Please Turn off the music !

Ex-Airbalancer

Just off the Infinity TA 

Great cruise , but why do they need to play the canned music outside on deck 4 port side for the smokes 24/7! 
we were in the cabin on deck 6 and were not able to keep balcony door open over night as you can hear the music playing in the back ground 

I do not like Celebrity canned piped in music 

I did make a comment on the comment cards and at guest relation but all it did was to increase the volume 🙄

the music was not on the starboard side on deck 4 outside 

Also why are the nice lounge seats in smoking section but not in non smoking areas ?
On deck 4 outside on starboard side there no seating , I was told it was a safe issues to have seats there 🤔
why do they allow cigar smoking on board ? 
Mark

• Like 2

Well, you are asked not to leave your cabin door open, so not sure why this is a concern. 

Celebrity only has outdoor smoking areas. And yes, they do allow cigar smoking, so why not a comfortable place for people to sit. Next time, book a cabin on the other side.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

While I sympathize, keeping your balcony door open negatively effects the AC for a number of cabins around you and you are meant to keep it closed, day or night.

Seems an Airbalancer would know that. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Airbalancer said:

Just off the Infinity TA 

Great cruise , but why do they need to play the canned music outside on deck 4 port side for the smokes 24/7! 
we were in the cabin on deck 6 and were not able to keep balcony door open over night as you can hear the music playing in the back ground 

I did make a comment on the comment cards and at guest relation but all it did was to increase the volume 🙄

Also why are the nice lounge seats in smoking section but not in non smoking areas ?
On deck 4 outside on starboard side there no seating , I was told it was a safe issues to have seats there 🤔
Mark

To a certain extent I sympathize with your concerns regarding the music.  I agree the music should not be playing 24/7 for several reasons; however, leaving your balcony door open at night is also an issue.  Our preferred cabin location is across the stern as high as possible ....this causes us some issues, on occasion,  with the Sunset Bar when music is being played loudly late in the evening as we enjoy sitting out on the balcony before retiring for the night.  A quick call to guest relations usually addresses the concern, and the music usually ends by midnight. There is no valid reason to have music playing after midnight, unless the next day is a sea day.....

I can't address the issue of seating on deck 4 as I am a cigar smoker, and when on a "M" class I smoke at the Mast Bar on deck 11 (only place it is permitted). I guess X has a bit of compassion and allows us "persona non grata"s to enjoy the simple pleasures of life somewhere.  (Usually with a good(read as expensive) single malt).  At home I respect my dear wife's request and smoke outside, and she has corrupted my dog who also displays her displeasure by sitting on the far side of the patio giving me the evil eye until I put the cigar out...and then, only then will she come and lay down beside me and enjoy the evening sky and my music selection.

However, I have heard rumours that X is creating a new smoking area....ever hour on the hour they will lower a lifeboat and tow it behind the ship for 45 minutes .............

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

While I sympathize, keeping your balcony door open negatively effects the AC for a number of cabins around you and you are meant to keep it closed, day or night.

I have heard that is not correct. What you do with your balcony door has nothing to do with the AC in surrounding cabins.  You have obviously heard different or you know a lot about AC on a cruise ship.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Airbalancer said:

Just off the Infinity TA 

Mark

Celebrity request you keep your balcony door closed for your comfort. It is posted on your balcony door.  If whoever increased the volume you obviously didn't return to GS again and file another loud music complaint.  Pipe, vaping, cigar and cigarettes smoking are allowed only in the designated smoking areas. We're glad Celebrity doesn't allow any inside smoking. See there's a positive. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Husky61 said:

I have heard that is not correct. What you do with your balcony door has nothing to do with the AC in surrounding cabins.  You have obviously heard different or you know a lot about AC on a cruise ship.

Please don't take my word for it, but do read this post from a very well respected CC member who happens to be a Chief Engineer who has worked aboard ships for over 40 years and has an intimate knowledge of shipboard AC systems:

Chengkp75:

There are two different AC systems in use on the ship. One is like a window AC unit at home, that merely takes the cabin air and cools it while recirculating it back to the cabin. This is what is controlled by the cabin thermostat, and by the balcony door interlock, if fitted. This system is designed to recirculate 80% of the cabin's volume each hour.

The second AC system is the one that is affected by the balcony door being open, and that affects the cabins around yours when you leave the door open. This system is not controllable from the cabin, and can not be shut off. This system is designed to bring fresh air into the cabin, about 20% of the volume per hour, and is balanced by the bathroom exhaust vent, which removes about 20% per hour. This system takes outside fresh air, cools it in a large air handler (in those big white spaces down the middle of most cabin decks), and supplies this air to all of the cabins in a particular fire zone (between those pesky doors in the passageway) for one or two decks, meaning one fan and cooler handles 30-50 cabins. Now, this air is sent to the cabin at a higher pressure than normal HVAC systems, for one reason. This "overpressures" the cabins, forcing any leakage at the door to go out into the passageway, not the other way around. This prevents any possible smoke ingress to your cabin in an emergency.

Now, what happens when you open your balcony door? You replace the 2" diameter bathroom vent, and the 3/4" x 3' crack under the door that maintains the pressure balance in the cabin, with a 3' x 6' opening to outside. This immediately drops the cabin pressure to atmospheric, and the fresh air supply AC system sends all of the air to your cabin trying to rebuild the over pressure. This means that the other cabins lose much of their supply of fresh air (cooled), and also their overpressure safety feature, and now air is drawn back into their cabins from under the door, from the passageway (warmer). Therefore, the other cabins in the zone lose some of their AC capacity, and start getting warmer air supplied to the cabin.

How can you tell if this is happening? Real simple. I used to do it daily when I worked on cruise ships. You walk down the passageway, and listen for the air whistling under a door. 99 times out of 100, I would find the balcony door open in that cabin. Also, if it is your cabin with the door open, when you open the door to the passageway, you will create a wind tunnel, that blows everything out of your cabin. It doesn't do this when the balcony door is closed, so the door being open obviously has an effect on the AC balance in other areas than your cabin.

Your humble opinion may think it is BS, but I've worked on ships for 42 years as an engineer, 35 as Chief Engineer, and I have intimate knowledge of shipboard AC systems. Yes, there is a proven effect on others from having your balcony door open, and I've had to deal with it constantly over the years I worked cruise ships, when we would get whole banks of cabins complaining about their AC.

If you want to read the entirety of that thread, you can find it here: 

Edited by Fouremco
  • Like 5

19 minutes ago, Husky61 said:

There are decals on most balcony doors reminding pax to shut them.  I believe poster Chengkp75 (chief engineer) has addressed this issue of A/C and opened doors several times on various threads.  He offers the technical data that explains how works - here's one sample:

On 8/27/2019 at 6:24 PM, AmazedByCruising said:

My neighbours would be inconvenienced. 6 or 8 cabins are basically sharing the same AC. I know the answer for the current ships, but new ships are no different.

Hearing the waves, and smelling the sea while being gently rocked to sleep would be a very nice perk. Is it technically impossible, financially impossible? Would $2 extra per night for my very own AC,  $11K extra over the course of 15 years be enough to pay for it and keep it running?

It would be more like 30-50 cabins inconvenienced, not 6-8.

As I've explained to you before, this would require a motorized damper at each cabin on the fresh air ductwork that would shut off the fresh air supply when the balcony door is opened.  Then you would need a variable speed drive for the supply air fan, because when you shut a damper on one cabin, you increase the pressure to the rest of the cabins, so you would need to slow the fan down slightly when each damper is closed, and speed it up again, when a damper opens.  So, several thousand dampers (one for each cabin), 30-40 variable speed drive units in the 50-60kw range, and all the control system (wiring, pressure sensors, controllers), would probably run in the neighborhood of $300-400k in capital cost, and the addition of another Refrigeration Engineer at $40-50k per year to handle maintenance, plus parts.  Could the cruise line increase fares to cover this?  Sure, but they look at cost/reward, and say, why bother, the system works fine now.

And that's not even mentioning the maintenance costs of having warm, moist sea air in the cabins for extended periods causing corrosion to metal and swelling to wooden items.

2 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

Well, you are asked not to leave your cabin door open, so not sure why this is a concern. 

Celebrity only has outdoor smoking areas. And yes, they do allow cigar smoking, so why not a comfortable place for people to sit. Next time, book a cabin on the other side.

Port side is the sunny side on a TA 

the cigar smell from a person sitting by the pool by middle elevators on deck 10 will at times stink up the port side of deck 10 all the way to the pool bar 

10 minutes ago, Airbalancer said:

Leaving your balcony door would not cause anymore problems than the automatic doors already on the ship deck 10 🙄

They should just get rid of balcony doors and make all ships  like the Edge 😉

And you are an AC expert concerning cruise ships. 🙄Obviously it caused problems for you. Not all balconies on the edge are the infinite balconies. 

Edited by davekathy

2 minutes ago, Airbalancer said:

Leaving your balcony door would not cause anymore problems than the automatic doors already on the ship deck 10 🙄

Tthe cabin HVAC systems work differently to those in the public areas of the ship. The latter are designed with the automatic doors in mind, whereas the cabin system is designed around closed doors. I suggest you read this thread, in particular Post # 42:

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Airbalancer said:

the cigar smell from a person sitting by the pool by middle elevators on deck 10 will at times stink up the port side of deck 10 all the way to the pool bar 

I'll bet the cigar smoker would disagree with you. 

Sorry about loud outdoor speakers and smoking issues...but the open balc door are definitely a big problem

..  they create some type of air imbalance  resulting  in a  very loud whooshing , howling sound  that goes through the whole hallway and into other cabins . On one of our  cruises ,    mgmnt  knocked on every door  at night to  look for the open door...that's how bad it was.  If you are a victim..... all you can do is try to block the air with a blanket or towel at your  cabin door. 

please never leave the balc door open even a smidge!

• Like 1

Please don't take my word for it, but do read this post from a very well respected CC member who happens to be a Chief Engineer who has worked aboard ships for over 40 years and has an intimate knowledge of shipboard AC systems:

Chengkp75:

There are two different AC systems in use on the ship. One is like a window AC unit at home, that merely takes the cabin air and cools it while recirculating it back to the cabin. This is what is controlled by the cabin thermostat, and by the balcony door interlock, if fitted. This system is designed to recirculate 80% of the cabin's volume each hour.

The second AC system is the one that is affected by the balcony door being open, and that affects the cabins around yours when you leave the door open. This system is not controllable from the cabin, and can not be shut off. This system is designed to bring fresh air into the cabin, about 20% of the volume per hour, and is balanced by the bathroom exhaust vent, which removes about 20% per hour. This system takes outside fresh air, cools it in a large air handler (in those big white spaces down the middle of most cabin decks), and supplies this air to all of the cabins in a particular fire zone (between those pesky doors in the passageway) for one or two decks, meaning one fan and cooler handles 30-50 cabins. Now, this air is sent to the cabin at a higher pressure than normal HVAC systems, for one reason. This "overpressures" the cabins, forcing any leakage at the door to go out into the passageway, not the other way around. This prevents any possible smoke ingress to your cabin in an emergency.

Now, what happens when you open your balcony door? You replace the 2" diameter bathroom vent, and the 3/4" x 3' crack under the door that maintains the pressure balance in the cabin, with a 3' x 6' opening to outside. This immediately drops the cabin pressure to atmospheric, and the fresh air supply AC system sends all of the air to your cabin trying to rebuild the over pressure. This means that the other cabins lose much of their supply of fresh air (cooled), and also their overpressure safety feature, and now air is drawn back into their cabins from under the door, from the passageway (warmer). Therefore, the other cabins in the zone lose some of their AC capacity, and start getting warmer air supplied to the cabin.

How can you tell if this is happening? Real simple. I used to do it daily when I worked on cruise ships. You walk down the passageway, and listen for the air whistling under a door. 99 times out of 100, I would find the balcony door open in that cabin. Also, if it is your cabin with the door open, when you open the door to the passageway, you will create a wind tunnel, that blows everything out of your cabin. It doesn't do this when the balcony door is closed, so the door being open obviously has an effect on the AC balance in other areas than your cabin.

Your humble opinion may think it is BS, but I've worked on ships for 42 years as an engineer, 35 as Chief Engineer, and I have intimate knowledge of shipboard AC systems. Yes, there is a proven effect on others from having your balcony door open, and I've had to deal with it constantly over the years I worked cruise ships, when we would get whole banks of cabins complaining about their AC.

Thanks for the clarification.😃

3 hours ago, Airbalancer said:

I wouldn't say it would stink it up, however, it may produce a scent not appreciated by all.

Unless they have changed the designated cigar area since February......the cigar smoker should have been on deck 11 at the mast bar in an open area to dissipate the exquisite  aroma of a fine cigar.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Chengkp75:

As alway a great explanation by Cheng....a  true asset to Cruise Critic. Makes the technical stuff easier to follow....and hope folks take the advice to keep  balc doors closed!

• Like 3