Favorite MDR appetizer/entree/dessert?

havanadaydreaming

I usually like the soups a lot - french onion, tomato basil, mushroom, etc.  I haven't ever ordered an entree that i just had to have again.  It's all banquet food made for the masses so it's not all that great for me. 

Cruising is a cheap vacation so I don't expect to have even 3 star food, much less fine dining.

I don't have a sweet tooth so I can't speak on desserts.  I did like the chimichuri that came with the steak & eggs at sea day brunch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kermarkim said:

MDR never disappoints me.  I have 3 cruises on Carnival booked for 2020.

Ditto.  3 in 2020 and the Vista in just over 3 weeks. Love the spring rolls and looking forward to trying the oysters and....what is this Beef Wellington thingy?  I've never seen Wellington on the menu before. Is this an 8 day+ exclusive? We'll be 8 day on the Freedom in April 20. 🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Oh...Is that how you get that? I have my first 8-day next summer. I need to know which night it is so I don't book a specialty restaurant.

I’m trying to figure that out now. Zydeco cruiser is on an 8 day right now. Ready to see his menu pictures! 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, MeganGC1983 said:

I’m trying to figure that out now. Zydeco cruiser is on an 8 day right now. Ready to see his menu pictures! 

I didn't think he was updating his website very frequently nowadays. Where did you read this?

Appetizers:  Chilled Peach soup, strawberry soup, shrimp cocktail (or shrimp in any form);

Mains:  surprising to me but the lasagna is terrific, shrimp (in any form), fish, the Formal night beef choices;

Desserts:  Grand Marnier souffle, (room service) chocolate cake or various MDR versions, fruit plate

1 hour ago, Out of Iowa said:

Appetizers:  Chilled Peach soup, strawberry soup, shrimp cocktail (or shrimp in any form);

Mains:  surprising to me but the lasagna is terrific, shrimp (in any form), fish, the Formal night beef choices;

Desserts:  Grand Marnier souffle, (room service) chocolate cake or various MDR versions, fruit plate

Good choices! I had forgotten about the peach and strawberry soup. Very tasty! And the meat lasagna was a pleasant surprise! Delicious. I went away less than thrilled about the prime rib on formal night. It was next to raw, and I only ate about half of it. Wife didn't like what she ordered too. After dinner we went to pizza place and had some pretty good pizza to finish our dinner.

1 hour ago, MeganGC1983 said:

On his social media page. That popular book place, we can’t mention. 

Thank you. I will be checking there too. We will be doing an 8 day next year. I love his website. I wish he would continue to update it.

• Like 2

While I've enjoyed many items, the ones that I look forward to the most from the regular menu are the fried shrimp appetizer and the Indian vegetarian entree. I also enjoy trying the port of call items. Dessert for me is usually the fruit plate and sometimes with some ice cream. 

7 hours ago, AAAAmerican said:

Starter:

TART fRUIT sHERBERTTS

Appy:

Any chilled soup served in a tall glass

Mains:

Maine Lobsters, real Filet, Canadian Lobster

Desserts:

Souflee, Cheese plates with the better fromages..,

I've never seen them serve the chilled soups in a tall glass! That sounds neat!

• Thanks 1

On 11/16/2019 at 9:22 AM, Shaded Lady said:

I've never seen them serve the chilled soups in a tall glass! That sounds neat!

Dear Shaded Lady,

Ask your server , they do it. 🤠

Edited by AAAAmerican

18 hours ago, AAAAmerican said:

Dear Shaded Lady,

Ask your server , they do it. 🤠

I've read this tip to get it served in a glass before so I asked about it on Carnival Dream in July. The server told me that if they put the amount in the bowl in a glass, it would only fill it a little way. He said they would have to put several bowls in a glass to make it look like a serving and asked if I wanted that much. I really didn't and since I've never seen the glass they would use to argue the point,  I said no.

On 11/18/2019 at 7:41 PM, Ideb said:

I've read this tip to get it served in a glass before so I asked about it on Carnival Dream in July. The server told me that if they put the amount in the bowl in a glass, it would only fill it a little way. He said they would have to put several bowls in a glass to make it look like a serving and asked if I wanted that much. I really didn't and since I've never seen the glass they would use to argue the point,  I said no.

Dear ideb,

Yes the Dream is a nice vessel.

Servers are now kinda like the foods served .. IMHO very subjective unless the HotMan (Hotel Manager ) manages hands on.

On the Cold Soups served in a glass having the same volume or less than a bowl equates.

I wager the server you had asked did not want to bother putting the cold soup to be served ina glass.

Many cruise lines do it without asking.

I guess the days of serving on wooden planks on ships and land were a similar scenario..

IMHO it looks so much better in a  glass and elegant.

They used to have full orchestras too..

Edited by AAAAmerican