Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Dayman9966

Just when you think the drink package can't go higher....

Recommended Posts

It has gone from $52 all the way to $65pp per day for our November cruise on the Indy.  That's a bit crazy.....We will now just pay out of pocket and save a ton instead of the $130 for the day, which in a 5 day cruise, 1 of the days we will be at port most of the time.  Dumb move by RCL....Put it at a fixed, fair price and most will buy it.  People post on here that they have seen it for $47-48 (With the exception of the $18 error of course.).  I just don't get the fluctuation of pricing for RCL.  I need a beer...….

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember when they didn't charge outrageous prices for a drink...a beer was around $2.25 + tip...and a mixed drink was in the $4 range...that's acceptable, when you're a "captive audience"...but $8-10 for a drink is simply gouging.  It's one thing when a ballpark or other entertainment venue does it...you're only there for a few hours....but when you are residing for a week and they are asking such prices....it's off-putting!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ours went up today from 57 back to 61.  Why didnt you buy it at $52?

 

My theory is they have raised prices in advance of a LD sale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Our Symphony booking for next July is sitting at $72 pppd

 

That puts it darn near the $100 CAD vicinity.

In perspective - that's 25% more per day to DRINK on my cruise than my cost per person FOR the cruise.

Edited by NateUpNorth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HoS Jan, sailing is up to $65 as well now.. :(

 

Even the internet has increased by a total of $30 over the 7 days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Dayman9966 said:

It has gone from $52 all the way to $65pp per day for our November cruise on the Indy.  That's a bit crazy.....We will now just pay out of pocket and save a ton instead of the $130 for the day, which in a 5 day cruise, 1 of the days we will be at port most of the time.  Dumb move by RCL....Put it at a fixed, fair price and most will buy it.  People post on here that they have seen it for $47-48 (With the exception of the $18 error of course.).  I just don't get the fluctuation of pricing for RCL.  I need a beer...….

 

It's not a "dumb move".  They'll still make money on your drink purchases, unless you intend to go teetotaler on your cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never thought for one minute that the drink prices couldn't go higher. NCL charges $99 a day and other lines start at $60 and go higher. $49 is my limit and I was surprised that my 9 day cruise on the Anthem with more sea days than port days was that low. If they can get $1299 for few hours in a cabana, $65 for the drink package shouldn't be a problem. Someone has to pay for the $18 mistake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

 

It's not a "dumb move".  They'll still make money on your drink purchases, unless you intend to go teetotaler on your cruise.

 

That "dumb move" depends.

I know they'd make more profit from my family on two reasonable priced drink package than the drinks we purchase individually.

The real question is are there more like us, or more that will pay the higher cost regardless?

Edited by NateUpNorth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, NateUpNorth said:

 

That puts it darn near the $100 CAD vicinity.

In perspective - that's 25% more per day to DRINK on my cruise than my cost per person FOR the cruise.

That’s an interesting way to compare it, I never looked at it that way, but I bet I will be moving forward. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before the drink packages, everyone paid the "per drink" prices.  It's just that now you are habituated to the "bargain" (HA!) price of an unlimited package.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

I remember when they didn't charge outrageous prices for a drink...a beer was around $2.25 + tip...and a mixed drink was in the $4 range...that's acceptable, when you're a "captive audience"...but $8-10 for a drink is simply gouging.  It's one thing when a ballpark or other entertainment venue does it...you're only there for a few hours....but when you are residing for a week and they are asking such prices....it's off-putting!

 

I stay in hotels for business trips.  Hotel bars are no different than ship prices.  

 

A few drinks watching a ball game in a hotel bar at night is easily $50.  Some hotels are pretty captive with nothing around them,  especially if you don't have a rental car.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, atush said:

ours went up today from 57 back to 61.  Why didnt you buy it at $52?

 

My theory is they have raised prices in advance of a LD sale.

Honestly, should have bought at $52, but when people post they get things for less, it's kind of a mind bender making the decision.  But, I can always just pay out of pocket, I like beers, but I won't drink 10+ per day.  Live and learn I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, NateUpNorth said:

 

That "dumb move" depends.

I know they'd make more profit from my family on two reasonable priced drink package than the drinks we purchase individually.

The real question is are there more like us, or more that will pay the higher cost regardless?

I’m like you. Even at 45/day, I don’t drink enough but the convenience is worth considering. At $59 it’s a no go and I’ll buy as I go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

 

It's not a "dumb move".  They'll still make money on your drink purchases, unless you intend to go teetotaler on your cruise.

Actually, I will now take 2 bottles of wine and my 12 waters that I would have used the drink package for, so in a way, they are losing out on people like me who will buy less product.  So, "dumb move" in my eyes.  Wasn't even thinking about bringing that stuff onboard earlier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dayman9966 said:

Honestly, should have bought at $52, but when people post they get things for less, it's kind of a mind bender making the decision.  But, I can always just pay out of pocket, I like beers, but I won't drink 10+ per day.  Live and learn I guess.

 

There used to be a beer/wine pkg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

25 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

 

There used to be a beer/wine pkg

 

Genuinely curious.... what made them discontinue this? And what was the pricing like? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NateUpNorth said:

 

 

Genuinely curious.... what made them discontinue this? And what was the pricing like? 

 

I don't recall. Seems like it was about $10 cheaper.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, NateUpNorth said:

 

 

Genuinely curious.... what made them discontinue this? And what was the pricing like? 

 

Royal has not publicly shared their rationale for for changing their beverage packages, but my assumption is that they felt they could make more money.

 

Attached is an old flyer.  Note that at this point in time, the prices included gratuity.

 

 

Royal Alcohol Beverage FAQ All Ships Web Nov 13_tcm16-27947[1].pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine went up from the "special" $57 to $61 for the Navigator in October and $61-$65 for the Harmony in January.  Here is my analogy:

 

I don't want to purchase the drink package at these prices, but on another note, my sister/brother in law just got off the Empress and said they had drinks that were $15!!  RC is forcing us to purchase their drink packages by raising their prices of cocktails to ridiculous prices, when in fact, they purchase the liquor in bulk and tax free!!  

 

I feel people are going to smuggle liquor again as a result of these ridicules high prices, granted, Celebrity is much more money for their drink package but they have a higher quality assortment to choose from including the wine!  The prices of wine went up with RC but the same not good wines remain on the list.  The cruise line may think they know every way people can smuggle but with the new products out there, there is no way the cruise line can keep up with all the options and "catch us"...I am not saying that I would smuggle, but people will with these prices.

 

I don't understand why we would want to purchase these drink packages at these prices so far in advance?  Why give them your money this soon?  On another note, if they offer great drinks package specials at a decent price now, that would make us purchase it now and the cruise line benefits by getting our money alot sooner before we take the cruise.  Lets see what the next two weeks come to with this drink package...as for me, I probably won't be purchasing it, I have my two bottles of wine, I will get a bottle or two from the casino and my other half gets free drinks in the casino, so in honesty, I probably not the only one thinking this way 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

After doing NCL, Carnival and now have my RCCL coming up. I think the limit for drink packages for myself is $75/day (including tip). I can easily spend that over the course of a happy hour. I've been lucky to this point to get them included or at a "reduced" rate. I don't "drink more" just because it's vacation.

Edited by JennyB1977

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To add salt to the wound my UK £'s buy fewer US $'s compared to a year ago!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...