Caribbean Princess A/C Situation

CruiseVA

I've been reading alot about A/C issues still occurring on the Caribbean Princess.  If you have cruise on her after her refurb, which was June 2019 could you please just post your cabin number & how the A/C was?  Thank you.

32 minutes ago, CruiseVA said:

I've been reading alot about A/C issues still occurring on the Caribbean Princess.  If you have cruise on her after her refurb, which was June 2019 could you please just post your cabin number & how the A/C was?  Thank you.

Let me change this a little and remove the stipulation of sailing after June,  Just go ahead and post the date of you cruise as well.

We were on lido deck L232 on June 29th cruise, and A/C was fine all week, but that is an inside cabin.  Intentionally booked it because we had a balcony last year, and it was warmer (I was the one who had the post about removing the diffuser to get better air flow).  I took a thermometer just so I could monitor and our room stayed between 69-72 all week. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

We were on lido deck L232 on June 29th cruise, and A/C was fine all week, but that is an inside cabin.  Intentionally booked it because we had a balcony last year, and it was warmer (I was the one who had the post about removing the diffuser to get better air flow).  I took a thermometer just so I could monitor and our room stayed between 69-72 all week. 

Holy Cow! We would freeze at those temps. It's currently around 100 degrees Fahrenheit outside. I have my AC set at 81 and it's fine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

73 is about my high limit, after that, I become an unpleasant person.  I didn't have a thermometer with me last year, but I would guess I never got the room below 72.  It was borderline for me.

People talk about no A/C for days, I would have to abandon ship or go bunk with the captain.

• Like 2

IMO.....

Based on the issues I have seen posted before and after dry dock,  wet dock, or however they docked it I doubt that any AC issues were addressed during that time.

IMO also......

Many of these are dealt with during cruises. They know the passenger is leaving shortly and my guess is some they never address for that very reason because the next passenger may not say anything about it. 

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

Holy Cow! We would freeze at those temps. It's currently around 100 degrees Fahrenheit outside. I have my AC set at 81 and it's fine.

Yeah, we got some of that with humidity too. I keep mine at 78 with the excuse that I am lowering our carbon footprint. That doesn't fly for you either, right?

I have yet to have an issue with air conditioning on any ship in any geogrphical area at any time of the year. Us mammals are pretty adaptable to teperatures. Reptiles, not so much.

June 8th cruise we were in A720 and it was chillin in our cabin. There were random warm spots around the ship thankfully our cabin was cold! Last cruise on her in 2016 I thought I was going to die of heat stroke. I started complaining the very first morning and it was a daily thing the whole cruise. We were in a window suite that cruise F315.  I notified customer service when I returned home and they made it up to me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Wow at that temperature I would have to have a long pants, long sleeved shirt and a jacket.  :classic_rolleyes:

We live in south Texas where 90F is a cool summer day and keep our thermostat on 78F although I would go with 80F if Ms Diver would agree with it.  Back to the OP though, we were in E722 balcony on the CB November 2018 cruise and had no problem with the A/C.  We sometimes had to open the balcony door to warm the room up because it was too cold. So we had no problems with the air conditioning on the ship.  The MDR was its usual cold enough to hang meat and necessitated warmer clothes at dinner.   

81 during the day ... down to 79 before bedtime ... turn down to 78 first thing when up ... then gradually back up to 81 if staying in house all day, or reset to 81 if going out ...

get hot ? - just walk outside for a couple of minutes ... then come back inside to the 'cool' 81 degrees

• Like 2

D118 mini, May 18th Sailing, first full 7-day itinerary after dry dock.  All in all I gave it a B/B+  It struggled to keep up in the heat of the day while stopped at port but once the ship got moving and the sun went down it caught up fairly well.  When laying down for bed at 10pm I could have gone for a couple degrees cooler but that felt like nit-picking given the heat level outside, it wasn't that bad.  When I woke up in the middle of the night it felt legitimately chilly.  I did have to turn the AC back a couple clicks from full blast on a couple of occasions.

I don't recall anything extreme one way or the other anywhere else on the ship except for club fusion which was absolutely frigid.  Not a complaint, bingo was a nice chance to cool off, but there definitely seems to be an opportunity to spread the wealth between club fusion and what some people apparently experienced in their rooms.

Since personal temperature preference factors in heavily to different perceptions of how well the A/C performed, for reference - I generally prefer temps on the cool side but not to an extreme.  During the summer my target temp is somewhere in the 70-72 zone, a few degrees cooler overnight if possible.

June 29, 2019, R305 Balcony. The A/C was fine. We like 70-72 range. We did keep the curtains closed during the day when we were not in the room. It was a very hot cruise - 90's during the day.

Sometimes, we let the room get warm if we are gone for the day (turn up the thermostat), and dialed it down when we returned. It cooled off quickly. 

Edited by richmke

5 hours ago, voljeep said:

81 during the day ... down to 79 before bedtime ... turn down to 78 first thing when up ... then gradually back up to 81 if staying in house all day, or reset to 81 if going out ...

get hot ? - just walk outside for a couple of minutes ... then come back inside to the 'cool' 81 degrees

When the hall temp reads about 83-84 we kick the unit on and set it at 81. Nice and cool. We just turn it off and open the windows around 9 or 10 depending on the outside temp. We never let it run at night. We do run the ceiling fan in the bedroom at night but the windows are open. The hot weather is finally arriving. Forecast this wee is all triple digits with 106 forecast for Saturday. We've been lucky to have the heat hold off so long as it's only been in the 90's most days. We usually get a week or so of 110 - 112. I agree about stepping outside and then coming back in. 81 is really nice and cool after being outside.

We were on board in January/February this year in A535 & the AC couldn’t come close to 72, even with the drapes closed all day. We had it checked but there was nothing they could do.

everyone has a different comfort level, but if my room was at 81, they’d have to find me a new room.😳

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2019 at 7:54 AM, voljeep said:

This is terrifying loll!!  I turn my thermostat down to 67-68 each night to keep it cool upstairs. And sleep with 2 fans on. For the breeze...and the sound lol

Hopeful it's nice and cool in our mini suite in November. 

Edited by FloaterBoat

C437 on the July 20 Western Caribbean...AC was acceptable...clearly working but not as cool as we would have liked, especially at night. I woke up sweating most nights. I suspect it was in the 71-72 range...we set ours to 67 at night at home (lower in the winter) and run fans as well.

4 minutes ago, FloaterBoat said:

Anybody in mini-suites/suites with bad ac?

do they place a priority over fixing them depending on the room category?

I feel like nobody should have bad air conditioning. This is ridiculous.

so you've never had any A/C problems at your house and waited on a tech to check it out ?