Can I sail an OCEAN MEDALLION sailing if I don't have a cell phone???

VKMcCarty

As I hear more & more about it, I wonderful if i'm going to be OK in my upcoming Caribbean OCEAN MEDALLION cruise WITH NO CELL PHONE.

Will I have trouble boarding without the app downloaded?? I have nothing to download it upon.  I've used the Medallion before to enter the cabin, but it's sounding more & more like non-cell-phone users might  not really be welcome. 

I've thought about maybe getting a burn phone just for the cruise, but I'm not really savvy about how to use it, anyway. I hope I'll be OK.

5 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Absolutely!!  Your medallion will still be used to open your door and for charging purposes. Our cell phones are turned off and put directly into the safe as soon as we set sail and we had no problems on our Ocean Medallion sailing.  

Agree - I have read so many posts about problems with the phone Apps, I decided to just ignore them and use Medallion like a Smart Cruise Card. I don't see any value in the other functions.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Agree - I have read so many posts about problems with the phone Apps, I decided to just ignore them and use Medallion like a Smart Cruise Card. I don't see any value in the other functions.

I used it for my one free drink ordered through the app ... had to get the bartender to help me.  After that, I locked my phone back up in the safe.  I am not one to be married to that device anyway.  It's kind of my pet peeve when people at my dinner table take it out and start texting or shopping online ... I  just get up, go the hostess and ask to be re-seated.  But, that's my issue ... hahaha 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, VKMcCarty said:

As I hear more & more about it, I wonderful if i'm going to be OK in my upcoming Caribbean OCEAN MEDALLION cruise WITH NO CELL PHONE.

Will I have trouble boarding without the app downloaded?? I have nothing to download it upon.  I've used the Medallion before to enter the cabin, but it's sounding more & more like non-cell-phone users might  not really be welcome. 

I've thought about maybe getting a burn phone just for the cruise, but I'm not really savvy about how to use it, anyway. I hope I'll be OK.

You're a lady after my own heart: I thought I was the only person left in the world who didn't have a smart phone! And I, too, had gotten the impression that a smart phone was an integral part of the Medallion system. I'm relieved to know that my upcoming Royal cruise should go off smoothly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, casofilia said:

What's a "Smart Phone"?   We don't even have a "Mobile Phone"!!

It's kind of my pet peeve when people at my dinner table take it out and start texting or shopping online    That is one reason why we want a two-top!!

I lock my phone in the safe as soon as I get into my cabin.

I totally agree with you about people texting at the dinner table. 
Tony

• Like 4

22 hours ago, VKMcCarty said:

Not sure where you got the idea that you would not be welcome without a cell phone? If you don't have one the medallion will be identical in function to the cruise card.

17 minutes ago, Doug R. said:

Not sure where you got the idea that you would not be welcome without a cell phone? If you don't have one the medallion will be identical in function to the cruise card.

You are kind to respond to me. The encouraging advertising made it sound as though much of the infra-structure of the MEDALLION is based on a downloaded app & the cruiser with the cell phone glued to their other hand. Would the MEDALLION work as well if the information requested in the profile in the app were not filled in??

23 minutes ago, VKMcCarty said:

You are kind to respond to me. The encouraging advertising made it sound as though much of the infra-structure of the MEDALLION is based on a downloaded app & the cruiser with the cell phone glued to their other hand. Would the MEDALLION work as well if the information requested in the profile in the app were not filled in??

As I understand it, the medallion really only replaced your old fashioned cruise card to unlock your cabin door and make onboard purchases.  If the medallion makes you uncomfortable, I understand once onboard you can go to Passenger Services Desk and ask for an old fashioned cruise card instead.  The smartphone options allow you to perform additional functions onboard that aren't really needed to enjoy your cruise.  Just go with the flow, print your boarding passes and go to the check in line at the pier.  Just don't forget to complete your cruise personalizer on Princess' internet web site.

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Glad to read this as we also will be without a smart phone for our Princess Medallion cruise.

Can we just get the cruise card, especially since it is our first at a new level?

To my mind there is an advantage to Medallion when ordering a drink, the server apparently gets your info on a pad. So no fishing for cruise card and showing you have PBP. But that is all accomplished without a smart phone.

22 hours ago, VKMcCarty said:

I wonderful if i'm going to be OK in my upcoming Caribbean OCEAN MEDALLION cruise WITH NO CELL PHONE.

I suggested this once before.  Princess is missing out by not purchasing a bunch of refurbished mini iPads and iPhones and offering them to rent out of the Internet Café.  I'm sure Princess could hold a nice deposit and have an IT company alter the software so they would only work onboard a princess ship with their network.  After just a couple of cruises they could be paid off and everything after that is pure profit.  It would also make the benefits of Medallion Class Cruises more accessible to PAX like the OP.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

As I understand it, the medallion really only replaced your old fashioned cruise card to unlock your cabin door and make onboard purchases.  If the medallion makes you uncomfortable, I understand once onboard you can go to Passenger Services Desk and ask for an old fashioned cruise card instead.  The smartphone options allow you to perform additional functions onboard that aren't really needed to enjoy your cruise.  Just go with the flow, print your boarding passes and go to the check in line at the pier.  Just don't forget to complete your cruise personalizer on Princess' internet web site.

THANK YOU SO MUCH, DANIEL!

Just knowing that---will make me gladly carry around the MEDALLION and just use it as a cruise card. And yes, I'm all set to go with Cruise Personalizer on the Princess web-site. Actually, I was already on a cruise with the MEDALLION & everybody was so energized about having the thing, but then the system at the cabin doors was glitchy & they issued us all cruise cards anyway, last January. This should be fun, Daniel!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Daniel A said:

I suggested this once before.  Princess is missing out by not purchasing a bunch of refurbished mini iPads and iPhones and offering them to rent out of the Internet Café.  I'm sure Princess could hold a nice deposit and have an IT company alter the software so they would only work onboard a princess ship with their network.  After just a couple of cruises they could be paid off and everything after that is pure profit.  It would also make the benefits of Medallion Class Cruises more accessible to PAX like the OP.

VERY GOOD IDEA. I still use the Internet cafe, but it would be fun to have access in the cabin. I'm a writer & leisure time at the keyboard is part of my vacation. Thanks, Daniel

10 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I suggested this once before.  Princess is missing out by not purchasing a bunch of refurbished mini iPads and iPhones and offering them to rent out of the Internet Café

exactly ... and we used my wife's mini ipad for everything we did pre-cruise and on the ship … granted , not much , but did order our 'free' drink

1 minute ago, voljeep said:

exactly ... and we used my wife's mini ipad for everything we did pre-cruise and on the ship … granted , not much , but did order our 'free' drink

I'm waiting for the divorce stories when a spouse was able to track their spouse to someone else's cabin...:classic_biggrin:

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, susancruzs said:

Answers my question, too as I don't use a phone while I'm on board either.  Don't know about loading apps or any of it actually.  I do wonder about the picture though, what happens about the photo?

They take a picture of you when you first board the ship.   

We don't have Smart Phones and had no problems.