Just when you think the drink package can't go higher....

My drink package price also went up for my December Anthem cruise. I noticed a lot of prices increased on Monday. It is RCCL getting ready for the Labor Day Sale...so they up the prices just so you think they are giving you a deal when they add the sale this weekend....lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

After doing NCL, Carnival and now have my RCCL coming up. I think the limit for drink packages for myself is $75/day (including tip). I can easily spend that over the course of a happy hour. I've been lucky to this point to get them included or at a "reduced" rate. I don't "drink more" just because it's vacation.

Agreed, but I'm a domestic, lite beer drinker, so my beers will be about $8 each.  If I were into the cocktails, hard drinks that are $15 each, then I would be okay paying the $60-65pp.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dayman9966 said:

Agreed, but I'm a domestic, lite beer drinker, so my beers will be about $8 each.  If I were into the cocktails, hard drinks that are $15 each, then I would be okay paying the $60-65pp.

Yeah, I like my "good" red wines and bourbons. Plus an occasional Belvedere  or Hangar 1 Martini.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Royal has not publicly shared their rationale for for changing their beverage packages, but my assumption is that they felt they could make more money.

Attached is an old flyer.  Note that at this point in time, the prices included gratuity.

Thanks for attaching that.

I only did one cruise when the beer/wine package was a thing.  Along with making more money it seemed to me stocking/storing the volume of beer they were going through was an issue.  Bottle of booze takes up a lot less space than a case of beer.

1 minute ago, Jarmo said:

Thanks for attaching that.

I only did one cruise when the beer/wine package was a thing.  Along with making more money it seemed to me stocking/storing the volume of beer they were going through was an issue.  Bottle of booze takes up a lot less space than a case of beer.

I would guess that the beer is more expensive for them than a cocktail.

52 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

RC is forcing us to purchase their drink packages by raising their prices of cocktails to ridiculous prices, when in fact, they purchase the liquor in bulk and tax free!!  

RC isn't forcing anyone to anything.  There's nothing that says you have to have ANY alcohol at all.  That is entirely your choice.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, NateUpNorth said:

That puts it darn near the $100 CAD vicinity.

In perspective - that's 25% more per day to DRINK on my cruise than my cost per person FOR the cruise.

just curious, what type of cabin do you have. I have not seen any cabins for less that $700 US

36 minutes ago, molsonschooner said:

just curious, what type of cabin do you have. I have not seen any cabins for less that $700 US

For our next cruise - inside black hole cave, KSF, Dec 2020. Looks like variations of it still available.

Averages out to approx $75 pp/per night CAD

To be fair, that's before pre-paying grats - But I digress....... ☺️

Capture.thumb.JPG.17fca6086a40e82c138811381a5f4805.JPG

Edited by NateUpNorth

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I never thought for one minute that the drink prices couldn't go higher. NCL charges $99 a day and other lines start at $60 and go higher. $49 is my limit and I was surprised that my 9 day cruise on the Anthem with more sea days than port days was that low. If they can get $1299 for few hours in a cabana, $65 for the drink package shouldn't be a problem. Someone has to pay for the $18 mistake.

$49/day is my limit too which is why I never even consider getting it on Princess where the lowest seems to be $60.  I'm not sure it's worth it for me even at $49 but I do get a latte and a couple of bottles of water daily, in addition to a couple of fancy drinks and wine/beer.  I probably break even at 49/day.  I'm going on NCL's Pride of America to Hawaii in January and as my perk, I chose the "free" drinks package which actually is costing me $138 for the gratuities. I'd never pay NCL's normal price of 99/day.  

24 minutes ago, MississippiMom said:

Here I sit . . . so very jealous that you even have the option to look at the beverage package prices.  RCCL still does not have beverage packages listed for our June 2020 cruise.

Interesting......... our December 2020 cruise is available in the cruise planner. 

1 minute ago, Crazy planning mom said:

My understanding is that you were allowed to bring in 2  bottles of wine per stateroom.  Has that rule changed? ....

No, not changed, you can still bring two bottles of wine per stateroom.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, NateUpNorth said:

Interesting......... our December 2020 cruise is available in the cruise planner. 

I even sent a message to RCCL asking when I would be able to purchase the beverage package, and I was told that it should be around 6 months before our June 2020 sailing.  (Which sounds like all kinds of WRONG to me.)

Here's what I currently see, when I am on the RCCL website and looking for beverage package prices:

Please try again onboard the ship.

Uh oh. It looks like you’re trying to reserve a product too far ahead or too close to your sail date. If you have several weeks to go, try reserving closer to your sail date. If you’re sailing soon, please try to reserve this product once you’re onboard

3 hours ago, MississippiMom said:

Here I sit . . . so very jealous that you even have the option to look at the beverage package prices.  RCCL still does not have beverage packages listed for our June 2020 cruise.

Weird... My Allure Dec 2020 cruise has them listed.