Grandeur of the Seas?

tkline

1 hour ago, BND said:

We had a nice week long getaway.  As far as comparisons. The cons:  We find Carnival décor a bit gaudy.  Pride has virtually no outdoor shaded areas so we had to move a few times to stay in any shade at all.  The adult only Serenity area (strictly enforced to 21+) was virtually all in the sun all day long as it's at the back of the ship.  There is a bar and a covered sitting area-limited though back there.  Meals felt very rushed.  Some evenings we were still eating dinner and they were shoving the dessert menus in our face.  Found out later one night in particular they had a crew party they all wanted to get to.  Dinner never took more than an hour. Crew wasn't overall as friendly as on Grandeur.  Debarkation was slower, which we've found on every Carnival cruise we've ever been on (6 so far).  And, since we booked late (4 weeks prior), we could only get an obstructed view balcony and by that I mean a lifeboat completely obstructed our view up to about our chest height.  No looking straight down at all and limited view otherwise.

Pros- shows were good, CD was excellent (Dr. E).  Food was always served at the correct temperature which we know isn't always true on RCI.  Embarkation was great for us, but we had bought Faster to the Fun so no real waiting except to start boarding because we got there early.   We really weren't out at the pools, except for one morning. They got very crowded, but there were like 700 kinds onboard too.  There are lots of indoor spaces to sit.  We loved the Piano Bar and the Punchliner comedy club.  Guy's burgers and Blue Iguana (burritos and tacos) are great to have in addition to the buffet, deli and pizza place.  Always able to find a seat in the buffet area also (indoors and out).  Showers are larger on Carnival than on RCI also so no clingy shower curtain or tube shower.  Although we usually cruise in JS so that's not really an issue for us.

Overall, it's just a different experience.  We're also used to the DL and CL on Grandeur (and other ships).  We did have terrific tablemates at dinner.  One couple was Platinum on Carnival and have been on RCI, we're Gold on Carnival and D+ on Royal and the other it was their first cruise so it was fun discussing Carnival, Royal and the changes we've seen, as well as giving advice to the new couple.  It did rain on us in our ports, mostly in the am and late afternoon.  Half Moon Cay, we had a huge thunderstorm and just ended up going back to the ship early and having lunch there. And it poured all day our last sea day.  But, we can't help that there was a tropical wave over the Bahamas last week.  The best part was we never had seas over 4' the entire trip.  Lots of families and not near the partying you'll see on shorter itineraries or when there are less kids onboard.

Thanks very much for this, it is helpful. It sounds like Royal is a better fit for me but I have a friend who loves cruises and I could see doing a Carnival-specific itinerary with her. The lack of shade means that it's definitely not a fit for my significant other who prefers AC, shade, the indoors and cooler weather. I'm surprised that I convinced him to go on Majesty.

I could see my friend liking Carnival. For the right price and in the right season, I might try it. It's a fair point about NYC not being that far. I might be willing for the right price and itinerary but Baltimore is way easier for me.

Carnival isn't an option for us. My Fiance isn't a fan of them at all, and won't even consider them. I wouldn't mind trying them though, but her 2 votes always beats my 1. We've done the Celebrity Solstice to Alaska and Regal Princess to new england. We feel like Royal Caribbean would be a good fit for some of their cruises so we would really only be interested in the grandeur from Baltimore, or others from NY. I like Baltimore because it seems like it boarding will be painless and I like the idea of a smaller ship. We don't really do a lot of the extra stuff offered on cruises. We never go to shows, we don't really hang out in lounges, we don't use the pool. Most of our time spent on board is eating or gambling (slots and bingo). We are bigtime foodies, but we also don't do the speciality restaurants often because we already paid so much for the cruise and would rather spend money to eat at a local place in a port  if we can.

So maybe we'll give the grandeur a try. We are doing an Ireland & Iceland cruise with Celebrity next summer, so we were hoping to plan for the caribbean probably Jan or Feb '21

21 hours ago, suesnake2002 said:

Dave bhoy. You musta had quiet fellow cruisers. We had a lively bunch in april. We rocked the viking crown lounge, closed down the schooner bar in the evening. 

Could've been - but we only saw the usual 10/15 folk in the VCL any evening (barring 1).  

They were vacuuming the Centrum by midnight...

19 hours ago, bananawindnj said:

We sail on both as we live in South Jersey, but the different times of the entertainment on Anthem each day or night are so scattered that it is difficult to plan when to eat and try to make the shows. We end up missing shows.  I like on the smaller ships the 7 & 9 PM shows every night. 

We feel the same but, after a few years doing the same ship and itinerary, it's nice to be able to switch it up.  I wish the Oasis would stay longer than the few months it's scheduled.  It would be nice to sail her again.  SO doesn't like to fly when it's crowded and we tend to cruise over Thanksgiving so... 

On 8/9/2019 at 9:34 AM, LESLIEKURZ said:

We feel the same but, after a few years doing the same ship and itinerary, it's nice to be able to switch it up.  I wish the Oasis would stay longer than the few months it's scheduled.  It would be nice to sail her again.  SO doesn't like to fly when it's crowded and we tend to cruise over Thanksgiving so... 

Never been on the really big ships yet. We are cruising on the Allure this Thanksgiving week with our kids and grandkids.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2019 at 4:18 PM, tkline said:

Carnival isn't an option for us. My Fiance isn't a fan of them at all, and won't even consider them. I wouldn't mind trying them though, but her 2 votes always beats my 1. We've done the Celebrity Solstice to Alaska and Regal Princess to new england. We feel like Royal Caribbean would be a good fit for some of their cruises so we would really only be interested in the grandeur from Baltimore, or others from NY. I like Baltimore because it seems like it boarding will be painless and I like the idea of a smaller ship. We don't really do a lot of the extra stuff offered on cruises. We never go to shows, we don't really hang out in lounges, we don't use the pool. Most of our time spent on board is eating or gambling (slots and bingo). We are bigtime foodies, but we also don't do the speciality restaurants often because we already paid so much for the cruise and would rather spend money to eat at a local place in a port  if we can.

So maybe we'll give the grandeur a try. We are doing an Ireland & Iceland cruise with Celebrity next summer, so we were hoping to plan for the caribbean probably Jan or Feb '21

From my one trip on Grandeur, it does sound like a fit for you two. 

I would definitely go on Grandeur again, I just don't have infinite ability to travel at this time and I do more land traveling. I told some of my friends over the weekend about how I'm going on a cruise in October and they looked like they'd seen a ghost because they just think of stereotypes or aren't that familiar. Eh, I make my own decisions about travel.

If Baltimore is convenient, Grandeur is an easy experience. I'd go again if I want the itinerary and price. I left that trip feeling positive, I just went onto other travel like land travel in New England, Canada, France and Spain. I regret none of it.

On 8/8/2019 at 8:53 AM, Wanderista said:

How does Carnival Pride compare to Grandeur? I've read a few basic reviews so I have a bit of an idea of what Carnival is like. I'd probably only do it if I want a specific itinerary and if I know someone who wants to go. Baltimore is very convenient for me. I can see someone I know wanting to try it. I haven't traveled much in the Caribbean and might be interested in seeing more islands. I like beaches.

I'm someone who will try different things but vacation time not being infinite, if something just isn't a fit for me, I don't necessarily need to try it. I'm all for fun but not necessarily a loud party ship.  Even on Royal, the pool contests didn't really amuse me but it's not like they were a big deal either. I enjoyed some of the activities such as watching acrobats and the art auction. I really liked the lounges where I could have a coffee and relax with sea views. I'm not against games and fun but what some people find amusing, I find annoying.

Anyway, it would be interesting to hear how the experiences on these ships compare.

Much of this depends on crew and fellow passengers which can change from cruise to cruise.

I love the Pride as that's the ship I got married on.  I intentionally chose Carnival for the more upbeat atmosphere.  Carnival in general, I believe have better cruise directors overall than Royal Caribbean.  They do a better job stirring and connecting the passengers together.  If you like group fun with your fellow passengers, Carnival is the line to do it on.

I also LOVE the decor on Pride because I like Renaissance art.  I was actually on it before the refit and after, and surprisingly, they toned it down.  I was not as happy with the new layout because well, it was too bright.  One of my favorite lounges was destroyed.  Before, the lounge was kind of like a medieval castle with faux candle lights.  They destroyed it and put in the Alchemy Bar and white furniture.  Totally not the same anymore.  

Food is good on both, but I found Royal Caribbean edges out slightly here.  Maybe the escargot every night on Royal won it over, but its close.  Service, i have to give it to Carnival here.  Grandeur is great, don't get me wrong.  However, Carnival is consistent across the board, but Royal can be up and down.  I've gotten better service from some on Grandeur but at the same time, I've gotten worse.  The crew on the Pride seems to genuinely engage the passengers a little better, but that's my experience, crew can vary.

Shows, I would give a slight edge to Grandeur, but both are good.  Pride has a dedicated comedy venue, which is awesome, but then it depends on the skill of the comedian.  Some are great, and others, are okay.

Grandeur stands out with their itinerary.  Pride will only consistently do Grand Turks/Bahamas, Bahamas/Florida or Bermuda.  The Grand Turk stop is always short which i hate.   Once or twice a year, Pride has a 14 night voyage cruise.  Grandeur varies between Canada, Caribbean, Southern US and Bermuda and also varies between 5 nights and 12 nights.  I like that variety.

I think they are more similar than they are different.

1 hour ago, Rogueperson said:

Much of this depends on crew and fellow passengers which can change from cruise to cruise.

I love the Pride as that's the ship I got married on.  I intentionally chose Carnival for the more upbeat atmosphere.  Carnival in general, I believe have better cruise directors overall than Royal Caribbean.  They do a better job stirring and connecting the passengers together.  If you like group fun with your fellow passengers, Carnival is the line to do it on.

I also LOVE the decor on Pride because I like Renaissance art.  I was actually on it before the refit and after, and surprisingly, they toned it down.  I was not as happy with the new layout because well, it was too bright.  One of my favorite lounges was destroyed.  Before, the lounge was kind of like a medieval castle with faux candle lights.  They destroyed it and put in the Alchemy Bar and white furniture.  Totally not the same anymore.  

Food is good on both, but I found Royal Caribbean edges out slightly here.  Maybe the escargot every night on Royal won it over, but its close.  Service, i have to give it to Carnival here.  Grandeur is great, don't get me wrong.  However, Carnival is consistent across the board, but Royal can be up and down.  I've gotten better service from some on Grandeur but at the same time, I've gotten worse.  The crew on the Pride seems to genuinely engage the passengers a little better, but that's my experience, crew can vary.

Shows, I would give a slight edge to Grandeur, but both are good.  Pride has a dedicated comedy venue, which is awesome, but then it depends on the skill of the comedian.  Some are great, and others, are okay.

Grandeur stands out with their itinerary.  Pride will only consistently do Grand Turks/Bahamas, Bahamas/Florida or Bermuda.  The Grand Turk stop is always short which i hate.   Once or twice a year, Pride has a 14 night voyage cruise.  Grandeur varies between Canada, Caribbean, Southern US and Bermuda and also varies between 5 nights and 12 nights.  I like that variety.

I think they are more similar than they are different.

Thanks for your feedback. I looked at photos of the ship. I've got a specific friend who I would try it with if I want one of the Carnival itineraries. Grand Turk is one of the places that I would visit but I agree that the stop looks to be pretty short.

Where I work now, getting leave approved isn't that standardized so I don't know what my plans are for next year in general. 

I might be willing to give this a try but I'll see. It is great to have a couple of options in Baltimore.

On 8/11/2019 at 12:36 PM, bananawindnj said:

Never been on the really big ships yet. We are cruising on the Allure this Thanksgiving week with our kids and grandkids.

That's usually our week.  This year we're departing on 12/01.  Hope you enjoy!!!

My last RCCI cruise is some years back now- Grandeur was my first big cruise ship back in 1996- her debut year- or inaugural season! Back then they were considered " Mega Liners"! Unbelieveable- isn´t it? LOL!

I love the Vision Class of ships- so much light- so much connection to the sea- they are wonderful ships!

I have the fondest memories of the Grandeur, Enchantment, Vision, Splendour..!

So good to hear that the grand old lady is still enjoyed!

Edited by Germancruiser
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Good, more cabins available for those of us who like the ship.  

BTW, there is no Starbucks on Grandeur.  It is a Cafe Latitudes with Starbucks.  A BIG difference, as your drink package works.

As for the liquor used, that is standard at ANY bar.  Unless specified, use the well stuff.  If you use the same bar, they rapidly know how to make YOUR drinks.  Yes, the same drink is made differently by different bartenders.  They are not clones or androids.

As for the WJ, where would they put 4 different types of food stations?  If you ate there more (I think you said you ate there twice), you would see that every day  (and between lunch and dinner) the food choices change.  And for dinners, they do have theme nights.  One night will be Mexican, but with non-Mexican choices for those who do not like it.  Another night, a different theme.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wishuponasea said:

I wrote a review of our recent cruise. Here is the link, if you are interested.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=668974&et_cid=3214772&et_rid=162553609&et_referrer=220x90

Titled:  "Not Impressed"

Since this thread you dug up is two and half years old, it may have been a better idea to just post a new thread of your impression of Grandeur.  But it is a moot point anyway.  The Grandeur is sold and leaving the fleet.  

Edited by island lady

2 hours ago, island lady said:

Since this thread you dug up is two and half years old, it may have been a better idea to just post a new thread of your impression of Grandeur.  But it is a moot point anyway.  The Grandeur is sold and leaving the fleet.  

Two and a half years old?  This thread is from August.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tkline said:

I didn't know they sold it. Hopefully they will bring some other ships to Baltimore. It's an easy port for us to get to, we're still thinking of doing the caribbean or bermuda some time soon

Enchantment of the Seas will be coming back to Baltimore to replace GotS.

On 8/7/2019 at 7:29 PM, BND said:

Of course it's "tongue in cheek".  It's a well known fact that those that love Grandeur want it all to ourselves.  We've been on her 7 times, the most recent time was April and we're going again in Nov 2020.  Only reason it's that far off is that we're doing Harmony and Adventure  in between.  We just did Carnival Pride last week because Grandeur was sold out for the last couple of months.  We booked a last minute anniversary trip and spent a bit of time wishing we had been able to book Grandeur.

So what ship did you like better? Reasons?

2 minutes ago, Prance94 said:

So what ship did you like better? Reasons?

Grandeur, but we prefer RCI and only booked Carnival Pride because we couldn't get GR for that timeframe as it was sold out.   I posted pros and cons on the first page.

1 hour ago, biomedbob said:

Worst ship in the fleet!  What a dump!

LOL.

I see you keep trying and sailing on her to see if she'll ever get better. 😄   (I stopped counting at 12 the number of times I saw Grandeur in your signature)

• Like 1