Barrel Chairs and Tables on Grand Princess

mek

Was the removal of the barrel chairs and small tables in cabins fleet wide or are they still on some ships?  I'm sailing Friday on Grand Princess and would like to know if they were left on after the refurb.

Edited by mek

We just finished a cruise on the Pacific Princess which has a cozy love seat in balcony cabins.  While on board we met with the future cruise consultant and booked a future cruise on Caribbean Princess.  We decided to move up to a mini suite after she confirmed the removal of the barrel chairs was across the entire fleet.

36 minutes ago, mek said:

Was the removal of the barrel chairs and small tables in cabins fleet wide or are they still on some ships?  I'm sailing Friday on Grand Princess and would like to know if they were left on after the refurb.

I was just on Grand Princess in May.  We had a balcony.  No barrel chair but the small table is still there. 

I have a premium OV on the Lido deck, which is one of those cabins with the extra balcony space inside and a full length picture window.  We thought this would be perfect for a late season cruise to Alaska, but we like to play cards on our balcony, or in this case by the window.  Sounds like we will have to get something from another part of the ship, or if I can figure out how to bring a couple of folding chairs along that might work - they are the kind that collapse into a size that is a little larger than a fat umbrella.

Thanks for the responses.

9 minutes ago, mek said:

Sounds like we will have to get something from another part of the ship, or if I can figure out how to bring a couple of folding chairs along that might work - they are the kind that collapse into a size that is a little larger than a fat umbrella.

Thanks for the responses.

I cannot believe Princess does not know how ludicrous it is that passenger now have to haul furniture on to their ships to be comfortable in a cabin.....kind of like airlines asking passengers to bring seats to sit on an airplane or else they can stand.....

• Like 7

1 hour ago, PrincessLuver said:

I cannot believe Princess does not know how ludicrous it is that passenger now have to haul furniture on to their ships to be comfortable in a cabin.....kind of like airlines asking passengers to bring seats to sit on an airplane or else they can stand.....

That really is true.  There does need to be something to sit on besides the chair under the desk area. Every other cruise line, including Carnival, has a nice sofa/love seat that is perfect for relaxing, but Princess' cabins have always been on the small side. It's just too bad they removed the one decent chair.  If we were in a regular OV, then I know the cabin can be cramped with the barrel chair, but the one we are in has a ample amount of space and I want to sit by my huge window and enjoy the scenery.

My husband will have a fit if I tell him I'm dragging those chairs along, so I will probably end up trying to bribe my cabin steward into finding something that will work for us.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Just find a location other than your cabin to sit. There are loads of places that offer comfortable chairs throughout the ships.

In my underwear?  (That is a sight that you do not want to see.)😉  Sometimes I just like to sit comfortably and relax in the peace and quiet of my cabin.  Two fares, two passengers, two places to sit.  Doesn't seem too unreasonable to me.

Sorry, donaldsc, I stayed out of the first discussion, but I want a comfortable chair to sit in.  And a mini-suite is not the answer, been there, done that.  My wife and I are not getting any younger, and that tub is an accident waiting to happen climbing into, and out of.  It is even worse in rough weather.  As well as the cost, but that is none of anybody's business whether I can afford it or not!!

• Like 8

50 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Just find a location other than your cabin to sit. There are loads of places that offer comfortable chairs throughout the ships.

No as I prefer to sometimes sit in a quiet area that I choose.  Sorry but your suggestion is not viable or appreciated.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, aimee0715 said:

I did not ask for a chair.  I would not have even noticed that it was gone but for the people complaining about it on here.  

My wife noticed the millisecond we entered our balcony cabin on the Ruby Princess last April.

"Ooh, look at the extra space."

When we wanted a second chair, we just moved one in from the balcony.  When we were don with it, we moved it back onto the balcony and. voila, more floorspace.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Didn't we have a really long discussion on this topic not long ago.

DON

I realize there was a recent discussion but my question was specifically about Grand Princess.  I wasn't sure if that had been answered, so I asked again.

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

My husband is disabled - we spend more time in or cabin than we use to.  You can sit where ever you want but don't dictate to others what they should do.

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

My wife noticed the millisecond we entered our balcony cabin on the Ruby Princess last April.

"Ooh, look at the extra space."

When we wanted a second chair, we just moved one in from the balcony.  When we were don with it, we moved it back onto the balcony and. voila, more floorspace.

But we didn't book a balcony on this trip - mid September in Alaska - total waste of money IMHO.  People shouldn't have to book a balcony just to get a chair.

• Like 3