Dress code disparity...

Mark_T

I see on the celebrity website the following for men's 'smart casual' : Pants or jeans with a short sleeve sport shirt.

Yet I've seen on a few posted copies of the onboard material a reference to 'long sleeve sport shirt' ...

So which is it?

image.png

Edited by Mark_T

I have seen the Celebrity Today printed saying long sleeves, however they'd be hard pressed to enforce that, since once on board passengers would have packed their clothing based upon the website guidelines. DH most often wears short sleeved collared shirts on Smart Casual nights as do most other men, and has never experienced so much as a raised eyebrow.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark_T said:

I see on the celebrity website the following for men's 'smart casual' : Pants or jeans with a short sleeve sport shirt.

Yet I've seen on a few posted copies of the onboard material a reference to 'long sleeve sport shirt' ...

So which is it?

Either is fine.

In the evenings you will see a mixture of both, and even some men wearing jackets of one kind or another; the entire spectrum of dress from extremely casual to formal.

For the women, just about anything goes.

The way the current dress code was described by the officers when it was first introduced, about 4 years ago, was for passengers to express their individuality and wear whatever makes them happy, not for everyone to dress alike.

Might the difference have something to do with the itinerary?  Long sleeves in the Caribbean would be daft - but short sleeves in Iceland or Norway might be more common?  DH wears long sleeves at all times so I hadn't really thought about it before.

• Like 1

The embarkation dailies on Reflection in November 2017 and Equinox in November 2018 both advised long sleeve shirts were needed for smart casual nights. Both these cruises were in the Caribbean, so it's not a location based statement. On neither cruise, the sleeve length was a consideration on admission to the MDR.

Why they make the statement is anyone's guess - maybe it's on the template for the daily and no-one within Celebrity has actually read it for a while.

The topic has been discussed on here a number of times previously, always with the same conclusion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hcat said:

We almost made it through a week without a dress code thead! Almost...

If I had seen someone else ask the same specific question I wouldn’t have posted.

This was about the disparity, rather than what is suitable under the code.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Explanation is simple, Celebrity in their dress code and many areas has for many years been consistently inconsistent.    In 27 years of sailing Celebrity, never had anyone say anything about wearing short sleeve shirts.    Another point that should be mentioned is how do they enforce something like this when based on all info before sailing you don't have to have long sleeve shirts.   You pack for what they tell you and then then they change it when you are on board, seriously doubt that will fly.  

Edited by dkjretired
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

Explanation is simple, Celebrity in their dress code and many areas has for many years been consistently inconsistent.    In 27 years of sailing Celebrity, never had anyone say anything about wearing short sleeve shirts.    Another point that should be mentioned is how do they enforce something like this when based on all info before sailing you don't have to have long sleeve shirts.   You pack for what they tell you and then then they change it when you are on board, seriously doubt that will fly.  

Agree. Another one that gets us is Celebrity posts on their website for seven night and longer cruises there will be two evening chic nights. But the ships we've been on that do true 14 night cruises publishes in their Celebrity Today three evening chic nights. 

3 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Agree. Another one that gets us is Celebrity posts on their website for seven night and longer cruises there will be two evening chic nights. But the ships we've been on that do true 14 night cruises publishes in their Celebrity Today three evening chic nights. 

Agree and for those who like to dress up they may not be prepared for three nights.

10 hours ago, Mark_T said:

I wonder why the ship version is 'incorrect' ?

Probably because they continue to cut & paste old text and no one has pointed out to them that there is new wording on the website that doesn't mention sleeve length at all, neither for smart casual nor for evening chic.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

Not expecting immediate changes across the fleet though 🙂

No, I wouldn’t hold your breath. There are that many mistakes on their website/IT/flyers you could point out that you’d need more than one cruise to get through them all 🤣.

5 hours ago, Mark_T said:

I'll take it as an action point to mention this to them whilst onboard in December.

4 hours ago, dkjretired said:

The problem is they don’t change these things for years.

It is scheduled to be updated during the next dry dock, along with other major changes such as transforming Michael’s Club, adding the Retreat sun deck, the Oceanview refurbishment and the new gastro-bar.

It’s not like these things can be updated by just pushing a "Print"  button. 😉

Edited by DirtyDawg

1 hour ago, DirtyDawg said:

It is scheduled to be updated during the next dry dock, along with other major changes such as transforming Michael’s Club, adding the Retreat sun deck, the Oceanview refurbishment and the new gastro-bar.

It’s not like these things can be updated by just pushing a "Print"  button. 😉

Its a sign that never should have been there in the first place since that has never been a rule of Celebrity.  You can easily change signs.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mark_T said:

I'll take it as an action point to mention this to them whilst onboard in December.

While you are at it could you ask if it is OK to wear shorts underneath slacks?  I'm getting some chaffing.  😀😀😀