Ocean Medallion Questions - Part 2

LauraS

2 hours ago, mellon1 said:

Wow, sorry if you took this as ridicule. 

It looked like ridicule when I read it but now with your explanation I think we can chalk it up to texting sometimes lacks the tone that was intended.  Merry Christmas! :classic_smile:

59 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

It looked like ridicule when I read it but now with your explanation I think we can chalk it up to texting sometimes lacks the tone that was intended.  Merry Christmas! :classic_smile:

Thus, why we don't text.  Trust me, we try not to look at what others do, but to focus on what we do.  Sometimes people judge, but we are no one to judge anything, as we have many faults of our own.  We cruise for us and focus on that, not on anyone else or what they are wearing, etc.  You can't control the world...it would be boring if we could and there would be no CC and I love this site!

• Like 2

On 12/9/2019 at 1:08 PM, san diego sue said:

The Medallian works just like a key card and to charge items on board. Why are people wanting a key card instead?I can understand if you have any implants.Is it a privacy issue?

The Medallion does work just like the previous key card in that it has information stored on it that is the same.  They feel that the Medallion somehow is a security risk when in fact it is just the opposite.  There is no issues that have been found that the medallion has any medical issues with implants.  It's just that some folks that don't take the time to understand something dream up a whole lot of demons to worry about instead of concentrating on why they are on the ship to begin with.

• Like 5

On 12/3/2019 at 8:00 AM, Doug R. said:

If you are Elite, I believe that you were directed to the Elite line by a non-Princess port employee who really had only one thing in their mind and that was "Elites go over here." 

We had a similar issue at FLL.  We finished check in and I asked for directions to the waiting area for suites.  The port person told us to "Sit over there".  I asked if that was the "Suites area" and was told everyone who isn't Elite sits there.  I asked for a supervisor who knew where the "suites area" was located.  All the person had been told was "Elites go there, everyone else over there."

Had a similar problem when port personnel told us we could only take two bottles of wine on board. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Grego said:

There is no issues that have been found that the medallion has any medical issues with implants.  

Do you have a medical implant?  See my earlier post on the note that Princess had on a small piece of paper with instructions about the medallion.  CAUTION: .....................................................

14 hours ago, Grego said:

The Medallion does work just like the previous key card in that it has information stored on it that is the same.  They feel that the Medallion somehow is a security risk when in fact it is just the opposite.  There is no issues that have been found that the medallion has any medical issues with implants.  It's just that some folks that don't take the time to understand something dream up a whole lot of demons to worry about instead of concentrating on why they are on the ship to begin with.

I plan to use the Medallion on my next cruise just to see what it is about.  I may keep it in a RF blocking key pouch and take it out when I want to use it or want family to be able to find me.  Or I may keep it hooked to my waistband the whole time.  As I see it, the Medallion and Ocean Medallion apps is a gimmick for the folks who feel the need to have their cell phone with them even on a cruise ship.  I don't see anything wrong with folks who don't want to take advantage of the gimmick and use what they are familiar with on their cruises.  And, I don't see anything wrong with the larger majority of people who will embrace and enjoy the Medallion Class experience.  To each their own way of enjoying their vacation.

11 hours ago, CarolRoy said:

Do you have a medical implant?  See my earlier post on the note that Princess had on a small piece of paper with instructions about the medallion.  CAUTION: .....................................................

Right, the medallion does have very small magnets to hold it in the various wrist straps and other methods. The paper they put out was to point out that it "could" affect certain devices so they could protect themselves and just the way it is. If you feel that the medallion is a danger, there are options available.  I'm happy to see your DH has that implant which has given him a the ability to enjoy hearing.

21 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I plan to use the Medallion on my next cruise just to see what it is about.  I may keep it in a RF blocking key pouch and take it out when I want to use it or want family to be able to find me.  Or I may keep it hooked to my waistband the whole time.  As I see it, the Medallion and Ocean Medallion apps is a gimmick for the folks who feel the need to have their cell phone with them even on a cruise ship.  I don't see anything wrong with folks who don't want to take advantage of the gimmick and use what they are familiar with on their cruises.  And, I don't see anything wrong with the larger majority of people who will embrace and enjoy the Medallion Class experience.  To each their own way of enjoying their vacation.

Just a note,  most cell phones are now cameras. I appreciate having a camera at the ready when I cruise. You never know when a great picture opportunity will appear. I also enjoy finding the info about activities and dining on my phone. This way I can leave the Patter in the cabin but still have the schedule with me. Happy cruising.

4 minutes ago, Mom33 said:

Just a note,  most cell phones are now cameras. I appreciate having a camera at the ready when I cruise. You never know when a great picture opportunity will appear. I also enjoy finding the info about activities and dining on my phone. This way I can leave the Patter in the cabin but still have the schedule with me. Happy cruising.

Your point is well taken.  As far as enjoying info about activities and dining on your phone, this is exactly what I meant when I said it's good for those people who embrace and enjoy the Medallion experience.  The important thing is what you just wrote: "Happy Cruising..."

On 12/12/2019 at 8:51 PM, Daniel A said:

a gimmick for the folks who feel the need to have their cell phone with them even on a cruise ship.

When there are parents back home closing in on age 100 , "folks" need to be available 24/7.  And some do conduct business at times while on a cruise ship.  It allows adults to provide a vacation for the kids and still be in touch for emergencies.

We've always used Cellular At Sea which cost us nothing with Princess.  (Cost is just pay-as-you-go with Verizon -- do-able and not outrageously expensive if phone settings are tweaked correctly.)  Now we're not sure if Cellular At Sea is available on Medallion ships -- we get opposing answers from Princess representatives. Half of them have told us CAS is on Sky; others say it isn't, and that you MUST pay for unlimited internet.  (Not real happy about that!)

We are on our first Medallion cruise in January b2b on the sky.  I've filled out the ocean ready and all is green check except the last box as we cannot get the medallions sent to a Canadian address.  Should I print the boarding passes anyway and are they required for both weeks?

Thanks  

44 minutes ago, Yukonbear said:

We are on our first Medallion cruise in January b2b on the sky.  I've filled out the ocean ready and all is green check except the last box as we cannot get the medallions sent to a Canadian address.  Should I print the boarding passes anyway and are they required for both weeks?

Thanks  

I'm getting medallions shipped to me and I printed the boarding passes just as a backup.  I really, really want to get onto that ship!!!  :classic_biggrin:

I read on another thread that another Canadian had the medallions sent to the hotel they stayed in the night before the cruise.  If you plan to stay in Ft Lauderdale the night before your cruise that may be an option for you as well.

8 hours ago, ecs66 said:

When there are parents back home closing in on age 100 , "folks" need to be available 24/7.  And some do conduct business at times while on a cruise ship.  It allows adults to provide a vacation for the kids and still be in touch for emergencies.

We've always used Cellular At Sea which cost us nothing with Princess.  (Cost is just pay-as-you-go with Verizon -- do-able and not outrageously expensive if phone settings are tweaked correctly.)  Now we're not sure if Cellular At Sea is available on Medallion ships -- we get opposing answers from Princess representatives. Half of them have told us CAS is on Sky; others say it isn't, and that you MUST pay for unlimited internet.  (Not real happy about that!)

My last two cruises have been on ships that had Medallion class and Cellular at Sea did not appear to be working. For many parts of the cruise my phone just said "no service". I only received service again either when in port or we were close to land.

I had an unlimited internet package so family just Skyped or Google Duo me.  

10 hours ago, ecs66 said:

I had to call into work a few times from the ship.  I get that there are folks who want or need to have telephone access.  But needing the phone with you because of your aged parents or needing to conduct business doesn't mean having access to the gaming tables from anywhere on the ship or having drinks delivered to your lounge chair or having constant knowledge of your spouse's whereabouts is also a part of that necessity.  But even so, for those who enjoy those options good for them too.  I like Budweiser, doesn't mean someone else is wrong for preferring Coors Light.  I am in no way denigrating them.  I do get a hint of denigration from some who refer to the people who prefer to use the cruise card and not the medallion though.  I don't understand why they even care.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I'm getting medallions shipped to me and I printed the boarding passes just as a backup.  I really, really want to get onto that ship!!!  :classic_biggrin:

I read on another thread that another Canadian had the medallions sent to the hotel they stayed in the night before the cruise.  If you plan to stay in Ft Lauderdale the night before your cruise that may be an option for you as well.

We are staying at an Airbnb in FLL so no such luck.  I'll just pick up at the port.

5 hours ago, Daniel A said:

having access to the gaming tables from anywhere on the ship or having drinks delivered to your lounge chair or having constant knowledge of your spouse's whereabouts is also a part of that necessity. 

Right.  I can't see us utilizing any of those options.  But, as you said, each to his own.  Cruising definitely has changed over the last 30 years, hasn't it?

• Like 1

Just off the Regal on Dec 8th and FWIW the Medallion worked fine. We did not have ours shipped to us but picked up our Medallions at the Ft Lauderdale pier. Our boarding experience was the best as this was our 13th Princess cruise.

No problem using Ocean Compass either. Internet speed was fine and watched my local news on my IPhone using my slingbox.

Not sure why so many are complaining?

Howard

• Like 2

So I’ve got an iPhone, downloaded the app, entered my information, but not any luck after that.  First go around I didn’t link my booking and every time I clicked on get ocean ready it gave me an error.  I deleted the app, Reloaded it and am trying to now Enter with my booking number and it says there is a problem with the servers.  Called Princess, they gave me the troubleshooting number of 844-525-0942.  17 minutes with them and no luck.  Says someone will call me.  Implied they have problems. 

Any advice from here or just let it play out?

cruise is in 19 days

Edited by exbiologist

Okay, okay, you have convinced me to try the Medallion on an upcoming B2B2B.  

First of all, I don't embrace technology just for technology's sake. It has to serve me and not the other way around.  That being said, I guess a lot of the earlier bugs with the app have been worked out. After following this thread I was prepared with what I would need to load into the app to be Ocean Ready.   I installed the Medallion app from Google Play and then was able to load all of my info and get all green circles fairly quickly.  It took about a 45 minutes from start to finish.  All three cruises showed up.  The only glitches I noticed is that I was never able to scan my passport - it kept telling me to scan in this position or to avoid glare.  The second was that once I logged out, the Medallion app seemed to take over the screen on my phone and I couldn't get back to my home screen no matter what I tried.  I finally just restarted the phone.

Now, back to technology serving me.  I don't really see the value of the Medallion for the way we cruise.  I don't need my door to unlock as I approach, I  keep my phone in my pockets for taking photos, I don't need shop clerks greeting me by name when they don't really know me,  I don't need to stay connected every minute nor do I need to stream TV or movies on our phones to stay entertained.  I don't need my  photo to be posted outside my door or follow me around the ship - so I uploaded my skull and crossbones avatar that I use here.

I may just get a cruise card from the guest relations and stick the Medallion in the safe.  Time will tell.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

I don't really see the value of the Medallion for the way we cruise.

you can use the Medallion app to order here and now … maybe that's where you can order your beloved barrel chair … 🥃

and your first drink is free, at least is was a couple of weeks ago when using the app

• Like 1
  • Haha 1