Holland America Sucks!

mcirv

Just now, PatsyAnne said:

The OP said, “The agency that I used told me that they would take HAL off of their website if they could because of poor customer service but have to keep it to service some of their other customers, but they no longer actively market them. I refused to take a product that I didn't want or pay for.”  

On my last cruise, the offer for Club Orange came through my TA; I think the OP’s TA would have explained the risk and the OP’s anger is definitely misplaced.

You can use a TA and still have an interline rate 😉. I know, I did. 😉

I highly suspect the person at the agency said whatever suited the OP to get them off their back knowing the deal they had.  I don’t believe the TA’s get commission on those rates, actually or, if they do, they are so nominal it is not worth the effort.

I agree.  Club Orange is an offer.  No one twists your arm and many people decline it.  If the OP opted to take it, it was their choice.

Guys,

I'm not comfortable with the way that some people are piling on the OP. His choice of words in the title might have been provocative. But, I would hope that we can look past his mistake.

We don't have the full facts of the matter. So, let's not jump to conclusions.

We are not involved in the legal situation between the company and the OP. So, let's take this as a lesson. Passengers with interline fares have many restrictions.

In any case, any passenger should be treated with equal respect (in terms of equity) by the company. Regardless of whether you are a full fare passenger, an interline traveler, or someone who buys a last-minute deal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

n any case, any passenger should be treated with equal respect (in terms of equity) by the company. Regardless of whether you are a full fare passenger, an interline traveler, or someone who buys a last-minute deal.

On the other hand, we only have OPs statement as to how they were treated.  If OP used a TA, then HAL wouldn't even be talking to OP about any refunds.  Maybe that's the issue, HAL said, you need to talk to your TA, and OP just wants HAL to refund the upgraded portion of the reservation and doesn't want to deal with the intermediary.  

8 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

On the other hand, we only have OPs statement as to how they were treated.  If OP used a TA, then HAL wouldn't even be talking to OP about any refunds.  Maybe that's the issue, HAL said, you need to talk to your TA, and OP just wants HAL to refund the upgraded portion of the reservation and doesn't want to deal with the intermediary.  

Are you speculating or guessing?

Edited by HappyInVan
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Petronillus said:

Very interesting dynamic going on with this thread.

Like many others here, I have never previously heard of an "interline" rate. It sounds like a special deal that is available only to travel-industry insiders (kind of like flying on stand-by?), that comes with certain restrictions and risks, and that the insiders are expected to keep a low profile about.

You're not alone.  It's a whole new term to me as well.  I looked up HAL's interline regs and it looks like it's offered on select sailings to persons in the airline business as well as UPS, etc.  Here's a site that breaks it down by carrier.  I'm not sure how accurate it is because, again, it's a new term to me.

https://www.absea.com/html/qualifying.cfm

52 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

Guys,

Huh?  Guys?  There’s no ladies on the forum? You better talk to RBG 🙂 

We don't have the full facts of the matter. So, let's not jump to conclusions.

You’re absolutely right - the OP has given us his/her chosen facts.  We don’t have both sides of the matter.  But, I for one know how interline works and the OP’s complaints for the most part have no merit under the terms of the agreement for the low fare.

In any case, any passenger should be treated with equal respect (in terms of equity) by the company. Regardless of whether you are a full fare passenger, an interline traveler, or someone who buys a last-minute deal.

Sorry, but the interline rules are very clear.  Passengers are treated respectfully on board but the rules for cabin changes  -or  even if you can get on the sailing are very clear.  

I was very fortunate once to have an interline booking and believe me, there are clear quantitative conditions.  We happily abided by them and had a great cruise, and I will be forever grateful to my TA who gave us that nice deal.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kazu said:

Yup, if they are caught being vocal, they are done like a dinner if the terms remain as I remember them 😉 

If HAL really wanted to figure out who they are based on the info given I bet they could.

There was a CC member some 8 or so years ago who was identified and contacted by HAL regarding a comment on an upcoming cruise. IIRC She had a relative who would be sailing with her who had significant cognitive challenges and a penchant for wandering...

Edited by TiogaCruiser

8 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

True that, and wear a jacket and tie, and always count who you perceived to be other "non-revs" hanging near the boarding gate to try to figure out who was left in front of you, and how many seats were left. "Fun" times but those bennies were great as were the heated cashews flying 1st class to HNL! :classic_smile: 

Oh yeah, best behavior, never tell anyone you were non-rev, suit and tie for my dad, nice dresses and shoes for my mom and me. Back in the 1950s when the planes were still pretty small, my mom would stand by the door and count passengers boarding. She always knew before the gate agent called our name.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, kazu said:

Huh?  Guys?  There’s no ladies on the forum? You better talk to RBG🙂

Or just check a modern dictionary:

guy (gī) n.

1. Informal A man; a fellow.
2. guys Informal Persons of either sex.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

17 hours ago, mcirv said:

There was the same cruise 2cweeks later and the full fare was $400 cheaper per person. I have interlined many years and have been bumped, but never treated like this. I enjoy the benefits but if a company is going to do this they should not even offer the discount.

The price of a cruise two weeks later has absolutely no bearing on the price of your cruise. Why didn’t you book it?  You chose an earlier departure for your discounted interline rate.

Like others here, I also worked in the travel industry for years and enjoyed interline rates many times. Everybody knew the rules and abided by them to get the significant discounts.

I have no sympathy for somebody who joins an online forum specifically to make a cruise line look bad - but conveniently omits the fact that it was an interline fare (until someone probed).

• Like 9

21 hours ago, mcirv said:

I wrote to the President of Holland America and Carnival

6 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

If HAL really wanted to figure out who they are based on the info given I bet they could.

No effort required.  They’ve already told them^^.

• Like 1

I work for an airline so I qualify for interline rates. Unfortunately, the days of dressing your best to non-rev on a flight are long gone, as airlines have relaxed the dress code. You’re still expected to behave appropriately and not draw attention to yourself or the fact that you’re traveling as a non-rev, but people don’t even follow these rules anymore. I’ve seen people non-reviving in torn pants, basketball jerseys, and flip flops with white socks sitting in first class even internationally, bragging about not paying for the seat because they are airline employees. 

The last time we non-revved, we even witnessed a woman (wearing pajama pants and a sweatshirt and carrying a paper shopping bag as her carry on ) cause a scene at the gate when an upgrade went to another employee who had used a special higher priority code than hers. She started screaming at the gate agent, laced with profanity, because she believed that she should’ve received the upgrade because she was a more senior employee. That she wasn’t denied boarding is still something that baffles me, but that kind of behavior is something that I see more and more frequently these days. She sat behind me on the plane and I could hear her complaining to her seat mate, throwing F bombs left and right. 

Going back to the topic at hand, I’ve taken advantage of interline rates to cruise frequently. Even with the terms and conditions as someone posted, I’ve never been bumped off a cruise. But I’m also selective about the way that I use interline rates. There are some that are deeply discounted and which do pose the possibility of being bumped, but then there are some that offer less of a discount but which offer a confirmed stateroom with no bump risk. If I’m taking a cheapie Caribbean cruise, I’ll take my chances, but if I’m traveling halfway around the world for a longer cruise, I won’t take any chances for the sake of a discount.

There are also times when I’ve learned that some TA’s offer a better regular discount than the interline rate, so I’ll book that way. The times I’ve sailed on Holland America, I’ve never used an interline rate because of this. 

I understand the OP’s frustration, and while the way that the initial post was written may be off putting to many, it raises some important and cautionary lessons about the way the booking was handled and why.  Maybe the OP should’ve informed themselves a bit better before booking a deeply discounted airline employee rate, and the consequences of taking it upon themselves to cancel the cruise out of frustration. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 6

13 hours ago, VennDiagram said:

I read the OP's comment to mean that one of the perks obtained through purchasing Club Orange was an upgraded room (which is one of the benefits of CO, I recall).  I have not experienced CO, but from comments I have read, it seems that CO participation is capacity controlled.  Since the OP refused to sail, I can understand why HAL would refuse a refund on a capacity-controlled offer the OP purchased.  The OP's purchase denied HAL the opportunity to sell that CO "spot" to someone else.

I agree. It sounds to me like OP bought CO in order to get the upgrade. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, regnig said:

Now I will admit it was years ago but when I was an airline employee the first rule we were told about was DO NOT TALK about interline fares and discounts.  The second rule was that nothing was guaranteed.  We could be asked to get up and deplane as there was a full paying customer that needed our seat and smile while you did so.  When it came to interline cruises one could pack their bags, head to a pier and find themselves still there as the ship pulled away.  It's a shame the OP doesn't appreciate the opportunity he/she has, take advantage of when he/she can and keep his/her mouth shut.

How well I remember sliding as far down in the seat as I could and holding a magazine in front of my face thinking "please don't see me" 😁 

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, frankc98376 said:

How well I remember sliding as far down in the seat as I could and holding a magazine in front of my face thinking "please don't see me" 😁 

Ha..to this day I hate making eye contact when the gate agent boards the plane before securing the door! Nothing worse than getting pulled at the last minute from the plane. Oh the joys of non rev travel. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frankc98376 said:

41 minutes ago, freestyling said:

Ha..to this day I hate making eye contact when the gate agent boards the plane before securing the door! Nothing worse than getting pulled at the last minute from the plane. Oh the joys of non rev travel. 

Yep, been there done that.  I was fortunate that my job, for a period of time,  gave me the ability to see in advance the "actual" number of bookings compared to the actual number of seats on any flight sometimes causing a change of plans on my part.  When I changed job positions within the company that capability was never taken away from me and so I retained a slight edge.

On 11/26/2019 at 9:40 AM, SilvertoGold said:

Interesting. 

Did you book yourself online or through a travel agency?

How did HAL "talk you into" the Club Orange upgrade? 

I have a hard time following this description of your cabin assignments, so if you could give the ship and cabin numbers, it would help my understanding of this. Balcony to porthole?

I booked a discounted fare through an agency and told by HAL that a cabin would be assigned

What some of you don't seem to understand is that I was ok with the the chance of a downgrade. The problem that I had is that I originally booked a Veranda. I was later assigned a room on level 4 and then talked into joining their club orange which among other things included an (upgrade) to a better Veranda location.  When i was downgraded 6 days before departure, I was not offered a refund on the club orange or the difference in the fare of the Veranda to the Ocean view.  I don't care who you are or what fare you paid be it Industry, Military, AARP, or any other discount. You should at least get the difference of the fare paid. Nothing was offered!  I was only told by the Manager that "I'm sorry but that is the best we can do." After much complaining on the way it was handled, I was called on day we were supposed to fly to New Zealand and told that if I wanted to go I could and have the Veranda that I originally booked. When I asked about the "Oversale" I was told that they weren't really oversold.  That tells me that it is a game they play because most people will continue with the downgraded room and take the trip. Had I been offered the compensation originally, I would have continued with the trip.  I could have saved about $800 on the cruise and booked 2 weeks later and paid full fare for the same room.  This is why I believe Holland America Sucks!

• Like 1