Corona Virus. It was inevitable

babs135

47 minutes ago, K32682 said:

Until now the only Coronavirus you risked on a ship was the result of drinking too many of them.  

I know you're joking (and I do love me some Corona beer jokes), but actually Coronavirus is a variety of diseases of which the "popular" one is just...well, one. So, it has been possible to get it on a cruise ship for quite some time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very true re flu risks... at least the flu vaccine can improve chances of avoiding the full impact of that.  Here at home we do practice the hand washing tips from past cruises, and are humming the Rowing-song while scrubbing up. 

Edited by LoriPhil

The person had a fever and was being tested for Coronavirus, the article I read this morning said that it was not certain.  For all we know the person might have a non-communicable infection and they are quarantining 5000 people for nothing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ducklite said:

The person had a fever and was being tested for Coronavirus, the article I read this morning said that it was not certain.  For all we know the person might have a non-communicable infection and they are quarantining 5000 people for nothing.

It has now been reported that she DOES NOT have coronavirus. So everybody can put their Hazmat suits away. 

However the quarantine was not for nothing, but was the reasonable precaution under the circumstances. Better safe than sorry.

Coronovirus can be very serious, at its worse,it can shut down your kidneys and kill you. Since it just leap to humans from animals, we have no natural immunity. China  thinks this is serious. China have isolated a whole province... shut down businesses, schools, and travel which is not good for their economy. I'm glad the WHO is being proactive. It is a serious health threat right now mostly contained to China. But with our global travel, it is better to be vigilant. And yes, I know the flu kills a lot of people each year.

Edited by Ferry Beach Kayaker
typo

1 hour ago, ducklite said:

So now we quarantine an entire ship if someone has the flu?  Noro?  A cold?

Until more is known about the corona virus, it makes sense to take precautions.  New strains of old diseases can be overwhelming as there may be no natural immunity.  The 1919 influenza pandemic which killed tens of millions - and far more US soldiers than were killed in WW I - was a surprise:  it was just enough different.   The rapid spread of this strain does indicate that there may be something more to it than is  immediately recognized.

Precautions are being stepped up, no matter the nationality, no one who has travelled from or via China or Hongkong can board a ship. The screening of passengers (temperature above 100) is occurring and anyone showing possible signs are not allowed aboard.

5 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Precautions are being stepped up, no matter the nationality, no one who has travelled from or via China or Hongkong can board a ship. The screening of passengers (temperature above 100) is occurring and anyone showing possible signs are not allowed aboard.

If the practice of denying boarding takes hold there is likely to be a significant slump in bookings - unless people are assured of full refunds (which would be very costly for the cruise lines) there is bound to be a reluctance - at least for a time- to book cruises (and incur related expenses such as travel and hotel which would not be reimbursesble) , people are going to think very carefully before putting money down.

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

If the practice of denying boarding takes hold there is likely to be a significant slump in bookings - unless people are assured of full refunds (which would be very costly for the cruise lines) there is bound to be a reluctance - at least for a time- to book cruises (and incur related expenses such as travel and hotel which would not be reimbursesble) , people are going to think very carefully before putting money down.

Some lines are providing full refunds.