Interested in a cruise on the Queen Mary 2

TickleKat1

I'm interested in taking a cruise on the Cunard Queen Mary 2 sometime (with or without my Parents) but I'm wondering if it is like the the way the older classic ships were  divided by cabin class (first, second, third)  and their respective areas ie~ Titanic......or is it more like the modern cruise ships where anyone can pretty much go anywhere on the ship? 

Queen Mary 2 was designed to give the grand ocean liner experience to everyone whether they are staying in the most expensive suite or in the cheapest inside cabin. 

Everyone has access to about 98% of the ship.  All of the public rooms are open to everyone and the theatres don't rope off areas for suite guests.   When you are on deck or in one of the lounges nobody knows what kind of stateroom you booked.  "Grills" passengers have their own restaurants, a small section of an aft deck, and a conceirge and cocktail lounge.   These are all at the back of the ship except for the conceirge lounge which is in a place where a lot of first timers would never find it. 

Cunard is often maligned for having a "class system" yet so does almost every other ship along with airplanes and hotels.   Ironically the access on a Cunard ship is more democratic than on many lines where private cabanas and some pools are available only to those staying in their premium suites. 

• Like 5

BlueRiband explained it quite well.

THERE IS NO CLASS SYSTEM.

For some unknown reason, Cunard is often accused of having a class system. It simply has several levels of cabins which are paired with a restaurant to match.

As has been stated, it's just like aeroplanes, trains, good hotels, all of which have different levels of experience. Think first class, business and standard.

Stewart

• Like 2

We’ve never felt like second class citizens being in standard Britannia dining and the grills areas are barely noticeable. I’ve seen fans of other cruise lines including Disney criticise Cunard for this perceived system when ironically a Disney cruise costs about the same as a grills cruise on Cunard so they are paying for it anyway.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

For some unknown reason, Cunard is often accused of having a class system. It simply has several levels of cabins which are paired with a restaurant to match.

As has been stated, it's just like aeroplanes, trains, good hotels, all of which have different levels of experience. Think first class, business and standard.

Stewart

It's unbelievable this old chestnut ( class distinction on Cunard)  is still being flogged to death.

If one wants to see real class separation , one needs to look into MSC Yacht Club.  This onboard product is a ship within a ship.   

• Like 2

Hello TickleKat1, Hope you don't mind, I looked into one of your previous posts and noticed you mention your father likes a good 'Cigar after dinner' . Both you and he will be pleased to know Queen Mary 2 has a dedicated Cigar Smoking Room, adjacent to the Commodore club ( one of the most elegant 'evening venues' onboard the ship)   Available are some of the finest Cigars at sea, the wait staff  here have a wealth of experience in this field. 

There's really no other way to cruise than Sailing on the Queen Mary 2. 

Our next sailing will be our 27th and 20+ with Cunard.

The staff and crews are exceptional with the care and concern to make your sailing a memorable one.

We are not those interested in the larger ships that are now a days called Mega Ships.

We like to continue to follow the tradition of sailing like we did when we started on the Queen Elizabeth 2.

It is an experience like no other. And we have been blessed to have met many, many wonderful people

that we are still in contact with and sometime sail with again.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

There's really no other way to cruise than Sailing on the Queen Mary 2. 

Our next sailing will be our 27th and 20+ with Cunard.

The staff and crews are exceptional with the care and concern to make your sailing a memorable one.

We are not those interested in the larger ships that are now a days called Mega Ships.

We like to continue to follow the tradition of sailing like we did when we started on the Queen Elizabeth 2.

It is an experience like no other. And we have been blessed to have met many, many wonderful people

that we are still in contact with and sometime sail with again.

Is your next sailing westbound or eastbound?

We are looking at a TA this fall, we wanted to embark from Le Havre but that cruise is almost sold out.

Thanks for your responses... I think if I were to go in a direction I would want to go from Europe to The US... preferably Southampton to NY... of course minus hitting an iceberg. My Dad would be happy there would be a cigar bar for an after dinner cigar or a good anytime cigar. My Mom and I would hope the entertainment is good especially if there were a hypnotist show or the big “Broadway “ style shows. 

3 minutes ago, TickleKat1 said:

Thanks for your responses... I think if I were to go in a direction I would want to go from Europe to The US... preferably Southampton to NY... of course minus hitting an iceberg. My Dad would be happy there would be a cigar bar for an after dinner cigar or a good anytime cigar. My Mom and I would hope the entertainment is good especially if there were a hypnotist show or the big “Broadway “ style shows. 

Indeed, I think a Westbound crossing on the QM2 is the best experience at sea. 

I think you will have a wonderful time. I must confess, however, that the shows are the weakest of the offerings aboard. (Other areas of entertainment and enrichment are among the very best, with live music throughout the ship and world-class lecturers) Personally, I've found the production shows to often be best enjoyed for the unintentional humor. The troupe is inevitably spirited and usually better than the material they have been given. Of course these things are subjective. (I'm a huge Broadway fan, but would be happy to never hear anything from Phantom, Les Miz, Cats, or Mama Mia again, in spite of them being among the most popular, long-running shows ever)

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, TickleKat1 said:

I think if I were to go in a direction I would want to go from Europe to The US... preferably Southampton to NY... of course minus hitting an iceberg.

Quite right.  Westbound, you get 25 hour days instead of 23 hour days for the same fare.  Unlike Mark I loved the production shows but then I can't claim to have seen them again and again.

BTW, may I gently point out that it's generally agreed that Southampton to New York is not a cruise, it's a 'crossing'.

You will have the run of the ship and may never realize that some small part is blocked off for Queen's Grill.  This is not covered in the lifeboat drill but enquiring minds want to know:  what happens with that iceberg thing?  Is it Queen's Grill first, women and children next and goodbye patriarchy?

My Dad reminded me about the last stage  hypnotist show he went to on a cruise and ended up a volunteer with his feet completely covered with super industrial permanent markers up to his mid calves so of course he probably would avoid those shows and stay at the cigar lounge. There is a picture of what happened to my Dad’s feet posted somewhere here.🙄.  

5 hours ago, need2cruisesoon said:

Is your next sailing westbound or eastbound?

We are looking at a TA this fall, we wanted to embark from Le Havre but that cruise is almost sold out.

Sorry,

Next sailing isn't till middle of 2020 and will be a Eastern Coast cruise....

Sorry

2 hours ago, TickleKat1 said:

TickleKat1,

Though some people do have mixed opinions about the Royal Court evening shows, we always look forward to all the shows performed on board. Sometimes even viewing certain ones twice.

But what we look forward to especially is the great evenings in the Queens Room. Listening to the QM2 Big Band sound is so stirring.

And watching everyone letting their hair down in the G32 Disco. Late at night, the place is jumping.

Even cafe type of music in the different bars before settling in for the night is something to look forward to.

This trip on the Queen Mary 2 sounds like it could be a good option ... Transatlantic, New England, and Canada 30 Days.... too bad though it’s already underway but perhaps the same route might be offered again or something similar.

Edited by TickleKat1

16 minutes ago, TickleKat1 said:

This trip on the Queen Mary 2 sounds like it could be a good option ... Transatlantic, New England, and Canada 30 Days.... too bad though it’s already underway but perhaps the same route might be offered again or something similar.

TickleKat1,

We are doing the 4th of July 7 day sailing next year that we also have done a number of times in the past. It is in 2020 and goes to  Halifax, NS, Portland, Maine and Boston, Mass with some days at Sea. If thinking of NE/Canada, there are the Fall sailings even to  Quebec.

We did it once and it was a memorable sailing. Good Luck on your choosing a voyage....

10 hours ago, TickleKat1 said:

My Dad reminded me about the last stage  hypnotist show he went to on a cruise and ended up a volunteer with his feet completely covered with super industrial permanent markers up to his mid calves so of course he probably would avoid those shows and stay at the cigar lounge. There is a picture of what happened to my Dad’s feet posted somewhere here.🙄.  

I don't think you'll find a show like the one you describe above, on Cunard. I am prepared to be contradicted but I think that generally the Cunard entertainment is a little less rambunctious than the hypnotist and the markers. Different sort of thing.

Well I’m sure my Dad would be happy about there won’t be some crazy stage hypnotist show on the Cunard line ships ... but if you saw the picture of what happened to my Dad’s feet at the last hypnotist show ( on a different cruise line) wherever it is posted it is pretty funny especially for the other cruisers who saw that show. 

On 8/31/2019 at 4:25 AM, BigMac1953 said:

Stewart

Interesting bit of double-talk. Why would it make sense to “Think first class, business and standard.”  where “THERE IS NO CLASS SYSTEM”?

• Like 2

More to the point, I'm going on a group cruise on Royal Caribbean in October and when I looked up the bars and lounges on that ship and there were a couple that were only open to suite passngers. Cunard is no more divided into classes than that RCCL ship.

Edited by Underwatr

Yes TickleKat1, there is a Class System on the Queen Mary 2. It is a wonderful Class System that may possibly be unique to this great ship. It has nothing to do with restricted spaces or privileged entry. Instead, it is made up of, what I’ve identified as, three classes of passengers who sail on the Queen Mary 2 back and forth across the North Atlantic Ocean. 

The first class, who I find the most interesting and call “The Liners”, is made up of people for whom the QM2 is their mode of travel between U.S. and Europe/UK. For whatever reason, they have rejected air travel and have the time to spend eight days and seven nights reaffirming that how you get from Point A to Point B, the journey and what of make of it, is what matters. These are the people for whom ocean liners were built and hopefully will continue to be built. Whether occupying an inside cabin, balcony cabin or Grill’s suite, these folks all seem to have such a wonderful outlook on life and are so interesting to meet and get to know. Amazingly, this group of people can make up as much as a third of the passenger manifest.

The second class is made up of those passengers that I call, The Regulars. They love the Queen Mary 2 and it is like a second home. It is Point B to them and both the Ship and the crew have become old friends. This is a diverse group who, in some cases, spend their days reading in the library or, in other cases, burn the candle at both ends. They are happy whether traveling as a single, with a partner or as group. They may have made 10, 20 or even 30+ voyages on the QM2 and have this wonderful appreciation for their time on the Ship. My experience is that this group makes up about half of the passengers.

The third class are the “newbies” like my wife and myself. This is a first or second crossing (we have made two crossings and have another voyage booked) and we are still discovering what the Queen Mary 2 has to offer. In most cases we are in constant states of amazement and/or excitement. We have stepped into a world becoming increasingly rare, of formal nights, personal service and civility. Where people from all over the world, in all walks of life come together to become, for one week, a small community and a virtual speck on the vast ocean. We share tables with perfect strangers, make new acquaintances over pre-dinner cocktails and it seems that the best is drawn out of us. 

All three classes travel together rather well with the common denominators being enjoying glorious luxury, having truly unique experiences and creating lifelong memories. Yet each of these three classes of travelers add their own texture to the overall tapestry that reflects each crossing. Sometimes a class system isn't a bad thing!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 8/31/2019 at 4:35 PM, Fairgarth said:

You will have the run of the ship and may never realize that some small part is blocked off for Queen's Grill.  This is not covered in the lifeboat drill but enquiring minds want to know:  what happens with that iceberg thing?  Is it Queen's Grill first, women and children next and goodbye patriarchy?

On our Eastbound crossing, our lowly deck 6 Britannia inside cabin's muster station was inside the Princess Grill.😃

I agree that BlueRiband accurately described the life on board vis-a-vis the class system.  IMHO the issue is related to the marketing that Cunard does in which the Queens Grill and Princess Grill suites are sold as being upper class and very lah-dee-dah.  Other lines do provide exclusive perks for suite customers, but they do not market them as assertively as Cunard does.  just my opinion.

On 8/31/2019 at 10:37 PM, TickleKat1 said:

If you just want to make a transatlantic crossing, QM2 sails that route from late April to early January.  Cunard is the only line making these scheduled crossings while other lines only do "repositioning" crossings.  (EB in the spring to the Mediterranean and WB in the fall to the Caribbean.)

If you want to extend the trip into Canada, QM2 has a NY-Quebec-NY sailing in October.