whatever.  I don't think anyone would be ok with a hotel doing it.  And I think Princess should allow people to "opt out".

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, jenf22 said:

Because they watched him go in the door with his name on it.  Just like if I see you go in your room I now know your name.  I find it odd.  I'm in the minority (on this board).  I don't think anyone is going to kidnap my kid or steal my identity.  I just find it weird.  I've come to the conclusion I don't want random people seeing my name on the door either.  Will I cancel my cruise because of it - no.  Princess folks seem to like it, seem to think it's more personal.  Whatever.  I don't think anyone would be ok with a hotel doing it.  And I think Princess should allow people to "opt out".

Really!  People are lurking outside your cabin door in the hope of being able to match a child's face to one of the names on the door?  I do suppose that pedophiles are resourceful, but someone lurking in the hallway in the hope of seeing your child seems a bit unlikely.  But hey, I am not a pedophile, so what do I know.

I have been giving this a lot of thought. On the hotel issue, as on a ship, it doesn't/wouldn't bother me. I am again trying to figure out what "harm" could be done by knowing my name and room number. Let's say they sign for dinner on my room. I'd easily be able to fix that at check-out. If someone dials my room and says Ms.XXXX we have an issue with your CC please provide your number, my response would be "I'll be down to take care of it". Am I missing something obvious? 

I live in an apartment complex. The mailboxes for our building are on the first floor in a group. Mine only had my unit # on it. I kept getting the wrong mail. I changed it to a tag with my first initial and last name because it helps me get the correct mail. I have yet to have an issue with this either....

Edited by JennyB1977
  • Like 3

On 7/22/2019 at 9:07 AM, JimmyVWine said:

Common 2019 scenario from a hypothetical poster with user name Montana_Bob....

Post on the Roll Call....."Hi!. We're Helen and Bob from Missoula and are thrilled to join this Roll Call.  We're willing to participate in the Cabin Crawl and folks can come to our cabin for cocktails.  We'll be in C324.  We have also joined a FB group related to this cruise and I will be live blogging once on board.  Look for my posts on Instagram." 

Post on threads like this...."They show my name outside my cabin door??!!  How dare they!"

There are many of us who are careful enough, and value our privacy enough, that we don't care to let anyone know about us other than what I choose to divulge ourselves. Rather than ask why not;  why not ask why I'd want that information available?  My wife and I do not use  social media other than email and don't see any reason to ever change. I guess this forum might also be an exception,  but again, I can control what information is available. Even using email I use an alias. In the past if our cabin had our names, etc posted it would have been removed immediately. I can't figure a reason why I'd be better off posting that information. My steward probably knows my name, although I have no need for him to call me by name anyway.

I'll  check into having our name removed from that cabin placard ASAP after boarding on our next cruise. If no one has reported their success (or lack thereof) in doing that I will post that information for those who might wish to do so.

Doug

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, jangor said:

Really!  People are lurking outside your cabin door in the hope of being able to match a child's face to one of the names on the door?  I do suppose that pedophiles are resourceful, but someone lurking in the hallway in the hope of seeing your child seems a bit unlikely.  But hey, I am not a pedophile, so what do I know.

Again, whatever.  I guess people never stalk kids.  That never happens.  Kids are never harmed ever.  And no one is ever in the hall when you go in your room.  Ever.  And seriously, forget my kid.  I don't think it's necessary to have my name on my door.  Maybe we could just leave it that.  I'm not a paranoid person and I think it's creepy and actually lazy on Princess's part.  They can't have the steward look at a paper to verify the right door?  10 cruises - over 80 nights on a ship (with no name on the door) and I've never been delivered the wrong mail.

Edited by jenf22

19 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

I have been giving this a lot of thought. On the hotel issue, as on a ship, it doesn't/wouldn't bother me. I am again trying to figure out what "harm" could be done by knowing my name and room number. Let's say they sign for dinner on my room. I'd easily be able to fix that at check-out. If someone dials my room and says Ms.XXXX we have an issue with your CC please provide your number, my response would be "I'll be down to take care of it". Am I missing something obvious? 

Why can't it just be enough that I don't want my name there.  It doesn't have to "harm" anyone.  Ever wonder why no other cruise lines do it?  Why hotels don't do it?  You mentioned PII earlier.  It only takes one additional piece of information to be PII.  (I take training on it too)  All you have to do is look at us and hear us speak to know what country we're from.  Why give anything out?  Why not let me decide what I display on my door just like I can decide what I display on the internet or this forum?

Oh and sorry for 2 posts - I don't know how to multi-quote on this board. 

Edited by jenf22
  • Like 1