Specialty Dining Gratuity? Included or not?

LMADAMS91

15 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Regardless we have always given $10 each to the one or 2 staff that wait on us.

In the personalizer specialty restaurant reservation section near the price it says "gratuity not included".

Better get out the popcorn.   😉   Its a triggering subject.   😂

Sorry! Just needed an answer!  Truly didn't mean to start a war of words but had seen conflicting statements.  We don't usually visit specialty dining but are on this trip.  Thanks to all for the comments!!

Backing away slowly.......  🙂

Edited by LMADAMS91
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

It's unpopular to admit I don't tip extra and requires a flameproof full body suit. 

But as you've already pointed out, you have tipped extra.  Twice.  So there's that. 

You just have to be someone who feels responsible for companies that don't pay a living wage to tip and 3rd or 4th time.  For those folks it will never be enough.

15 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

... I believe many of the posters here want to seem like big shots and allege they tip and tip and tip but who knows? It's unpopular to admit I don't tip extra and requires a flameproof full body suit. 

No big shot here. Could not care one bit if you tip or not. Was this comment really necessary?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Sorry to be a Grammarian, but if that was true it would be a TEP - To Ensure Prompt Service.

4 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Sorry to be a Grammarian, but if that was true it would be a TEP - To Ensure Prompt Service.

The abbreviation has been around man many years and insure is correct. The p howeve is either "proper" or "prompt" depending on the locale. The ensure/insure discussion is a recent bit of Internet trivia for internet grammarians much like the Oxford Comma. Going to the old fashioned Websters Unabridged you will find insure is correct: https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/how-to-use-insure-vs-ensure-vs-assure  as ensure falls sense 2.

16 minutes ago, TNTLAMB said:

I believe thats the purpose of  tips.... (TIP + to insure prompt service)

Actually tips are for good service AFTER the service is performed.  Tips reward past prompt service, not to insure future prompt service.  Do you tip at a restaurant before you order?

Bribes are for hopes of future good service, which is what CineGraphic implied:

5 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

Throw a few extra bucks to the bartender you'll be using most, and you'll soon see the advantages.

Edited by frugaltravel

When re-entering the US, don't forget to throw a few bucks at the US Customs Officer.  It helps to wink while you are slipping him/her the cash.  You're sure to get more personal attention than the next PAX in line.  :classic_biggrin: 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, frugaltravel said:

Actually tips are for good service AFTER the service is performed.  Tips reward past prompt service, not to insure future prompt service.  Do you tip at a restaurant before you order?

Bribes are for hopes of future good service, which is what CineGraphic implied:

Actually after the service would be a gratuity (only in the US are the terms two the same although the IRS considers them different.)  Over the years they have become the same in most eyes although tipping the bartender and the ensuing advantages is indeed a tip not a gratuity LOL

Edited by TNTLAMB

18 minutes ago, TNTLAMB said:

Actually after the service would be a gratuity (only in the US are the two the same although the IRS considers them different.)  Over the years they have become the same in most eyes although tipping the bartender and the ensuing advantages is indeed a tip not a gratuity LOL

Actually tips or gratuities are both very US/North American terms.  Tipping and gratuities are virtually non-existent in most of the world.  Also, I think you are confusing gratuities/tips with service charges as it relates to the IRS.

We will have to agree to disagree.  No more replies from me on this subject!

Edited by frugaltravel

8 hours ago, MissP22 said:

ALthough it's included we always give something extra.

If you decide to tip extra, do it in cash in hand so it doesn't get distributed to all the rest of the crew.

Agree...You are very wise Miss P22.

1 hour ago, mcrcruiser said:

It is all non essential  . Why does tipping even have to be discussed . Do what you feel is right & how would you like to be treated if the roles were reversed ?

Well, some have no idea what the norm is and that's what this site is about.  You don't want to be too low or too high.  Now that we have cruised for many many years, we do what we feel is "right" per person.  We think of it is our donations to people who truly appreciate it and have made our trip so much better.  Do we have to tip additional, no, but we feel good about doing it.  Everyone is different.  I am so thankful for this site to help me with questions I have as all of you know everything and I can trust this site.  There will always be the no tippers in the world...they are just not on the cruise ship, they are everywhere.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, katisdale said:

Ensure is a brand name for a nutritional drink. I think insure is correct.

No ....

To “ensure” that something happens is to make certain that it does, and to “insure” is to issue an insurance policy.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

No ....

To “ensure” that something happens is to make certain that it does, and to “insure” is to issue an insurance policy.

I think it's the principal of the thing....:classic_tongue:

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, TNTLAMB said:

The abbreviation has been around man many years and insure is correct. The p howeve is either "proper" or "prompt" depending on the locale. The ensure/insure discussion is a recent bit of Internet trivia for internet grammarians much like the Oxford Comma. Going to the old fashioned Websters Unabridged you will find insure is correct: https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/how-to-use-insure-vs-ensure-vs-assure  as ensure falls sense 2.

Interesting, I stand corrected. I had always thought one would 'insure' against something happening and 'ensure' that it would happen - I now see that we could also use 'assure'. 

I guess I will insure myself against bad service by giving a TIP thereby ensuring the waiter takes good care of me and thus I can feel assured nothing will go wrong. 🙂

Edited by Tedferg
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Tedferg said:

Interesting, I stand corrected. I had always thought one would 'insure' against something happening and 'ensure' that it would happen - I now see that we could also use 'assure'. 

I've always thought that to 'ensure' you are making a promise that a certain event will either occur or not occur.  To insure would be a promise to make good if the event does, in fact, either occur or not contrary to the promise of the ensured.  Just my 2 cents.

5 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

How about being recognized as you approach the bar, and having your drink ready for you when you get there?

I worked in a bar throughout university and for a while after. People who tipped are remembered in many ways. Better pours, skipping lines, far better service and just treated generally better overall. I see no reason it would work any different on a cruise.

Tip early for best results.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Are $2 bills common ? Not sure I have seen one.

Not very common.  I think the last time I saw one in circulation, although they are legal currency in the US, was back in the 80's.  I'm sure they are still around and used ... I just haven't seen one in quite some time.  The bank may see them from time to time and there are probably some collectors that are saving them up, just waiting them to become more valuable....but, I just don't think it is commonplace to see them in circulation ... at least not in my experience.