5 Star perks?

DaveOKC

We both just made 5 Star today and were wondering how the perks worked (and if we are missing any).

First, the 2 free Pinnacle Dinners (pp).  I assume you just book them once onboard and tell them we are 5 Star when booking?

Second, free day pass at the Thermal Spa - do we just walk up and book it the day we want to use it or are the days restricted?  How exactly does this work?

Third, how does the $30 Internet credit work?  Only on certain package or ???

Fourth, I though that there was some sort of special cooking class?  Not seeing it on the HAL website.....

Anything else???

Not too excited about FINALLY making 5 Star!

• Like 5

Congrats.

PG- your correct. Make your 2 bookings on board 

Spa - we just walk up and request our free day. We usually don’t ask for a sea day as we figure the thermal chairs would be hard to secure

internet- yep, $30 credit provided for whatever package you use

You use to get priority for the cooking classes. guess it’s gone now?

Edited by freestyling

Just book the Pinnacle: they will/should know you are 5 star.  You can of course mention it on booking and on leaving.  However....keep an eye on your statement as they often forget.  That happened to us four cruises straight, usually 50% off instead of complimentary.

Cooking class is by invitation and RSVP.  Not sure if they are doing this anymore.  They were in September, but now.....?

Some ships give a few extras, too.

Congratulations.  We've loved this since it started and hope you will enjoy.

Edited by SilvertoGold

I asked the Mariner society about the cooking classes since HAL and ATK are not renewing their agreement - this is the response I received.

Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line regarding the ATK cooking class/demonstration and documents for your upcoming Grand Voyage January 5, 2020 onboard Volendam.

A replacement for the ATK cooking class/demonstration Mariner benefit has not yet been decided and unfortunately we do not have an estimated time frame for a new benefit to be introduced.  We sincerely apologize for the disappointment this may cause and we appreciate your patience and understanding.

Please know that we feel a very special appreciation for our valued Mariners, and input from our guests is utilized in revamping our Mariner Society to provide more tangible benefits for our program.  We welcome any suggestions and would be happy to forward them to our Management team for consideration.

I sent an email back asking if we would be getting any other benefit to replace the cooking class - waiting for a response.

9 minutes ago, iflyrc5 said:

I asked the Mariner society about the cooking classes since HAL and ATK are not renewing their agreement - this is the response I received.

Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line regarding the ATK cooking class/demonstration and documents for your upcoming Grand Voyage January 5, 2020 onboard Volendam.

A replacement for the ATK cooking class/demonstration Mariner benefit has not yet been decided and unfortunately we do not have an estimated time frame for a new benefit to be introduced.  We sincerely apologize for the disappointment this may cause and we appreciate your patience and understanding.

Please know that we feel a very special appreciation for our valued Mariners, and input from our guests is utilized in revamping our Mariner Society to provide more tangible benefits for our program.  We welcome any suggestions and would be happy to forward them to our Management team for consideration.

I sent an email back asking if we would be getting any other benefit to replace the cooking class - waiting for a response.

Thank you for doing this and posting the reply.  Would be nice to know if you hear back!

17 minutes ago, iflyrc5 said:

Thanks for this information.

I've always thought it was unfair to give credit per booking number rather than actual sailing days.  Why, for instance, would you get $30 internet credit for a 7 day cruise and the same for a 120 day world cruise?  Shouldn't it be so much per diem?

Edited by St Pete Cruiser
Added word
  • Like 2

I would be happy with the 2 pp complimentary Pinnacle dinners, plus 1 complimentary Tamarind dinner or Canaletto dinner or Pinnacle lunch.

However, OBC would be my first pick:  I'd prefer to be able to choose if I want the dinners or maybe just drink or shop or whatever.  It would be more meaningful to have a choice.  President's Club appears to get OBC to spend on what they want.

Edited by SilvertoGold
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SilvertoGold said:

OBC would be my first pick:  I'd prefer to be able to choose if I want the dinners or maybe just drink or shop.

We have a winner! That is the best way to handle it, unless and until a replacement for the cooking lesson is offered.
I might like the spa day one cruise, and another Pinnacle dinner another. A choice would be great. Even of the choice was limited in value to what the cooking class was worth would be fine with me. 

• Like 2

I am just off the Volendam.  The 5* cooking class was pathetic.  Not well attended.   It was making your own pasta and various pasta dishes.   Nothing any different from the America’s Test Kitchen shows.I received my 4th apron, very disappointing. The internet packages were very expensive, so we didn’t use that.

most exciting about the Amazon Explorer Cruise was being stuck on the San bar for 7 hours!

Karen

1 hour ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

How about credit towards a shore excursion?

Not in place right now and as a 5* not interested.  I don’t want to be on a bus with 40 people.

1 hour ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

I've always thought it was unfair to give credit per booking number rather than actual sailing days.  Why, for instance, would you get $30 internet credit for a 7 day cruise and the same for a 120 day world cruise?  Shouldn't it be so much per diem?

That’s a good point.  I’ve wondered about that too but I guess we should be grateful for what we get.

1 hour ago, SilvertoGold said:

I would be happy with the 2 pp complimentary Pinnacle dinners, plus 1 complimentary Tamarind dinner or Canaletto dinner or Pinnacle lunch.

However, OBC would be my first pick:  I'd prefer to be able to choose if I want the dinners or maybe just drink or shop or whatever.  It would be more meaningful to have a choice.  President's Club appears to get OBC to spend on what they want.

I LOVE this idea.  I”d far prefer the OBC.  

Let us choose where we would like to use the benefits.  Sounds like a marvellous idea to me.

When I majored in Business many years ago one of the things we were taught was the value of retaining customers.

Do they no longer teach that most basic biz practice or do all the MBA's figure they are too smart to follow time tried traditions?

Not just cruise customers but way too many companies seem to be willing to spend major ad bucks trying to get new customers but are reluctant to do much to retain the ones they have.  For Holland to throw 4 and 5 star customers a few bones that cost them very little like a free transfer or shuttle bus ride or a bottle wine or something is just good biz sense.

The good news is that the costs associated with repeat business are, generally, significantly lower. 70% of companies say it's cheaper to retain a customer than acquire one, while others have suggested that the cost of acquiring a new customer can be as much as seven times more expensive.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, dockman said:

When I majored in Business many years ago one of the things we were taught was the value of retaining customers.

Do they no longer teach that most basic biz practice or do all the MBA's figure they are too smart to follow time tried traditions?

Not just cruise customers but way too many companies seem to be willing to spend major ad bucks trying to get new customers but are reluctant to do much to retain the ones they have.  For Holland to throw 4 and 5 star customers a few bones that cost them very little like a free transfer or shuttle bus ride or a bottle wine or something is just good biz sense.

The good news is that the costs associated with repeat business are, generally, significantly lower. 70% of companies say it's cheaper to retain a customer than acquire one, while others have suggested that the cost of acquiring a new customer can be as much as seven times more expensive.

For the most part what you are saying is true, but I have had some high level officers on HAL tell me that the most profitable customers they have are the "newbies".  Long time cruisers (in general) do not buy the photos, fancy drinks, ship trickets and take as many shore excursions.  Interesting take on the situation......

• Like 1

On our last HAL cruise my DH & I used our $30 internet credits to each purchase one 24 hr package.  We only need to check email or websites occasionally and since they will not let you use both $30 internet credit towards one package for a discount of $60 this was the best way for us to take advantage of this perk.  Kinda wish they still had the per minute packages.

Also, since we are 5* we get unlimited laundry - but for several years now we have always gotten a Neptune Suite which comes with unlimited laundry.  They really need a substitute perks for those who have double the same perk - or allow it to be given to family or friends who are not 5* nor traveling in a Suite.

I like the aprons from the cooking class - give them to family/friends for Christmas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jebhoward3 said:

since they will not let you use both $30 internet credit towards one package for a discount of $60

I hadn't thought about that -- we'll have our first cruise as 5-star Mariners this spring.  We like the unlimited internet (especially on long cruises) so (2) 24-hour packages wouldn't be a good alternative for us.

I found this about ATK on another site, but am unsure if I'm allowed to link to another site on here.  I will copy and paste, and can provide a link if allowed: 

"This is a correspondence I have just received about America's Test Kitchen,,, Onboard programming EXC Port To Table has replaced some of the America’s Test Kitchen venues.... EXC Port to Table will be found around the ship in the various ways that we bring the flavors, ingredients, culinary offerings, beer, wine, cocktails, etc. of the region on board for our guests to enjoy as well as helping our guests make the most of their time ashore.
EXC Port to Table cooking shows will debut in the Caribbean, Hawaii, Mexico and AU/NZ beginning in January. The cooking shows will be cohosted by the Cruise & Travel Director and one of our onboard chefs and will feature a blend of local food culture, unique local cooking techniques and ingredients. The recipes are Holland America Line recipes scaled and edited for home cooks and will be featured in the Dining room, Lido market, and at Themed Nights in the Lido Market."

L.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Congrats on making 5 star, Dave!  As mentioned before, you can book the Pinnacle dinner in advance and just mention the fact you are 5 star on board.  I like to pre-book for events ( like Bill's birthday on our upcoming cruise) and they will credit that one free dinner.  Do check to be sure. 

I'm another vote for OBC.  I only got one free class before they discontinued the ATK, and do like the apron. I was a tad disappointed that there was no ATK class offered on the Maasdam 21 day Alaska last year, but they had several cooking demos as part of the EXC cruise.  I still have not tried to make my own fry bread.  Ooh, I just saw leerathje's post.  We're on the Maasdam from Sydney-San Diego in February, so I hope we get some of those "Port to Table" classes!

I'm glad to read the suggestions about the internet deals, as we will probably use the credits to purchase a couple of days on the upcoming trip.  As for the spa pass, it depends on the ship and itinerary. 

Getting a free day in the hot tub that is the "spa" on the smaller ships doesn't thrill me.  It's nice to have on the Vista or newer classes of ships.  I feel that on the R and S class ships they should offer a different perk (maybe a bit of OBC?) for us 5 stars instead.  It's just not the same experience.

Edited by Nanner

The 5 star cooking class was not offered on the NS back in November, nor was the apron given.  The aprons were on sale 25% off in the shops.  Guest services said the Mariner Society was to announce a replacement.

An OBC would be fine with me, too.  It should be pro rated depending on the length of your cruise.

Congrats Dave for being 5 *****.  I am glad you posted as I am interested in what might be replaced by the ATK.  We have been to several and also have given our aprons away.  Will be interesting to see what HAL decides for all ships with the cooking class.  OBC would be great.  Brad has used the $30 internet credit.  It is just deducted from the internet package that he has purchased.  We enjoy the Pinnacle meals and we book on embarkation .  Our five star always shows up and we are told it will be a complimentary meal.  Haven't done a spa day yet.  Maybe next cruise. 

Enjoy the perks on your next cruise.

23 hours ago, kazu said:

Not in place right now and as a 5* not interested.  I don’t want to be on a bus with 40 people.

That’s a good point.  I’ve wondered about that too but I guess we should be grateful for what we get.

I LOVE this idea.  I”d far prefer the OBC.  

Let us choose where we would like to use the benefits.  Sounds like a marvellous idea to me.

I so agree with Jacqui on all counts!

OBC👍 I hate being on a bus tour with 40 plus people ! Private or on our own tours is for us!

Denise😊

• Like 1