Unwanted Upgrade

railman

We have a booking on the Caribbean Princess in December which we booked in April.  We booked C506 a mid aft (B2) balcony just aft of mid ship.  Princess just “Upgraded” us to D722 (MD) mini suite all the way in the back.  This cabin is opposite the self service laundry.  It’s certainly not what we consider an upgrade.

At the moment our TA is fighting with Princess to get our old cabin back.

10 minutes ago, railman said:

We have a booking on the Caribbean Princess in December which we booked in April.  We booked C506 a mid aft (B2) balcony just aft of mid ship.  Princess just “Upgraded” us to D722 (MD) mini suite all the way in the back.  This cabin is opposite the self service laundry.  It’s certainly not what we consider an upgrade.

We have had cabins opposite a laundry several times and we were never bothered by noise from the laundry.  We have also stayed in balcony cabins and mini-suites.  The small sofa and shower/tub in the mini-suite were certainly upgrades in our opinion.  While a cabin at the rear of the ship means a longer walk to many venues, it does have a slight advantage in that the wait for an elevator is generally shorter than at the midship elevators.

I hope you can get your original cabin back if that is what you want but, if unsuccessful, you may find the aft mini-suite to be not as bad as you thought.  Also, ask your travel agent to always mark future cruise bookings as "no upgrade".  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, nukesubsailor said:

I hope you can get your original cabin back if that is what you want but, if unsuccessful, you may find the aft mini-suite to be not as bad as you thought.  Also, ask your travel agent to always mark future cruise bookings as "no upgrade".  

I agree... you need to mark your booking 'No Upgrades' in future, if you do not want to be reassigned to a cabin Princess may deem an upgrade.

In my estimation it is certainly an upgrade with more space, a bigger bathroom with tub, and two TVs.  If you don't get your old cabin back, just try to go into the cruise with an open mind!  Hope the cruise is wonderful!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, railman said:

The only problem I see is that you didn't say "Thank you". Great room, great location.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the comments.

Yes it is an upgrade, but the wife is afraid of being at one end of the ship.  I can’t say I fully agree with her, but this is a battle I won’t win.  She is so upset she is threatening cancelling.  Hopefully something will be worked out to make her happy.

This will be our 15th Princess Cruise making us elite after this.

As nice as having a mini suite is, I wouldn't be happy either.  I get seasick and it wouldn't help being at the back.  We go for the middle and stay there. 

We were offered an incredible deal for a mini back in April on the Grand to Hawaii but it was at the front so we reluctantly declined.  

• Like 1

Last time we cruised we were offered an up-sell from the same Caribe cabin to a mini at the back which we turned down.  A few days later we were offered an up-sell again to a mini all the way in the front which we turned down.  Than five days before sailing they offered again an up-sell to a club class for the same price they offered for the first two.  We grabbed that one.

30 minutes ago, railman said:

Thanks for all the comments.

Yes it is an upgrade, but the wife is afraid of being at one end of the ship.  I can’t say I fully agree with her, but this is a battle I won’t win.  She is so upset she is threatening cancelling.  Hopefully something will be worked out to make her happy.

This will be our 15th Princess Cruise making us elite after this.

Why doesn't she want to be at "one end of the ship"?

That's our preferred location: less foot traffic = less noise from walkers in the area, as noted elevators may be faster.

Bigger cabin, balcony, 2 TVs, sofa, tub shower instead of a shower "coffin". What's not to like?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, JF - retired RRT said:

No.

This is one problem I see. Caribe deck regular balconies are great. They are partially have roofs and partially open.

image.png.7c9f70d15a602b1b987eabbf96db504c.png

18 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Why doesn't she want to be at "one end of the ship"?

That's our preferred location: less foot traffic = less noise from walkers in the area, as noted elevators may be faster.

Bigger cabin, balcony, 2 TVs, sofa, tub shower instead of a shower "coffin". What's not to like?

She is afraid of sea sickness.

• Like 1

I like to choose my cabin location and your upgrade would be a downgrade for me.   The fact that the balcony is totally uncovered is the reason I never book mini-suites on that class of ship.  It being so far aft is also a minus for me. 

I hope you can get your cabin back.

3 hours ago, capriccio said:

In my estimation it is certainly an upgrade with more space, a bigger bathroom with tub, and two TVs.  If you don't get your old cabin back, just try to go into the cruise with an open mind!  Hope the cruise is wonderful!

I totally agree that I'd take the upgrade.  I enjoy the Aft part of the ship.  It's your TA that dropped the ball on this and should have mark no upgrades instead of open to upgrades, not the fault of Princess.

Everyone is missing or ignoring the point.  Regardless of what we may think, the OP does not regard the change as an upgrade.  He wants his original cabin back and he should get it back.  When we cruise, my wife likes her cabin mid ship and low as a result of a very very bad experience on a far forward cabin on a north sea ferry in late fall probably 50 years ago.  If we were offered an "upgrade" to a suite at either end of the ship, she would say "don't take it".  One learns after many years of marriage not to argue w her on some things

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Everyone is missing or ignoring the point.  Regardless of what we may think, the OP does not regard the change as an upgrade.  He wants his original cabin back and he should get it back.  

DON

errors and omissions insurance ...IF ... the OP told the TA to mark it NO UPGRADES

wonder what the "fine print" actually states Princess has the right to do regardless of how the cabin is marked ...

1 minute ago, voljeep said:

errors and omissions insurance ...IF ... the OP told the TA to mark it NO UPGRADES

wonder what the "fine print" actually states Princess has the right to do regardless of how the cabin is marked ...

Regardless of whether it was marked "no upgrades" and it should have been so marked, how hard would it be for Princess to routinely notify you before they upgrade you.  They bombard you w e-mails on everything else concerning your cruise and especially things that they can make money selling you.

With regard to your "fine print" question and remember we are talking about cruise lines here, I am sure that the fine print says in effect that they can sc**w you coming and going and you have no recourse.

DON

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

With regard to your "fine print" question and remember we are talking about cruise lines here, I am sure that the fine print says in effect that they can sc**w you coming and going and you have no recourse.

and you have accepted those terms ....

• Like 1