Bean Counters vs Diamonds

seeyakids

10 hours ago, cruisinfromtampa said:

Same here.  We don't mind driving to PC, but we are loath to go to PE or Miami. 

A couple of my friends feel the same way. I like the drive, especially to PE since it is basically I75 all the way in (I know it changes to 595 but not really an exit) and I live 2 miles from 75.

Even though PC is closer, that drive on I4 sucks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikew0805 said:

A couple of my friends feel the same way. I like the drive, especially to PE since it is basically I75 all the way in (I know it changes to 595 but not really an exit) and I live 2 miles from 75.

Even though PC is closer, that drive on I4 sucks.

How is the ride/travel if you pick up the Turnpike in Wildwood?

16 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

At least with Celebrity, when you choose the alcohol package as a perk , you do not pay extra for the gratuities  On NCL if you choose the alcohol package  each person automatically gets charged gratuities for the value of the drink package 

Dan

Don't give Celebrity too much credit. They now charge an additional $14 pp a day for that free drink package. So on a 7 day cruise that's an additional $196. It's a charge not a gratuity.  There pricing structure is a mess right now. Some cruises you are paying more for the free perks included than if you would book and purchase them separately.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tulsacoker said:
13 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

his thread, is just a repeat of a many times a year topic.  

unlike tipping, chair hogs, dinner reservations threads , etc

Sometimes it's good to repeat a popular topic several times a year as new information becomes available and/or rules change.

Some day it might be okay to wear your bathrobe to the MDR on formal night, have your emotional support warthog guard your lounge chair  while you take a 4 hour nap, tipping becomes discouraged as to not spoil the employees and the Captain will keep the ship in port for as long as it takes for passengers to meander back from shopping or drinking at the local watering hole and who knows, maybe the ever-popular chocolate on the pillows may return.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

24 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Don't give Celebrity too much credit. They now charge an additional $14 pp a day for that free drink package. So on a 7 day cruise that's an additional $196. It's a charge not a gratuity.  There pricing structure is a mess right now. Some cruises you are paying more for the free perks included than if you would book and purchase them separately.

They've also fully embraced the "fake sale" mantra so beloved by RCL.

They truly are two lines under the same parent company!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

No they did not pay full price. You paid full price for them. If I could get points for all the cabins I have paid for while cruising with our kids I would be on my way to pinnacle. 

How do you know? Those kids could be trust fund babies, have a large inheritance, or possibly they have income from a medical settlement, child modeling or some other talent.  While the children were not able to enter into contracts at 8 years old, we have no way of knowing that parents didn't pay out of funds that are set aside for those children.  While not the most likely scenarios, it is possible that the children did "pay their own way" in some manner. 
Just saying, stranger things have happened.

34 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I always check to see what the price is if I were to purchase the items separately versus what they charge for the "free" perks. Often times it is less expensive just to book the room and pay for your extras separately.

56 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Not wanting to get to far off-topic, but the drink package "free perk" for $14 pp/pd,  isn't pretty much the same as buying a drink package for $14?  Because that is a great deal and proof that Royal did make money on the $18 drink snafu.

Or are there other restriction/conditions to obtaining this perk (booking a suite, certain C&A tier, etc?)

I did check the Celebrity website but figured it was quicker and easier to ask here.  Thinking about booking a Celebrity for my next cruise.

EDIT: and more importantly, do both people in the cabin need to buy the "free" perk?

Edited by HBE4

On 11/4/2019 at 11:46 AM, seeyakids said:

Just back from Harmony. Found out from very reliable source that all RCL cruises after 11/1/19 will have no overflow areas for the Diamond clubs. I was told that management is forcing diamonds to use their 3 drink vouchers elsewhere. Now diamonds know how quickly the Oasis class (as well as other ships) diamond clubs fill up. So, once that happens, do they allow people in as others leave? The next day my source emailed his concerns to Miami and he did say the new rule might be adjusted if the number of diamonds and above reaches a certain level on a cruise....but no guarantee.  This is another example of the loyalty perks being slowly stripped over the almighty profit line.

On a funnier note, my source says he is now on the lookout for a bullet-proof vest.

I'm sorry, but if you can't say who that "very reliable source" is and how you came about that information, I'm afraid that information is completely and utterly useless.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, compman9 said:

Why would the spouse not contribute?

If it's because they are a parent, I am sure they have done more than their fair share for the family 🙄

I think the person was making the point that taglovestocruise seems to believe that the only person who should get any points is the person who pays the bill.  Tag's point of view seems to be that if a stay at home spouse is not the breadwinner and not the one who "pays" for the trip, then neither spouse nor kids should get any points.  

What if the person paying for the cruise was paying for their parents and/or in-laws to go on a trip and those parents/in-laws had D, or D+, but the payor had just won the lottery or gotten a big promotion at work so they are celebrating?   According to Tag, the payor should get all of the points and no-one who was the beneficiary of the gift should get any other benefits.   Who cares that the parents/in-laws may have paid for many cruises throughout their lifetime lovingly and without expectation of glory, recognition or financial gain?

3 hours ago, compman9 said:

And still this thread continues...

It seems RCI passengers are the only people trying to take perks away

It's a good job I book with RCI, who have provided no evidence they want to take perks away

My point.  All of the armchair marketing and management gurus, who are going to fix RCI to their specification.

jc

2 minutes ago, rusty nut said:

I'm sorry, but if you can't say who that "very reliable source" is and how you came about that information, I'm afraid that information is completely and utterly useless.

Like the Diamond Concierge on our Radiance cruise in Alaska, who made the blanket announcement the first night in the overflowing Diamond lounge that it is RCI policy that there are no overflow rooms on any RCI ship at any time.  My initial thought was that is news.  Went on the Symphony TA two months later and it turns out he was sort of right, they didn’t have 1 overflow lounge, they had two.

There is nothing I find funnier than people who post that they have an insider telling them the way it is going to be on any topic in this forum.  

So when you post that in the future, know that when I read it this is what I am doing....😂🤣🙄

jc

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Not wanting to get to far off-topic, but the drink package "free perk" for $14 pp/pd,  isn't pretty much the same as buying a drink package for $14?  Because that is a great deal and proof that Royal did make money on the $18 drink snafu.

Or are there other restriction/conditions to obtaining this perk (booking a suite, certain C&A tier, etc?)

I did check the Celebrity website but figured it was quicker and easier to ask here.  Thinking about booking a Celebrity for my next cruise.

EDIT: and more importantly, do both people in the cabin need to buy the "free" perk?

Both people get the drink package or whatever 2 perks you pick. If purchased on board only one is required to buy the drink package which includes gratuity. You are not required to pay the additional $14pp. Check the price with and with out the perks. The difference in price can be quite large causing the passengers to actually be paying more than the perks are worth. Booking under the 2 perk option seems to be the only way to get a refundable deposit fare. There are exceptions to that as well. Plan on spending a good deal of time and make a spread sheet if booking with them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Plan on spending a good deal of time and make a spread sheet if booking with them.

Awesome! I love when buying something is a challenge. Keeps the mind sharp and much more rewarding than a crossword puzzle.

29 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

There is nothing I find funnier than people who post that they have an insider telling them the way it is going to be on any topic in this forum.  

So when you post that in the future, know that when I read it this is what I am doing....😂🤣🙄

But I've been quoting you as my "insider" information. 😋

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, legaljen1969 said:

How do you know? Those kids could be trust fund babies, have a large inheritance, or possibly they have income from a medical settlement, child modeling or some other talent.  While the children were not able to enter into contracts at 8 years old, we have no way of knowing that parents didn't pay out of funds that are set aside for those children.  While not the most likely scenarios, it is possible that the children did "pay their own way" in some manner. 
Just saying, stranger things have happened.

I believe that straw is still out of your reach. happy cruising

If Royal would change rules to allow kids to have parents' status during together cruise, but had a separate system with their own points and when they are  adults their status would depend on their real points this would reduce number of Diamonds.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

Sometimes it's good to repeat a popular topic several times a year as new information becomes available and/or rules change.

Some day it might be okay to wear your bathrobe to the MDR on formal night, have your emotional support warthog guard your lounge chair  while you take a 4 hour nap, tipping becomes discouraged as to not spoil the employees and the Captain will keep the ship in port for as long as it takes for passengers to meander back from shopping or drinking at the local watering hole and who knows, maybe the ever-popular chocolate on the pillows may return.

Now that made me Laugh....too funny! Loved it!

• Thanks 1

On 11/5/2019 at 3:41 AM, island lady said:

Of the cruises I have booked...90% involve a flight to somewhere other than my home state of Florida.  

I wish I didn't have to take a flight for any cruise.  So far it has been 100% that I have had to take a flight for a cruise.  In 5 years or so, I hope to be lucky like you folks and drive to a cruise port.

Until then I just have to fly to a port.  Such a rough life to fly to go on a cruise 😊

18 hours ago, mugtech said:

True, but every day on NCL is the all you can drink for $20 challenge as a result.  Non drinkers still help pay the difference.

I'm sure there is some of that.  However, when I price out NCL versus RCCL for roughly comparable ship, cabin and itinerary, I don't see NCL being higher in cost.  In the majority of cases seems to be lower.

17 hours ago, Seville2Cabo said:

I think celebrity just started charging a daily fee for beverage perk

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Sorry, I was thinking of the old way they did it, where if you booked a balcony or higher you got to choose at least two free perks with no upcharge.  When we did that on the Equinox we chose the $150pp onboard credit (which covered our gratuities, with extra to spare for other things like Sushi on 5), and the drink package (with no additional daily fee).  THAT was a great deal.

You are right, I forgot that they changed the perks.  Now any cabin level can purchase the perks but they definitely aren't free anymore.  I just priced out a 7 night cruise and to add the 2 perks is $499 per person (This also gets you the refundable deposit),  If you choose the alcohol package as an option it's an additional $16pp per day for that as well.  So in total if you want to get two perks, one of which is the alcohol package, it's an upcharge of $611 per person!  Terrible deal for us.

Dan

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rusty nut said:

sorry rusty, I will not name VRS....no sense in getting that person in trouble. Let me just say VRS is in a position to know all about DL and is likely in communication with corp. several times a day.

That's all I got for ya

1 hour ago, frank808 said:

I wish I didn't have to take a flight for any cruise.  So far it has been 100% that I have had to take a flight for a cruise.  In 5 years or so, I hope to be lucky like you folks and drive to a cruise port.

Until then I just have to fly to a port.  Such a rough life to fly to go on a cruise 😊

Hi Frank!  Aww...your home is a tropical heaven!!  🙂  

I just yesterday finished up the last leg of the Serenade 5/5/2021 11 night cruise.  Departing from your back yard and doing 5 ports in Hawaii before we head to Vancouver.  Join us!  All you have to do is just fly back home on that one...you can still drive to the port. 😉 

Edited by island lady

42 minutes ago, seeyakids said:

sorry rusty, I will not name VRS....no sense in getting that person in trouble. Let me just say VRS is in a position to know all about DL and is likely in communication with corp. several times a day.

That's all I got for ya

Person must not be in the loop with corporate.  Presidents cruise has Diamond overflow space and that cruise started on Nov. 2 2019.  

• Haha 2